The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, willange said:

While I agree that having endless spells for those factions would be cool, I think the sad fact is that not everyone is getting those.  

Orruks never got any (even though they would have made total sense).
Nurgle never got any (again, would have been easy to do).
Cities never got any (the did get empowered standard spells though, but that lack of flashy new models is still somewhat felt for me).
Kharadron never got any (I know, I know, they have no priests or wizards and they do have spell in a bottle.  However, I see no reason why navigators and khemists couldn't "manipulate the aetheric winds" or whatever and have and "endless chemical monstrosity" or something).
Seraphon won't get any (though like cities they do get a twist on the standard ones which is awesome, but still sort of a bummer).
Ogors never got any (and they would have made perfect sense to have them.  1 butcher themed one, 1 firebelly themed one, and 1-2 endless prayers for the huskards).
IDK and DoK as you mentioned.
Legions of Nagash (though nagash can cast the FEC, OBR, and NH ones, plus many neutral endless spells do have a strong death theme).

My point is that I would love to see every faction get some version of endless spells, but there are just so many that DON'T have them that it's hard to see it ever happening since many of those armies just got books.

Sorry but your argument doesn't stack up. KO's updated book gives them access to Endless spells (spell in a bottle). The IDK and DOK books don't mention endless spells because they predate them. Orruks and COS get supped-up endless spells and Ogors like Beastmen and Gitz got terrain (as will Seraphon).

Sure DOK might never get their own spells - fine. But GW changed the game just  a few months after releasing DOK by adding in Endless Spells and frankly it is inevitable that the DOK and IDK and Nurgle books get revamped. Everything else (new factions, revamped sculpts etc) requires a lot of new plastic and a lot of new designs. Revamping books has in the last 18 months required 1 new hero model and a cheeky boxed game, plus some made in China Terrain / Endless Spells - it's easy money.

Edited by zedatkinszed

While it's flawed to say we won't get faction updates since they already got 2.0 tomes, it's equally flawed to think they will be updated because their tomes aren't up to par. Keeping every army on an even footing has never really been the top priority of GW, you only need to look at how long it took for a Seraphon update.

As of right now there's no real rumours suggesting IDK, Nurgle or DoK updates in the immediate future.

54 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Sorry but your argument doesn't stack up. KO's updated book gives them access to Endless spells (spell in a bottle). The IDK and DOK books don't mention endless spells because they predate them. Orruks and COS get supped-up endless spells and Ogors like Beastmen and Gitz got terrain (as will Seraphon).

How does it not stack up?  

We're not talking about terrain, so I don't know why you're bringing that up.  What does that have to do with the endless spells?  Are you saying, it's just a "cool faction feature" or something?  Because at that point you could compare endless spells, terrain, and other allegiance abilities pretty interchangeably.  Besides, plenty of factions get both endless spells and terrain, so it's not like having one should satisfy you for the other.  For me at least, the main draw of endless spells is to have a set of cool looking spells to represent my faction.  It's not so much to do with power or anything (Warclans for example is plenty strong without endless spells or a terrain piece).

How does KO having a single artifact on a single hero (which much be a khemist) that can, once per battle, cast 1 endless spell come even close to the Magmic Invocations of the Fyreslayers or the Judgements of Khorne?  I even called out this artifact specifically in my post.

Orruks and COS get supped-up endless spells

Orruks do not, in fact, get souped-up endless spells.  Cities of course do, but again I mentioned that in my post.  It's like you kinda skimmed my post and didn't really read it.  It's not that Cities need spells.  It's that spells are cool and I was looking forward to seeing some cool new spell models, so I was disappointed not to get them.

Ogors like Beastmen and Gitz got terrain (as will Seraphon).

Beastmen and Gitz also got spells.  Ogors got no spells and didn't get "enhanced" neutral spells either.

I could keep going and re-iterating my original points for you, but I think I've made the point abundantly clear.  Even for factions released after 2.0, not all factions got endless spells (or even enhanced neutral ones), so there's no real reason to think that Idoneth or DoK releasing after 2.0 would have somehow meant that they got spells. 

Again, I totally want them to.  I want everyone to get some version of them.  I just don't think everyone will.

