The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, Beastmaster said:

More and more I begin to think that this whole Hype thing is just overrated. Sure, with the first pictures everyone (me included) thinks „New! Shiny!“, but does that generate sales? Until the new miniatures are available, that first hype is long gone, and anyone not completely new to miniatures knows that building an army is a long-term project anyway. So, maybe for most the decision for or against an army is more of a long-term process, too. Guided by a comparison of all the armies available, and it doesn’t matter so much how old or new they are.

This is a very old argument, with people passionately on both sides.  Does massive long-term pre-hype help more with sales, or do surprise releases help more with sales?

I think there is a lot of regional or cultural variance here.  Some people are convinced (whether by observation or by being or talking with a FLGS owner who tracks things) that a healthy pre-release information dump helps with sales as people get excited and save up to buy on release day.  Some people in the same circumstances (observation or FLGS info) are convinced that a healthy pre-release information dump hampers sales as people get most excited long before release day, and then forget about it and are already looking at the next thing when release day finally comes.

Both of these can simultaneously be true in different stores, in different regions, in different countries.

In aggregate, which dominates?  I think that answer is beyond us, without access to proprietary sales data.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

In aggregate, which dominates?  I think that answer is beyond us, without access to proprietary sales data

But it’s definitely within range of the GW marketing team. So I would be willing to bet the numbers show that the current strategy, Long teasing built up, spike in info before pre-orders, works. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't fully see the rush to have a new General's Hand Book. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have one, but one of the main appeals to the General's hand book is points adjustments. However, because of the pandemic, many large tournaments could not happen in that  time frame and I believe  that tournament date is one of the best measuring sticks for proper points adjustment. Since we didn't have those tournaments I feel adjusting the points maybe too much a shot in the dark. I know I have barely had a chance to experiment with the last points adjustment and while I still have personal ideas on what may need adjusting, these are all layovers from the last points adjustment.

1 hour ago, peasant said:

Im starting to think this year we wont have ghb 

13 minutes ago, Chaos Shepard said:

I don't fully see the rush to have a new General's Hand Book. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have one, but one of the main appeals to the General's hand book is points adjustments. However, because of the pandemic, many large tournaments could not happen in that  time frame and I believe  that tournament date is one of the best measuring sticks for proper points adjustment. Since we didn't have those tournaments I feel adjusting the points maybe too much a shot in the dark. I know I have barely had a chance to experiment with the last points adjustment and while I still have personal ideas on what may need adjusting, these are all layovers from the last points adjustment.

The shipping manifest leaked showing the GHB. Its definitely still coming as GW would want to make something back on its production costs at least. It may very well be up for Pre Order this weekend and hey it's still only June so even if its released in late July that's still mid year-ish.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

15 minutes ago, Chaos Shepard said:

Well wasn't the last GHB was split between two books with only one focusing on points? Maybe they will do the same this time around and release them at separate dates?

Edited by Neverchosen

17 hours ago, Chaos Shepard said:

It looks like the GHB was already ordered before, or shortly after, the pandemic actually began to hinder data.  So the changes in points cost likely reflect data gathered in the first quarter of 2020. 

But I get what you are saying. However I think the gap we are experiencing right now is more likely to impact the December points update, because now is when we would be gathering that data.

Its also important to remember that there is more to the GHB than just points. It also includes updated Battleplans which can play a huge part in balancing tournaments. Personally I also enjoy getting fun updates like Mercenaries and rules for many of the older factions that don't have codexes. 

I 100% think they should get the GHB out sooner rather than later. I would hate to get it in Aug-Sept just to turn around and see a new one in June 2021. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Landohammer said:

Its also important to remember that there is more to the GHB than just points. It also includes updated Battleplans which can play a huge part in balancing tournaments. Personally I also enjoy getting fun updates like Mercenaries and rules for many of the older factions that don't have codexes. 

Yeah, I hope there is further refinement for mercenary rules. I also am hoping for some updates to some of the older tomes like LoN, IDK and Maggot Kin. :) 

Edited by Neverchosen

3 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Yeah i hope there is further refinement for mercenary rules I also am hoping for some updates to some of the older tomes like LoN, IDK and Maggot Kin. :) 

At this point I just hope they keep Mercenaries around. Part of me wonders if GHB 19 was just some kind of "last hurrah" for certain out of print (but still popular) models like cannons and maneaters. I 100% expect that they will drop redundant factions like Wanderers and Dispossessed which makes me kinda sad. 

