The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Ignatius "Nate" T said:

Wonder how and when they are going to show off whatever it was they had planned to show at Adepticon.

Just release all the Lumineth now... please?

My guess would be that they’re not done editing reveal videos for the preview seminar yet, so those reveals might come up on the website around the time where Adepticon would have been anyway. But if they do a massive reveal article later today I won’t mind :)

2 hours ago, xking said:

Why are the Beast elves not Wanderers? They are far closer in aesthetic with each other.

The real question is, why aren't the Kurnothi a fully-fledged faction by themselves? That's honestly what I'm really hanging out for in AoS.

• Like 3

A reminder that TGA has a painting competition running right now with prize support! You can win a getting started set as a random entree and the winner wins a set of brushes. This is a big thing and we really hope it takes off, but it will only happen if YOU join in. Any level of skill is welcome, come try your luck and get involved and share your painting :)

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Dawnmane said:

My guess would be that they’re not done editing reveal videos for the preview seminar yet, so those reveals might come up on the website around the time where Adepticon would have been anyway. But if they do a massive reveal article later today I won’t mind :)

I'll imagine they will address what will happen later today. Seems Nurgle is waxing at the moment!

2 hours ago, Kadeton said:

The real question is, why aren't the Kurnothi a fully-fledged faction by themselves? That's honestly what I'm really hanging out for in AoS.

I've heavily converted a Kurnothi army at great cost so sod's law dictates basically there will be an official army released as soon as I've painted them 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Kurnothi is more like sylvaneth than wanderer, and I bet they will get their book eventually

Yeah Kurnothi look more like the male court to the female Sylvaneth court, I'm really interested to see them as a full faction - wild elves are very appealing and they could combine well with Sylvaneth was a larger force. Atia mentioned a centaur army after BeastGrave was shown- hoping it was a hint they are coming.  

4 hours ago, xking said:

No, that should not matter at all. Not when tree Spirit elves also live in the cities of Sigmar. 

No, they are allied into the armies of one city, that is raised by their deity as far as I know. So the wanderers, free guilders etc are the guests. From the cities book:

'In recognition of the God-King’s service to her people, Alarielle granted sanctuary to all free peoples within the verdant walls of the Living City and allowed the construction of the Oakenspire at its heart. This immense Stormkeep would become the foremost stronghold of the Ghyran Guard, sworn protectors of the
Jade Kingdoms, who regard the Everqueen with almost the same reverence as they grant their liege- lord Sigmar. The Hallowed Knights also have a minor Stormkeep here and are equally influential in the city’s military decision-making. In addition to these Sigmarite forces, several glades of Sylvaneth maintain wargroves within the city proper. The Oakenbrow in particular are well represented as the most prolific and even-tempered of Alarielle’s children. There is great mutual respect between these noble warriors and the Stormcast Eternals, who
see them as kindred spirits in the struggle against Chaos. Even the Wanderers – those aelves who abandoned Ghyran during the Age of Chaos – have made a home here, though they are confined to the outer quarters of the Living City; old wounds do not easily heal, and despite the Wanderers’ willingness to give their lives for the Everqueen’s cause, her Sylvaneth children will never truly trust those whom they name traitors and exiles.'

The Kurnothi, when they inevitably come I expect will be a standalone army book that can also be played merged with Sylvaneth, and probably pulling in the remaining Wanderer models as well.

The models that we have are very much modeled on Wanderers in terms of armor and weapons, ect, but also have lamenteri like Sylvaneth. I think they are almost certainly intended as the replacement for Wanderers to turn Sylvaneth into more of a full-fledged Wood Aelf army and I would be happy with that.

Also worth mentioning, there was a short story released around the time Beastgrave came out:

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/the-warden-in-the-mountain-2019.html

In that story, (Which has a Kurnothi on the cover) there are Wanderers (Wildwod Rangers) some of which have horns and hooves ect, which is treated as a normal thing and sort of a sign of favor.

Mostly though, I just expect Cities of Sigmar to be treated similar to Legions of Nagash, because I don't think any of the subfactions in that book outside of maybe Freeguild have any real future unless they get pulled out into new armies. There's no way we'll get Wanderers or Dispossessed 2.0 as part of Cities, but some of the surviving models getting pulled into new armies ala Nighthaunt or Bone Reapers, sure.

Lumineth will be an interesting litmus test for the theory, since we don't yet know if they will include any of the few surviving High Elf models.

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Lumineth will be an interesting litmus test for the theory, since we don't yet know if they will include any of the few surviving High Elf models.

I honestly would be surprised if we would see any old High Elf models in there. Its more likely to be their entire own thing. 

