The Rumour Thread

On 1/30/2019 at 10:33 AM, Forrix said:

@Ndabreaker Have you heard anything about new Stormcast releases? I'm just morbidly curious :P.

You mean beside the already known ?

- 2 new Stormcast Books and 47 new models before Seraphon

-Seraphon March

-  1 new Stormcast Book and 3 new chambers including 73 new model each

- Slaves of Darkness in Summer

- 1 new Starter Box Stormcast vs Stormcast "Chamber Wars". Between 321 to 478 new models are rumored. Internal sources say it could be higher.

- Slaneesh around October

- 1 new Starter Box Stormcast vs Stormcast "Chambers united".  Low count of new units around 150 are expected.

- Before Christmas Light Aelves vs Shadow Aelves Starterbox will be released. Starterbox "Battle of light and Darkness" includes 210 new Stormcast models and 2 Citadel Trees. One with black and grey paint bundle, the other one with white and yellow bundle. No new Aelves are included.

Beside that we have just unconfirmed rumours for 2020. But they already leaked there will be 6 major Stormcast releases.

Sources within GW confirmed their target is to push that number to 12 plus 24 smaller releases around 180 new models each.

There are also some future plans to build a recycling factory in every major city for people to bring the Stormcast half

from every future Starter Box.  There was a public complaint from Ebay and Kijiji. Everytime a Starter Box came out so far

the  Ebay and Kijiji Servers couldn't handle the load of all the offers for the Stormcast half of the Starter Box.

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

18 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I suggest checking out the new Stormcast podcast episode 2. The designer is interviewed and gives lots of insight. The Beasts book was not low effort.

That said, it may be suffering from the Cruddace effect. He was assigned Tomb Kings as his first fantasy book, and he failed very badly as a result of not having a clue what he was doing with them. He got better over time, but TK were miserable for years. The guy who did Beasts was brand new when he got the assignment.

So, maybe just bad results, but not low effort.

I think we are discussing the same sort of thing, but just in different ways.  When there is a team of people these products should be more of a team effort.  I write software for a living.  We work in teams, but the bulk of any particular piece of work is ultimately a solo effort in most cases.  But even so you rarely send anything out to the customer without having multiple people review and test it.

From an organizational point of view having a single person work on something, especially if they are inexperienced, I would say is "low effort".  That does not mean that the writer did not put effort into it - but the organization as a whole did not spend much effort on it.  As an example, if I were to take a software feature and give it 100% to a new engineer (or an intern) without much supervision then I would say that is something of quite low effort and probably not very important to the company/project on the whole.  If it was something very important then there would be more resources & supervision involved.

By the way, as I said I think the guy did a pretty good job.  Maybe he missed some unit rules/costs and potential synergy, but the framework he designed for the army is quite a great foundation that can be built on and also applied to other armies as well (Gloomspite is very similar).  

11 hours ago, Kramer said:

I think it’s more down to the learning curve of the team. It’s a valiant effort but it was the first book designed by the guy that did hinterlands. 

Handing a book to the new guy and not putting much effort into iterating & refining what he comes up with strikes me as "low effort" for a team.  I'm not saying that the person who wrote it did not put much effort into it - but I still posit that the organization & broader team effort was low.  And again, I think the guy did a great job on the army foundation.  If this was a first effort for him then it was a pretty fantastic one - but the team should have refined what he came up with.  Hopefully they come back around and do that at some point.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kurrilino said:

-Seraphon March

- 1 new Starter Box Stormcast vs Stormcast "Chamber Wars". Between 321 to 478 new models are rumored. Internal sources say it could be higher.

- 1 new Starter Box Stormcast vs Stormcast "Chambers united".  Low count of new units around 150 are expected.

- Before Christmas Light Aelves vs Shadow Aelves Starterbox will be released. Starterbox "Battle of light and Darkness" includes 210 new Stormcast models and 2 Citadel Trees. One with black and grey paint bundle, the other one with white and yellow bundle. No new Aelves are included.

Beside that we have just unconfirmed rumours for 2020. But they already leaked there will be 6 major Stormcast releases.

Sources within GW confirmed their target is to push that number to 12 plus 24 smaller releases around 180 new models each.

There are also some future plans to build a recycling factory in every major city for people to bring the Stormcast half

from every future Starter Box.  There was a public complaint from Ebay and Kijiji. Everytime a Starter Box came out so far

the  Ebay and Kijiji Servers couldn't handle the load of all the offers for the Stormcast half of the Starter Box.

I'm pretty sure GW wouldn't release an AOS starter box without Stormcast. That said, this is consistent with another rumor regarding the launch of Grand Alliance: Stormcast.

