The Rumour Thread

On 7/15/2021 at 6:48 PM, pixieproxy said:

I think part of it is how they're just painted like the rest of the model, but make them more maskish/death masky and suddenly it's a lot more interesting to me personally.

_MG_8079.JPG.b546deecfce59ed79091050b19f7a3c6.JPG

In other news, I really do hope we get more AoS new inbetween the Ork and Kill Team stuff, like it's nice we know that OW and SCE are due next month but I'd like some sense of where this is going honestly. The crusade packs in 40k have been some of the most interesting content for me, so I hope we get something like it for Path to Glory

note to self: copy the **** out of this

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With regards to them phasing out resin and metal... I'm not sure it will be any time soon.

In AoS, it certainly looks like they are rapidly heading in that direction. I believe that Death now only has a single resin model left, and in the other factions it is mostly contained to a handful of model ranges. In order It's almost all Seraphon, Chaos has a smattering of characters, plus skaven and beasts, and then Destruction has Ogres and a smattering a heroes.

That seems pretty doable really. They are constantly putting out new hero models, so it theoretically would only take a year or two for the various resin heroes to get replaced, and if they did a couple of big faction updates in that time they would be half way there.

However, that isn't taking into account 40K, and especially Lord of the Rings. The latter game still has a vast amount of metal models in its catalogue, and while they are slowly updating some key heroes, they are also constantly cycling the metal and resin sculpts in and out of production. There are many factions in LotR which have very little plastic at all, so short of a total revamp of the range, or retiring it completely, I don't see them phasing it out completely. They were initially planning to move all of the metal sculpts over to finecast, but we all know how that turned out! 

I haven't seen them do that for a while. In cases like the Haradrim assassins, they actually brought out a kit which combined a resin model with a couple of metal ones, all of which had been sold seperately originally. That seems to suggest that any plans for finecast to completely replace metal were aborted at some point. The fact that Skaven and I think goblins still have a few metal models supports this too.

That said, we shall see what the future holds. I've been quite down on AoS lately, as I've not had painting time, and am too burned out to care about the new edition. However, the amount of credibility which all the Chaos Dwarf speculation is getting, and the hints at other factions are pretty exciting! My favourite factions (old and new) are Seraphon/lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarfs, and regular Dwarfs. So the fact that there are rumours for all alignments of duardin, and Seraphon are doing a lot in the lore is very encouraging!

7 hours ago, Sowoky said:

Reading the core book, by how much they talk about "dawnbringer crusades", a term they never used before and have retroactively applied to happening ever since the realmgate wars, they've gotta have more planned than some terrain...

Yeah I could definitely see COS becoming Dawnbringers. The lore is amazing and I cannot wait to see that expanded in novels. 

1 hour ago, Kugane said:

I'm still sad that the "big release rumor" for Skaven and Ogors ended up being 1 model... Anyone hear any more rumors or have these projects been chucked to the side by GW?

There have been rumours of Ogor Mawtribes being 1 of the first 4 battletomes after SCE and Warclans to be released alongside a range refresh. Sweet Behemat I hope this is true!!

14 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Yeah I could definitely see COS becoming Dawnbringers. The lore is amazing and I cannot wait to see that expanded in novels. 

There have been rumours of Ogor Mawtribes being 1 of the first 4 battletomes after SCE and Warclans to be released alongside a range refresh. Sweet Behemat I hope this is true!!

wasn't that the one that said New Grey Knights though? which seems no to be true at the moment

Edited by novakai
  • Thanks 1

Skaven are probably among the most popular factions GW ever designed in their entire history.

But all four great clans need massive model updates plus some actual completely new heroes, units and monsters.

In a way, the problem is that each Great Clan could be a battletome in itself, like Four Chaos gods have each their own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

The Battletome release date was but the rumours of a refresh stem from other sources. 

if its the one with the 4 first battletome being Maggotkin, Gloomspire, Ogors, and BoC. its the same rumor by the 4chan

2 hours ago, Sorrow said:

Skaven are probably among the most popular factions GW ever designed in their entire history.

But all four great clans need massive model updates plus some actual completely new heroes, units and monsters.

In a way, the problem is that each Great Clan could be a battletome in itself, like Four Chaos gods have each their own.

Skaven's popularity always seemed like a bit of a meme to me. They've certainly always been popular within the fandom, both WHFB and AoS, but I rarely saw them played on the tabletop even during the hayday of Fantasy - sure, they weren't unseen (heh), but they definitely weren't getting up to Warrior of Chaos or High Elf levels. People love the idea of swarms of rat-men with a lisp and stutter and their hilariously dangerous giant wheels, but few end up actually playing them.

Even looking at the Total War games, where 90% of all recent Skaven love (and memes) probably came from, despite a lot of places usually using Skaven as the posterboys of their emojiis and such, if you look at SteamStats they've by far the lowest percentage for a completed campaign of the launch and even some of the DLC races.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Skaven's popularity always seemed like a bit of a meme to me. They've certainly always been popular within the fandom, both WHFB and AoS, but I rarely saw them played on the tabletop even during the hayday of Fantasy - sure, they weren't unseen (heh), but they definitely weren't getting up to Warrior of Chaos or High Elf levels. People love the idea of swarms of rat-men with a lisp and stutter and their hilariously dangerous giant wheels, but few end up actually playing them.

