The Rumour Thread

On 6/8/2020 at 10:29 AM, Popisdead said:

They will never un-squat Gitmob or Greenskinz and they can't copyright french knights from the medieval period.

The Rippas snarlfangs warband is explicitly gitmob. If gw plans to make kurnothi into an army then gitmob is probably in the works too.

• Like 4

On 5/31/2020 at 6:58 AM, 123lac said:

I really hope they never do an AoS equivalent of Psychic Awakening. It's absurd how many campaign books there are for 40k now and from what I've seen the only good ones were the two for Vigilus. 

I mean how many books do people have to take with them to play 40k now? Completely insane to have army rules coming from so many different books, all of which cost money. Should just be core rules + army book, nothing else. 

I couldn’t disagree more. The core problem is competitive organized tournament players, who make up the majority of the vocal internet active community but only make up a small portion of the customer base and fraction of all games played. For the rest of us, the books are optional and make the game more fun and the background and flavor of each army more rich. The narrative campaign books were always intended to be extra and not essential. The only thing stopping someone from playing from a single codex or battletome is themselves. Blame tournament players for wanting to use the unbalanced narrative rules to gain the min/max advantage and the organizers for agreeing to it to keep attendance up. 

I hope there is another Wrath of the Everchosen style campaign book coming soon. How about another Necroquake style box of spells for everyone and a campaign book and rules for everyone. Those are great, keep them coming. . 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Verminlord said:

The Rippas snarlfangs warband is explicitly gitmob. If gw plans to make kurnothi into an army then gitmob is probably in the works too.

Are they?  Ooohh neato.  So,.. my perspective is Kurnothi seem like they are half animal.  And Wanderers moved to the city (queue GnR).  Gitmob looks like wolf rider goblins.  I'm going to guess we won't see infantry goblin (hordes) but I could be wrong.  I mean,.. I miss Greenskinz and wish they were still a thing.  But with the rumours of 40k moving away from Hordes and AoS possibly following (man I hope not after painting 70 Dryads) I don't see an infantry goblin based horde (well a second) being revamped.

1 hour ago, Ggom said:

I actually have only been in Heresy for the last 3 years - what did lightning claws used to look like?

Claws  instead of PFs.

32 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

I couldn’t disagree more. The core problem is competitive organized tournament players, who make up the majority of the vocal internet active community but only make up a small portion of the customer base and fraction of all games played. For the rest of us, the books are optional and make the game more fun and the background and flavor of each army more rich. The narrative campaign books were always intended to be extra and not essential. The only thing stopping someone from playing from a single codex or battletome is themselves. Blame tournament players for wanting to use the unbalanced narrative rules to gain the min/max advantage and the organizers for agreeing to it to keep attendance up. 

I hope there is another Wrath of the Everchosen style campaign book coming soon. How about another Necroquake style box of spells for everyone and a campaign book and rules for everyone. Those are great, keep them coming. . 

I'd bloody love a new Campaign book, I need the story advanced so I can soak up the lore!!

3 minutes ago, xking said:

I agree,  I want more narrative campaign books.  AoS has gotten very little plot progression,  Say what you will about the realmgate wars books, but least we had more story.

We need another WOE, we need an Order VS Destruction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sactownbri said:

Here's the thing though, if the Drowned Men catch my eye and they inspire me to start up a new nurgle army then I need to buy a $60 book for a half page blurb of rules on top of all the usual introductory costs to the army. I also need to carry that book around with me for every game. If they release a new supplement for nurgle that gives more lore and abilities for the daemons, and hey I've always wanted to include a few more daemons in my list, then boom I've got another $60 book to buy and lug around. Another book that explains how clan pestilens works with nurgle armies and expands on that alliance? You know where this is going.  Having to buy multiple books just so I can make the army I want is an unnecessary tax on the game that really doesn't need to exist. Keep the rules for the army in the army book and leave it at that.

Also, this isn't just some dastardly scheme of the powergamer. GW has constructed the 3 ways to play specifically, if these were intended to be purely Narrative rules then they would be listed as such. I'd actually be extremely happy to see these books as purely Narrative/Open Play. They'd make so much more sense in that regard and it wouldn't muddy up Matched Play at all. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, xking said:

I agree,  I want more narrative campaign books.  AoS has gotten very little plot progression,  Say what you will about the realmgate wars books, but least we had more story.

