The Rumour Thread

6 minutes ago, Chikout said:

I have a feeling that our next pre-order will be Harrowdeep. We've had four previews of the set now, and the 'right around the corner' is more than the usual coming soon we get. 

Screenshot_20211005-212241.png

That and the video they put out yesterday said hitting shelves in October. My guess is this Sundays coming next week will be Harrowdeep. 

6 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

If I had a Stormdrake guard for every time GW mentioned they were just around the corner...

You would have 0 stormdrake guard. They've said coming soon a bunch of times but never anything else. They usually don't change their language until the product is just a couple of weeks away. 

Never mind, I have just ran through the prices and you don't save money... there is no discount and yet somewhat they have decided that these "bundles" will be available for a week only  😂

Available for a Limited Time Only
This bundle is only available for one week only – from Tuesday the 5th of October until Tuesday the 12th of October 2021. Order yours today to avoid missing out!

Edited by Sigmarusvult
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Beliman said:

They don't even need to make new unique troop models, they can just tweak a warscroll in any supplement/White Dwarf and call it a day

They actually used to do that. I think it was on the big forge world book but they had a dozen of different characters without minis but with unique rules. Im not really sure why they stopped doing that tbh.

• Like 1

Just now, Higolx said:

Im not really sure why they stopped doing that tbh

Because they cannot prevent others from selling a model that fit their rules without making one in the first place

And as GW does not really understand how Copyright and Trademarks work, they don't want to make any rules without a dedicated model

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Technically the Underworld minis are named Stormcast in various flavours, but they are also close to unusable.

I really hope GW doesn't take any cues from space marines for stormcast. There's more difference between each stormhost than between colours of space marines. I consider any design time spent on them wasted, when an upgrade sprue and paint job gets an almost identical effect.

Technically they are not even AoS minis anyways. They're Underworlds minis that can be used in AoS just like Blackstone Fortress minis can be used in 40K.

Also, if you think the only difference between space marine chapters are the colors youre so wrong. I could just go on talking about iron hand clan politics and how they are super connected to the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Salamanders and their version of the Imperial cult, the Prothean cult and the differences in how they deal with humans, the blood angels struggles with their genetic flaws, the imperial fists and their deep connections with their successor chapters and the last wall but this is an AoS forum so that would be weird. Just know that those chapterd have DECADES of story to make them different enough from each other.

2 minutes ago, Kodos der Henker said:

Because they cannot prevent others from selling a model that fit their rules without making one in the first place

And as GW does not really understand how Copyright and Trademarks work, they don't want to make any rules without a dedicated model

Oh yeah, the chapterhouse case. Youre, right.

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

I do not think it is an ogor because of this rumour engine:

image.png.05d4eb8b8100de39001dccb8c1f66864.png

The iconography looks very nighthaunt and this looks very much like the stem of a ship of some kind. 

image.png.05d3f60d1c220c23589a81138874b6ec.png

I think we got ghost ships inbound.

I swear GW if you release another Undead Ogor before a fleshy boi I'll be none pleased!!

12 hours ago, The Red King said:

Please no. We do not need stormcast getting the space marine treatment of needing individual sculpts and supplements for every storm host. 

As a Stormcast player that'd run me out of the game. I don't want the Marine treatment any more than they already are given.

13 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Are we likely to get the Lord-Commanders for the other Stormhosts and do we have any info on any of them? I feel like narratively and in terms of Sculpt they would be easier to implement than the Primarchs in 40k.

That being said, I think Hallowed Knights is the only other Stormhost who'd get a Lord-Commander. I do expect another "Celestial" character though, maybe the Celestial Shield if Azyr is breached.

11 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

I also wish every named character had an unnamed equivalent ruleswise for people who want to develop their own lore

They do, except for Yndrasta and Bastian. Celestant-Prime is halfsies since it's established he helps out any Stormhost in need (setting precedent for non-Hammers paint schemes).

