The Rumour Thread

14 hours ago, sandlemad said:

What rumours? Where are they abounding? C'mon dude. Please. A link. A source. Anything. Even "my uncle who works at GW says...". Did you have it in a dream? Anything at all to suggest you're not just saying whatever comes into your head. Give people a reason to respect you. Please.

At this point it just reminds me of Cato the Elder. (from the Roman Republic)

"Ceterum censeo Civitas Sigmar esse delendam." (Bad latin, no doubt, as I used Translator Software)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, novakai said:

nah that just fantasy Grognog talk really

costumers would just make switch to making Skaven furry suites for all the unwash masses

There would be a lot of anger though and it wouldn't be unjustified. Killing an army that GW were seemingly going to support and therefore invalidating entire collections is something I think people very much have a right to be angry about.  Just because you might not care doesn't mean other's angry would be invalid.

That said, recent history has shown Warhammer collectors are an insanely forgiving bunch if you put enough new plastic on a stick for them. Most of those people upset by CoS' squat'ing would just buy the new versions/a whole new army anyway, just like GW intends.

I do think that the success of CoS might've caught them off-guard though. It might be too late for the High Elves owing to Lumineth, but I do wonder if the popularity of the book might make them revisit and update the concept of Cities specifically rather than introducing wholly new armies which vaguely-kind-of-but-not-really callback to them.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Clan's Cynic said:

squat'ing would just buy the new versions/a whole new army anyway, just like GW intends.

Like the time they discontinued high elves and brought those very expensive newer looking High elfs (realmlords) to the table, which most people tend to use their old models, for those rules b’cause it’s cheaper and basically the same models just more aged?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

There would be a lot of anger though and it wouldn't be unjustified. Killing an army that GW were seemingly going to support and therefore invalidating entire collections is something I think people very much have a right to be angry about.  Just because you might not care doesn't mean other's angry would be invalid.

That said, recent history has shown Warhammer collectors are an insanely forgiving bunch if you put enough new plastic on a stick for them. Most of those people upset by CoS' squat'ing would just buy the new versions/a whole new army anyway, just like GW intends.

I do think that the success of CoS might've caught them off-guard though. It might be too late for the High Elves owing to Lumineth, but I do wonder if the popularity of the book might make them revisit and update the concept of Cities specifically rather than introducing wholly new armies which vaguely-kind-of-but-not-really callback to them.

Getting rid of Cities now, by which I mean retiring the models, would definitely be a huge blunder and I can't see them doing it. The "worst" I can realisically see is cities getting unsouped again, which might leave people with illegal armies. I don't see models being retired without replacements after the battletome. I find it more likely that GW will do more cross faction unit mixing after the 1 in 4 model.

As per their own statements, GW has the course of AoS planned out for several years in advance. While I don't think this plan is set in stone, I would be pretty surprised if it contained the splitting up of Dark Elves into several distinct factions with their own battletomes only to re-soup them again later as some people are predicting.

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I still believe in the future of CoS, regardless of GW's past. We can't overlook the recent WHFB video games and their popularity, The Old World was/is/will be GW scrambling together something realising Fantasy still had fans. I don't see why GW would squat A) "Free" model ranges they can just plop into TOW without having to design new miniatures and B) a popular AoS army. Will there one day be "AoSified" Freeguild soldiers free from that renaissance look of Fantasy? Probably.

Besides, the recent fluff/crunch changes makes me feel like GW is really going for both the familiar dark elves of old for TW:W fans/last Fantasy grognards and giving Cities more options to show they aren't forgotten. Wouldn't surprise me if we get a Broken Realms: Grungni with a mono-Duardin city that could take Fyreslayer and Kharadron allies. Broken Realms: Alarielle with Wanderers and Dryads together as one once more?

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

5 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Will there one day be "AoSified" Freeguild soldiers free from that renaissance look of Fantasy? Probably.

I actually think the Landsknecht look of the Freeguild is pretty distinctive for a fantasy game. I always felt it made them stand out among other fantasy humans. I'd be in favour of keeping it and going a bit more wild with it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I actually think the Landsknecht look of the Freeguild is pretty distinctive for a fantasy game. I always felt it made them stand out among other fantasy humans. I'd be in favour of keeping it and going a bit more wild with it.

I like it too, but I wonder if its a bit too "generic" in corporate eyes 🤔

Perhaps newer models with overpriced "realm conversion sprues" available to order separately would do the trick and make everyone happy?

Just now, Public Universal Duardin said:

Perhaps newer models with overpriced "realm conversion sprues" available to order separately would do the trick and make everyone happy?

