The Rumour Thread

I'm curious how much more they can simplify Underworlds and keep it still being a game in Dreadfane. WIth Bloodbowl -> Blitzbowl there was a lot to take out and still leave plenty behind, but Underworlds is already a pretty simple board game. It sounds like it might only play with predefined decks, and I guess the deck building is probably one of the more complex parts of Underworlds.

1 hour ago, Greasygeek said:

So yeah.. ehm Stormvaults is out and ehm.. its not quite what was hoped for. 

#onceagainthehypetrainscrashes

09C3A554-AE92-4019-9EBC-74A97D5F5C04.jpeg

😂

This is brilliant........

Stormcast is the least liked faction and they have nothing better to do than designing a board game for Stormcast only.

Bravo guys.........

I thought i was incredible funny when i predicted a Stormcast only box.... well...  O.o

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

😂

This is brilliant........

Stormcast is the least liked faction and they have nothing better to do than designing a board game for Stormcast only.

Bravo guys.........

I thought i was incredible funny when i predicted a Stormcast only box.... well...  O.o

Never seen more ellipses in my life... .

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Mhm...

I am actually not Interested in any of these releases.

perhaps we aren‘t the target audience?

I’m actually interested in both. I’ve already been playing a simplified version of Shadespire with my sons.  Either of these would make a pretty good present for them. The name stormvault can’t be a coincidence, can it?I wonder if it has anything at all to do with forbidden power. 

21 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I’m actually interested in both. I’ve already been playing a simplified version of Shadespire with my sons.  Either of these would make a pretty good present for them. The name stormvault can’t be a coincidence, can it?I wonder if it has anything at all to do with forbidden power. 

For GW boardgames, I'm usually interested for the models, but Stormvault has none and mini-Shadespire is models I already have. But the 40k arena game looks nice for the models. A lot of the times you're paying for the models or less and getting a free game out of it. I know that's how it was for their recent Lord of the Rings boardgame that came with the exact sprue of the Fellowship they sell standalone for the same price as the models only.

it looks like at least some of the Stormvault models are already existing ones too. Pretty sure one is Whatsisname Stormsire from the Nightvault box.

Edit: actually it looks like the 5 models you get are half from the Cursebreakers Warband and half from the Farstriders Warband.

Edited by JPjr

5 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

It just looks so incredibly bland. 

Agreed. Zero interest in it myself, but I like crushing stormcast over collecting them xD.

Really puts a wash on the forbidden power speculation, though I'm sure the Stormvaults are more then just this random boxed game.

As someone doing more hobby with an eye towards gaming and eventual AoS Killteam, all these boxed board-games just don't grab me at all. GW has so many, the market must be getting saturated by now right?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

GW has so many, the market must be getting saturated by now right?

I would expect to see more actually. Boardgames are HUUUUUUUUGE at the moment, so these are a  win/win for GW. 

Push out games that will appeal to the tonnes of people who might not be into big wargames but either enjoy straight up boardgames or are part of the equally large new wave of RPG fans who might just want something in a fantasy vein to play quickly and easily with friends. 

You sell a load of games, shift some more models, introduce the Warhammer worlds to new people and at least a % off them might start exploring the main games. Especially when there's now more of a natural progression available, like... "oh this was fun and I enjoyed painting these half dozen models, ah so you're saying I can take these models and also have the basis for a skirmish/kill team sized game, nice I'll try that now."

and then 6 months later.... "so yeah here's my 5000 point Seraphon army and over here is my 4000 point Tau army and I'm just about to start a new Darkoath army, and my bank manager keeps calling me and I havent seen my real friends for 2 months"

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Agreed. Zero interest in it myself, but I like crushing stormcast over collecting them xD.

Really puts a wash on the forbidden power speculation, though I'm sure the Stormvaults are more then just this random boxed game.

As someone doing more hobby with an eye towards gaming and eventual AoS Killteam, all these boxed board-games just don't grab me at all. GW has so many, the market must be getting saturated by now right?