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kodos der Henker said:

We had a new unit for Horus Heresy yesterday (Atramentar), that Forge World encourage you to convert if you want to play with it.

49 minutes ago, Higolx said:

Technically they are not even AoS minis anyways. They're Underworlds minis that can be used in AoS just like Blackstone Fortress minis can be used in 40K.

Also, if you think the only difference between space marine chapters are the colors youre so wrong. I could just go on talking about iron hand clan politics and how they are super connected to the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Salamanders and their version of the Imperial cult, the Prothean cult and the differences in how they deal with humans, the blood angels struggles with their genetic flaws, the imperial fists and their deep connections with their successor chapters and the last wall but this is an AoS forum so that would be weird. Just know that those chapterd have DECADES of story to make them different enough from each other.

Honestly, I think Cities of Sigmar makes a lot more sense than Stormcast to get the Space Marines treatment where different subfactions (cities) get different distinct books. I'm very interested to see what their next update looks like. 

• Like 3

• Subscriber

The HH Black Books contain rules for entire armies specifically to encourage you to convert or use alternative minis. Things like the Imperialis Militia and Cults lists, the Ruinstorm Daemons and some of the Mechanicum were released with no specific models. 

They used to do this for WHFB as well with Tamurkhan having rules for Legion of Azgorh units that had no existing models, such as hobgoblins and the K'Daii destroyer. With the move to AoS they changed the Legion of Azgorh to only have rules for the existing model kits. 

As for the discussion on named chararacters, I'm sure this goes all the way back into the hobby for both WHFB and 40K as special characters have always been contentiuous for some players. 

Edited by SunStorm

10 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Honestly, I think Cities of Sigmar makes a lot more sense than Stormcast to get the Space Marines treatment where different subfactions (cities) get different distinct books. I'm very interested to see what their next update looks like. 

I am very much looking forward to see if the rumored Dawnbreaker crusades really have something new. If it is simply going to replace cities and just use the same models or they will add something more and new to it. I hope so, because every setting is just richer if you have the actual people present.

Same with 40k, space marines are so watered down because everyone are super soldiers now, but if there were no imperial guard or cultist dudes, demigods would just be the new normal.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dmorley21 said:

Ngl I hope no army in AoS get the space marine treatment. With the black templars codex we have 5 EXTRA books besides core space marines (not counting grey knights). Thats 5 entire armies still waiting for their new edition book. Heck, space marines have their own tab on the 40k store. Its like theyre their onw Grand Alliance. IF GW wants to do more suplements to different subfactions I sicerely hope they do that by the end of the edition but personally Im not the biggest fan of the space marine treatment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Higolx said:

Space marines might have written differences, but I don't see that in their models. Might be that I think they all look like weirdly proportioned uninspired religious zealots and I don't see a really big distinction between symbol a vs symbol b. Not like between the first stormcast chapter and the last two, that actually have different models.

As for Underworlds: they are named characters that are playable in AoS, just like things like Archaon or Kratakros. They abide by the sa mm e limitations and have their own warscrolls. I do agree these characters are wildly underutilised.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Space marines might have written differences, but I don't see that in their models. Might be that I think they all look like weirdly proportioned uninspired religious zealots and I don't see a really big distinction between symbol a vs symbol b. Not like between the first stormcast chapter and the last two, that actually have different models.

I'll give that stormcast have more distinct models when you compare chambers BUT here's where it kinda gets problematic with space marines. While in SCE all stormhost have access to all the minis except for named characters of other storm hosts, space marines actually have chapter specific units that literally can only be used by a specific chapter. Only the blood angels can use the sanguinary guard, only space wolfes can use thunderwolf cavalry etc. But thats not even the worst part, some of this chapters have their own version of existing units but with a slight twist so gw actually has to either launch an upgrade sprue for them or launch a complete "new" unit thats just a version of an existing unit (see deathwing knights) or a combination of existing units (iron father, sanguinary priest). Heck, sometimes its literally just the same unit with adifferent name (see space wolves librarians, techmarines and chaplains). It would be like if the Hallowed knight had their own version of the liberators with a slight difference in appearance and GW decided to launch a whole new unit that ONLY the hallowed knights could use. Or if the lord relictor of the Astral Templars had a different name so they needed to have a unique miniature but the functionality is literally the same as a lord relictor.