Edited by willange
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, JPjr said:

the Soul Wars give way to the next big story, Slaanesh's escape being the obvious big hook if they haven't already broken free before that

I got legitimately terrified that there were multiple gods trapped, before remembering Slaanesh is indeed a They. Let's hope nothing else has coalesced inside there to escape when the time comes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am really looking forward to Lumineth lore. I am sorry for deviating a bit the conversation based on this, but I just bought and read Gloomspite and Ossiarch BTs. I am really impressed by lore in both. When compared to the first BTs in AoS (SCE, Fyreslayers, Everchosen - original khorne was a bit better), it is really amazing how far we are. Even relatively recent BT were not that good (Kharadron first edition, IDK, DoK). So I was expecting a thin downed night goblins BT and an excuse of an army to release cool models for Ossiarch. But they are both WHFB quality at the least, with extremely cool concepts really well worked out. 

So what will come out of a more traditional, civilization building new faction in this new developped and high quality scenario? What is revealed so far is not spectacular at all, but promising in fleshing out a civilization. /excited

• Like 4

Admittedly I'm kind of wrapped up in the upcoming Lumineth release, but do we really have any clue what's coming after besides the Sons of Behemat?  The reason I ask is because while we don't know that Nurgle, IDK, and DoK aren't getting updates, we don't know that they aren't getting said updates.  Although honestly, I think SCE are the mostly likely faction to get a revision this year.

Aside from Lumineth and giants for AoS, and a Orruks and DoK warband for underworlds we have no idea what is coming after.

What GW has done in the past or what they are doing with 40k with psychic awakening is irrelevant as we don't know what is coming, which I find really exciting!!

Bring on the unknown and blow our minds!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

Aside from Lumineth and giants for AoS, and a Orruks and DoK warband for underworlds we have no idea what is coming after.

What GW has done in the past or what they are doing with 40k with psychic awakening is irrelevant as we don't know what is coming, which I find really exciting!!

Bring on the unknown and blow our minds!!!

I second the motion.

• Like 1

i remember a mention on Warhammer weekly that they spoke to one of the rule designers or someone and that they said that they finished up with all the battletomes that are going to be release this year and are planning/ writing for next years battletomes releases slate.

So I think that GW will keep release "Tomes" and not just stop at Seraphon

Random suggestion to improve communication on a forum about communication that somehow refuses to communicate by typing out actual words -

At least follow basic AP or Chicago Manual style guides and use lower case where appropriate.

For example, DoK for Daughters of Khaine as opposed to DOK.

I love ya, TGA, I really do, but daaaaaannng.

Also, get off my lawn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, novakai said:

i remember a mention on Warhammer weekly that they spoke to one of the rule designers or someone and that they said that they finished up with all the battletomes that are going to be release this year and are planning/ writing for next years battletomes releases slate.

So I think that GW will keep release "Tomes" and not just stop at Seraphon

Oh there is no doubt that gw will continue to release battletomes. They just won't necessarily be coming particularly soon or be the books people are expecting. 

I would love to see gw being brave with the next ghb. Just a handful of new rules could considerably improve some of the more troublesome books. 

If I were to look into my crystal ball I might see something like this. 

Aprilish Lumineth

Mayish Sons of Behemat

Summer 40k 9th edition. Not much for AOS except the ghb. 

Autumn new Stormcast book maybe. 

Winter one more all new battletome or a couple  of updates.

2021 possibly a Psychic awakening style campaign series. 2 or 3 all new books and a handful of updates. 

2022 third edition- possibly a full revamp requiring all new books. (I hope they don't do this)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Charleston said:
  Reveal hidden contents

To be honest I feel a lot of envy about thoose teases coming up after the StD Book. It really feels like GW has 2 Designers writing Battletomes, one that gives all that books Goodstuff and the other one who manicaly writes weird restrictions into the tomes~ Somehow I always get factions that Designer B writes the books for...

