Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

All the signs right now are pointing to DoK getting the love. New battlebox, New warcry band, mortahi campaign book. 

I don't feel like we've seen enough unsolved rumour engines with idoneth motifs to suggest anything other than an Underworlds band.

Which fair enough, DoK have a small range but a cool theme so good for the.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

All the signs right now are pointing to DoK getting the love. New battlebox, New warcry band, mortahi campaign book. 

I don't feel like we've seen enough unsolved rumour engines with idoneth motifs to suggest anything other than an Underworlds band.

Which fair enough, DoK have a small range but a cool theme so good for the.

I remember gw  saying DOK will fight IDK in the book so I’d maybe expect IDK stuff, might be DOK and Slaanesh get the one new model each then IDK get a Ad Mech level of addition I just want endless spells 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

I remember gw  saying DOK will fight IDK in the book so I’d maybe expect IDK stuff, might be DOK and Slaanesh get the one new model each then IDK get a Ad Mech level of addition I just want endless spells 

Or they may not get any new models released but a few new cool rules that finally make those never seen foot soldiers, better in game.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for the record the current DoK battletome already mentions shadow daemons in the context of Morathi first arriving in the mortal  realms after regaining her sanity:

Quote

'Using her magics, she conjured forth spirits from the hidden places - mist elementals and shadow daemons.  Morathi could not tell how much time she spent in the company of these entities, but with them she explored the wide expanses of those mysterious lands.' (Page 6)

So I guess they're just expanding on those themes with the Shadowstalkers really,  interesting to note the reference to 'mist spirits' there as well,  I think if they were going to roll the Mistweaver Saih into the DoK faction they would've already done so, but I don't think she would be a bad fit necessarily.  (Or the Tenebrael Shard, for that matter.)

Edited by Lucentia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep but beyond that one line we've never really had any idea what they were. 

 

Also we know that Malarion's army also uses shadow abilities as well, so its likely something both armies will share as a theme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40k rumour alert. 

9th ed will bring a new xenos race with a battletome in January. Not long to wait to see if it's true.

  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

40k rumour alert. 

9th ed will bring a new xenos race with a battletome in January. Not long to wait to see if it's true.

It's the Kharadron Squats!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now that whole rumour is based on GW's own photo of an upcoming codex with art on the front that shows the Xenos symbol which is used on the "not major league" xenos in the big rule book

This could happen - its long been known that Tau were going to be basically Tau core with lots of Xenos allies; until it went on sale and the mecha-suits dominated the popularity in a big way. Heck even Kroot haven't been updated in years compared to the core Tau mecha suits (and Forgeworld fell in love with them and made loads too). 

I've long thought that GW could do what they've done with Tyrainds and create a "Tau Auxiliary" type Codex which is basically like Genstealer Cults is to Tyranids. Letting them expand the allied Tau forces concept in its own codex without need to worry that the core-mecha forces would overwhelm it. Much like Genestealer Cults isn't competing with Hive tyrants and the like. 

 

But it could also be that GW just used the generic Xenos art as a place holder instead of putting what Xenos faction it really is on the cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the non-Chaos Daemon front...

Way back in the day, there was speculation/head canon that Athel Loren, home of the wood elves was itself a kind of minor Chaos God, taking the form of the forest's genius loci and empowered by the devotion of its elven inhabitants. The reason being that basically the tree spirits fit the bill for a daemon force pretty consistently.

Treemen/Tree lords are greater daemons of Athel Loren, Dryads are the lesser daemons, with tree kin in the intermediate slot. Ariel and Orion are beasically daemon princes empowered by the wood, and so on.

Clearly things work differently in the new world to how they did in the old. But its an idea which has certainly been around for a while, and knowing old warhammer lore, I wouldn't put it past the designers to have intended something like that at one point or another.

  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

40k rumour alert. 

9th ed will bring a new xenos race with a battletome in January. Not long to wait to see if it's true.

They did tease squats back in the run up to 9th.

Ill love to see them return, just for conversion parts for Kharadrons! 

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

On the non-Chaos Daemon front...

Way back in the day, there was speculation/head canon that Athel Loren, home of the wood elves was itself a kind of minor Chaos God, taking the form of the forest's genius loci and empowered by the devotion of its elven inhabitants. The reason being that basically the tree spirits fit the bill for a daemon force pretty consistently.

Treemen/Tree lords are greater daemons of Athel Loren, Dryads are the lesser daemons, with tree kin in the intermediate slot. Ariel and Orion are beasically daemon princes empowered by the wood, and so on.

Clearly things work differently in the new world to how they did in the old. But its an idea which has certainly been around for a while, and knowing old warhammer lore, I wouldn't put it past the designers to have intended something like that at one point or another.

Wow, that’s intriguing! Never heard of that theory before. But it makes sense. There was always something very dark hidden in the concept of Athel Loren. Which was what made Warhammer wood elves special and interesting in my eyes.

Nature is Satan‘s church. 😁

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Wow, that’s intriguing! Never heard of that theory before. But it makes sense. There was always something very dark hidden in the concept of Athel Loren. Which was what made Warhammer wood elves special and interesting in my eyes.

Nature is Satan‘s church. 😁

Definitely! There is a case to be made that everything in the old world was a lot more tied to chaos than it is in the AoS setting. The implication was always that if people believed something, it took shape within the Realm of Chaos, and enough worship would make it form a god. Whether the gods of Law also originated that way was always a cause of speculation. The Wood elves in particular were one of the darker and more mysterious of the "good" factions, but there was that sense of darkness and corruption at the heart of every faction and creed if you knew where to look!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

40k rumour alert. 