14 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I am personally glad they are keeping the current models especially the skinks. Aesthetics are personal opinion and something that everyone has a strong opinion on. 

The only models in the current range that I think are in need of a refresh are the razardon/salamander skink handlers. 

I would put the knights in the category of models that need update as well.  The riders are ok, but those mounts looked terrible even when first released.  The older fat plastic cold ones looked better and the updated Dark Elf Cold One models are miles better.

At some point they will also want to rework some kits simply to remove the resin from their lines and shift to plastic.  I think the Slaan model looks great (Kroak also), but eventually they will want to shift it to a plastic kit.

5 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think the Slaan model looks great (Kroak also), but eventually they will want to shift it to a plastic kit.

True, and can you imagine a modern 2019 plastic Slaan, with all the latest tools and tricks at their disposal?  So many different directions they could go with such a kit...

Edited by amysrevenge
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

True, and can you imagine a modern 2019 plastic Slaan, with all the latest tools and tricks at their disposal?  So many different directions they could go with such a kit...

Yeah, they could do crazy stuff with it.  I am sure they could make a fancy centerpiece model.

I kinda hope they don't do that for the Slaan though.  I like fancy sculpts, but I also think that in some cases less is more and the current Slaan is a good example of this.  The Slaan is a giant grumpy mystical frog often lost in his own thought or engaging in a magical battle of will & intellect.  I think the current model does a good job of portraying that.  Seraphon already have giant dinosaur monsters and those seem more fitting as large dynamic centerpiece models.  Whenever they resculpt the Slaan into a plastic kit I hope that they do something more akin to Nighthaunt with Lady Oleander & Kurdos Valentian as more restrained sculpts and leave something else as the big over the top centerpiece (Black Coach for Night Haunt).  But thats just like my opinion man...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Would look pretty sick! I'm just excited to see what people will do with some kind of constellation endless spell. 

Honestly, I'm just as excited about that Gutbuster rumor. The ogres have aged real well, but I'm pumped what additions could look like with the tools today! Here's hoping the DoK style update rumor is true!

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Handing a book to the new guy and not putting much effort into iterating & refining what he comes up with strikes me as "low effort" for a team.  I'm not saying that the person who wrote it did not put much effort into it - but I still posit that the organization & broader team effort was low.  And again, I think the guy did a great job on the army foundation.  If this was a first effort for him then it was a pretty fantastic one - but the team should have refined what he came up with.  Hopefully they come back around and do that at some point.

Absolutely! And to reply to @The_Yellow_Sign 

I read your reaction and I don't know if you disagree or agree with me? Because yes it needs a good player* but it already successful in different builds. So in that sense it's very well written right? Also regarding playing to their fluff... yeah have to agree. Sometimes it feels like it misses a bit, but it mostly feels really cool to me.

13 hours ago, The_Yellow_Sign said:

The Beastlord, which is the only classic Brayherd unit that lacks run+charge, is also an example of bad warscroll design from a gameplay and thematic perspective. He's supposed to be a Bestigor that bested the previous Beastlord, but then he inexplicably lost the ability to run+charge? It makes him too slow to keep up with the army and buff the units that he's supposed to buff, with a CA that is already very situational and difficult to trigger. He just doesn't work in his intended role, because Beasts of Chaos units do not want to (and are not really able to) enter into prolonged combats. 

But to take this as an example, and the cygor is the same, the Bestigor warscroll hasn't changed. And it should have according to your comment (again I do kind of agree) but no warscroll has really changed in that book. So that might be a design choice. Maybe the wrong one, but it doesn't feel like a low effort book to me. Which is where the convo started

*let's face it all armies do if your bar is to win bigger tournaments. ;) 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Absolutely! And to reply to @The_Yellow_Sign 

I read your reaction and I don't know if you disagree or agree with me? Because yes it needs a good player* but it already successful in different builds. So in that sense it's very well written right? Also regarding playing to their fluff... yeah have to agree. Sometimes it feels like it misses a bit, but it mostly feels really cool to me.

But to take this as an example, and the cygor is the same, the Bestigor warscroll hasn't changed. And it should have according to your comment (again I do kind of agree) but no warscroll has really changed in that book. So that might be a design choice. Maybe the wrong one, but it doesn't feel like a low effort book to me. Which is where the convo started

*let's face it all armies do if your bar is to win bigger tournaments. ;) 

The Bestigor warscroll actually did change, and was much improved (1 extra attack on the charge, reroll 1's to hit vs. order, +1 hit vs. 10+ model units) to bring it in line with modern 32mm elite infantry like Namarti Thralls.

The Gor warscroll was changed with an inexplicable nerf to Anarchy, kicking in only at 20+ models and removing the possibility of +1 to wound. 

