Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Lets all just agree that the only objective view on the forums worth worrying about is that of the moderators ;)

 

Time to move on - some like them some hate them - we've got MONTHS before any of us will hold them in our hands. So lets not spend that time tearing into each other. Save your finger-warrior energy for fighting the true fight - against mould lines and unpainted grey - so that when the factories open your "pile of shame" is a little less shameful 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 9:21 AM, Matrindur said:

ec6c7698.jpg

Hammer elves?! This can only mean one thing: spear/sword dwarves otw

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, the only thing wrong with these elves is the elf head

99A92A1D-DD12-4A81-8C2F-8DAEBFE8264C.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

Hammer elves?! This can only mean one thing: spear/sword dwarves otw

Give me a true beer drinking, fully clothed, axe wielding and grudge bearing mountain dwarf any day in a new and supported battle tome and I would be fine with that. Look of Lord of the Rings Iron Hills Dwarves. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe "Mega-kapp'n" for a Grotbag-scuttler warband? ;)

He wears an especially big hat for that mega touch while sailing on his small flying boat with a crew sporting spikey boots from the rumor engines.

Just now, Verminlord said:

Hammer elves?! This can only mean one thing: spear/sword dwarves otw

Ummm, you might want to have another look at Fyreslayers and Kharadron. xD

732?cb=20161204222137

battletome-kharadron-overlords-english.j

Between the two factions there's only one dedicated unit of axe users in the Fyreslayers (2 if you count Shadespire). Otherwise it's a lot of polearms and weapons that go against the old dwarf tropes.

Add that in to AoS lore having realm of life and beast Duardin making their homes in giant trees and you can see AoS was overturning fantasy conventions long before Lumineth ruffled some traditionalist feathers.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Maybe "Mega-kapp'n" for a Grotbag-scuttler warband? ;)

He wears an especially big hat for that mega touch while sailing on his small flying boat with a crew sporting spikey boots from the rumor engines.

Ummm, you might want to have another look at Fyreslayers and Kharadron. xD

732?cb=20161204222137

battletome-kharadron-overlords-english.j

Between the two factions there's only one dedicated unit of axe users in the Fyreslayers (2 if you count Shadespire). Otherwise it's a lot of polearms and weapons that go against the old dwarf tropes.

Add that in to AoS lore having realm of life and beast Duardin making their homes in giant trees and you can see AoS was overturning fantasy conventions long before Lumineth ruffled some traditionalist feathers.

This is what I love about AoS. Give me something new, something other games don't have. If I want high elves or normal dwarves, I'll play warhammer (and I love warhammer armies, I'm building a 4th edition dark elf army).

Give me eel riding soul stealers, flying dwarf investment bankers and hammer wielding, bull worshiping aelves who seek validation from a living mountain any day!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The horned helmets are so not an issue. Snip them off, file the helmets to a point,, and turn the cow heads into back banners with some extra spear poles. You get the same visual effect without the goofy. Everybody happy now?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something something it's the principle of the thing something something easier to complain than actually buy them. 😛

I can't wait to see their art, tall helms marching into battle with the Hyshian sunlight gleaming of their hammers and horns while the tassels wave in the winds as they smash apart their foes with their magically enhanced strength. Gonna be epic.

Just now, Ogregut said:

Give me eel riding soul stealers, flying dwarf investment bankers and hammer wielding, bull worshiping aelves who seek validation from a living mountain any day!

Hear hear!

Also I forgot to note the merchant Orruks in the Kharadron Shyish port working together for business and protection. Good luck finding that in any other setting. :D

3N7G7Rf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of pictures, they released this here on Facebook. In case some people haven't seen it. They were not ****** around when they called the two-handed hammer a "World Hammer". 

90817186_1295006360696154_7475212977495343104_o.jpg

  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Something something it's the principle of the thing something something easier to complain than actually buy them. 😛

I can't wait to see their art, tall helms marching into battle with the Hyshian sunlight gleaming of their hammers and horns while the tassels wave in the winds as they smash apart their foes with their magically enhanced strength. Gonna be epic.

Hear hear!

Also I forgot to note the merchant Orruks in the Kharadron Shyish port working together for business and protection. Good luck finding that in any other setting. :D

3N7G7Rf_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

 

You mean D&D, Chronopia, Realms of Terinoth to just name a few. 🙂 AoS is not very special in that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think the new Aelves aren't that bad. They give me a strong wipe of eastern movies like Princess Mononoke, for example. The clear influences of Chinese and Tibetan folklore are also very nice.

The helmets are typical for GW design, as they tend to dial everything up to eleven, to make it “fantastic”. Not a bad thing, as it was since ever.

All in all I need them to see in personal, so I can better decide if I like them or not. It’s the same approach here as with the Bonereapers (which I do not like at all except for some individual Minis).

