The Rumour Thread

Let's be real guys, if there are important updates in a White Dwarf, most people are just going to read about them online and that will be that. No need to panic. At worst you'll have to write down the rules off of a high-res youtube video screen cap.

• Like 3

Obviously, purely digital rules would be ideal for maintaining balance, but GW has been actively moving in the opposite direction, with none of the 3.0 warscrolls being available online for free yet. Since the alternative to rules updates in White Dwarf seems to be rules updates in Battletomes or Broken Realms-style supplements, I'd rather pay $9 for an update in White Dwarf than wait 3-4 years for a $40-50 hardback.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Let's be real guys, if there are important updates in a White Dwarf, most people are just going to read about them online and that will be that. No need to panic. At worst you'll have to write down the rules off of a high-res youtube video screen cap.

That’s not the point.

The point is that GW thinks that some armies need help in this edition. They could help those factions right now. Instead they choose to make you wait in order to pad out their archaic publicity magazine.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, EnumaEilish said:

Obviously, purely digital rules would be ideal for maintaining balance, but GW has been actively moving in the opposite direction, with none of the 3.0 warscrolls being available online for free yet. Since the alternative to rules updates in White Dwarf seems to be rules updates in Battletomes or Broken Realms-style supplements, I'd rather pay $9 for an update in White Dwarf than wait 3-4 years for a $40-50 hardback.

When in circumstance of picking a lesser evil I choose neither.

If we all clearly care about age of sigmar and every armies future, maybe we should be organizing something to take care of our community and importantly our games and hobbies. 

I'll be making a thread to gather peoples opinions and their own playtesting soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

That’s not the point.

The point is that GW thinks that some armies need help in this edition. They could help those factions right now. Instead they choose to make you wait in order to pad out their archaic publicity magazine.

Just as you'd need to wait for a new battletome for third edition? Which would also be more expensive?

8 minutes ago, Blood0Tiger said:

When in circumstance of picking a lesser evil I choose neither.

If we all clearly care about age of sigmar and every armies future, maybe we should be organizing something to take care of our community and importantly our games and hobbies. 

I'll be making a thread to gather peoples opinions and their own playtesting soon.

I mean, I'm unironically in favor of the community ignoring copyright and seizing the means of rules production.

• Like 5

I'm really happy to see Tome Celestials again. New/alternative rules/batallions/warscrolls/subfactions are awesome.
The downside is that they are behind a 8€ paywall, but for me, I really don't care.

Do you remember the old "alternative lists"? Anyone remember Lynus Ghalmorian? Bael-Grimnir? I want more of that!!! 
Dakkbad Grotkicker batallions? Volkmortian Tithe legion? yeah, not for competitive players, but who cares. 

It was sad to see them go.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, PrimeElectrid said:

That’s not the point.

No...they're doing it because they can't rewrite every battletome all at once. You know that human beings write these rules right? The reality of publishing is that new books for factions that might need help could be a year or more away. This is the stop-gap between now and a full rewrite of some form. It's a good compromise. Plus, they've been doing this for AGES. Gloomspite got much needed subfactions and it was great. This is one of the least egregious things the company does, and actually makes sense from a pipeline perspective. Don't like White Dwarf and just want the rules for free? Then just get them from someone online.

Once again I really wish we had a "warhammer community news" thread separated from rumors; because all I want are actual rumors at this point. No bickering about faction releases, nothing news releases, company policies, or whatever else. It's tiresome, and I just don't care. But I do care about secret models and rules.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Christopher Rowe said:

I think print magazines still have a place in the world in general and in the gaming hobby in particular. At the least, White Dwarf is usually pretty.

What else are you ment to read on the toilet? 🤣

Faction-specific battalions are terrible if that is indeed what they are doing, they moved to this new system where everybody has the same options so you don't have to balance around faction-specific ones...only to go right back to the old system? It's crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mutton said:

No...they're doing it because they can't rewrite every battletome all at once. You know that human beings write these rules right? The reality of publishing is that new books for factions that might need help could be a year or more away. This is the stop-gap between now and a full rewrite of some form. It's a good compromise. Plus, they've been doing this for AGES. Gloomspite got much needed subfactions and it was great. This is one of the least egregious things the company does, and actually makes sense from a pipeline perspective. Don't like White Dwarf and just want the rules for free? Then just get them from someone online.

