The Rumour Thread

Great reveals, will most likely have to break the  promise I made to myself not to buy any new plastic till I finish at least half of my pile of shame though. The warcry set is a must buy, for me, really love the warbands, and with additional  terrain, i guess it will be a good deal, like with the first starterset, have  to wait for the price  of course. Hope we can expect to see more new warbands with new models for other factions next year (not sure if it is a realisitic thought.) 

the dual army box is tempting, probably a good deal too with approx 180 GBP worth of models, new heroes excluded. Not sure yet, i might resist the temptation. Always loved DoK and they were already on my list of favorite armies that i might want to start next, slaanesh also have various models i would love to built and paint, but the ones in the box are not really among my favorites, so I am in doubt, still plenty of time left to let it sink for a bit.

The broken realms, starting with Morathi is great news, hope it means most armies will get some love over time now, at least lore wise. Not sure what that means for a possible 3.0 release. Personally I feel it is to early for a new edition anyway, I mean we just had a year of GW  focussing on updating all BT, with a new release that would all start over again, what are the reasosn so many people expect a new edition next year? Personally i would prefer them to at least start replacing the old metal and finecast still prominent in some armies, at some point these molds will be worn down right?, and need to be replaced anyway.

22 minutes ago, Lowki said:

the dual army box is tempting, probably a good deal too with approx 180 GBP worth of models, new heroes excluded. Not sure yet, i might resist the temptation. Always loved DoK and they were already on my list of favorite armies that i might want to start next, slaanesh also have various models i would love to built and paint, but the ones in the box are not really among my favorites, so I am in doubt, still plenty of time left to let it sink for a bit.

I also am really interested by this dual army box: I'd start one of the armies. But which one? What do you think about the content for EACH army? I'll have to resell one half. 

What's about the (real!!!) popularity of each side?  

19 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I also am really interested by this dual army box: I'd start one of the armies. But which one? What do you think about the content for EACH army? I'll have to resell one half. 

What's about the (real!!!) popularity of each side?  

Well the Daughters of Khaine have more value in the box by about £10 or so. So their models will likely resell very easily from the box being as they are on the expensive side of building an army. Basically every set in the box for DoK is around £30 whilst every set for Slaanesh is closer to £20 in value. Both are popular armies, though the "power" in both is actually in models not in the box - for DoK its witches (though honestly snakes with spears do very well); meanwhile for Slaanesh the real power is in leaders and Keepers. 

I think the box is solid content for either army and that it really comes down to which you want. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lowki said:

The broken realms, starting with Morathi is great news, hope it means most armies will get some love over time now, at least lore wise. Not sure what that means for a possible 3.0 release. Personally I feel it is to early for a new edition anyway, I mean we just had a year of GW  focussing on updating all BT, with a new release that would all start over again, what are the reasosn so many people expect a new edition next year? Personally i would prefer them to at least start replacing the old metal and finecast still prominent in some armies, at some point these molds will be worn down right?, and need to be replaced anyway.

Because GW likes being cyclic/stable, and for now everything points out at new editions every 3 years. Broken Realms is further confirmations as we might see some general updates and added rules for all factions as they get ready for AoS 3, where those new rules would mean factions remain playable with the changes.

I don't see which year you're speaking of though. When did GW focus on updating all BTs. The other stuff is simply another matter entirely. A new edition will happen independently of more or less new models being introduced. It's not a "we either get AoS 3 or GW concentrates on newer models."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Just looking at it again. The sail on the right is the spitting image of the sails used by the dark elf corsairs. 

That is because they are dark elf ships. This art is from the end times, when sea lord Aislinn and Lokhir Fellheart battle it out on the inner sea. 
it might have something to do with the Idoneth because Aislinn was seen as a champion of Mathlann. But a little weird they show this piece of art in te preview.

in the piece with Morathi it seems like both forms of Morathi are there at the same time... maybe it is some kind of ritual as the monster form is bursting from an enormous cauldron of blood. You can see Morathi in her elf-form in front of the cauldron holding up something shiny... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

Personally I feel it is to early for a new edition anyway, I mean we just had a year of GW  focussing on updating all BT, with a new release that would all start over again, what are the reasosn so many people expect a new edition next year? Personally i would prefer them to at least start replacing the old metal and finecast still prominent in some armies, at some point these molds will be worn down right?, and need to be replaced anyway.