If any model range has an excuse to stay kind of grounded in it's look it's the Freeguild. I think a new Guard and Handgunner kit made to modern standards and with female build options would be good. That would give GW the opportunity to add in some new Mortal Realms specific imagery into their aesthetic and go a bit more phantastical with it.

• Like 1

People always say it will be so easy for Gw to update cities all they need is a few new units and some terrain.  Let me tell you not once in Aos has that happened to any army. Not once. Not one old army has received a new unit.  Not one. 

When cities book came out entire product lines were squatted we got no terrain and about half the option were lost for most units. 

If people are really crazy enough to think GW are going to release a new box of handgunners and spearman with realm sprue I dont know what to say. It isnt going to happen. Tomb kings could have had redone skeleton troops with realm sprue and brettonians could have had some plastic grail/ questing knights with realm sprue but they didnt and they got squatted. 

Aos only releases brand new armies freeguild will never get a new release and neither will cities.  Something new is coming on the horizon that's for sure but the freeguild model range and the cities of sigmar faction is on it's way out the time to update it would have been when its book released the fact it hasn't is very obvious.

I'm sure I will get modded and banned possibly for this but it had to be said.

Edited by Icegoat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Maybe, but remember that medusas are a bit generic too.

One units can be copied, the whole army is a diferent beast.

`

9 minutes ago, azdimy said:

Gloomspite gitz, slaves to darkness, all 4 of the chaos gods got all new units 

And Flesheater courts, Ogors and skaven got new heroes. Daughters of Khaine got 2 new unit boxes and now a hero, Sylvaneth were built on a core of old models, and it's not counting things like nighthaunt and bonereapers, where models from WFB times have been included in a mostly new faction.

It's almost like most of AoS is built out of the old armies receiving new units!

(Given that Bonesplitterz are not a separate army anymore and beastmen got terrain, spells and actually useful underworlds hero, aren't CoS the ONLY army that hasn't got new units? But yeah, not once :D)

Edited by dekay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I imagine CoS will be handled like Space Marines and Primaris, new units introduced over a long period of time, while the older units are slowly shuffled over to legends. 

Cities is a good concept for a faction, hopefully GW keeps it whenever the range is refreshed.

• Like 5

Being completely honest, when Cities of Sigmar first came out I thought it was a temporary bandaid and would go away of the dodo in an edition or two.

But now I think @MarkK has the right idea.  I think they will eventually rotate some new units in and expand the theme to other cities not listed in the 2.0 tome. 

I guess we will have to wait and see what their long-term goals are for expanding CoS

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thaliontil said:

Amongst the "character cloths" that GW is selling for Christmas there is one for Neferata. Unless there has been something related to her that I am not aware of, could this be a further nod to a vampire army next year?

Neferata has a line of books dedicated to her from David Annandale while Mannfred does not appear since Realm Wars apart a brief mention in Soul Wars with the other mortarchs... difficult to say with BL but maybe her line of books is popular enough to deserve some merchandising?

If we are listing old armies getting updates even the Morghasts, contenders of the best model with worst rules, got a brand new army around them (Ossiarchs).
Personally I think Legions is destined to be superseded one day but Cities is much behind Legions on this side. You would need many more updates on existing ranges to be able to safely put to rest Cities, but it’s a so cool idea and so easy to keep adding that I don’t see logical just squatting them. Different topic if we wonder if they will get new plastic stuff. Possibly via Warcry or WU, but in AoS that’s a less safe bet...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icegoat said:

People always say it will be so easy for Gw to update cities all they need is a few new units and some terrain.  Let me tell you not once in Aos has that happened to any army. Not once. Not one old army has received a new unit.  Not one. 

Slaanesh got a new Masque and new Fiend models; Slaves to Darkness got new knights and warriors; Gloomspit Gitz got some new stuff; Daughters of Khaine got multiple new models and was basically an old world army without them.

If you mean brand new then Slaanesh got several new leader models; Slaves to Darkness got a host of models through Warcry and a new leader on mount; Gloomspit Gitz was heavily added too; Daughters of Khaine was too. Skaven even got a new lord model. Lumineth are clearly High Elves revised (they've the very same basic core roster of cavalry, archers and spearaelves); Sylvaneth got major additions (granted this also came with losing half the army to Cities of Sigmar). 

And those are just the ones off the top of my head as I'm sure there are some others too within the forces. 

ANYWAY onto better news, the next Morathi short story has been released; check your emails everyone! It's a bloody tale indeed! 

• Like 6