Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Nope. Simply the best models and biggest playerbase. Also most of us were hooked when we were young.

Yes, exactly. They continue to make the best models. They dont fall out of the sky. They make that product, which is what people want, and pay increasing sums year on year for. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure is this is the right place to ask, but have the mercenary companies been dropped in GHB2020?

I can't seem to find them on the warscroll builder thingy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Hopefully they do the latter!!

I'm hoping they drop the Sons in August or at least the same week as the Necromunda Warband, for all intents and purpose it's basically the same size as a Warband release.

I really hope we dont have to wait until October, that would be a 5 month delay on the Sons if they were truly suppose to release in May, though at least it wasnt an on purpose delay more so the world has to deal with its issues first which of course is the paramount issue.

 

The trouble is that we know from an original flyer that 40k is launching a month late. Since gw was closed for 2 months it means 40k jumped the queue by a month, It has probably pulled the marine and Necron releases along with it, so anything that was originally intended to arrive before 40k now has to wait until 9th edition, the new marines and the new necrons have come out. It means we are going to have a long wait for those AOS releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Hopefully they do the latter!!

Looking forward to them as well, at least to get 1 big guy for my StD army, they even show that in the new GHB on images, however no info on how they fit in as allies/mercs yet, I need to know! 

I can see a problem with people wanting to get into the army as a whole, unless GW pulls some kind of stunt, it looks like their stunted factories will have major issues with enough of the small gargant kits, they are already sold out as is everywhere.

We can only hope they make some kind of 3 gargant Sons kit and surprise everyone with that and a decent value, that would be sweet ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, hwd48 said:

Not sure is this is the right place to ask, but have the mercenary companies been dropped in GHB2020?

I can't seem to find them on the warscroll builder thingy...

They were not in it (I heard). Losing them from the builder is a bit disheartening, it was a nice idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

They were not in it (I heard). Losing them from the builder is a bit disheartening, it was a nice idea.

Yeah and really annoying for those of us who, only a year ago, loved the idea and spent a wad of cash on some expensive resin blood knights..... grumble grumble etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hwd48 said:

Yeah and really annoying for those of us who, only a year ago, loved the idea and spent a wad of cash on some expensive resin blood knights..... grumble grumble etc etc

Well, they did discontinue the plastic set most often used to kitbash to blood knights for cheap (dragon princes) right after the previous GHB. As well as the General, Cannon and Organ gun, also in mercs.

Nothing of which is really helping their case.

Here's me hoping for you that Blood Knights will at least remain in AoS in some form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea

3 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Well, they did discontinue the plastic set most often used to kitbash to blood knights for cheap (dragon princes) right after the previous GHB. As well as the General, Cannon and Organ gun, also in mercs.

Nothing of which is really helping their case.

Here's me hoping for you that Blood Knights will at least remain in AoS in some form.

Me too! If not they are models i have wanted to paint since I first saw them back in the mists of time so at least theres that!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nos said:

Yes, exactly. They continue to make the best models. They dont fall out of the sky. They make that product, which is what people want, and pay increasing sums year on year for. 

Yeah and the art/illustrations/fiction etc to support it- look how well they've built AoS.

On future releases I'd hope we see some Warcry/Underworlds previews soon after the 40k set hits for a breather! I'd say Necrons and Marines will follow after Indomitus, I think Sons would be a good release in-between all the 40k stuff with the rest of the lumineth coming later [September sounds right]. 

But yeah really interested and hopeful that Warcry war bands will be interesting [not to take away from the great releases for Necrons/Lumineth/Giants- they just aren't my thing]. I thought the first wave of kits were really nice models but I'm not into chaos at all, id be tempted to collect other factions war bands though, ideally I'd love a dwarf war band of some kind [reimagined rangers!] or Kurnothi, but the Khainite war band looks very nice already..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nos said:

Yes, exactly. They continue to make the best models. They dont fall out of the sky. They make that product, which is what people want, and pay increasing sums year on year for. 