It is possible that there is a subfaction that allows 1/4th to be specific high elf subfactions, but that is a bit of a stretch. 

1 hour ago, madmac said:

The Kurnothi, when they inevitably come I expect will be a standalone army book that can also be played merged with Sylvaneth, and probably pulling in the remaining Wanderer models as well.

The models that we have are very much modeled on Wanderers in terms of armor and weapons, ect, but also have lamenteri like Sylvaneth. I think they are almost certainly intended as the replacement for Wanderers to turn Sylvaneth into more of a full-fledged Wood Aelf army and I would be happy with that.

Also worth mentioning, there was a short story released around the time Beastgrave came out:

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/warhammer-age-of-sigmar/the-warden-in-the-mountain-2019.html

In that story, (Which has a Kurnothi on the cover) there are Wanderers (Wildwod Rangers) some of which have horns and hooves ect, which is treated as a normal thing and sort of a sign of favor.

Mostly though, I just expect Cities of Sigmar to be treated similar to Legions of Nagash, because I don't think any of the subfactions in that book outside of maybe Freeguild have any real future unless they get pulled out into new armies. There's no way we'll get Wanderers or Dispossessed 2.0 as part of Cities, but some of the surviving models getting pulled into new armies ala Nighthaunt or Bone Reapers, sure.

Zero chance. They look nothing like each other at this point. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

I honestly would be surprised if we would see any old High Elf models in there. Its more likely to be their entire own thing. 

It is possible that there is a subfaction that allows 1/4th to be specific high elf subfactions, but that is a bit of a stretch. 

I'm not feeling it's super likely either, but I've noticed that Lumineth do still have a bit of a Phoenix thing going on, and also honestly if they don't include Phoenix Temple or whatever that model branch is just dead in the long run, we 100% aren't getting a new Frostheart Phoenix model someday just to use in cities. 

Nighthaunt and Bone Reapers (And Daughters of Khaine) were brand new ranges that poached some existing models, so the precedent does exist.  Alternately there could be a new generic Phoenix (for example) model in Lumineth and the older models can be used as counts-as, that's already pretty much the case with the Spearmen/Archers/Cav that we've seen so far, nothing stopping a High Elf player from using squatted High Elf models as those. It's trickier with models that are still in production and have rules, though.

It comes down to the larger question of just how much Cities is going to continue on as it's own thing, vs being something more like Legions of Nagash. I'm hoping Lumineth will shed some light on that one way or another, but even then they could be a special snowflake that tells us nothing about the future prospects of things like Wanderers, Dispossessed or Darkling Covens. No one but GW really knows what the next few years will bring.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nos said:

Zero chance. They look nothing like each other at this point. 

Ehhhhhhh....Lumineth are definitely redefining the High Elf helmet aesthetic, but they aren't all that different at the root. Less bits and bobs blowing in the breeze on the old High Elf models, no helmet plumes, basic armor design is actually very similar, still a combination of Robes, Plate Cuirass, Gauntlets and helmet (t shaped face slit) reinforced with strips of scale mail, no gorgets, still willowy classic elves with long flowing locks, lots of billowing capes, ect.

As I said I don't rate it likely, but I wouldn't say impossible either.

Edited by madmac

What would be more interesting is seeing how long it takes them to redesign the current Phoenix Guard.  It seems that they've put a descent effort into really entwining the Phoenix Temples into the background, so I feel they're here to stay, if only as a bridge between the humans and aelves.   The models themselves, however, still bear a very Old World vibe.  If they include both the Guard and the Phoenix riders in the Lumineth book, that will probably ensure their longevity, as well as garuantee new models with a more AOS spin on them at some point.   And to be fair, linking elves with phoenixes is GW's most unique thing they ever did with the race in the Old World setting, so it's definitely something worth preserving.

55 minutes ago, Koradrel of Chrace said:

What would be more interesting is seeing how long it takes them to redesign the current Phoenix Guard.  It seems that they've put a descent effort into really entwining the Phoenix Temples into the background, so I feel they're here to stay, if only as a bridge between the humans and aelves.   The models themselves, however, still bear a very Old World vibe.  If they include both the Guard and the Phoenix riders in the Lumineth book, that will probably ensure their longevity, as well as garuantee new models with a more AOS spin on them at some point.   And to be fair, linking elves with phoenixes is GW's most unique thing they ever did with the race in the Old World setting, so it's definitely something worth preserving.

They just released the Seraphon book without updating any of those models. Granted they seem "AoS-y" already being dinosaurs and lizards but they didn't change them even with the outdated models they are already running. So personally any update to the pheonix guard seems like a ways off to me.