Nevertheless it feels like some nice touch of fresh air for Seraphon! I like the fact that they have some sort of duality to their lore with all the Coalescend and Starborne background which feels kinda unique and allows some neat conversions and Lore tidbits, making AoS more and more distinct from generic fantasy

Rather seems to me that the latest/upcoming releases are focused on giving the player a choice as to how generic or high fantasy he wants to go. Yes, you can play Seraphon as star-ghosts, but also as traditional jungle-dwelling reptiles. Ogors are not necessarily chased by a magical storm, but can also be just hungry nomads. The Lumineth even seem to have surprisingly down-to-Earth models (riding actual HORSES). Warcry has some crazy models, but also standard barbarian warbands etc.

Quite clever to try and appeal to different tastes IMO.

Or, crazy theory, even laying the groundwork for a return of the Old World? 😄

Edited by Beastmaster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Autumn new Stormcast book maybe. 

I suspect this might be true, the classic space marine treatment with a book as the first in the edition, which then quickly falls to the wayside due to powercreep then late in the edition they will get a new book to surge sales back up.

4 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Rather seems to me that the latest/upcoming releases are focused on giving the player a choice as to how generic or high fantasy he wants to go. Yes, you can play Seraphon as star-ghosts, but also as traditional jungle-dwelling reptiles. Ogors are not necessarily chased by a magical storm, but can also be just hungry nomads. The Lumineth even seem to have surprisingly down-to-Earth models (riding actual HORSES). Warcry has some crazy models, but also standard barbarian warbands etc.

I have the same feeling just reading AoS Black Library books.

22 minutes ago, Beastmaster said:

Now that I think of it: Even the ossiarchs, while they do some crazy stuff with bones, are at their core a very traditionally structured infantry/cavalry/artillery army. Actually far more grounded than, say, an army wholly consisting of floating ghosts.

True. I still hope for very traditional, low fantasy skeletons, like the Sepulchral Guard models. I can‘t stand those Ossiarchs at all. 
Are there any rumors about a “normal“ skeleton faction?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

Quite clever to try and appeal to different tastes IMO.

Or, crazy theory, even laying the groundwork for a return of the Old World? 😄

That's actually quite brilliant. Looking a bit further back, we can also see this in Cities: Greywater as a 20th century warfare subfaction, Hammerhal as an almost Bretonnian mounted knights subfaction contrasted by Hallowheart as a very magical subfaction and Anvilgard as a magical beast high fantasy option.

Tempest's Eye (mobility to nudge towards Kharadron), Living City (borrowing traits from Sylvaneth) and Phoenicium (martyr subfaction) are a bit in between.

I like this approach.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Beastmaster said:

Now that I think of it: Even the ossiarchs, while they do some crazy stuff with bones, are at their core a very traditionally structured infantry/cavalry/artillery army. Actually far more grounded than, say, an army wholly consisting of floating ghosts.

I actually find it surprising how plain a lot of AoS weapons are. When you consider the high-fantasy setting most warriors are running around with fairly typical weapons. GW hasn't cracked open the box of "Dynasty Warriors" or even extreme weapon designs and shapes overly much. Many things are still axe/spear/sword/dagger/bow/crossbow etc...

Just something I noticed: for seraphons, it seems that Starborn is a nice choice, versatile and fun. The SC! are really nice. The new skinks on troglodon being a wizzard, you can start your seraphon army with 1 old SC + 2 new SC + 1 slann (or something equivalent) for less than 200€. It is a nice backbone of army looking great on the table (yes, I like big miniatures), with the bonus: every big guy is a multikit magnetizable.  Around 2K points. You have nice wizzards (some of the best), 3 big guys, some battlelines, some flyers ... (you'll probably need just some few cheap battlelines).

I like it when everything is in the StartCos 👍

24 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

What I like about the new Lizards is that you have one super objective focused faction and one combat prowess faction.

I already love the latter ^_^

This is definitely what I'm finding most appealing about it, It seems like Starborn or Coalesced armies are going to feel and play very differently from each other which is great especially if you don't have to go out and buy a whole bunch of new models to try something new. I'm in the same boat as you, the Coalesced are pretty appealing, especially as someone who likes the saurus models (although they are getting on and the knights don't look the best) but didn't think they were really worth taking before this tome. Now all we need is for saurus warriors and guard to be 2 wounds and I'll be happy.

• Like 1