Jump to content

The Rumour Thread


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

99% sure it's not Chaos Dwarfs. To begin with, they did mention 3rd edition would be more about reinforcing the existing armies than bringing new ones, so I don't expect Chaos Dwarfs until reaaally late into the edition, if ever.

My guess is on Skaven or BoC, too. As a Nurgle player I'd love to finally get the update/extended release I need, but I'm not really expecting it, and nothing seems to point at Nurgle as a possibility.

Ah, now that I further think of it, it could be BoC or Nurgle as well on account of some rumors that have been flouting around. I’d like to see an update to Nurgle, but I’d prefer Beastmen are because of how weak their current rendition is. 
 

If Nurgle were to get an update, it be nice to see more mortal troop choices; their range exclusively consists of Blightkings as some rendition. My fingers are crossed that there will be, at some point, Pestigors and Khorngors that are added to their respected allegiances.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I think the Kruleboyz make sense only if you view them as an expansion of the Warclans soup. Warclans already have boar boyz and Gore-Gruntas. I personally would love to see some kit-bashes for the Gore-Gruntas as they already look swampy. 

On the other hand, if you look at monsters for Warclans, you have the Mawcrusha and thats' it, unless you include the Rogue Idol. 

I think the Kruleboyz range has given Warclans players a range of options (ranged, chaff screens, easy access to MW's) that they didn't have before. Otherwise GW would give Kruleboyz everything and the rest of the Orruk range would become obselete. 

Think of factions like Mawtribes or Fyreslayers whose players would kill to have an expansion pack of kits come out for their army...

If there is a Firebelly Expansion to Mawtribes and it's only half, nay a quarter as big as Kruelboyz and I'll lose my mind!!

57 minutes ago, Thane said:

I still have faith...

2020-10-27.jpg

My hype for Mawtribes rises!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Subscriber
14 minutes ago, AngryPanda said:

Ah, now that I further think of it, it could be BoC or Nurgle as well on account of some rumors that have been flouting around. I’d like to see an update to Nurgle, but I’d prefer Beastmen are because of how weak their current rendition is. 
 

If Nurgle were to get an update, it be nice to see more mortal troop choices; their range exclusively consists of Blightkings as some rendition. My fingers are crossed that there will be, at some point, Pestigors and Khorngors that are added to their respected allegiances.

Some poxwalkeresque minis would be cool, but maybe a bit close to zombies, although I'm sure GW could make them unique.

I'm with you on the pestigors (we don't talk about the BB version...) They'd be so cool to see updated and would be a nice way to give both BoC and the Maggotkin something new. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My issue with Kruleboyz is the new aesthetic. War clans is now 3.5 different aesthetics (ardboyz). I’d argue that it would have been much better for Destruction and warclans if GW expanded the small IJ and Bonesplittaz ranges to make each more complete.

I am still not convinced that the various Orruk aesthetics look good when mixed together.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Enoby said:

I totally agree and I'd like to expand on Chaos Space Marines vs Slaves to Darkness (then I promise I'll shut up about 40k - but this is AoS related too! :P

On the surface, CSM and S2D look to be very similar factions. Evil, heavily armoured troops wracked with mutations and gifts, marching to war under the banner of one or all of the Dark Gods side by side with monsters, daemons, and mad cultists. 

But in the detail there's a massive difference that makes, in my opinion, Slaves to Darkness infinitely more interesting than Chaos Space Marines - and that is the fact that Slaves to Darkness don't have to be Space Marines. 

As a SM, you're already restricting all characters to be:

- Raised as a warrior from a very young age

- Male, as well as stronger than their peers at a young age (to survive the process)

- They are augmented to be superior to humans in every way even without chaos gifts 

- They naturally live hundreds/thousands of years  

- If you choose a legion, their geneseed determines a lot about them

- Their main enemy is, at least 90% of the time, the Imperium

There are likely more restrictions, but to me these are enough to hamstring a good portion of cool characters. For example, let's say you had an idea for an old hag who lived in a forest for most of her life who was relatively normal for a hermit but whose forest was threatened by advancing Kharadron. She speaks to a raven who promises her the power to protect her forest, only for her to begin a path to damnation. 

You want that in CSM (I guess have Imperium and Agri world/feral world rather than Kharadron and forest)? Well tough luck, the only chaos normal humans are cultists and you don't get heroes for them, so don't bother with that story.