They did pretty much give Seraphon an entire codex worth of data in the last GHB, so who knows. Maybe some older factions will get some love! 

I normally cringe at buying any kind of GW rule book, simply because everything is available online for free and the rules rotate out so fast. But GHBs have always been worth the money IMHO and I appreciate the yearly balance review they imply. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Yeah, I hope there is further refinement for mercenary rules. I also am hoping for some updates to some of the older tomes like LoN, IDK and Maggot Kin. :) 

I realize it's accurate to call those "older" but it still makes me chuckle since I recall a time when there would be 4, 6, or even 8 years or so between updates to army books. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I realize it's accurate to call those "older" but it still makes me chuckle since I recall a time when there would be 4, 6, or even 8 years or so between updates to army books. 🙂

Leaving the hobby for 10 years and then returning, the amount of product GW is churning out is insane. I remember a good 2 years when  almost absolutely nothing came out for WHFB in the early 2000s or at least it felt like that. 

I am starting to hope for Duardin players that there truly is a Dispossed army coming soon. There are 2 Duardin forces currently and there are 3 Aelven factions, 4 if you include the Sylvaneth and 5 if including the rumoured Shadow Aelves so I dont think having a 'Classic' Duardin force is too much of a stretch.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

Do we have any idea what will be next army after Gargants? I'm guessing it's toss between Kurnothi, Malerion Aelves and Soulblight at this point?

Either Malerions Aelves or Soulblight. Though seeing as we are just getting some new Order Aleves and new Destruction Gargants, it would make sense to give the Death Alliance another Faction, even though they just had the OBR. 

Also a few recent Rumour Engines look quite 'Vampiric'.

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

Do we have any idea what will be next army after Gargants? I'm guessing it's toss between Kurnothi, Malerion Aelves and Soulblight at this point?

My guess is either multi-part Slaves To Darkness or Soulblight. On the other hand there's every possibility that GW will just pull something completely out of the left-field. 

I'm also willing to bet it'll be a Christmas Day reveal like Gloomspite were.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

My guess is either multi-part Slaves To Darkness or Soulblight. On the other hand there's every possibility that GW will just pull something completely out of the left-field. 

I'm also willing to bet it'll be a Christmas Day reveal like Gloomspite were.

I honestly wouldn't also be suprised by new Slaneesh mortals along with the multi part Chaos Warriors.

26 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

It's hard to guess as the different design teams aren't always directly communicating. with all the books updated for 2.0 we could be getting some experimental stuff,campaign books not necessarily new armies between cycles.

I still think Kurnothi are a big if and an if that might well just be expanding Sylvaneth rather than their own army. Soulblight is not confirmed but is exceptionally likely to happen at some stage (if not as their own force then rising up as the core of the Legions of Nagash). Malerion is the only one they've hinted at a lot since the very start, its honestly surprising how many new factions (Idoneth, Ossiarchs) we've had before them considering that they sat side by side with the Luminoth in reveals in the big rule book. 

We've also got to consider that GW might give destruction more than just Gargants this year. 

11 minutes ago, Overread said:

I still think Kurnothi are a big if and an if that might well just be expanding Sylvaneth rather than their own army. Soulblight is not confirmed but is exceptionally likely to happen at some stage (if not as their own force then rising up as the core of the Legions of Nagash). Malerion is the only one they've hinted at a lot since the very start, its honestly surprising how many new factions (Idoneth, Ossiarchs) we've had before them considering that they sat side by side with the Luminoth in reveals in the big rule book. 

We've also got to consider that GW might give destruction more than just Gargants this year. 

Sweet Gargant god more for Destruction!? I pray to Behemat for this gift. What could be added to Destruction? A new Faction or new units for existing armies?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Overread said:

So I REALLY want a Kurnothi faction. I think it also would be cool to just expand the Sylvaneth line (they need it).  But with Sylvaneth getting a recent refresh, its hard to imagine they would expand them again. 

So here is a question: Has there ever been an AOS faction  that was expanded on in this manner? Like with an entire new range of different aesthetic sub group tacked on to an existing codex? 

If we look at armies like Gloomspite, Ironjaws, DoK, Lumineth etc. These were relatively small subfactions that were fully expanded into new armies. So if Kurnothi is indeed incoming I can't imagine it would be anything other than a brand new independent faction. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Hahaha, Yeah I played fantasy in my teen years. I remember desperately waiting for an update for books and it taking forever. Also Chaos Dwarves never got an update 😥