I think most people here are currently  agree with you, the game may have a few rough edges to smooth over but overall certainly does not need a new edition.

We may feel differently by the time we get to the end of Broken Realms though, As I recall a lot of people complained about Psychic Awakening  bloating and imbalancing 40k 8th Edition rather badly. GW might do  better job with balance this time around, but its no guarantee. The more cynical among us will likely say that part of the point of these kinds of releases is to skew things so badly that we're eager for an edition update.

As for why people feel that we're coming up on a new edition, GW seems to have settled into a 3-year cycle for their games (8th edition to 9th edition for 40k was 3 years, and I believe AoS1-AoS2 was also 3, if you ignore the period before there were "proper" game points.) Personally, I feel a 4 or even 5 year rotation would do better, but I'm not the one making money off of this game (far from it 😜 )

I'm curious to see what GW's plan for sculpts is. I had imagined that once they finished updating Battletomes they might do a year or two of re-sculpting and bring the older factions in line with the newer designs and aesthetics. Between the battletomes and new army releases of the last two years, they didn't make a ton of room for model redesigns, and if we get a new edition they're just going to have to start the cycle all over again. 

I suppose theoretically they could pick a few older factions and give them an overhaul, like they did with Gloomspite. Alternatively, having a Battletome for each of the factions now might streamline the updating process for future editions and allow them more time to start start focusing on models, but that may be an optimistic view of the matter.

Either way, they'll still be releasing new factions, as each new faction generates a lot of sales upon release, and they certainly aren't going to jump off of that bandwagon, particularly since they seem so unwilling to introduce new factions into 40k. They gotta get that jolt of cash from somewhere, and AoS is still very much fertile ground for new ideas.

• LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

Because GW likes being cyclic/stable, and for now everything points out at new editions every 3 years. Broken Realms is further confirmations as we might see some general updates and added rules for all factions as they get ready for AoS 3, where those new rules would mean factions remain playable with the changes.

I don't see which year you're speaking of though. When did GW focus on updating all BTs. The other stuff is simply another matter entirely. A new edition will happen independently of more or less new models being introduced. It's not a "we either get AoS 3 or GW concentrates on newer models."

Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t my intention to make a statement or anything like that, I am everything but an expert in rhe matter. Cycles makes sense of course. Must say that it felt like it was ages ago AOS was introduced, but quick lookup learned it was 2015, so yeah seems to indicate a 3 yr cycle, if you can say that from just two editions. 40k last 3 editions were also 3 yrs apart, so guess that further makes it more likely. On the other hand both wfb and 40k earlier editions had a much less regular pattern, but ok, of course it makes more sense to look at he more recent history when making assumptions about a possible new edition.  

So yes, if I had to choose I would say 3rd edition next year would be the most likely, but it is not like I am totally convinced,, if you read some comment you would think GW already announced it, just a formality, but there can be many reasons for it to be later, not to mention the delay by the lockdown, and any possible lockdown yet to come.. 

I agree on that updating  rules/BT shouldn’t have much to do with the rate of new models introduced, especially since  they are not produced at the same location (China/Nothingham) , and probably also different development teams involved. Still I got  the strong impression  updating BT and giving everything a place (instead of allthese smalll BT-less factions left from the world that was) was  prioritized since Sould wars, especially during 2019, and with reason imo. And somehow it felt like this was done at the cost of less model updates.Of course we still got plenty of new stuff, not complaining at all, some new armies even, but in general most factions had to do with a single new heroe via a dual army box. Kinda had my hopes set on now every model got a place in a 2.0 BT GW would start to give some extra love to faction that really need older models replaced or a bit more variety, Maybe it also just waiting for the new factory to be ready for production. Dunno. 

just my 2 cents

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lowki said:

So yes, if I had to choose I would say 3rd edition next year would be the most likely, but it is not like I am totally convinced,, if you read some comment you would think GW already announced it, just a formality, but there can be many reasons for it to be later, not to mention the delay by the lockdown, and any possible lockdown yet to come.. 