9th ed will bring a new xenos race with a battletome in January. Not long to wait to see if it's true.

 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Right now that whole rumour is based on GW's own photo of an upcoming codex with art on the front that shows the Xenos symbol which is used on the "not major league" xenos in the big rule book

This could happen - its long been known that Tau were going to be basically Tau core with lots of Xenos allies; until it went on sale and the mecha-suits dominated the popularity in a big way. Heck even Kroot haven't been updated in years compared to the core Tau mecha suits (and Forgeworld fell in love with them and made loads too). 

I've long thought that GW could do what they've done with Tyrainds and create a "Tau Auxiliary" type Codex which is basically like Genstealer Cults is to Tyranids. Letting them expand the allied Tau forces concept in its own codex without need to worry that the core-mecha forces would overwhelm it. Much like Genestealer Cults isn't competing with Hive tyrants and the like. 

 

But it could also be that GW just used the generic Xenos art as a place holder instead of putting what Xenos faction it really is on the cover

FINALLY!! I've always said that GW dropped the ball with Xenos in 40K because they literally have unlimited scope when it comes to Xenos as the Galaxy and Universe is basically endless so for a new race of Xenos to pop up wouldnt be a suprise.

I'll also be very glad if it's a continuation of the Auxiliaries that the Tau have and it's a 'Cities of Sigmar' for Xenos in 40K. 

This is the first time in over a decade I've been excited for anything 40K and it's still only a rumour. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

On the non-Chaos Daemon front...

Way back in the day, there was speculation/head canon that Athel Loren, home of the wood elves was itself a kind of minor Chaos God, taking the form of the forest's genius loci and empowered by the devotion of its elven inhabitants. The reason being that basically the tree spirits fit the bill for a daemon force pretty consistently.

Treemen/Tree lords are greater daemons of Athel Loren, Dryads are the lesser daemons, with tree kin in the intermediate slot. Ariel and Orion are beasically daemon princes empowered by the wood, and so on.

Clearly things work differently in the new world to how they did in the old. But its an idea which has certainly been around for a while, and knowing old warhammer lore, I wouldn't put it past the designers to have intended something like that at one point or another.

Wow as an old Wood elf player this theory blows my mind. Cool idea. The in-game mechanics of 8th edition also support that theory with the forest spirits sharing a lot of rule similarities with daemons.  And the lore of Athel Loren itself quite resembled a realm of chaos with time and space being inconsistent and the inhabitants tormenting any outsiders.

They really need to expand the Sylvaneth model line (or release Kurnothi as an expansion). The codex is built on the back of 3 newer kits (Alarielle, Spites, Hunters) mashed together with 2 old kits. (Treelord, Dryads). Thats a shame for such a cool faction.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FW have updated the warscroll for the Bonegrinder (now called the Bonegrinder Mega-Gargant) to bring it in line with the other SoB units: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/qoNOUvdzwe7R46S3.pdf

It's essentially a fourth mega-gargant variant now. Has the Gatebreaker's missile attack, a stronger stomp, and an eating attack that seems to be a more reliable if more limited version of the Kraken-eater's 'stuff in net' attack.

There's also a Bonegrinder mercenary available to Destruction forces that offers a bravery boost to ork units.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SirSalabean said:

So how likely is a completely new army or large amount of new models for either 40K or AOS by January?

The formula for prediction is as follows

P = G+W/M-(X*Ao)S+(N-AN+A-BB)*2X

However no one has yet worked out the values for all the variables.

 

 

Basically it could happen and it could not happen. GW could do it, functionally there is potential there. However with the Christmas run up and Corona they might spread out plans or delay things or shift them around or go full steam ahead or anything. Basically we've got no way to know what's coming and no real way to accurately predict what GW could do. 

Right know we know most things up to November. After that we've got a few ideas but nothing concrete. This weekend and Warhammer Day might well show some more information or there might be other preview events. We also don't know how far ahead GW is going to reveal things. In the past it was 3 months or so; with Corona they might start giving shorter reveals but with some longer term generic goals. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, going left to right:

  • chap with the big fan-collar, the owl and the staff with rings is the Lumienth WHU leader
  • Slaaneshi archer for WHU
  • Blood Bowl referee holding up yellow/red card in their left hand, right arm has a feathered helm in the crook of the elbow
  • Slaaneshi leader for WHU

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people are reading too much into the Xenos icon on the 9th 'dex. By virtue of being Xenos they don't have a unified in or out of universe symbol the same way the Imperium and Chaos do, so they slapped some vague, non-specific piece of art on there so as not to give the actual 'dex away.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HollowHills said:

40k rumour alert. 

9th ed will bring a new xenos race with a battletome in January. Not long to wait to see if it's true.

Skeptical of it happening but it is I think it’s what every they accidentally released into the galaxy from Blackstone fortress

 

26 minutes ago, Overread said:

The formula for prediction is as follows

P = G+W/M-(X*Ao)S+(N-AN+A-BB)*2X

However no one has yet worked out the values for all the variables.

 

 

A real formula uses Greek letters, where your Omegas and Rho?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Only way they would ever drag me back to 40k.

Only way they will ever drag me into 40k

Edited by Sttufe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...