It's less to do with the models, so much as it is sheer player numbers. Wargaming is a very expensive hobby, one which the vast majority of people get into via Warhammer - except for historicals which is a whole other beast - and once there, are very reluctant to try other games because they've already invested so much and know that GW's core games will always have a playerbase for this reason. Tabletop wargaming by its nature is a social hobby that requires other people. This creates a vicious cycle where people don't try, or don't stick with, alternative games because GW purchases are a 'safe bet'.

It's also why the whole "if you don't like the new edition none's taking away your rules!" argument doesn't really work, because most people don't want to be left behind no matter how much they prefer what came before, so inevitably buckle to the trend. The fanbase is so notoriously negative - less so here, but you know hat I mean - elsewhere because a large number of people would be much happier playing other, more balanced, better written, cheaper rulesets but know they play a GW game or don't play at all. This is where GW's sort-of-but-not-literally a monopoly comes from.

GW do arguably produce the highest quality models (in my opinion their designs are overdesigned tripe more often than not), but if GW were in a second or third position to another wargame in terms of popularity, chances are that the poorer models of another company would be selling better just by virtue of that game overall being more popular. It's a shame because competition IS healthy and GW have the resources to make good on improvements if they cared to, but why bother hiring proper editors for their notoriously error-ridden and Day 1 FAQ necessary books when people happily buy them, warts and all anyway?

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know what the ETA is for the update for the post-Cities factions who weren’t expressly updated in GHB2020?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, James101 said:

Does anybody know what the ETA is for the update for the post-Cities factions who weren’t expressly updated in GHB2020?

Nope. It's what we've been discussing the previous couple days, GW has said nothing about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hwd48 said:

Not sure is this is the right place to ask, but have the mercenary companies been dropped in GHB2020?

I can't seem to find them on the warscroll builder thingy...

** They have and I am furious about it.

 

Edit: ** apparently

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gistradagis said:

People are saying it looks like Lelith Hesperax, but I wanna be naive and say Dark Elves are coming!

they say it but i agree too with you, that hook is planted into flesh in my opinion

AND

that genre of tail is the same of plenty new releases : ossiarch hero on steed with double tail, deepkin hero on big goldfish narvalo ecc, similar tail pose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

they say it but i agree too with you, that hook is planted into flesh in my opinion

AND

that genre of tail is the same of plenty new releases : ossiarch hero on steed with double tail, deepkin hero on big goldfish narvalo ecc, similar tail pose

The Tenabrael Shaed has remarkably similar hook hair

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nos said:

The Tenabrael Shaed has remarkably similar hook hair

So does the finecast Lelith though, as well as an identical knife to the one from the rumour engine last week.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chikout said:

The trouble is that we know from an original flyer that 40k is launching a month late. Since gw was closed for 2 months it means 40k jumped the queue by a month, It has probably pulled the marine and Necron releases along with it, so anything that was originally intended to arrive before 40k now has to wait until 9th edition, the new marines and the new necrons have come out. It means we are going to have a long wait for those AOS releases. 

It's a shame really but I understand seeing as itll be their biggest money maker this year and the UK is set for a second wave of Covid and if that means another lockdown you dont want your flagship product being delayed. Still I think there is room enough for the Sons, it's one new kit, one repackaged kit and a Battletome and Warscroll cards. A very small release.

6 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Looking forward to them as well, at least to get 1 big guy for my StD army, they even show that in the new GHB on images, however no info on how they fit in as allies/mercs yet, I need to know! 

I can see a problem with people wanting to get into the army as a whole, unless GW pulls some kind of stunt, it looks like their stunted factories will have major issues with enough of the small gargant kits, they are already sold out as is everywhere.

We can only hope they make some kind of 3 gargant Sons kit and surprise everyone with that and a decent value, that would be sweet ;)

I'm still hoping for a King Brodd in a year or so, maybe with their 3.0 Battletome in a couple years with King Brodd coming out of hiding to rally the Sons.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Sons of Behemat!! What release date are we realistically looking at here? August or September? July is going to be dominated by 9th but will August be as well?