Even looking at the Total War games, where 90% of all recent Skaven love (and memes) probably came from, despite a lot of places usually using Skaven as the posterboys of their emojiis and such, if you look at SteamStats they've by far the lowest percentage for a completed campaign of the launch and even some of the DLC races.

They were the most played tournament army for several months after their AoS battletome came out. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Chikout said:

They were the most played tournament army for several months after their AoS battletome came out. 

not to mention even now they have a 8% or so playrate in tournaments
when, considering they're both:
1. super old
2. not great

is pretty impressive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I feel like the Skaven sculpts have been a deterrent for a long time. I’ve always loved the skaven lore, but before the clan rats got updated the idea of painting over a hundred of the old monkey rats kept me from starting them. Even after they got refreshed (which look great) the rest of the range is pretty dated which made the idea of branching out to the other clans less appealing.

Essentially I believe the quality of the models have fallen short of the lore for years, Skaven are a great concept and there’s a lot of great art yet they’re saddled with too many goofy plastics (Eshin, Rat Ogres, etc.) and old resin. A lot of folks talk about the Flesheater sculpts not reflecting their lore, I think Skaven are in the same camp.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

pretty sure that was Flesheater court

No. Flesheater courts won a lot of tournaments but Skaven was the first army to knock Stormcast off the top spot. I think you can find all the old data on the Honest Wargamer website. 

As an aside I randomly came across this today:51-iqV0l17S._AC_SY1000_.jpg.f51b6c50d836feea1b01aeacb25b6702.jpg

A new collection of short stories. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Encountering Skaven so often might not be just popularity, but just the percentage of time you're fighting them. If I recall correctly, they have 41 starting positions in Mortal Empires. They are also featured in quest battles and intervention armies, so about half the time and 80% of the frustration is fighting rats, or dealing with plague, undercities, skaven corruption and other of their nonsense.

3 hours ago, Shearl said:

I feel like the Skaven sculpts have been a deterrent for a long time. I’ve always loved the skaven lore, but before the clan rats got updated the idea of painting over a hundred of the old monkey rats kept me from starting them. Even after they got refreshed (which look great) the rest of the range is pretty dated which made the idea of branching out to the other clans less appealing.

Essentially I believe the quality of the models have fallen short of the lore for years, Skaven are a great concept and there’s a lot of great art yet they’re saddled with too many goofy plastics (Eshin, Rat Ogres, etc.) and old resin. A lot of folks talk about the Flesheater sculpts not reflecting their lore, I think Skaven are in the same camp.

Hordes playstyle are also tend to be less desirable to play and start as an army. 

5 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

well i think they suffer from being very bad and bare bone at launch. but also most of the other faction where realitivly easier to complete a campaign with

45 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I know this is the Rumour Thread but I just wanted to shout out all you incredible lads and ladettes for the amazing time I've spent here since I've joined, with that I'm pleased to announce that today I'll be getting married!! KingBrodd will be marrying his Queen ❤

Ah mate congrats, excellent news! Made up for you.

Truly the Mortal Realms will shake when both a King and Queen stride together.

• LOVE IT! 1

Part of me thinks the release schedule will be tied to the narrative (or more accurately, the narrative woven around the release schedule) - with the GHB saying that the setting for the next year is Ghur, I wonder if between this one and the next, the releases will all tie in with the places on the map i.e. Kruleboyz, Ogres, Moulder skaven, BoC (thunderscorn peaks so a Shaggoth), and Seraphon, and then when it moves on to the next location the releases will all be tied there.

Seems a lot to release in a year, but assuming they're all battletomes, some with a single model release or single model + endless spells, and perhaps 1 range overhaul of say Seraphon, could be doable, particularly in a battlebox/release-two-battletomes-at-the-same-time kind of way.

I mean, surely no-one sat down to sculpt Kroak and not a plastic Slaan at the same time. 

I see a lot of people expecting a Dawnbringer Crusade faction - IMHO, this is only a narrative construct, like the Indomitus crusade. I believe SCE are the crusaders. I think if they were going to do it, they'd have done it in the launch box.

8 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

People love the idea of swarms of rat-men with a lisp and stutter and their hilariously dangerous giant wheels, but few end up actually playing them.

Honestly, painting hundreds of similar-looking ratmen does that. Skaven would be a lot more popular if Horde armies wouldn't be tedious to paint (and purchasing them wouldn't be so expensive!), especially for beginners.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I know this is the Rumour Thread but I just wanted to shout out all you incredible lads and ladettes for the amazing time I've spent here since I've joined, with that I'm pleased to announce that today I'll be getting married!! KingBrodd will be marrying his Queen ❤

Congratulations!

• LOVE IT! 1

56 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Honestly, painting hundreds of similar-looking ratmen does that. Skaven would be a lot more popular if Horde armies wouldn't be tedious to paint (and purchasing them wouldn't be so expensive!), especially for beginners.

There's only a few units in skaven that you could feasibly run hundreds of, and fewer still.of those that aren't hideous

3 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

All hail QueenBrodd!

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1