You want that in S2D? No problem - convert a chaos sorcerer lord and you've got a hero ready!

I can't overstate how much I appreciate the lax lore for AoS factions when it comes to original characters.

I agree with everything you said here. Although I have talked to my friends about how if they ever wanted to split a dualbox with Space Marines or Adepta Sororitas, I might make a heretical chapter using my S2D bits and run them as either Chaos or Imperium on a whim. But I feel I will get harassed by obnoxious Heresy jokes everywhere I go outside of my friend group. 😔

But I love the point you make about the open narrative nature of Slaves to Darkness. It is a fantastic faction and the heavy armour opens my mind to more possibilities rather than restrict imagination in the way we see in 40k. I have often had my chaos warriors fulfill the role of pretty much any possible fantasy race in tabletop RPGs and in my mind within their ranks stand orcs, beasts of chaos, elves, dwarves and mutant monstrosities. I painted my Chaos Warriors armour in red, as I imagine that they are trying to emulate the demons that they worship and they view all mutations as gifts. So much like their faith in these dark deities, their armour unites them. But this same narrative openness applies to so many of the new factions. Stormcast are heroes that transcend upon death and can come from any background or race in the mortal realms and also make use of heavy armour that can allow an open interpretation of who is in anyone's army. For my new Stormcast force it is founded by the soldiers of my Chaos army that did not succumb to the call of the dark gods and the later people who resisted their unholy crusade. Once again in my mind they are every bit as diverse as my Chaos army. 

But this is also why I am excited by every rumoured unit and faction in AOS as I look forward to seeing how people will reimagine it to fit their own narrative. The Ossiarch's had a bit of a mixed response upon their reveal but the second people started painting them as metallic skeletons or charred bones with internal flames people got really into them. The monotony of Fyreslayers becomes less of an issue when they are painted as frost or flame elementals. Imagination makes the hobby better and I am happy that AOS players are less likely to just paint and build models according to the box art.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AngryPanda said:

Ah, now that I further think of it, it could be BoC or Nurgle as well on account of some rumors that have been flouting around. I’d like to see an update to Nurgle, but I’d prefer Beastmen are because of how weak their current rendition is. 
 

If Nurgle were to get an update, it be nice to see more mortal troop choices; their range exclusively consists of Blightkings as some rendition. My fingers are crossed that there will be, at some point, Pestigors and Khorngors that are added to their respected allegiances.

BoC would fit the initial Ghur push, too, so it's not a crazy thought. Hence why I personally feel like Skaven and BoC have a stronger possibility of being the October Chaos army.

And yeah, the mortal range for Nurgle is Blightkings, and Blightkings mounted on drones. Not particularly amazing.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like slinging around the whole "soulless" thing very often, but comparing the new Emperor's Champion to the old one is... oof.

As for Kruleboyz, I'm still of the opinion that they are not, and were never sold as being, their own faction, and judging them on their own is an inherently flawed way of looking at the release. It's like getting angry that the Lumineth Wind-Temple units don't have enough variety to make an entire, well-rounded army out of them. Complaints about the Kruleboyz not fitting in aesthetically and the general structure of the Warlcans book are entirely valid*, of course, but I just can't sympathize with the idea of being upset about not getting another cavalry unit in an army that already some.

*I still think that Bonesplitterz and Spiderfang should have gotten a combined book. Lord knows they look better together than they do in their racial tomes.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guts tell me (want to tell me =D) that we’ll see 1-2 units when the actual preorders hit. We’ll see. I don’t think the Kruleboys range is actually bad. I kinda like the limited units to be honest & the focus on monsters, too. I just would have loved 1 cavalry unit and a new troll unit. But maybe we’ll get something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

My guts tell me (want to tell me =D) that we’ll see 1-2 units when the actual preorders hit. We’ll see. I don’t think the Kruleboys range is actually bad. I kinda like the limited units to be honest & the focus on monsters, too. I just would have loved 1 cavalry unit and a new troll unit. But maybe we’ll get something like that.

When was the last time we got models for preorder that hadn’t been previewed before?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A point of interest. In one of the early KruelBoyz articles (I can't recall which) they mentioned that the 6's to hit becoming mortal wounds was an ability they had regardless of whether or not they were run under their own allegiance abilities.