There were quite a lot of other changed scrolls---in fact most of them were modified at least a little bit (other than Cygor). But it feels like a lot of the warscrolls were done with little to no playtesting (or mathhammer), and I think that it was definitely low effort on that end.  Poor pointing of units is a relatively minor issue when you can change points in the GHB, but bad warscroll design (Gors, Beastlord, Cygor) is a long-lasting problem. 

• Like 2

Heads up for those in the UK/Eu block - Wayland Games have a whole roster of Start Collecting sets in stock right now at the pre-pricerise prices. Probably the last chance (save for local stores and/or ebay*) to get them. 

Of course even with the price rises they are still very good deals, you are still making a saving, just not as much - esp on some that went up to £60.

*though as of late I've noticed a fair chunk of stuff on ebay being priced "buy now" at prices higher than even on the GW store. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

-Seraphon March

I think you forgot the new books where the Celestant-Prime rebels and tries to kill Sigmar, but only cripple him. Now Sigmar sits, impotent, on a golden throne while the Celestant-Prime takes half the Stormcast and starts worshipping the Chaos Gods. I heard the title will be The Prime Heresy or something.

Why do I have a sort of salty taste in my mouth now...?

/s

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On a more topic related note, it looks like most of the dual boxes we got last year, 40k and AoS, have disappeared from the store. There's only Realm of Chaos and the official Starter boxes left I think. Blightwar lasted a bit over a year but Wake the dead, Tooth and claw and Forgebane only about what... 6 months? I guess if we want those dual boxes, we won't be able to wait very long for them, they're kinda short term deals.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Minis by Night said:

On a more topic related note, it looks like most of the dual boxes we got last year, 40k and AoS, have disappeared from the store. There's only Realm of Chaos and the official Starter boxes left I think. Blightwar lasted a bit over a year but Wake the dead, Tooth and claw and Forgebane only about what... 6 months? I guess if we want those dual boxes, we won't be able to wait very long for them, they're kinda short term deals.

They are designed to be short term deals; mostly to promote new models and encourage sales. Once the unique models are being boxed in their own packs the duel kits go away. So yep they are for jumping on fas.t 

5 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

From an organizational point of view having a single person work on something, especially if they are inexperienced, I would say is "low effort".  That does not mean that the writer did not put effort into it - but the organization as a whole did not spend much effort on it

I hear ya, but if that podcast is to be believed, it was a full team effort that they really thought was good. 

If you have not, I strongly recommend watching it.

I think it just shows that GW rules writers are not Magic the Gathering rules writers - there are gaps in their team and I think that's born of many years of working the same way. They are trying new things here, but we are still dealing with the same staff so they are on the learning curve of things too. Though they appear to be doin very well! We are getting a lot more Battletomes and Codex where there's multiple viable approaches and where we are more talking about a few bad units rather than the only couple of good ones in the whole book. That's a massive turn around. 

I know a few years back all Tyranid players ever spoke about was duel devourer Hive Tyrants. Now they are talking about loads of other things and whilst there are still some under performing models; by and large there's variety and choice in approach. 

I think the real testing element will be once GW finishes with BAttletomes and starts polishing them as well as adding new things to the game. How they take the groundwork they've established now and evolve the title and armies. 

Edited by Overread
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Overread said:

Heads up for those in the UK/Eu block - Wayland Games have a whole roster of Start Collecting sets in stock right now at the pre-pricerise prices. Probably the last chance (save for local stores and/or ebay*) to get them. 

Of course even with the price rises they are still very good deals, you are still making a saving, just not as much - esp on some that went up to £60.

*though as of late I've noticed a fair chunk of stuff on ebay being priced "buy now" at prices higher than even on the GW store. 

Be careful with waylandgames. I've had bad experiences on 3 occassions out of 5. Twice waiting times of ~3 months and one time of damaged goods due to bad packaging (box got crushed in the mail). They are cheap for a reason it seems, but larger orders seem difficult for them to manage. They do refund quickly if requested though :). 

Edited by Kugane
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ndabreaker said:

Your source seems to be given you more details then mine. Do you have any info on the seraphon. I would like to compare what we have been told?

Let's see.

From what i heard the Battletome will be

Seraphon and beyond

The last Chambers of Stormcast

It will focus on the only untouched  Stormcast chambers left.

The Kitchen-Helper, the Stardrake-Keeper and the Palace-Janitors.

The new model kits come with different version of shovels to pick up poop. Beside that they look exactly like every other Stormcast with armor and everything.

The only Seraphon related topic will be a conversation of Stormcast-Kitchenhelper listening to a conversation between 2 Stormcast Janitors

where they talk about one of them has seen a Skink from more than 600 feet distance.

What details can you offer ?

Edited by Kurrilino
  • Like 2