The Rumour Thread

8 hours ago, Damosane said:

Absolutely devastated TOW isn't warmaster scale :( hype instantly dead for me personally 

For many, it's the other way around. 6-10-15 mm would have ensured I'd never buy a single sprue of them.

Also, have you all spotted "Half Orc" in the list of rumours? And Kragnos?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

For many, it's the other way around. 6-10-15 mm would have ensured I'd never buy a single sprue of them.

Also, have you all spotted "Half Orc" in the list of rumours? And Kragnos?

It makes sense to target the whales I guess. It was just exciting for a moment that it was a possibility we might be able to replicate the massive battles experienced in total war without it taking up my entire house. Just sad it's gonna be another small skirmish game with giant models that are hard to transport.il keep hoping for a small remaster of warmaster :') 

• Like 1

To be honest, I don’t think I will ever play one of those games at this point. So, to me, Oldworld just means more not-quite-as-over-the-top 28mm miniatures to choose from for building and converting. Which I‘m excited about. 😃

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 6

Old World will probably be the "normal" fantasy, tolkien wise, while AoS is fantasy on steroids. I prefer the latter.

I just hope that not much resources will be taken out of AoS development. AoS is attractive thanks to its strong and original releases. If it becomes "1 hero for 5 factions a year" from TOW release date it will be really disappointing. 40k feels dead compared to AoS releases.

GW: Please include more Polish culture in Kislev. Polish sounding surnames, Husaria, szlachta (nobles), kosynierzy, war-bears ;) ...

Polska-husaria.jpg

szlachta.jpg

kosynierzy.PNG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rosa said:

Why two big fantasy IDs though? Doesn’t make sense from a business point of view. 

Three, with LotR.

I think people fall into a sort of high level management way of thinking sometimes that misses out on meaningful differences in playerbase and appeal, especially when it comes to games outside GW's 'Big Two' of 40k and AoS. There's very little overlap between e.g. the LotR crowd and the AoS crowd, both in existing long-term folks and new customers, despite them both being ostensibly skirmish fantasy games. Some of that is down to the contingencies of development history (stuff like the DeAgonsti magazine pulling in people) but especially casual customers do want different things out of their game which get missed out by describing them simply as big GW fantasy IPs.

With TOW, there is clearly a market for rank-and-flank square base fantasy games and an even bigger market for folks who want to make the jump from Total War Warhammer to a game they would largely recognise, just as Dawn of War was one of the biggest pulls GW ever had. Putting aside old school diehard WHFB fans, those markets may or may not have overlap with people buying AoS but thinking in terms of one game 'cannibalising' the market for another is too simplistic a way of thinking about it.

For example I have bought into WHU and Adeptus Titanicus after stepping out from AoS and 40k. If those games weren't there, I wouldn't somehow buy AoS/40k stuff, I just wouldn't buy anything, making for a missed sale from GW's POV. Going for a Ford-style "any colour as long as its black" approach can seem attractive but will miss out on this sort of thing. Same with TOW, you're going to catch people that are interested in AoS and people that aren't.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, rosa said:

Why two big fantasy IDs though? Doesn’t make sense from a business point of view. 

• We have LotR, with defined aesthetics and a fanbase that's rather set to that specific world. Very little room to write great new stories in the world, but a very strong lore and aesthetic by itself. Because it's GW interpreting Weta designs and Tolkien lore, I view this quite seperately.
  • We have AoS which gives lots of options, but misses grounding and is a bit out there for many people. It's getting a lot better though.
  • We also have a split third group: One one hand, WHFB fans that can't adjust to AoS, and on the other hand Warhammer Total War fans that can't find their factions when they want to go offline with their wargaming.

For these last two groups, TOW provides something AoS will not do.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, drcrater said:

Damn I would love to see a today-quality miniature of Valnir

Me too- always liked the Wayne England artwork of him. I'd prefer to see him undead/skeletal though and not alive (which he was at that time)

Life as a chaos player is easy... daemons and lots of core units will likely be shared between the two systems. 😇. I suspect this is why we got no real multi-part Chaos Warrior kit yet. 🤔. Perhaps the new ones will be designed around being able to be put in rank and file again (or they simply won't update it at all). Personally I hope that the new bases will be bigger, so that the minis for TOW can be designed a tiny bit more freely than those back in WHFB.

32 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:
  • We have LotR, with defined aesthetics and a fanbase that's rather set to that specific world. Very little room to write great new stories in the world, but a very strong lore and aesthetic by itself. Because it's GW interpreting Weta designs and Tolkien lore, I view this quite seperately.
  • We have AoS which gives lots of options, but misses grounding and is a bit out there for many people. It's getting a lot better though.
  • We also have a split third group: One one hand, WHFB fans that can't adjust to AoS, and on the other hand Warhammer Total War fans that can't find their factions when they want to go offline with their wargaming.
  • People that play more than one game and has some sympathy for Warhammer Fantasy (even if they play any other game, like AoS or 40k).

There is another group.

You don't need to play just one game. I love Malifaux and I'm waiting for Conquest's Free States even if my main game is AoS.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Personally I hope that the new bases will be bigger, so that the minis for TOW can be designed a tiny bit more freely than those back in WHFB.

This would be awesome and could potentially tie in with encouraging supporting smaller units (model wise) while keeping a similar size of unit footprint. Maybe that's too optimistic to hope for though.

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

All three are 'live' IPs anyway, Middle Earth is still hot, and AOS is the 4th biggest mini game out there. Old school fantasy is alive and well in video games and books. Brining back on tabletop meaningfully might incite some AOS players to try it, 40k and ME players to tr it and lapsed players injoying the video games to come back. 

