The Rumour Thread

they like mixing cultural stuff lately, Bonereapers had some elements of Samurai armor and Egyptian  aesthetics, Realmlords where kind of a lot stuff ( Spartan/ High elf/ eastern Asian/ Tibetan feel)

guesses would be that Vampire has some classic Transylvania/ Count dracula vibes but also  traits from other culture.

• Like 1

GW can go either way. Bone reapers exist. On the other hand, Nighthaunt are a bog standard gothic ghost army (with amazing models) when you get down to it. AoS seems to have no problem using old troupes or new experiments. As long as they sell.

And making zany models does not really protect them on an IP front (other than making alternative model sources have to start fresh to match). You can't copyright a concept, only a specific sculpt. This if why Raging Heroes and other companies can get away with making clear alternatives for chaos daemons, GWs most unique line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AverageBoss said:

GW can go either way. Bone reapers exist. On the other hand, Nighthaunt are a bog standard gothic ghost army (with amazing models) when you get down to it. AoS seems to have no problem using old troupes or new experiments. As long as they sell.

And making zany models does not really protect them on an IP front (other than making alternative model sources have to start fresh to match). You can't copyright a concept, only a specific sculpt. This if why Raging Heroes and other companies can get away with making clear alternatives for chaos daemons, GWs most unique line.

Bog-standard might be a bit much. Nighthaunt aren’t radical but they do develop the gothic ghost angle with stuff like the cruel & unusual Sisyphus-style punishment aspect and GW-specific visual cues like the briars/roses. So there’s a sliding scale to my mind and even where GW’s doing a ‘safer’ new thing they’re still anxious to put their own stamp on it.

I’d agree though that there’s more to this than copyright protection. You can go back to the WD designer’s notes for 6th edition ogre kingdoms, before all the copyright/lawsuit stuff, and see the emphasis the designers were putting on these being Warhammer ogres, unique to GW and distinct from other fantasy universes. GW push their brand as much as a unique selling point as out of concern for copyright.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, novakai said:

i guessing no one considering that it just going to be regular Vampire that are not pirates

I agree tho. The pirate element feels more fandom echo chamber than anything.  It started because of the rumour engines that turned out to be part of the kraken eater as far as I can tell. 
And now it just repeats while, to me at least, the nautical elements isn’t there. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I agree tho. The pirate element feels more fandom echo chamber than anything.  It started because of the rumour engines that turned out to be part of the kraken eater as far as I can tell. 
And now it just repeats while, to me at least, the nautical elements isn’t there. 

Then again, this is the rumour thread. The irrefutable truth thread is next door. 

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Honestly I dont know if I'd rather have a unique looking Vampireates army or a classic updated AOS Vampire army.

The correct answer is both.

If it is a 'classic' vampire army I think it's going to need a bit more to it than that to stand up to the rest of what AoS has to offer, probably focused around Neferata (not Mannfred, he's a right ******).

The statement that GW made about all Major Factions being present in Broken Realms makes me think that perhaps the Sons as a Faction wont be. My guess would be that a few Mega Gargants show up as Mercs or alternatively perhaps a Stomp overhears the clangour of battle and dives right in!!

57 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

The correct answer is both.

If it is a 'classic' vampire army I think it's going to need a bit more to it than that to stand up to the rest of what AoS has to offer, probably focused around Neferata (not Mannfred, he's a right ******).

Those weapons look very classic- almost to the point of me thinking they are WFB, to me it either is Cities or a Vampire faction in the cities/modelled on the cities, it doesn't scream Realm of Death to me, could be the martial prowess of Blood dragons, the infiltration of Neferata and the classic nobility of Vlad.

But it might well be a human force.

42 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

The statement that GW made about all Major Factions being present in Broken Realms makes me think that perhaps the Sons as a Faction wont be. My guess would be that a few Mega Gargants show up as Mercs or alternatively perhaps a Stomp overhears the clangour of battle and dives right in!!

Rule wise or lorewise?

i don’t see how they going to drag more mercenary rules without another mega variant. Easy thing would just making any battalions since Sons have literally zero at the moment.

49 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Can parts not be switched around on the gargants? 

Like giving the warstomper the gate breakers weapon? 

Easy enough to give them rules for another tribe. 

52 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

They're probably going to share that really awkward spot Sisters of Battle did in regards to Psychic Awakening, wherein they're referenced in the fluff and might even pop up quote prominently, but likely won't receive any new rules.