Edited by Melbar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Melbar said:

I think the new Aelves aren't that bad. They give me a strong wipe of eastern movies like Princess Mononoke, for example. The clear influences of Chinese and Tibetan folklore are also very nice.

The helmets are typical for GW design, as they tend to dial everything up to eleven, to make it “fantastic”. Not a bad thing, as it was since ever.

All in all I need them to see in personal, so I can better decide if I like them or not. It’s the same approach here as with the Bonereapers (which I do not like at all except for some individual Minis).

I'll have to see if the other elements are going to make sense, but if this is the design language going forward, Lumineth are not going to be of any interest to me.

We're way past 11, and I am more of a 4-6 kind of guy.

I do like the basic infantry, cavalry and wizard (the hat seems to rest on his shoulders, and he's not a fighter), don't mind Teclis or the empty armour, but liked nothing of this release.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

To me, the only thing wrong with these elves is the elf head

99A92A1D-DD12-4A81-8C2F-8DAEBFE8264C.jpeg

The sad thing is, I would much rather field a unit converted to even look like this than field the original “helmets”. 100% no joke.

Of course, neither would be the promised pointy aelf or my style but... just saying.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I'll have to see if the other elements are going to make sense, but if this is the design language going forward, Lumineth are not going to be of any interest to me.

We're way past 11, and I am more of a 4-6 kind of guy.

I do like the basic infantry, cavalry and wizard (the hat seems to rest on his shoulders, and he's not a fighter), don't mind Teclis or the empty armour, but liked nothing of this release.

Normaly I’m also more grounded and prefer the style of The Lord of the Rings over any other setting. But I also like a comical/heavy metal style of fantasy miniatures. Warhammer was a good mix of this until 6th edition. For AoS I think, that it’s a very comical/heavy metal style setting like D&D/Magic the Gathering and I like many of the Miniatures for what they are – Miniatures. The setting itself is nothing special or new, but I can enjoy it without any problem. It’s not Warhammer nor LotR, it’s more like Planescape or the Marvel Universe and a good enjoyment for me if I need something to calm down.

So, long term short: If you do not enjoy the miniatures skip them. I do not like the Bolter-Crossbows/Boltthrower of the Stormcasts or the Flails/Canon/Blood Throne of the Khorne troops and therefore I will never use or collect them. Problem solved for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I‘ve been thinking about why these aelves bother me so much. So I‘ll share my opinion one last time and then let the topic rest:

GW teases us with story bits of a new High Elf faction. Then we get to see 3 Units that actually look like really well re-imagined High Aelves (Spearmen, Riders, Eltharion).

And then we get more Lore about how the Lumineth tried to remake the culture of Ulthuan.

The next release is suddenly rather weird and very Arabic (Teclis).

Then the whole faction makes a 180 degree turn and suddenly is tibethan and Chinese.

And then they build giant Cow spirits!?

what was that part about Ulthuan? Why are these even called aelves!? Why were we teased with new high aelves just to be shown the middle finger with something that‘s totally not even their aesthetic anymore? Imo that was a pretty mean deception towards us as customers.

I‘d like the cow spirit in pretty much any other army, it‘s a good model. If they‘d just said: Well, here‘s a new faction and they‘re not even aelves but cow people so we can expand our business more towards the Asian market. That‘d be fine. But don‘t tease your customers with new somewhat high aelves just to show them the middle finger and Kick them out of the door with the final message „High Aelves are dead, fool, what were you thinking?“

 

that‘s my last word on this

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

 

that‘s my last word on this

Thank teclis!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Melbar said:

Normaly I’m also more grounded and prefer the style of The Lord of the Rings over any other setting. But I also like a comical/heavy metal style of fantasy miniatures. Warhammer was a good mix of this until 6th edition. For AoS I think, that it’s a very comical/heavy metal style setting like D&D/Magic the Gathering and I like many of the Miniatures for what they are – Miniatures. The setting itself is nothing special or new, but I can enjoy it without any problem. It’s not Warhammer nor LotR, it’s more like Planescape or the Marvel Universe and a good enjoyment for me if I need something to calm down.

So, long term short: If you do not enjoy the miniatures skip them. I do not like the Bolter-Crossbows/Boltthrower of the Stormcasts or the Flails/Canon/Blood Throne of the Khorne troops and therefore I will never use or collect them. Problem solved for me.

I think Cities and Kharadron will do for me. For all others, Underworlds is enough to get a taste.

Maybe the Old World will be my taste, but that's no guarantee after seeing the ice weapons.

