The Rumour Thread

12 hours ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

I'd read that a bit more tempered. The statements about mega Gargants and Lumineth do not contain any qualifiers on success. They are factual statements highlighting the most prominent releases for Age of Sigmar with a bit of narrative flair/marketing. There is a separate, adjacent statement about Age of Sigmar continuing to perform well.

"The Lumineth, a new race, kick started the year for Age of Sigmar and the Mega Gargants in October set a new benchmark for monster kits. Our full range of Age of Sigmar continues to perform well."

In other words, Age of Sigmar's sales is not concentrated into one faction like Space Marines for 40k, which in my mind is a good thing. Overall I do think both factions didn't do bad in terms of sales considering they're bought up. 

• Like 3

Don't forget GW doesn't (or shouldn't ) anticipate for brand new armies to sell as well as established ones, esp when those new armies are small like new AoS ones. Lumineth also got hit hard being brand new, but getting stuck in Corona outbreaks which stalled its launch. I think they will grow once they've one or two more temple units out and GW seems to think so since they are already gearing up for more!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Don't forget GW doesn't (or shouldn't ) anticipate for brand new armies to sell as well as established ones, esp when those new armies are small like new AoS ones. Lumineth also got hit hard being brand new, but getting stuck in Corona outbreaks which stalled its launch. I think they will grow once they've one or two more temple units out and GW seems to think so since they are already gearing up for more!

Yup, I don't know what goes on in GW's head, but it shows that they have a diverse range that people are interested in which also gives them more of an excuse to experiment in terms of model design. I don't want AOS to fall into the xeno's trap where because Space Marines sell the most, they get the most attention, fuelling the cycle. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, shinros said:

In other words, Age of Sigmar's sales is not concentrated into one faction like Space Marines for 40k, which in my mind is a good thing. Overall I do think both factions didn't do bad in terms of sales considering they're bought up. 

How concentrated are 40k sales? I play Asuryani killteam so I'm curious if Marines really outsell everything else. 

17 minutes ago, PhoenixLord said:

How concentrated are 40k sales? I play Asuryani killteam so I'm curious if Marines really outsell everything else. 

Marines kept GW alive at times. Yes, they do outsell everything else. I do believe however that 40k collectors are starting to concentrate less on marines now that other factions get lovely plastic kits as well. The new necrons sell like mad over here, Tau are still pretty popular, Chaos became a big thing in the last years thanks to many plastic updates... and I'm sure Eldar would too if the range got some much needed updates. Let's hope GW will stop the Aelf terror in AoS and instead get some Eldar kits out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shinros said:

this for sure, when i checked the 40k "new releases" about 2 weeks ago 19 out of the 25 items were Space Marine or Imperium related--that's absurd for a game which supposedly spans the entire Milky Way galaxy. If GW wants to keep AOS as the game that pushes boundaries on design and style, I'm all here for it, but I hope they realize 40k needs it too. The SM favoritism is why I won't be going back to 40k outside of painting some Tau.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

43 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

this for sure, when i checked the 40k "new releases" about 2 weeks ago 19 out of the 25 items were Space Marine or Imperium related--that's absurd for a game which supposedly spans the entire Milky Way galaxy. If GW wants to keep AOS as the game that pushes boundaries on design and style, I'm all here for it, but I hope they realize 40k needs it too. The SM favoritism is why I won't be going back to 40k outside of painting some Tau.

That's going to change for 2021.  You'll see Xenos take the rise and Marine players will go back to being whiney complainers.  Orks are due soon and will dominated a good month's worth of news and model releases and then keep their place in the meta if they don't ****** up the book.  Drukhari are due soon.  I heard a drop of 4 AoS books due and if 3.0 is out in July 40k players will complain they didn't get an army in the Summer.

It makes sense for GW to push Marines especially at the launch and keep them popular in both the meta, chatter and sales.  They make the company.  It is because of Marine favourtism we have AoS, Tau, etc.  Just do what you want and paint your models and play games.  It will come around again.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

It makes sense for GW to push Marines especially at the launch and keep them popular in both the meta, chatter and sales.  They make the company.  It is because of Marine favourtism we have AoS, Tau, etc.  Just do what you want and paint your models and play games.  It will come around again

Worked well for Brets and Tomb Kings 😜

Edited by eciu
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Popisdead said:

That's going to change for 2021.  You'll see Xenos take the rise and Marine players will go back to being whiney complainers.  Orks are due soon and will dominated a good month's worth of news and model releases and then keep their place in the meta if they don't ****** up the book.  Drukhari are due soon.  I heard a drop of 4 AoS books due and if 3.0 is out in July 40k players will complain they didn't get an army in the Summer.

It makes sense for GW to push Marines especially at the launch and keep them popular in both the meta, chatter and sales.  They make the company.  It is because of Marine favourtism we have AoS, Tau, etc.  Just do what you want and paint your models and play games.  It will come around again.

I think that is a bit of wishful thinking there, how many times in the past 10 years did we hear its the year of the xenos, we are getting all the books etc. and then 70% of releases are Marines.

Take for instance the current release, here are new Death Guard rules and some kits, but also here is an article on a minor Space Marine Faction which now has rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Overread said:

On the contrary, I think that new armies sell better than established ones, as people get hyped by the novelty. By being a small range the consumer is forced to spend money in the same units multiple times until they reach the 2000 points mark (or whatever they play in their groups). Then GW release the rest of the range and the people´s armies are now over the 2000 points (if they released all the models in one go, the armies probably wouldn´t surpassed that amount of points).

That´s my view, at least when buying my initial goal is to plan purchases until I reach 2000.

• Like 2

I wonder what we'll see of the Blood Knights.

Perhaps a newly updated plastic kit to fit the theme of a new aesthetic, or possibly keep them as they are and continue the distinction of each Vampire type/house.

Gods I am so excited for Soulblight. Can't wait for the new look but still going to bunch an assortment of hench death bois together from different realms, bound by a code or bloodline. Araby style Vampire, Norse Raider, Steampunk Chamon Necromancer, yes-yes.

• Like 1