My money would be on early August. I know they want to get 40k stuff out the door but I imagine they'll give the players a week of breathing room after needing to buy all the new books and indomitus.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sons of Behemat announcement on sunday, but it might be more likely that we get a specialist games release since some of those have been dragging for a while as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

It's also why the whole "if you don't like the new edition none's taking away your rules!" argument doesn't really work, because most people don't want to be left behind no matter how much they prefer what came before, so inevitably buckle to the trend. The fanbase is so notoriously negative - less so here, but you know hat I mean - elsewhere because a large number of people would be much happier playing other, more balanced, better written, cheaper rulesets but know they play a GW game or don't play at all. This is where GW's sort-of-but-not-literally a monopoly comes from.

Sorry, but I just figured I'd chime in here for a second. I did feel very similarly once and actually got so fed up with GW and their system that I departed for what I believed to be greener pastures. I totally abandoned GW tried out their main competitor for about 5 years and researched a number of other games and companies. The main thing I discovered? Everyone else is pretty much the same. Every company botches releases, every company makes mistakes, every company has their eyes focused on the bottom line one way or another. No matter how much you hear about other games being balanced, there are still balance issues present no matter where you go and the further you dig into a game the more evident it becomes. In the end I came back to GW because I realized that if every game is unbalanced, and every company is only out to make money in the end, then I might as well play a game that looked amazing and I enjoyed playing (for a variety of factors I won't bother going into). Just my humble opinion I guess.

  • Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

** They have and I am furious about it.

 

Edit: ** apparently

Yeah that's BS.  I didn't really mind that they simplified the realm rules (realmscape feature were too random, and the malign sorcery artifacts were too wild in their power levels), and I didn't really mind that they took away the new triumphs, but they really shouldn't take away rules that I actually had to buy models for, especially after only introducing them a year ago.  It seriously makes me doubt purchasing any models for the sake of a GHB rule in the future.  Blacksmoke Battery was so much fun in Greywater Fastness!

Also, does anyone know if the three new command abilities introduced in the GHB 2019 are still legal?  All-out Defence, All-out Attack, and Volley Fire?  Mine doesn't get here till tomorrow.  Did they also do away with the new terrain tokens from GHB 2019 (volcanic, entangled, commanding, healing, etc)?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, willange said:

Yeah that's BS.  I didn't really mind that they simplified the realm rules (realmscape feature were too random, and the malign sorcery artifacts were too wild in their power levels), and I didn't really mind that they took away the new triumphs, but they really shouldn't take away rules that I actually had to buy models for, especially after only introducing them a year ago.  It seriously makes me doubt purchasing any models for the sake of a GHB rule in the future.  Blacksmoke Battery was so much fun in Greywater Fastness!

Also, does anyone know if the three new command abilities introduced in the GHB 2019 are still legal?  All-out Defence, All-out Attack, and Volley Fire?  Mine doesn't get here till tomorrow.  Did they also do away with the new terrain tokens from GHB 2019 (volcanic, entangled, commanding, healing, etc)?

Command abilities and terrain is the same I think, but I didn`t look that hard at terrain rules so maybe there were some small changes.

Regarding mercenaries, they were from the start in narrative section, weren`t they? So never were legal for matched play IIRC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boar said:

Regarding mercenaries, they were from the start in narrative section, weren`t they? So never were legal for matched play IIRC?

No they were actually one of the "major features" of matched play in both Forbidden Power and GHB 2019.  They were fully legal for matched in the azyr app and warscroll builder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, willange said:

No they were actually one of the "major features" of matched play in both Forbidden Power and GHB 2019.  They were fully legal for matched in the azyr app and warscroll builder.

Theyre actually in the narrative play section of GHB2019, whilst they could be used in matched play they were introduced in the narrative play section

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Melcavuk said:

Theyre actually in the narrative play section of GHB2019, whilst they could be used in matched play they were introduced in the narrative play section

Ah makes sense.  I guess I was thinking of the preview articles for Forbidden Power then where it was billed as one of the major new systems.  Regardless, I'm still sort of mad at myself (and GW) that I went a bought an organ gun and cannon.  At least I didn't overpay for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...