The Rumour Thread

5 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Don´t forget how many people were upset about the design of the motrek guards and the fact that the models had noses. With the launch suddendly noone complained anymore.

Most likely because by launch the people who weren’t feeling it just passed on it and moved on.

• Like 3

I wanted High Elves sooo much and i am disapointed.  The whole "Pointy Elves" marketing led me to belive on tall winged helmets of old and man...

The horns look ridiculous, the plumes on the infantry make no sense (hope they never fight with the wind behind then, lancers are gona eat those plumes) and archer helmets are meh.

In the end of the day, the only units (so far) i actually loved 100% were the cavalry and Eltarion. The wizard is awesome until you look at the stupid horns.

Unless there are alternative heads or another wave of better looking models, i am out. Not really in the mood to headswap half and army.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zanzou said:

Most likely because by launch the people who weren’t feeling it just passed on it and moved on.

I think so,too. The same procedure will repeat with Lumineth :) Also GW models look quite bad on their pictures, most of the time real models look way better than box-art.

• Like 4

floating T pose aside I think it really that the designers overcompensated and put too much unnecessary extras on him rather then taking a conservative approach . Floating, monster in background, trying to connecting him with his cape, trying to make an off center model to work, putting large amount of basing material

it the same problem with the stone mage IMO, did he really have to be floating on top of three floating rocks? Did he really need a stoic and angry face that look like a baby face in the end?

• Like 1

Reading some comments, I can't believe that after 5 years people are still surprised with a bit of over-the top in AoS.

Lumineth are successors of High Elves, not High Elves themselves. Expecting something else was doomed to dissapoint. Same thing happened with Ossiarch Bonereapers and Tomb Kings. Manage your expectations.

I think @robinlvalentine said it best.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree with @michu and @robinlvalentine.  As spiritual successors, I think the models are awesome.  There are enough nods to the Asur of old that you can draw lines to what they were.

But they aren't the Asur.  They're the Lumineth.

And in light of that, I appreciate them for what they are.  They are Aelves.  They are AOS.  They are the best looking aelf faction in AOS so far.  And while the models do slightly terrify me as I live in a home with rampaging toddlers, I also can't wait to get started on them!

Edited by Koradrel of Chrace
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

he whole "Pointy Elves" marketing led me to belive on tall winged helmets of old and man.

horned helmets are pointy though tbf

54 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

The horns look ridiculous, the plumes on the infantry make no sense (hope they never fight with the wind behind then, lancers are gona eat those plumes) and archer helmets are meh.

plenty of historical armies fought with plumes. the archer armor is actually weirdly realistic in the grand scheme of AOS, and much more sensical than the strange metal frames (that also could have feathers!) the old HE archers had

Edited by CommissarRotke
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Sleboda said:

They are both fictional, so there's that.

considering we have egyption records of a man of the upper egyption nobility changing his name to moses, converting to a monotheistic religion and then leading a mass rebelion that fled north out of egypt. and thus have two sources with very similar events. its very likely the gie was real. is the whole story true? maybe, but the man was probably a real historical figure.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

Over the top design can work if done correctly (KO, Levidon, Mangler squig, ossiarch constructs) but doing it too much with out control is what professional artist would call too clashing ideas or too much noise

But remember that different people have different tastes. What you call overdone, for me is just perfect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, novakai said:

Over the top design can work if done correctly (KO, Levidon, Mangler squig, ossiarch constructs) but doing it too much with out control is what professional artist would call too clashing ideas or too much noise

I think the Kharadron and Lumineth are quite tasteful.

Kharadron are very busy, but it's just a steampunk aesthetic, which itself is a mixture of industralism and 1880-1930 aesthetics. They also reference Squats (the Overlord was the Squat metal zeppelin, quite an overt link) and mechanised earlier dwarfs.

Lumineth are reminiscent of Korean and Mongolian medieval armies, while toning down the details compared to AoS armies. There is a coherence to them. These also reference the earlier elves, and I consider them better designed than the earlier high elves. Things like the wind flowing the same direction throughout the line is a bit of detail that really fits them.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

@Thiagoma You're certainly entitled to dislike the new design, but let's not pretend that the old High Elf helmets were remotely practical either! If WHFB were real, like 90% of High Elf casualties would be a result of snapped necks caused by a glancing blow to the helmet XD

You are absolutly correct! 🤣

20 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

@Thiagoma You're certainly entitled to dislike the new design, but let's not pretend that the old High Elf helmets were remotely practical either! If WHFB were real, like 90% of High Elf casualties would be a result of snapped necks caused by a glancing blow to the helmet XD

I agree- let’s not pretend the old Eltharion could enter a building with his hat on, and IIRC Caradryan had a helmet half as tall as he was. In typical AOS style it’s dialled up to 11 with the new mage, which will never be everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s growing on me

9FDE8D8C-9D7E-4801-A785-1984DB8616F2.jpeg

Edited by Azamar
  • Like 2

531381368_images(4).jpeg.2d0d8ffdb30b4a37a6a62ae78cbe55f2.jpeg

I belive this guy was the last High Elf model.

Imo he and the Dragon Noble were the coolest looking High Elves.

Considering the Twins artwork on that "Aelves page" i was hoping to see a modern take on the winged helmets.

The sculpts we got (with the exception of Teclis himself) look really good but i just cant stand the helmets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zanzou said:

Yeah, me for example. I really wanted a new skeleton army. Maybe based on the design of the Sepulchral Guard. These weird bone things are not at all my taste. I can wait. Maybe the Vampires won’t be totally overdesigned weirdos. 
I wonder if I will ever personally meet someone playing Ossiachs...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m extremely excited by Lumineth and the rumours about Sons because they look extremely fascinating, I see lots of people getting hyped and I have zero interest in both. This finally gives me time to reduce my backlog that was severely impacted by last year amazing releases. 
Will make some popcorns and wait to see what’s the next direction AoS will take and enjoy some relax time while looking at pointy aelves and improbable giants.

4 hours ago, Charleston said:

I think so,too. The same procedure will repeat with Lumineth :) Also GW models look quite bad on their pictures, most of the time real models look way better than box-art.

Yeah this is definitely true - I've lost count of the number of times that, when putting together a mini myself, I've discovered I like it way more than the photos. A combination of a lot of modern GW poses looking better in 3D than 2D, and the in-house painting style being so extreme in places. 

• Like 1

There's also the fact that our impression of something changes between a photograph (be it 2D, 3D or however) and actual contact and interaction with it. 

I agree that there have been models that I've not really liked, yet changed my opinion when I saw and held one and eventually built my own. 

Another angle is paintwork. Sometimes the GW scheme just doesn't grab you, but an alternative scheme can. I think this is why we are seeing the community page doing more of these showcases of other artists and impressions on their work. Just look at how many more people were wowed by the hypnocat painted in pastel colours and with a simple wing conversion. Those few changes and people went "OOH I want that!"