I agree on that updating  rules/BT shouldn’t have much to do with the rate of new models introduced, especially since  they are not produced at the same location (China/Nothingham) , and probably also different development teams involved. Still I got  the strong impression  updating BT and giving everything a place (instead of allthese smalll BT-less factions left from the world that was) was  prioritized since Sould wars, especially during 2019, and with reason imo. And somehow it felt like this was done at the cost of less model updates.Of course we still got plenty of new stuff, not complaining at all, some new armies even, but in general most factions had to do with a single new heroe via a dual army box. Kinda had my hopes set on now every model got a place in a 2.0 BT GW would start to give some extra love to faction that really need older models replaced or a bit more variety, Maybe it also just waiting for the new factory to be ready for production. Dunno. 

just my 2 cents

Well, in regards to announcing it, do have in mind that GW announced 40k's 9th basically weeks before it came out, so I definitely wouldn't expect to hear anything at all about AoS 3 until, at the very least, next June. Although one of the major reasons for me believing this is what I said about PA. 40k got this series of lore/rules update for all factions from November to almost summer, then 9th was announced and they said PA had been done with the new ed in mind, introducing rules to ease the armies into it. Now, with AoS, we're getting Broken Realms from this October on. So it feels really on the nose to me.

On the second point, I don't have much of a strong argument. I really don't know to what degree GW splits work, or how much does it affect their decision making that introducing new models would usually make them more money. I wouldn't be surprised if we even see some new faction before next summer (Malerion? Vampire Coast?). At least we do know that some stuff will show up, as we've seen the DoK - Slaanesh box (which, btw, also seems to imitate 40k's PA with how their first book was about the Aeldari -elves, and they got a box too).

As a final opinion, I think many people aren't sure we need AoS 3 cuz we're used to AoS 2 and don't feel like there's anything big to introduce rules-wise, but I feel like it'll always be like this until the edition itself comes, and we see what changes GW would like to introduce (on a personal level, I'd like a revamped Look Out Sir rule, as the current one no longer works).

I've always believed Malekith 2 was going to be next edition. The idea that hes just chilling in Ulgu and not up to much seemed unlikely. 

Prediction: Aelf Gods beat the snot out of each other and are knackered which leaves the board clear for the denied Phoenix King to reveal himself and his machinations and demand the fealty of all Aelf Kind. Possibly with some form of Dragonish Faction backing him.  Probably Idoneth being given some favours too.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

5 minutes ago, Nos said:

I've always believed Malekith 2 was going to be next edition. The idea that hes just chilling in Ulgu and not up to much seemed unlikely. 

Prediction: Aelf Gods beat the snot out of each other and are knackered which leaves the board clear for the denied Phoenix King to reveal himself and his machinations and demand the fealty of all Aelf Kind. Possibly with some form of Dragonish Faction backing him.  Probably Idoneth being given some favours too.

If ever they planned on making Aelves their own grand alliance that would be the story to justify it. 🤯

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

If ever they planned on making Aelves their own grand alliance that would be the story to justify it. 🤯

No. Because nothing can justify that. Grand Alliances do not exist in-universe. So no amount of civil war will change that aelves are GA: Order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, michu said:

No. Because nothing can justify that. Grand Alliances do not exist in-universe. So no amount of civil war will change that aelves are GA: Order.

I am just repeating something I have seen people asking for in the past. Some people feel there is both an Aelven and Order bloat and this would streamline both. As you pointed out these grand alliances are not explicit to the diegetic universe of the narrative. Malerion unifying the Aelves under his own banner could be an interesting narrative beat to be reflected by rules. I am not arguing that this should happen just that if it were to happen this would be a really cool moment to enact it. 