Once again I really wish we had a "warhammer community news" thread separated from rumors; because all I want are actual rumors at this point. No bickering about faction releases, nothing news releases, company policies, or whatever else. It's tiresome, and I just don't care. But I do care about secret models and rules.

You’re almost there.

1) GW know some armies need help.

2) GW take the time to produce rules to help. Given WD lead in times they have probably already written them! 

3) GW now make you wait an arbitrary amount of time simply so they have something to put in a magazine each month.

They could publish this information digitally right now if they genuinely wanted to help factions. That would be a stop gap. But then what would they fill WD with?

For the record, this isn’t an argument against rules in WD. I don’t like that because I’m not convinced it gets even the insufficient review and play testing they battletomes get, but whatever.

The issue is that this is the equivalent of releasing one balance patch per army per month simply because they prioritise content of a physical magazine (a physical magazine! in 2021!) over the integrity of their game. 

Imagine if GW put the AoS 3.0 FAQ in White Dwarf and released one a month. Would that be acceptable because it’s a stop gap measure that you get eventually and someone will transcribe them from WD?

Edited by PrimeElectrid
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

Faction-specific battalions are terrible if that is indeed what they are doing, they moved to this new system where everybody has the same options so you don't have to balance around faction-specific ones...only to go right back to the old system? It's crazy. 

How about we see them before judging

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, plavski said:

How about we see them before judging

If they are actually re-introducing faction specific battalions, it's not about whether they are good or bad. It's about GW undermining their own stated reason for the shift to core battalions: To give armies a common pool of battalions to draw from, to narrow the gap between haves and have-nots.

I don't begrudge Sons of Behemat their new toys,but they don't really need a mechanical boost. They are one of the armies that benefitted the most in the transition to AoS 3 already.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

If they are actually re-introducing faction specific battalions, it's not about whether they are good or bad. It's about GW undermining their own stated reason for the shift to core battalions: To give armies a common pool of battalions to draw from, to narrow the gap between haves and have-nots.

Exactly. If they are really doing this, it makes a mockery of their own reasoning they gave to us just a month or two ago - when they were already aware these were coming.

I wonder if  the next WD is giving us rules and core battalions for playing in Hysh, rather than Ghur - the article does say "for the Mortal Realms" (I'm guessing Hysh as they mention maps, etc).  I don't think Gargents are getting their own core battalions, only a sub-faction.

41 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I wonder if  the next WD is giving us rules and core battalions for playing in Hysh, rather than Ghur - the article does say "for the Mortal Realms" (I'm guessing Hysh as they mention maps, etc).  I don't think Gargents are getting their own core battalions, only a sub-faction.

This is an excellent point. Not once does the article (or the tweet on the previous page here) say that SoB are getting core battalions.

"and the Tome Celestial focuses on some of the biggest folks in the realms, the Sons of Behemat. Finally for the Mortal Realms, discover fresh core battalions and rules for matched play, as well as some brilliant ways to use your gargants in a Path to Glory campaign."

Core battalions and Gargants are mentioned in 2 separate sentences, besides the gargants in Path to Glory, but the core battalions definitely seem like a new universal set of rules, for any army. Still not exactly happy that new matched play rules that are purely beneficial for every army are in WD, but oh well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Oh common don't tell me that. I've just spend 30€ on this little booklet...I should reconsider this hobby...

Its hyperbole, don't worry. You've still got the 12 current battleplans for matched play, accurate points, the tokens that came with it, endless spell rules, Ghur seasonal rules, all still fine :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It remains absolutely ridiculous that in 2021 Games Workshop is moving AWAY from digital publications.  And don't say, "but Warhammer+" because even IF it works, the digital things offered are less than what they already had on the iBookstore or through their own Azyr app. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, mystycalchemy said:

Still not exactly happy that new matched play rules that are purely beneficial for every army are in WD, but oh well.

I agree it's a bit annoying.  I was assuming that a new Realm Battlepack would be in the each new GHB, but, thinking about it, that would take more years than this edition will probably last.  Perhaps we'll get a new Realm Battlepack every month or two, until we have all 7 (8?), then they'll put them all in a single book (for £?).  I expect I'll just buy the WDs.