Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nos said:

As I said in my earlier post- Cow people or Slaanesh.

Both pretty removed from Aelves. Or indeed the powerful, muscular redoubtable cattle of the mountains that supposedly are the aspect that the Aelves are imprinting here. A more noble and stoic form of Great Beast could totally work.

But not another athletic statuesque human form with cow head.

I'm thinking that the Sons of Behemat are going to be far more stocky than the Aleguzzlar and perhaps went with a different aesthetic as to not clash. Clutching at strings I know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Athrawes said:

This!

 

Also don’t leave out the kadaii destroyer from chaos dwarves or the bale Taurus. 
 

There is nothing overtly slaaneshii in the choice of a bull or oxen as an animal spirit.

 

@Nos just because you choose to discount the slaaneshi design influences in the new daughters of Khaine doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Morathi wasn’t a snake monster before slaanesh swallowed her, that’s just how she looks after eons of torture inside slaanesh. And slaanesh has more of a serpentine inspiration than a bovine one which has only ever been seen on the keeper of secrets and then, only on one of several head options. 

No that's how she looks because her designer made her that way, white clearly riffing on the existing Gorgon aesthetic established with the new Khainites before AOS even existed. Models come first with GW, always. 

Wheres this Slaaneshi serpentine inspiration then, besides a few snake tails?

There is nothing remotely bull or oxen about the model besides its head. As you correctly bring up yet another chaos association with bovines to somehow disprove that they arent monopolized by chaos (?) , something I had already pointed out, you can nonetheless differentiate a different take on the bull with Chaos dwarves. They having had their design influenced by the tapestries of Assyrian and Bayblonian Empires have quite a different representation of bull forms-stocky, powerful, muscular, stout.

The Lumineth monster is a complete replica of a Slaaneshi cow-form though.  If it was something different , a differnt interpretation of a mythological cow beast, I wouldnt care. But it's not. Its exactly the same. I mean even just put it on 4 legs, you know, like a cow, not another twisted cow human creature (as befits Slaanesh or beastmen). 

But no. Apparently the Lumineth are so in awe of this beast and its character that the only part they're interested in is the head? Yeah, that's compelling .

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People do nothing but b*itch and moan over on dakkadakka.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nos said:

Wheres this Slaaneshi serpentine inspiration then, besides a few snake tails. 

It's mutation of her body, just like the Melusai and Khinari are not supposed to have tails or wings or snake bodies. They are corruptions seated deep in their souls which are made manifest on their bodies. A sign of how deeply Slaanesh has corrupted them. Even the Idoneth bare these mutations and twisted natures after many generations they persist - a lasting impact on their bodies. 

 

As for serpentine being a specific "Slaanesh" theme you can look at Fulgrim, a Primarch from 40K who fell to Slaanesh - he's got the full serpents body, wings and such going on; though he also got extra arms from the deal - eg this random photo from googling (there's loads along the same general designs)

fulgrim1.jpg

 

Slaanesh fiends have had scorpion tails for a long while; meanwhile if I crack open the cursed pages of the Libre Chaotica there's even more including some fantastic at like this 

https://twitter.com/rictus40k/status/1135317106008961024

Click there and you can see some of the art including the awsome snake demon women creature. 

 

Now of course alongside this its clear that they went for a bit of a gorgon and medusa them with the Daughters of Khaine as well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, xking said:

People do nothing but b*itch and moan over on dakkadakka.   

Slow steady breaths - in - and out. 

in and now. 

Now put some music on and forget about the negativity (esp since on Dakka its typically only a small handful who are generally overly negative anyway)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall, the Realm Lords are a interesting mixture of something familiar and something new when it comes to the aelves and their kin. There are not weird like the Deepkin or twisted like the Daughters of Khaine. But more of adaption of a new environment and also AoS direction of making new units.

  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Nos said:

No that's how she looks because her designer made her that way, white clearly riffing on the existing Gorgon aesthetic established with the new Khainites before AOS even existed. Models come first with GW, always. 

Wheres this Slaaneshi serpentine inspiration then, besides a few snake tails. 

You are mixing lore and meta perspectives here. 

The only beast thing that existed before the DoK release was the Bloodwrack Medusa, which could have easily stayed a one-off, but GW wanted to show some kind of chaos corruption, so they decided to expand on the greek theme. 
(Also, b-word on worms is very slaanesh-y). 

Edited by Gecktron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Overread said:

Slow steady breaths - in - and out. 

in and now. 

Now put some music on and forget about the negativity (esp since on Dakka its typically only a small handful who are generally overly negative anyway)

I am fine sir, incessant complaining over nothing is annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

You are mixing lore and meta perspectives here. 

The only beast thing that existed before the DoK release was the Bloodwrack Medusa, which could have easily stayed a one-off, but GW wanted to show some kind of chaos corruption, so they decided to expand on the greek theme. 
(Also, ****** and worms is very slaanesh-y). 