Aside from a few bigger games like those in the Warhammer Quest line or games that have their own model lines(Bloodbowl, Underworlds), most GW board games that use their models aren't often good enough to stand on their own, but not a terrible pack in of you want the miniatures anyway. The Quest to Mount Doom game that was one of their B&N exclusives is an okay game, but if I don't want the models, I probably wouldn't bother with it.  Blitz Bowl may be and exception, it actually does work a filler version of Blood Bowl. I would suspect that maybe Dreadfane may be the same Underworlds fans as Blitz Bowl is to me(though Underworlds has a lot less to simplify, so they may risk it being too watered down), but Stormvault may be more of Quest to Mount Doom in that it's not worth much as a game if you don't want to models(the picture of the board seems to have some passing similarity to QtMD, so maybe even similar in more ways).

4 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I would expect to see more actually. Boardgames are HUUUUUUUUGE at the moment, so these are a  win/win for GW. 

Push out games that will appeal to the tonnes of people who might not be into big wargames but either enjoy straight up boardgames or are part of the equally large new wave of RPG fans who might just want something in a fantasy vein to play quickly and easily with friends. 

You sell a load of games, shift some more models, introduce the Warhammer worlds to new people and at least a % off them might start exploring the main games. Especially when there's now more of a natural progression available, like... "oh this was fun and I enjoyed painting these half dozen models, ah so you're saying I can take these models and also have the basis for a skirmish/kill team sized game, nice I'll try that now."

and then 6 months later.... "so yeah here's my 5000 point Seraphon army and over here is my 4000 point Tau army and I'm just about to start a new Darkoath army, and my bank manager keeps calling me and I havent seen my real friends for 2 months"

Very true! I suppose the name of the game is accessibility, and anything that gets more people painting minis is a net positive for GW. Must just be my circles, as I've never met anyone who buys set for the game, but rather just to get access to the models haha. They rotate out quickly enough as well I suppose, as the next thing is always on the horizon to replace the limited runs!

Same reason I'm so excited for Killteam after all. A tight, fun system to justify picking up armies and ranges peacemeal! 

6 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Exactly - GW has woken up and realised that the market is flooded with stuff today. Mobile phones, tablets, computers, other wargames, consoles, TV etc... The hobby market is heavily saturated, esp for the geek market today. GW realises that they've got to cast a wide net - board games, computer games, audio books, childrens books etc... Cast a wide enough net to spread awareness and interest and from those you'll get direct profit back from those subsidiary investments or licences and a direct investment back from those that get tempted into the main product lines. 

GW is very much the gateway product for scifi and fantasy miniature wargames. They can't rely on 3rd party stores (they are more likely to push Magic the Gathering of Yugio) and they don't have global coverage of their own stores. So they've got to have this approach of a wide net to ensure that 40K, Age of Sigmar and GW are as household as iPads and Nintendo. 

Basically they are on the front lines and if they don't grow or at least stabilize the influx of new gamers they can run the eventual risk of generation gaps. When they wind up with a whole older generation leaving and leaving GW with nothing new on the table. If GW gets like that it can cripple them fast. GW is a big company with a lot of overheads and direct UK production facilities and land rents. If they have to, at any point, consider downsizing its going to hurt them hard. so wide net, lots of alternate product lines; licence out the brand; control the brand and secure more customers. I think they've learned some of those form the Lord of the Rings. I think that bubble bursting suddenly was a massive wake up call to them that, whilst their own brands won't die fast, it can happen. Heck it nearly did for Fantasy. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 minutes ago, Shankelton said:

Must just be my circles

I think this is totally key, I think we'll see an increasingly aggressive drive to market GW products to people well outside of all our circles. There's this absolutely massive market of people out there that are about as far from us obsessive weirdos as you can get but who over the last ten years have happily gone to see all the Tolkien films, bought the DVDs, are obsessed with Game of Thrones, Marvel movies etc etc etc but would never describe themselves as 'fantasy' or 'Sci-fi' fans and I'd say that until now they haven't been great at marketing to (or just haven't bothered).

We've seen Dungeons & Dragons start to tap into that market and whilst that's a lot of an easier sell than Warhammer they'd be fools not to try and grab this once in a bad moon opportunity to grow the hobby and reach out to the kind of people that would never normally consider it.

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 4