The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

inside out dragon with a big hat worshipping fire doesn't count unless it's a Kdaai Destroyer...

I'm liking the thing vibe, but that can be a tzeentch expansion pack, as can the size zero supermodel snake hip slaanesh dragon with high cheekbones.  Nurgle dragon can have a belly mouth and guts add on, but the khorne dragon must be proper as a proper thing on st Propermas day.  And not inside out.

The classic two-headeded Chaos dragons should be a tzeentch-exclusive thing now anyways according to fluff. See Galrauch's origin. The Khorne dragon from FW is just a "dragon". Hope you get your wish and there's definitely room for both. Although this kit would already be a pretty good basis for a Khorne dragon anyways.

I hope I can build Krondys without the armour... 🤔

I think Karazai the Scarred will be available for all of order and be a massive beat stick. Krondys, Son of Dracothion seems like he might be limited to Stormcast but have magic.

Also with two heads in the box I might actually try my hand at giving ol' Glaurauch a shot! I think this is also a good sign that Chaos will get a dragon. I feel like in terms of big monsters we are going to have a great edition.

Between a focus on destruction and a return of Duardin to the forefront all I need now is an unaligned magical unicorn and I will have my big Ghur hopes fulfilled.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

The Caldwell/Elmore style is definitely a golden era, as were the Grenadier Dragon of the Month series 1 models.

I know these new guys are a little bit different from those, but to my eyes they capture the essence of those classics. These are really hitting the nostalgia button for a guy like me who was in his early teens in those old times. I really feel the pull to my formative fantasy days looking at them.

This is just fantastic.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Ah no, looks like the FW Khorne dragon is “sold out no longer available”, literally had a cracking conversion in mind, and I think when FW does this it typically means it’s gone for good :( 

FW has an error on the site that lists some things which are just "out of stock" as "sold out". It also does that whenever they update the package contents (eg new box) because it generates a totally new order code in the system. 

That said the AOS line has generally been gutted since the start of AoS and very much so in the last two years. So it might well be genuine removal. It's hard to know for sure unless you email FW. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, KriticalKhan said:

I don't want to say it, but those faces are straight out of Furaffinity.

I'm sure there is a very particular audience who will enjoy these guys a bit more than they probably should.

I was trying not to say it but yep, there's a particular visual style going on with Krondys. A 'burly jock anthro-dragon in the gym locker room, catching your eye, smirking and wandering over' style. Godspeed for the folks who are into it.

822020719_Screenshot2021-07-26at18_43_03.png.5df786084fcb1e992bec861edf4d46a9.png

• Haha 15

" And have no doubt the return of such powerful figures will have massive, far-reaching effects in the Mortal Realms, especially for the Stormcast Eternals, who benefit from Sigmar’s pact with Dracothian."

Some narrative expansion with book(s) and minaiature(s), leading to draconith faction maybe ? :)

22 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

I don't want to say it, but those faces are straight out of Furaffinity.

I'm sure there is a very particular audience who will enjoy these guys a bit more than they probably should.

I have always preferred more fantastical and sentient dragons, particularly ones that have more character and charm than a dinosaur with wings. I think it is partially from Tolkien's works with Smaug and Glaurung having such memorable characterizations. Smug arrogance is a facet of dragon lore I find fascinating and this model captures quite well. I am happy that these named dragons follow that trope and I think are really well executed. However, I find the cartoony smile of Krondys absolutely hilarious and I think you hit the nail on the head as to why. I am partial to it though as it makes me smile in much the same way but I am not a fan of the armour as I prefer to think that Dragons do not need armour. Either way the dragon will pull double duty with other systems and I would much prefer a wild dragon than an armoured one. 

@sandlemad's post made me notice that Krondys has heart shaped nostrils! More reason to run him as his charms extend past that killer smile. 

Edited by Neverchosen

I think some people have been viewing the FA site far too much to the point where they see it everywhere ;). Plus don't forget the style that GW has painted these in (which is very in keeping with their paint style in general) is going to influence how you see them. Bright and very colourful and simple colours. I'm sure once they are in the hands of other painters that might change your impression of the dragons greatly. 

• Like 2

I think that both dragons are good. A bit caroon-ish but still, really good overall. Of course, if your thing is realism, this dragons will not be your cup of tee.