Pics added for reference: sanguinary guard, thunderwolf cavalry and deathwing knights.

images - 2021-10-05T120757.735.jpeg

images - 2021-10-05T120812.340.jpeg

images - 2021-10-05T121308.878.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Another Harrowdeep article out, looking like 2nd or 3rd week of October release is on the money

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/05/one-warband-wants-to-cleanse-harrowdeep-the-other-just-wants-to-have-their-grubby-mates-over/

Bermuda Triangle vibes anyone? 😅

When your boss taps you on the shoulder and tells you they have an “opportunity” for you, it’s never good news. Now, imagine that your boss was Sigmar, the God-King himself. He dispatched Xandire’s Truthseekeers to investigate ships that regularly disappear after leaving the port of Misthåven in the realm of Ulgu. The Stormcast Eternals soon chanced upon a cursed whirlpool that led them to Harrowdeep, a shadowy labyrinth beneath the floor of the Shadowsea.

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sigmarusvult said:

I have just received an email from GW, they are selling two bundles for 40K from today till the 12 of October. Perhaps we might see  similar deals for AoS in the futur ?

Untitled.jpg

I think that we can assume that the AoS equivalent would be Stormcast and Orruk Warclans. However, these are not just the contents of the starter set so maybe if we get an AOS version it will be Vanguard/Sacrosanct and Iron Jawz? I could imagine the Stormcast half being the Soul Wars pieces but bulked out to be full units and the Orruk Warclans being an Iron Jawz Start Collecting box, Brutes and a Mawcrusher.  

As much as I hate Space Marines I am kind of tempted as I have been playing around with the idea of creating my own chapter of Fallen Angels to run as Dark Angels and Chaos Space Marines, but I am not blown away by the prices of these sets. Especially since as the starter armies the second hand rate for them both is pretty decent. 

While there are a lot more stormcast than there need to be at this point, I think they fall short of having the space marine problem.

The issue in 40K is that the ideas of having an army of Vikings, vampires, crusaders etc in SPAAACE! are generally good ones, but by making them all different flavours of Space Marine they make it so that there really isn't much if you don't like that power armoured aesthetic.

While GW have made a lot of stormcast they basically all have the theme of crusading knights, and when they do release vikings, vampires etc, they have a much more varied look to them. This keeps the game as a whole a lot more varied, but it does mean that there is less space for Stormcast to develop into, because they can't just make stormcast versions of other faction's archetypes without it seeming weird. In 40K so many of the factions are space marines already that making a new faction more power armoured super-soldiers doesn't seem out of place, and they can make more unique variant units.

• Like 8

Just now, EccentricCircle said:

While there are a lot more stormcast than there need to be at this point, I think they fall short of having the space marine problem. Or rather, they have a different problem all their own...

The issue in 40K is that the ideas of having an army of Vikings, vampires, crusaders etc in SPAAACE! are generally good ones, but by making them all different flavours of Space Marine they make it so that there really isn't much if you don't like that power armoured aesthetic.

While GW have made a lot of stormcast they basically all have the theme of crusading knights, and when they do release vikings, vampires etc, they have a much more varied look to them. This keeps the game as a whole a lot more varied, but it does mean that there is less space for Stormcast to develop into, because they can't just make stormcast versions of other faction's archetypes without it seeming weird. In 40K so many of the factions are space marines already that making a new faction more power armoured super-soldiers doesn't seem out of place, and they can make more unique variant units.