Now, it's entirely possible that what they actually meant was that this ability is one of the things unlocked in Big WAAAGH! once you've accrued enough point.

That said, it's also possible that each of the warclans have one or two dedicated rules that apply to them regardless of which allegiance abilities your army uses.

It would certainly be an interesting way to design a battletome, and making mixed armies that don't use Big WAAAGH! much more appealing. 

It might get complicated if they overdo it, but if KruelBoyz get mortal wounds, Ironjawz get Smashin', and Bashin', and Bonesplittas get Tattoo ward saves, that could make for some very fun lists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I think the Kruleboyz make sense only if you view them as an expansion of the Warclans soup. Warclans already have boar boyz and Gore-Gruntas. I personally would love to see some kit-bashes for the Gore-Gruntas as they already look swampy. 

On the other hand, if you look at monsters for Warclans, you have the Mawcrusha and thats' it, unless you include the Rogue Idol. 

I think the Kruleboyz range has given Warclans players a range of options (ranged, chaff screens, easy access to MW's) that they didn't have before. Otherwise GW would give Kruleboyz everything and the rest of the Orruk range would become obselete. 

Think of factions like Mawtribes or Fyreslayers whose players would kill to have an expansion pack of kits come out for their army...

I think you are right which is why earlier on I argued I would rather a unit of smaller troggoth riders preferably with hobgrots as an alternative to traditional cavalry.
  
@Warboss Gorbolg It is strange I keep looking for some good visual comparisons between Kruel Boyz and Ironjawz but I am having a lot of difficulty. I personally prefer the more creepy and realistic approach to Orruks with this release than the cartoony and often homogenous aesthetic of the more typical GW orruk design. But honestly I am having difficulty finding an image of them next to one another to determine how well they scale and if they look good with a shared aesthetic. 

This is the best image thus far and the Ironjawz are separated by the Bonesplitterz and in that garish yellow scheme. It almost feels like an intentional move in terms of their marketing to separate the two in most images but they also are really tying them together in terms of lore.
YUDOamWHoGA4PCoA.jpg

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

I am still not convinced that the various Orruk aesthetics look good when mixed together.

This is how I feel - for me they don't look good as a mixed force, I'd prefer to see Kruleboyz get some sneaky Gnashtoof cavalry etc rather than go down the road of souping the different styles of Orruks. The Kruleboyz minis so far appeal to me a lot, I could see them ending up being my all-time favourite AoS army (and my biggest AoS spend) if they get a little more unit variety, so I'll keep hoping GW has something more in the works! :) 

In the meantime, I think I'll hop over to Kill Team.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Kelsicle said:

@Neverchosen This is a better picture of IJ and KB together.... Not sure if it improves the prospects at all though

 

AoS OrrukRules Jul27 Image5

Until people start posting shots like this where they were all painted together, it's always going to come across as disjointed.  I'd gather a lot of the apprehension is because, well, they don't look like the orcs we're used to.  in WFB there was no problem with orcs and goblins.  Just think about these as another subspecies of orc.  IE, if you can do orcs and gobbos, you should be able to do orcs and kruleboyz orcs without it feeling too far off if the color scheme and basing and concept all go together.  

I think this is just a failure of the imagination so far.. IDK, it's just a matter of time till people show them together and it looks really nice.  As far as rules synergy?  That's another story - but at least GW wants you to believe they'll work together well 🙂

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Custodes back in 8th edition codex, they came out of nowhere 😂

I remember some people seeing the first teasers and thinking it would be an Old Ones army/cross-game Seraphon model update that worked like Daemons of Chaos.

Can you believe it? Imagine getting your hopes up for something like that, haha.

Definitely wasn't me, though.

Nope.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Ive seen some examples of the Orc types painted in unified schemes and they look a LOT better, but painted as three entirely separate armies they obviously dont.

There’s a great photo of someone’s examples of all three factions painted with the same skin tone and same rust-orange armour and I just can’t find it again… Might have been on TGA but can’t be certain.

Regardless, it did work well. The resemblance worked better in some places than others though. The Savage Ork infantry weren’t that similar to the other two but the IJ brutes dovetailed with the Kruleboys very well, something about that jagged and beaten armour.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

There’s a great photo of someone’s examples of all three factions painted with the same skin tone and same rust-orange armour and I just can’t find it again… Might have been on TGA but can’t be certain.