10 minutes ago, Gistradagis said:

Malerion on Chaos, after he remembers the ****** Morathi did to him and decides he's had enough of the other elves bs. But as an outlying/independent faction.

And? Independent factions are also GA: Order if they hate Chaos, Nagash and don't worship Gorkamorka. Grand Alliances are just artificial groupings , especially Order- like Protista in biology. Something doesn't fit other categories? Let's dump it there.

@Neverchosen ok, I understand. I just think that Order bloat is justifed - their the closest to the main protagonists of the story.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, michu said:

And? Independent factions are also GA: Order if they hate Chaos, Nagash and don't worship Gorkamorka. Grand Alliances are just artificial groupings , especially Order- like Protista in biology. Something doesn't fit other categories? Let's dump it there.

@Neverchosen ok, I understand. I just think that Order bloat is justifed - their the closest to the main protagonists of the story.

The point being... What? I'm just theorizing stuff for which Malerion could be outside Order. An antagonistic Malerion, affected or not by Slaanesh, can be argued into Chaos. I'm not sure why you're telling me about GA. 

AoS 3.0 next year would match the most recent trend but is not a given at all especially considering the current pandemic. While 9th 40K was mostly planned and organised pre-Covid, AoS 3.0 must have had a significant portion of development this year.

Nottingham is also at strong risk of a local lockdown according to the last numbers from the government. On a new big planned release for next year, GW has more choice and time to organise themselves and the chance to delay it (if it was scheduled at all) than they could with 40k. So I wouldn’t be so adamant 3th edition is coming next year considering the current situation but I would be pleasantly surprised.
In saying so I hope broken realms bring new miniatures and rules to the most desperate factions but as far as I know from PA, it will not solve warscroll issues, is that true people who follow 40K more? 
Independently it seems AoS was not forgotten (as mentioned in the preview) and we may seem some more things this year. My wallet is definitely worrying...

43 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

AoS 3.0 next year would match the most recent trend but is not a given at all especially considering the current pandemic. While 9th 40K was mostly planned and organised pre-Covid, AoS 3.0 must have had a significant portion of development this year.

Nottingham is also at strong risk of a local lockdown according to the last numbers from the government. On a new big planned release for next year, GW has more choice and time to organise themselves and the chance to delay it (if it was scheduled at all) than they could with 40k. So I wouldn’t be so adamant 3th edition is coming next year considering the current situation but I would be pleasantly surprised.
In saying so I hope broken realms bring new miniatures and rules to the most desperate factions but as far as I know from PA, it will not solve warscroll issues, is that true people who follow 40K more? 
Independently it seems AoS was not forgotten (as mentioned in the preview) and we may seem some more things this year. My wallet is definitely worrying...

Depends on the army. PA basically rewrote the book on Grey Knights and Admech but barely affected Genestealers and Nids, for example. Sisters didn't actually get a single army specific rule in any of the books, even.

Well a lot of people  didn’t think 40k was getting a new edition this year either for the same reason (or remain sceptical) but it happen anyway. I remember the guy from GMG knew it was probably going to happen once PA was releasing because he knew that how GW likes to row when it comes to edition changes

most people on this forum are probably not as fond of an new edition but it may not hold true to the larger populace who like freshness, updates and new things coming out like edition changes.

Edited by novakai

1 hour ago, alghero81 said:

Yeah I think it would have absolutley been the Intention at HQ in Jan 2020 for AOS 3 to release in 2021, but this year's...challenges will have definitely left that up in the air

6 hours ago, Overread said:

Well the Daughters of Khaine have more value in the box by about £10 or so. So their models will likely resell very easily from the box being as they are on the expensive side of building an army. Basically every set in the box for DoK is around £30 whilst every set for Slaanesh is closer to £20 in value. Both are popular armies, though the "power" in both is actually in models not in the box - for DoK its witches (though honestly snakes with spears do very well); meanwhile for Slaanesh the real power is in leaders and Keepers. 

I think the box is solid content for either army and that it really comes down to which you want. 

I'll aim for 4 boxes and I think that I'll keep the slanesh halves. Do I need more troops? How many keepers?