We had Malign Sorcery which was pretty cool. But then we got Forbidden power which might as well be called the "Soulcream Bridge" expansion. GW seems to confuse "additional content" with "hey lets just sell MOAR ENDLESS SPELLSSS!!11"

I really like what the Psychic Awakening books bring to the table. They function as a kind of mini codex update for some of the more neglected factions. But I think they are getting out of hand. Do we really need two more expansions right around when 9th edition hits?

Imagine trying to teach a new player to play something like Black Templars right now. "See ok you need the Space Marine Codex, and this random book called Faith and Fury, but you also need the most recent Chapter Approved as well as this older book called Vigilus. Oh and you may want the Imperial fist supplement as well" 

Meanwhile many AOS players don't even bother buying their codex anymore. (I know I don't) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Those of you who are complaining about having to carry around a ton of books wherever you go: there are two solutions to your problem.

1. Buy digital copies of the books - a great solution, but I understand many (myself included) prefer to have a physical copy.

2. Photocopy the rules pages that are relevant to your army and put them in a binder. Now you only have one thin binder to carry around. Alternately, take photographs of each page and make your own PDF to bring on your tablet. As long as you do not share or distribute copies this should solidly fall under fair use.

Personally, I think number two is an excellent solution. I don't want to bring even one hardbound book to my games. I'd much prefer a binder with only the rules that I am actually using in that game. In a tournament setting I'd consider bringing two binders, one for my opponent to borrow during the game so that he or she can look things up him/herself as needed.

Overall, my thoughts on this topic is that it's a balance between having to buy several books to keep up to date or not having your army updated except for maybe once every few years if you are lucky.

I fall very squarely on the side of preferring to buy more books and get more frequent updates. When I quit WHFB it was because I was sick of waiting whole editions for my Wood Elves to get an update. Playing 7th edition with a 6th edition book was fine as the rules mostly still worked, but 8th edition invalidated my playstyle and I was left with an army that was essentially unworkable. I would have stayed in the game if there was a Psychic Awakening style book that brought the army up to speed.

Buying a book every year (or even every 6 months) is absolutely fine by me if it means that I get to keep getting mileage out of the hundreds of dollars of models and hours painting and modeling.

To this day I have a really, really hard time getting hobby projects off the ground and at least part of that is a direct result of having my army invalidated in the past.

• Like 4

On 6/8/2020 at 5:29 PM, Popisdead said:

They will never un-squat Gitmob or Greenskinz and they can't copyright french knights from the medieval period.

Gitmobs do exist now, with Snarlfangs, and the Old World has a map with Bretonnia on it. Probably also greenskins.

But then, there are three Squats back in the game already (one in 40k, one in Necromunda, aside from the Kharadron), so the term "Squatting" doesn't mean as much anymore.

Edited by zilberfrid

10 hours ago, Landohammer said:

We had Malign Sorcery which was pretty cool. But then we got Forbidden power which might as well be called the "Soulcream Bridge" expansion. GW seems to confuse "additional content" with "hey lets just sell MOAR ENDLESS SPELLSSS!!11"

I really like what the Psychic Awakening books bring to the table. They function as a kind of mini codex update for some of the more neglected factions. But I think they are getting out of hand. Do we really need two more expansions right around when 9th edition hits?

Imagine trying to teach a new player to play something like Black Templars right now. "See ok you need the Space Marine Codex, and this random book called Faith and Fury, but you also need the most recent Chapter Approved as well as this older book called Vigilus. Oh and you may want the Imperial fist supplement as well" 

Meanwhile many AOS players don't even bother buying their codex anymore. (I know I don't) 

Well, admittedly i'm not a tournament gamer, but I wouldn't be trying to give a new player all their options at once. For AoS I wouldn't even recommend the battle tome to someone who is just starting out. I'd point them to the free rules, and basic stuff they need to gef playing and paint some models. I'd tell then there is an army book for later if they get on with the game, and that it has various supplements and expansions which they might enjoy in time. However a starting player isn't going to be playing competitively in their first few games even if you do pull out every book and show them hope to optimise their armylist. That can come later, once they've learned the basic game and want to take things to the next level.