Fully agree about the Stormcast 40k equipment and overdone Khorne stuff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think AoS has a lot of amazing lore and system is pretty :

- Flesh-eater Courts 

- Idoneth Deepkin 

- Daughters of Khaine 

to name a few so there is a lot of work put into those faction and they are truly unique - for example Court of the Blind King is amazing world-building novel. 

What I think Age of Sigmar lacks at this moment is to establish some unique (or even bring back some old heroes) in that new setting. For example I would love more about Volturnos. Gods are cool as they just work as faction leaders more then actual gods, but I want some other characters to be fleshed out - underworld helps as those warbands stories are more personal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

I think Cities and Kharadron will do for me. For all others, Underworlds is enough to get a taste.

Maybe the Old World will be my taste, but that's no guarantee after seeing the ice weapons.

Fully agree about the Stormcast 40k equipment and overdone Khorne stuff.

I think Old World will more suit your taste and as long as you can enjoy the sky dwarves and the Citiy Troops (Cities of Sigmar are very “Old World”) all is fine.  😃

Edited by Melbar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zanzou said:

The sad thing is, I would much rather field a unit converted to even look like this than field the original “helmets”. 100% no joke.

Of course, neither would be the promised pointy aelf or my style but... just saying.

I'm sad too, because  if this elfs were a little bit shorter and  with long beards, they would be a lot more badass. But you know...maybe that's not what they wanted to do with them...

55 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

GW teases us with story bits of a new High Elf faction. Then we get to see 3 Units that actually look like really well re-imagined High Aelves (Spearmen, Riders, Eltharion).

And then we get more Lore about how the Lumineth tried to remake the culture of Ulthuan.

I think that's the main problem. This wasn't High Elfs "remastered edition" but AoS "High Elfs". The marketing team needs to be a bit more aware of what words they are gonna use.

Edited by Beliman
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this new army is not  ugly but, somewhere, I'm happy to be disappointed: my wallet will at last be able to breath. Maybe that , for me, no army will mean new toy: I'm thinking about the new resin 3D printers. A full set up (printer+UV+cleaning+resin....) is around 450€ which is a GW army budget... I have all the confinement time to think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

I think AoS has a lot of amazing lore and system is pretty :

- Flesh-eater Courts 

- Idoneth Deepkin 

- Daughters of Khaine 

to name a few so there is a lot of work put into those faction and they are truly unique - for example Court of the Blind King is amazing world-building novel. 

What I think Age of Sigmar lacks at this moment is to establish some unique (or even bring back some old heroes) in that new setting. For example I would love more about Volturnos. Gods are cool as they just work as faction leaders more then actual gods, but I want some other characters to be fleshed out - underworld helps as those warbands stories are more personal. 

I think one of the coolest parts about entering a new universe at pretty much the ground level is seeing these characters and factions develop.  

Ill admit its slow but over the last couple years we have gotten a lot of good lore with the Soul Wars and following campaign books.  I cant wait till the expand and add more characters.  

  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Well, this new army is not  ugly but, somewhere, I'm happy to be disappointed: my wallet will at last be able to breath. Maybe that , for me, no army will mean new toy: I'm thinking about the new resin 3D printers. A full set up (printer+UV+cleaning+resin....) is around 450€ which is a GW army budget... I have all the confinement time to think about it.

Do ventilate really good now you're cooped up at home.

1 hour ago, Melbar said:

I think Old World will more suit your taste and as long as you can enjoy the sky dwarves and the Citiy Troops (Cities of Sigmar are very “Old World”) all is fine.  😃

I'm not sure. The first thing we saw already has magic nonsensical weapons.

Sure, the design of the women is quite good, but the weapons are at AoS level.

I'm also unsure about the longevity of Cities. It has no Warcry, no Underworlds, no new sets, and hardly any mention.

We'll have to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Speaking of pictures, they released this here on Facebook. In case some people haven't seen it. They were not ****** around when they called the two-handed hammer a "World Hammer". 

90817186_1295006360696154_7475212977495343104_o.jpg

Cowper of Secrets (Keeper of Moocrets?) aside, I actually really like the Aelfish stuff I have to say.

I identified the move away from classical Greek influence to a War of 3 Kingdoms/East Asian aesthetic at the original reveal as obviously being a big influence on the Lumineth, and I'm pleased they went all out with that side of things. As with the Namarti I'm all for GW evolving through established Tolkienesque fantasy archetypes and going for something completely different to what came before. I still find the general lore in AOS to be very imprecise and abstract but the visual narrative in the races themselves and the stories that they tell through how they look is superb.

It's also enjoyable to see a robust and extensive interpretation of Enlightenment and progress which isnt tied to a western Classical Antiquity or Renaissance influence in a Warhammer race. Real world Monocultural influence in most " Order" factions was definitely a weakness of the Old World and I'm glad they arent afraid to challenge that with AOS.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...