There was plenty of room for 30k models in 40k players collections.  I think its about selling more minis tbh.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

To be honest, I don’t think I will ever play one of those games at this point. So, to me, Oldworld just means more not-quite-as-over-the-top 28mm miniatures to choose from for building and converting. Which I‘m excited about. 😃

Depending what races or armies are added I'll pilfer some minis for sure!!

2 hours ago, MitGas said:

Life as a chaos player is easy... daemons and lots of core units will likely be shared between the two systems. 😇. I suspect this is why we got no real multi-part Chaos Warrior kit yet. 🤔. Perhaps the new ones will be designed around being able to be put in rank and file again (or they simply won't update it at all). Personally I hope that the new bases will be bigger, so that the minis for TOW can be designed a tiny bit more freely than those back in WHFB.

You talk like OW is not gonna come out by 2025 or later

On 7/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, Kugane said:

I do recall some 9th age friends saying that if you put rounds together the block size will be larger and thus against WHFB rules. 

I wonder if this will mean a pragmatic rules change tbh. 

5 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

I just hope that not much resources will be taken out of AoS development. AoS is attractive thanks to its strong and original releases. If it becomes "1 hero for 5 factions a year" from TOW release date it will be really disappointing. 40k feels dead compared to AoS releases.

GW: Please include more Polish culture in Kislev. Polish sounding surnames, Husaria, szlachta (nobles), kosynierzy, war-bears ;) ...

Isn't TOW being done by FW? You'd think the teams would be separate! Although this makes me slightly worried units/armies will be released at a glacial pace.

As for Kislev, I always assumed Kislev was this fantasy blend of Poland and Russia, so I'd be excited to hear how people with roots in either view Kislev!

When I was younger I was really fascinated by the Old World's way of taking inspiration from real cultures (albeit ignorant of the mayhaps problematic nature of some depictions). Slightly disappointed that mine had no representation - the Scandinavians had Norsca and Russians/slavs had Kislev, but none for the Finns 😢 Looking at the maps the only geographically fitting area is the Troll Country, which I guess ends up as a pretty apt name for the country of the Moomin trolls. I would really love to see after all these years even a single settlement with an overly long name including way too many consonants, inhabited by singing seers and/or depressed alcoholics.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Benkei said:

You talk like OW is not gonna come out by 2025 or later

I don't really understand what you're getting at. Sorry, might be a language barrier or I might've used the wrong words. I thought it came out in late 2022 or early 2023? Just saying that I think some minis will be cross-play. I could imagine that many S2D units and generic stuff like daemons will fall into that category.

On 7/18/2021 at 1:35 PM, Mitzrael said:

"Expect floods of informative articles, exclusive model reveals, and all the biggest news from the bleeding edge of all things Warhammer right here on Warhammer Community. "
   SCE and Kruleboyz models reveals without a preview? Or something totally different?

Is there a preview this weekend? I don't see any indication and otherwise it has been a pretty light week for reveals. Remember on Monday when we got that Amazing Vulture and that cool Thousand Sons Sorcerer...  I was expecting that everyday. 😰

I mean the new Dale models are pretty dope and I am always happy for Middle Earth to get more love... and we got a new old timey space marine guy. But still I had high hopes each day for a new SCE centre piece... but instead we got shovel memes!

Never mind we got this article... all is forgiven
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/23/turn-duinclaw-into-the-ultimate-killer-crustacean-in-arena-mortis-with-these-cards/

Edited by Neverchosen

5 hours ago, sandlemad said:

For example I have bought into WHU and Adeptus Titanicus after stepping out from AoS and 40k. If those games weren't there, I wouldn't somehow buy AoS/40k stuff, I just wouldn't buy anything, making for a missed sale from GW's POV. Going for a Ford-style "any colour as long as its black" approach can seem attractive but will miss out on this sort of thing. Same with TOW, you're going to catch people that are interested in AoS and people that aren't.

Another consideration is that those people who kept away from AoS due to it having come at the sacrifice of WHFB are more likely to actually play/buy into AoS now there's not quite the same, lingering resentment surrounding it - both of them exist, both of them are supported rather than one having died for the other. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Another consideration is that those people who kept away from AoS due to it having come at the sacrifice of WHFB are more likely to actually play/buy into AoS now there's not quite the same, lingering resentment surrounding it - both of them exist, both of them are supported rather than one having died for the other. 

Quite possibly! I doubt it'll be everyone, probably doesn't apply so much to people who jumped ship for KoW or 9th Age, but it does seem plausible. I think we're talking about a pretty small core of seriously anti-AoS-but-happy-to-play-GW people at this stage anyway, a lot of folks were tempted by the occasional thing like the Gloomspite or Soulblight releases.

Edited by sandlemad

2 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Knowing the ending of it, the aftertaste won't be any better for some though... just being realistic here. Personally I only see upsides here but I'm sure that some will still complain. 😇

On 7/21/2021 at 9:31 PM, Ratboy genius said:

Hopefully the return of the old world means that GW will dig out that Isle of Blood box back out of storage and print those not ugly rat ogres again.

Are they out of print or something? I usually don’t follow Skaven stuff.

Yes, they did a short (and poorly advertised) AoS run of those models as "Spire of Dawn" in some territories before disappearing them back into oblivion. It's a shame, because that set is the only place the skaven mortar has ever existed, the clanrats are pretty nice, and the engineer is very good for a starter set mini of his era. If TOW means they want people to start stacking clanrats into 40-strong rectangles again, bringing back those sprues would make it a lot easier.