I get that people don't want to keep getting more books, but the thing to remember is that GW have a vested interest in selling you books. They aren't going to just not do it because the game is in a good place and they 've finished the codex cycle. If they weren't releasing optional campaign books then they'd have just started replacing army books that much sooner. For me invalidateing the existing rules for the sake of it is more frustrating than supplementing them!

Edited by EccentricCircle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EccentricCircle said:

I get that people don't want to keep getting more books, but the thing to remember is that GW have a vested interest in selling you books. They aren't going to just not do it because the game is in a good place and they 've finished the codex cycle. If they weren't releasing optional campaign books then they'd have just started replacing army books that much sooner. For me invalidateing the existing rules for the sake of it is more frustrating than supplementing them!

Agree. I'm also for more books. The only reason I don't want an updated Skaven BT next year is because I haven't played a game since buying it (curse you plague-pestilence!). 

And GW actually see the problem - in 9th ed if you buy a physical 40k book you will get rules in the app for free. So you can still have beautiful book with lore and amazing pictures in home but go to tournament only with your phone. It's a win-win.

27 minutes ago, michu said:

Agree. I'm also for more books. The only reason I don't want an updated Skaven BT next year is because I haven't played a game since buying it (curse you plague-pestilence!). 

And GW actually see the problem - in 9th ed if you buy a physical 40k book you will get rules in the app for free. So you can still have beautiful book with lore and amazing pictures in home but go to tournament only with your phone. It's a win-win.

They could do with lengthening the gap between editions though. And if they do that by adding more campaign books that's fine by me since I can then definitely pick and choose which ones I want. I already have a tendency to "alternate" editions, because I simply don't get in enough games for it to matter too much. I have the rulebooks for 4th ed, 6th ed, 8th ed, and AoS 2e (admittedly I got the 4e books second hand with a load of old models so it was just a coincidence that they fit into the pattern!) Whether it will be worth buying in to 3e AoS, or 9e 40K for that matter, will be a careful balance between shelf space and gaming time I think. (As I'm more interested in the lore than the game anyway, I don't really get rid of out of date books in order to make room for new ones, they all just become part of my gaming library.)

On 6/9/2020 at 10:49 PM, swarmofseals said:

Those of you who are complaining about having to carry around a ton of books wherever you go: there are two solutions to your problem.

1. Buy digital copies of the books - a great solution, but I understand many (myself included) prefer to have a physical copy.

2. Photocopy the rules pages that are relevant to your army and put them in a binder. Now you only have one thin binder to carry around. Alternately, take photographs of each page and make your own PDF to bring on your tablet. As long as you do not share or distribute copies this should solidly fall under fair use.

AoS remainders is also a useful tool especially for remembering when to use certain rules.

I agree, I wish certain armies would be expanded with a PA type of book, some can only be savaged with a new Battletome but many of the first AoS 2.0 or 1.9 or how you want to call them can be put in par with the others with small booklets. Even better if you get the digital edition for free with the future books.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:00 PM, EccentricCircle said:

I couldn't agree more. I actually long ago gave up on the idea of trying to get new things on release. I'll occasionally break that resolution when something is a limited edition, but for general releases, there is genuinely no reason to rush out and get things on release. We often worry about things being squatted or having kits discontinued, or rules changes that will render them less good. But the brand new stuff is least at risk of any of that. They will most likely stock Lumineth for a decade or more, and it will take a while for errata to come through and the rules to settle down anyway. In my opinion its much better to wait for Battleforces and Start Collecting sets a year or so down the line, than to rush out on day one and try to buy a massive new army just because its new.

It generally takes me a while to paint up a new army anyway, so I kind of figure, if I wouldn't have finished it immediately, then why do I need to buy it immediately.

Let the hype pass over you, and around you. Once its gone, you can make a more reasoned and informed decision about whether you want the new shinyness. Its entirely possible you will still want it, but ultimately nothing is spoiling.

Overall I'm far more likely to impulse buy stuff thats going out of stock, or which I'm not sure I'll be able to get again. That's where they get me.