Here are some GW/Citadel dragons heads (I ignored some of the old ones like Galrauch or Engrim Van Hortsmann):

Warhammer_Dragons.jpg.b96656e1b2bf0e5a4ea4272aad45c43c.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

They're a bit of a miss for me. I mean there's nothing wrong with them (except the chins a little odd imo) but realistically I'm looking at a $150 "Dragon safari ltd" toy lol. They're very... bland for dragons.

The above pics really bring home what I don't like about them (just kinda hit me) that's Tony the Tiger as a dragon and you can't convince me otherwise.

Not to poo poo on anyone elses preferences mind you, if you like them then that's Grrrrrr-eat!

Edited by The Red King
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm trying to map out what releases remain through the year's end based on what we know so far. Here's what I can recollect, with some dates being pure speculation.

August

+ Sisters of Battle finale
+ KillTeam starter
+ Thousand Sons/GK dual box
+ Stormcast/Orruk Battletomes

September

+ Stormcast/Kruleboyz releases
+ Ork Codex/Combat Patrol/model wave
+ Beast Snagga general release

October

+ Aeronautica Imerialis: Wrath of Angels/Thunderhawk
+ Chaos Battletome

November

+ Black Templars release

December

+ Battleforces

Did I miss any confirmed products?

Summary:

The next two months seem absolutely packed. Unless they double up some weeks, it seems likely that the Aug/Sep releases will bleed into October.

Beyond the things we know about, there are some logical products we can expect:

- Battletome releases/Combat Patrol Equivalents
- Codex releases/Combat Patrols
- Rumored 30K Starter Box

New Underworlds season

- Rumored AoS Dual Box (GSG vs. BoC)
- Kill Team: They're presumably going to release the rules, and potentially, other teams.
- Necromunda/Bloodbowl/Titanicus/WarCry will all presumably get something.

So somewhere between 4-6 open release weeks not accounted for. Any thoughts on what might fill them? Given the large Stormcast/Kruleboyz releases, seems like remaining time will be 40K focused, but perhaps not?

• Like 1

While I think Krondys fits a bit better into a Stormcast army with his armor plating, just to more easily fit your stormhosts theme, I think I prefer the scarred guy. 

Karazai is a bit more classic dragon and will stand out next to a Stardrake for sure, however I might paintjob him a bit more to fit the range, as an entire Stormhost of Knights Excelsior looks a bitr strange with just "Boom" red dragon in the middle. Maybe it is possible to add just a few of the plates to him or something, guess we will see.

But hot damn are they dragging this Stormcast/Kruleboyz realease out looooong, sneak peak of 1 thing every week and we still do not have any idea exactly how big the release is going to be, not even an actual battletome announcement or look at the cover, it is a super strange way to market this. Customers have no idea what to really expect, it is just so random and odd, 2 big new dragons revealed and the book is not even really announced? I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear the how these releases are planned, as it is an absolute mystery to me.

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IM THROWING A FROSTLORD OR TYRANT ON KARAZAI!!

Umm... if we get Firbellies as a playable faction this is an ideal way to get a themed Frostlord into the faction. Personally I think that I will run my dragon as a proxy for Archaon for Slaves to Darkness, Kragnos for my BCR and as themselves for my SCE. I also assume it will occasionally dress up as a greater demon from time to time.  

I know that these proxies will not be accepted by everyone but with my paltry budget and in my friendly games it will open all of my armies up for some really fun alternate lists and give me my dream of finally owning a GW dragon*. 

*Coldone Knights and Dragon Ogres were the closest I had growing up and I loved them all. I guess the Cold one Knight Champion had a cute little dragon perched on their arm. 😁

Edited by Neverchosen

57 minutes ago, baiardo said:

It's only a miniature, you could enjoy it anyway if you like it!

You know it's like with Gordrakk and his stupid nickname cabbage. Everyone used to repeat it over and over again. I don't see Gordrakk anymore. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see him is cabbage. Not that he reminds me of one but because people repeated that beyond anything. It for sure ruined my feeling of the model. Yeah, i get it that for someone out might be funny and so on. Glad I don't have to play Gordrakk.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, baiardo said:

It's only a miniature, you could enjoy it anyway if you like it!

You know it's like with Gordrakk and his stupid nickname cabbage. Everyone used to repeat it over and over again. I don't see Gordrakk anymore. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see him is cabbage. Not that he reminds me of one but because people repeated that beyond anything. It for sure ruined my feeling of the model. Yeah, i get it that for someone out might be funny and so on. Glad I don't have to play Gordrakk.