Regardless, it did work well. The resemblance worked better in some places than others though. The Savage Ork infantry weren’t that similar to the other two but the IJ brutes dovetailed with the Kruleboys very well, something about that jagged and beaten armour.

Oh yeah theres that one and another where someone has done similar but unified a Brutes armour, Kruel boy shield and Savage orcs warpaint so they have that colour theming too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fyrenn said:

Until people start posting shots like this where they were all painted together, it's always going to come across as disjointed.  I'd gather a lot of the apprehension is because, well, they don't look like the orcs we're used to.  in WFB there was no problem with orcs and goblins.  Just think about these as another subspecies of orc.  IE, if you can do orcs and gobbos, you should be able to do orcs and kruleboyz orcs without it feeling too far off if the color scheme and basing and concept all go together.  

I think this is just a failure of the imagination so far.. IDK, it's just a matter of time till people show them together and it looks really nice.  As far as rules synergy?  That's another story - but at least GW wants you to believe they'll work together well 🙂

I don't think it's a failure of imagination, some people just prefer a more visually cohesive force of miniatures rather than mainly just relying on a unifying colour scheme. It's fine to like a rabble such as an Old World Orcs and Goblins mix or something more cohesive, it's personal preference.

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

I don't think it's a failure of imagination, some people just prefer a more visually cohesive force of miniatures rather than mainly just relying on a unifying colour scheme. It's fine to like a rabble such as an Old World Orcs and Goblins mix or something more cohesive, it's personal preference.

I'd say that Ironjaws are the worst outlier here, but that might be because I like them least of all orcs.

Take those away and you have Black Orcs/Ardboys (I choose to look at Blood Bowl Black Orcs here for recent sculpts), Savage Orcs (choosing to look at the Underworlds team) and the new Swamp Orcs in the middle of them, with some armour but less than black orcs, faces that are not entirely out of line with the new sets and some decoration befitting Savage Orcs.

Sure, they stand up straighter, but I think they'd fit together quite nicely.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing about the Chaos Dwarves, didn't Whitefang state that they would come, but not the same?

One option for that dissimilarity would be to position them in Destruction. Hobgrots don't have the Chaos keyword (though they'll probably get a keyword change when their Dark Masters arrive anyway).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

As for Kruleboyz, I'm still of the opinion that they are not, and were never sold as being, their own faction, and judging them on their own is an inherently flawed way of looking at the release. It's like getting angry that the Lumineth Wind-Temple units don't have enough variety to make an entire, well-rounded army out of them. 

I think Lumineth did it better with the temples, at least many mechanics still overlap and the spell lores also benefit them across the temples. 

Now the preview of the Kruleboyz wizard really shows this is NOT the case for orruks. GW is dead set on locking them hard with keywords. -1 charge and +1 charge to KRULEBOYZ, why not just friendly ORRUKS? Sneaky Misama spell only works on KRULEBOYZ monsters. He is then shown on a picture with Bonesplitterz and Ironjawz running at his feet, while none of the spells they just previewed can benefit those models. 

It has left my hopes for the warclans book in a dire spot, as GW insists on this being a soup book, with less sub factions to each of them than any other faction, yet no interaction between the units in the Big Waaagh allegiance.

This was already the case, with not a single spell between Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz being able to benefit each other. It adds nothing and will more often than not just be best to stick with one of the factions. It is really a shame. Unless the Big Waaagh allegiance has some kind of rule that states all keywords for Ironjawz, Kruleboyz and Bonesplitterz becomes interchangable, but there is about 0,1% chance of that happening.

The Kruleboyz really could have used another battleline unit and a cavalry unit of some kind, but unfortunately it seems the hobgrots are just a disjointed addition, so basically only the spear and sword units are battelline, with possibly some adjustments based on sub faction. It looks like an army where it is all about the monsters. Bolt boyz are cool but with 6+ saves they will just crumble. Imagine focusing on those guys when playing against any other army with ranged attacks, those expensive guys will be shot to pieces in 2 seconds. 

It is a real shame. As an Ironjawz player I just don't get why they are so left in the dust by GW, Orks has always been a big deal in Warhammer, but now they are just 3 clans mini factions, with 3 units, Bonesplitterz is basically 2 kits and some resin heroes. It just does not seem that well thought out all in all.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...