Oh, the hype, the hype... Holy ****** that gets me. Like when the new Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting box came out. To me, it seemed too good so I figured it was to be a limited release. Thankfully I didn't have the money to spend and looking at my collection now I'm glad I didn't buy it (unpainted mortal Khorne army glaring at me from my cabinet)

But sometimes I think it's hard to tell if an item will be limited or not. Like the Excelsior Warpreist which now is just gone. Or box-sets for that matter. I'm glad i bought Silver Tower and Hammerhal as well as the Warcry box.

Speaking of limited items, I have a tendency to buy Warscroll cards for armies that I might play some day. I think it's silly how limited those are.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Slaktor said:

Oh, the hype, the hype... Holy ****** that gets me. Like when the new Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting box came out. To me, it seemed too good so I figured it was to be a limited release. Thankfully I didn't have the money to spend and looking at my collection now I'm glad I didn't buy it (unpainted mortal Khorne army glaring at me from my cabinet)

But sometimes I think it's hard to tell if an item will be limited or not. Like the Excelsior Warpreist which now is just gone. Or box-sets for that matter. I'm glad i bought Silver Tower and Hammerhal as well as the Warcry box.

Speaking of limited items, I have a tendency to buy Warscroll cards for armies that I might play some day. I think it's silly how limited those are.

Yeah, they could do with better communication on some of those. I couldn't afford the warhammer quest boxes, or warcry when they were out. I've since collected most of the warcry stuff in a more piecemeal fashion, but I feel like there were a few bits of terrain in that box that haven't come out again? Its been more expensive in the long run for sure, and I still haven't gotten around to getting Iron Golems or the new furies, but what can you do? I may have spent more money in the long run, but at least I didn't have to find it all at once.

What tends to get me are the made to order runs. I love collecting older models, as they are frequently the era of warhammer which got me hooked, but which I couldn't get at the time. I have some beastmen heroes from the MtO, which were what you described with warscroll cards. I know I want to collect some beastmen at some point, so I figured I'd better get the made to order ones while I had the chance, rather than regret it later.

At least with new stuff like the lumineth, its clear that even if the starter set is limited, the range itself will always* be available.

*For ten to twenty years anyway...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

That it was down for 2 days and nobody seemed to notice is a bit telling of the state of AoS at the moment.

Actually all the regulars are used to it - the sites seems to do it around once a month. Hence why all the regulars don't start posting panic threads in other forums. 

• Like 5

On 6/9/2020 at 4:09 PM, Landohammer said:

It would be weird if AoS players were buying a codex for their army. I don't believe I've ever seen a single AoS army that even has a codex.

Yeah, I'm that guy. 😉

• Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 6/9/2020 at 4:49 PM, swarmofseals said:

As long as you do not share or distribute copies this should solidly fall under fair use.

Nope. Still theft.

Unless you mean doing this with books you have purchased, in which case, game on!

(Also, it's weird to me that Reminders is allowed to exist. I like it. I use it. It just raises my eyebrow.)

(Also, also. Is be happy to combine posts if there was a tutorial on how to do it. Inserting HTML quote tags does not work, oddly.)

Edited by Sleboda

4 hours ago, Slaktor said:

I have a tendency to buy Warscroll cards for armies that I might play some day. I think it's silly how limited those are.

Agreed. I know they are not technically essential if you have your book, but boy howdy are they ever useful!

Lumineth will be the first army whose cards I will not buy. I'll get the book, but almost certainly none of the models or other Lumineth items. This is only because I'm 100% sure I'll never play that army, even as allies.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

It would be weird if AoS players were buying a codex for their army. I don't believe I've ever seen a single AoS army that even has a codex.

Yeah, I'm that guy. 😉

I see your pedantry, and raise you even more!

While GW only uses "Codex" to refer to their 40K books, the actual meaning of the term is much broader. A Codex is a book which is written on lots of sheets of paper (or parchment etc.) bound into a cover along one edge. These days we use that format for most printed books, so pretty much just call them "books".

However, technically, a "book" is what is written in the codex and could be just as easily written on scrolls, clay or stone tablets, or the format more familiar to wargamers, a series of loose cards! In the modern day we still kind of use scrolls for digital files, but even most e-readers are designed to present them as though they were codices. 

So while battletomes are not Codexes in the GW sense, they are most certainly Codices in the original sense of the word.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9