Precisley, they created an interesting fusion of real world cultural inspiration to provide a narrative which allows them to tell a visual story of corruption. I completely get that. I really enjoy the Slaaneshi shorthand in all the Aelf models. Heck I've been painting some Revenants and even they have that sort of angelic/demonic androgynous thing going on, especially without hair (see below). It's one of my favourite bits of new Warhammer lore, even if it's borrowed wholesale from 40k and the Eldar.

Which is why I dont like the Bizzaro Aelf Keeper of Secrets. It's not subtle in the slightest. It feels like a clumsy attempt to communicate the whole thing for people who didnt get it up to this point.

I've said my piece so not interested in arguing for the sake of it with anyone. 

20200301_191945.jpg

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nos said:

No that's how she looks because her designer made her that way, white clearly riffing on the existing Gorgon aesthetic established with the new Khainites before AOS even existed. Models come first with GW, always. 

Wheres this Slaaneshi serpentine inspiration then, besides a few snake tails. 

 

 

So you've never seen a seeker of slaanesh? What about a fiend of slaanesh, or the demonic mount for a slaaneshi lord,  In a lot of old world stories slaanesh daemons take the form of snakes to tempt mortals (with obvious christian overtones, but still slaanesh has used it more than other chaos gods).

How about this old chestnut? The classic slaaneshi champion. 

The lore of slaanesh consuming all aelf souls predates the designs of the new aelf ranges. I simply cannot imagine how you can have such a visceral disconnect and deny that that lore had any influenced on the serpentine theme of dok.

Totally silly.

 

slaaneshchampion (1).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

So you've never seen a seeker of slaanesh? What about a fiend of slaanesh, or the demonic mount for a slaaneshi lord,  In a lot of old world stories slaanesh daemons take the form of snakes to tempt mortals (with obvious christian overtones, but still slaanesh has used it more than other chaos gods).

How about this old chestnut? The classic slaaneshi champion. 

The lore of slaanesh consuming all aelf souls predates the designs of the new aelf ranges. I simply cannot imagine how you can have such a visceral disconnect and deny that that lore had any influenced on the serpentine theme of dok.

Totally silly.

 

slaaneshchampion (1).jpg

Yes I've seen reptile tails, as I said. I've seen them on Seraphon and Dragons and drakes and Cold Ones too. Is Slaanesh in their backstory somewhere? 

I haven't denied that the lore had influence. I just know that from what GW designers have said elsewhere in interviews, including John Blanche who heads up the entire team,  that like most concept artists they begin with real world inspirations around themes then Warhammer-ify them. 

I simply cannot imagine how someone can see lore tidbits as being more central to the visual language of a Warhammer race than the existing cultural influences on which they are manifestly based. But thats opinions eh. You think you're right, I think I'm right. I have the grace not to call you silly though. 

Edited by Nos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny that you keep bringing up the KoS “cow” face.  I always thought it was more “goat” like, to play into the more baphomet style.  Difference in opinion I suppose.

In any case, if the argument is that no one can use cows because one army has cows, then CoS can’t have pheonixes because Tzeentch already called dibs on fire and birds.  Nasgash, Sigmar, and Gorkamorka have to get rid of all their skull iconography because Khorne was here first.  Nurgle and Nagash have to go into a custody hearing over who zombies will visit on weekends.

Sounds a bit silly to me.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nightseer2012 said:

Funny that you keep bringing up the KoS “cow” face.  I always thought it was more “goat” like, to play into the more baphomet style.  Difference in opinion I suppose.

In any case, if the argument is that no one can use cows because one army has cows, then CoS can’t have pheonixes because Tzeentch already called dibs on fire and birds.  Nasgash, Sigmar, and Gorkamorka have to get rid of all their skull iconography because Khorne was here first.  Nurgle and Nagash have to go into a custody hearing over who zombies will visit on weekends.

Sounds a bit silly to me.

If that were my argument fair play, but it's not.

My argument is that after Chaos having had the monopoly on bovines, they should have done something to differentiate between an Order Faction utilising the form. Not make a more kid friendly KOS. Note that I've said nothing about the cow helmet dudes, no issues there.

The Baphomet inspiration is a great point by the way, think you're correct there. But in which case all the more reason to come out with something completely different for a "Light" faction.

Edited by Nos
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teclis tried to bulls*** his way out of The End Times. Glad to learn he hasn’t changed at all.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cow is just the avatar of mountain, the spirit of mountain is not even a living creature but a grand statue possessed by the natural spirits. 
It has no connection with Slannesh except shared elements of the same animal

Other paths such as wind and river will also have their own animal avatar of the natural power, just like the god beast in princess mononoke.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

he Realm Lords are a interesting mixture of something familiar and something new when it comes to the aelves and their kin. There are not weird like the Deepkin or twisted like the Daughters of Khaine.

Deepkins are not weird, they are amazing !

Besides, I wonder what the units of the river clan will look like. And if they are a fighting caste like the Mountain Clan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Cow is just the avatar of mountain, the spirit of mountain is not even a living creature but a grand statue possessed by the natural spirits. 
It has no connection with Slannesh except shared elements of the same animal

Other paths such as wind and river will also have their own animal avatar of the natural power, just like the god beast in princess mononoke.

I cant wait to see the Avatar of the other Spirits of Hysh. Especially River.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Cow is just the avatar of mountain, the spirit of mountain is not even a living creature but a grand statue possessed by the natural spirits. 
It has no connection with Slannesh except shared elements of the same animal

Other paths such as wind and river will also have their own animal avatar of the natural power, just like the god beast in princess mononoke.

Do you know which animals?

And at this is going to be a massive release if this is going to be released all at once.

Edited by xking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chikout said:

Another WizardIMG_20200328_234945.jpg.31de6b3fd599c7211b7b3fc0df00a4ac.jpg

Its Just my eyes or she has a lizardlike animal coming from her back/sitting on her shoulder? It could be the animal for the river to match the runes on her dress 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, xking said:

And at this is going to be a massive release if this is going to be released all at once.

Thus it won’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised by some of the negative reactions of the new Aelves reveals considering previous articles including designer commentaries had emphasized on the classic esthetic of the Lumineth for weeks. I think the expectation was set for something renewed similar to the new units already revealed.  This reveal today has surprised everyone 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- Man I’m not loving the cow. Well not at least for it’s intended purpose as a monster unit for an Aelf army. Remember a few years back when there was rumours of Treeman potentially joining High Elves, simpler times. I can imagine that the success of treemen in Wood Elf/wanderer/Sylvaneth armies brought by the idea that High Elves could have their own version of an anthropomorphic Elemental. I’d have rather a Pile of stone, tall armoured an elegant, much in the way of te cows main build, but withouth the cow/beastmen features.  

-The Hammer Elfs look cool, definitely reminiscent enough of High Elf elite, but enough of a different take to not be a copy paste job. I am however struggling to like this release.  

-Scions of the flame are even better than I imagined they would be, needed me some devotees/Flagellants for my Galrauch. Looking forward to next weeks reveal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, azdimy said:

Not surprised by some of the negative reactions of the new Aelves reveals considering previous articles including designer commentaries had emphasized on the classic esthetic of the Lumineth for weeks. I think the expectation was set for something renewed similar to the new units already revealed.  This reveal today has surprised everyone 

To me the frustration comes from the fact that High Elves were sold and played for years, then removed. 

Months later GW makes a trailer about " Pointy Elves" with pictures of classic models and artwork.  It said we had fish elves, tree elves and snake elves now it was time for Pointy ones.

 

Aaaand we get Cow Elves. You bet i am frustrated in exchanging Lions, Phoenix, Eagles, Dragons and Griffons for cattle and giant horned hats.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

To me the frustration comes from the fact that High Elves were sold and played for years, then removed. 

Months later GW makes a trailer about " Pointy Elves" with pictures of classic models and artwork.  It said we had fish elves, tree elves and snake elves now it was time for Pointy ones.

 

Aaaand we get Cow Elves. You bet i am frustrated in exchanging Lions, Phoenix, Eagles, Dragons and Griffons for cattle and giant horned hats.

Really sad to see that I high elf fan doesn’t like them (although it looks like you are not alone there). 

I like what they did. The Hammers are reminiscent of the White Lions, the helmet faces, if not for the horns could even be those of great cats. 

The have taken a lot of the cultural aspects of the former HE into the Lumineth, the whole concept of singing to wake the mountain spirit to help them fight, is very similar to the Dragons of Celador before. And elves being very close to or almost in symbiosis with their realm is also reminiscent of Ulthuan and Athel Loren. As of course is the whole “great at magic, have a huge fuckup but still think they are the best and come-in as cavalry to sort everything out” thing.

I agree that the helmets are over the top, but HE also were one of the factions with the most ridiculous helmets in WH fantasy. In AOS half the factions have goofy helmets, so they had to do something to stay on top : ). 

I understand that the Pointy Aelves video hinted at even more traditional elves, I always just understood that as them not being half elf/half something, but I also didn’t think Lumineth would get huge bull horned helmets and cow spirits as their defining feature. So that can feel like a let-down.

I still think that the wind or zenith faction will feature more traditional HE monsters like phoenixes (they have so much phoenix symbols on them it would be weird if we don’t get something like that) and some signed helmets. But we might not see them with this release. 

Hopefully they’ll feature units you’ll like in the end. I’ve also waited 5 years for the new HE and can imagine how you feel now. : (

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...