The Rumour Thread

Spoiler

To be honest I feel a lot of envy about thoose teases coming up after the StD Book. It really feels like GW has 2 Designers writing Battletomes, one that gives all that books Goodstuff and the other one who manicaly writes weird restrictions into the tomes~ Somehow I always get factions that Designer B writes the books for...

Nevertheless it feels like some nice touch of fresh air for Seraphon! I like the fact that they have some sort of duality to their lore with all the Coalescend and Starborne background which feels kinda unique and allows some neat conversions and Lore tidbits, making AoS more and more distinct from generic fantasy

Edited by Charleston

I'd expect DoK to be more hearts than skulls. 

Skulls suggests to me the undead, vampires, khorne etc.... I'd be surprised if its Slaanesh if only because it looks more like a terrain/landmark/leader type feature rather than infantry and Slaanesh is very top heavy for leaders right now. 

Just now, CommissarRotke said:

it looks like magic/blood/whatever is being drawn from the chalice itself, which places it within the realm of Slaanesh or DOK I think. If DOK will get an updated book, maybe this is finally a hero separate from the shrine box??

I like the idea of surprise 2.0 books. DOK, Nurgle, Nighthaunt/LoG, and Stormcast plz.

13 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

It feels too static of an item to be for an Underworlds warband though; we know the DOK leader has a spear, there's twin witch aelves with twin daggers, and 1 melusai

And a Sister of Slaughter.

Other than being a pot of gore none of the other design elements really match up with any of the current DoK range, as much as I would love for some new models in that regard!  The support brackets being so similar to Syll'Eske's back vanes swing it towards Slaanesh for me, but I wonder if it might be a 40k thing?  Fulgrim is presumably a pretty likely candidate for a model release, perhaps alongside some other themed emperor's children kits, I could see a gory incense burner like that as some sort of basing detail on a large model.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SleeperAgent said:

I like the idea of surprise 2.0 books. DOK, Nurgle, Nighthaunt/LoG, and Stormcast plz.

2.0 is done. All the battletomes you listed are "2.0" or "2.0 ready" The next round of battletomes will be 3.0. or "3.0 ready". Until then we'll just see rules updates in FAQ, Generals Handbook, and other supplements. 

2 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

2.0 is done. All the battletomes you listed are "2.0" or "2.0 ready" The next round of battletomes will be 3.0. or "3.0 ready". Until then we'll just see rules updates in FAQ, Generals Handbook, and other supplements. 

Not entirely true. We got 1.5 battletomes during AoS 1.0 (SCE and Khorne). And 40k has 2nd edition SM and CSM. Everything is possible.

• Like 5

Aye but once Seraphon are out all the Tomes will be for 2.0. This means we won't see any new ones until

1) GW releases a large number of new models to a faction. Not just updating old sculpts, but actual new model types. This might prompt a 2.5 type Battletome, or might just be GW releases a supplement document that you add to your battletome. It really depends if they just add new models or are reworking the core of the army

2) GW builds up toward 3.0 edition. We don't have any hint that this is happening any time soon nor even what 3.0 might look like. In the past GW has both done small adjustments or wholeasle changing to the rules for a new edition so what we might get is impossible to predict. Even if GW was releasing a 3.0 compatible battletome in advance of a 3.0 rules edition, I'd expect them to pick armies also getting large model updates at the same time, since otherwise it would seem odd to release a Tome on its own for a rules edition that wasn't yet out. .

Note with the way GW is adapting their rules with a semi-living rules set it might be that 3.0 ends up being more of a collected rules update. Adding in a load of refinements, corrections and additions that are released over the years. So we might not even have the same pressure to get "3.0 Tomes" like we've had in the past. Since an update like that would not be changing the core game mechanics. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think the mentality of "ALL TOMES ARE 2.0 NOW ANY TALK OF NEW BATTLETOMES FOR EXISTING ARMIES DOES NOT COMPUTE" is extremely flawed. GW never rigidly sticks to a design pattern indefinitely and we've seen them release Codexes for armies in 8th edition 40k that already had an 8th edition codex. Nurgle, Nighthaunt, and Stormcast could all use a new battletome off the top of my head. With Nighthaunt and Stormcast being older tomes that haven't aged well and being the starter set armies I think its more likely than not that'll we'll see at least one of them get a new battletome this year.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Overread said:

Note with the way GW is adapting their rules with a semi-living rules set it might be that 3.0 ends up being more of a collected rules update. Adding in a load of refinements, corrections and additions that are released over the years. So we might not even have the same pressure to get "3.0 Tomes" like we've had in the past. Since an update like that would not be changing the core game mechanics. 

yeah, whilst I fully expect to be proven wrong here (cue 3.0 being announced in an email in 5 minutes) I generally agree here. I don't see a complete overhaul coming anytime soon, more of a continual update & refinement process, for all the complaints about balance or this army being ****** or whatever the basic core rules underpinning the system are pretty solid, plus with Warcry & Underworlds too it feels like there's more room for them to try out new things without having to make wholesale changes just yet.

of course those refinements and updates could eventually be seen as grotesque bloat (if they're not already by some people) and at some point a complete reset might be required, even if just to boost sales, but for the moment I think we'll just see tinkering around the edges.

what I do expect is, alongside the odd completely new army here & there, for them to finally do a proper set of Soul Wars campaign books, essentially like the Psychic Awakening ones, doling out minor updates & buffs to factions that way with a couple of new units introduced alongside each book. Obviously we already have the Wrath of the Everchosen, but I reckon we'll get a load more of these probably once PA has run its course.

That will keep most armies fresh in one way or another for a while longer and I wouldn't be surprised if those campaign books did ultimately lead to the release of a new big starter set though, possibly even as early as summer 2021, as the Soul Wars give way to the next big story, Slaanesh's escape being the obvious big hook if they haven't already broken free before that.

And whilst the basic rules would, essentially, remain the same I could see a big flashy new core book to go with that, incorporating the key changes of the past few years and updating the story, call it 3.0 call it 2.5, just call it the latest core rules, doesn't really matter. Then cue the next round of updated battletomes starting to appear either just before or after that.

Anyway as I said I fully expect this to all be hilariously wrong and proven demonstrably so in no time at all but there you go...

• Like 2

@Forrix the key is that for a new Battletome to actually sell there has to be a reason for it. A few addendum and errata updates to the rules won't likely sell it anywhere near in the volumes GW would like. That's why I said that its unlikely unless GW is doing a full rebuild of an army or adding a serious number of new models to them. Plus they can always release an expansion book rather than a whole new Battletome. 

New Tomes are only very rarely done within the same rules edition without serious reworking going on, otherwise customers get rather irate and GW hasn't got enough reason to get people to buy the new version from them. 

Look at 40K - GW issued both an expansion book and a new edition of the Chaos Codex. The new Edition for those getting in new; the expansion for those who already had the previous version. GW was mostly adding rather than changing the content so expanding the original book was better than outright forcing a replacement on customers. 

I'm not opposed to new books. If GW were to release a wave of 6 new models coupled with new abilities, new spells, new battalions and such all to Daughters of Khaine I'd be happy for a new Tome. But if they added 2 new units and updated it with the errata chances are I'd not buy it. 

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

Sorry but no. IDK and DOK have no endless spells. They are in as much need of a minor revamp, especially DOK (And I mean minor, fix a Hagg Narr, add endless spells, release a hero you can buy in a clam pack). They are also next in line. And @Mutton is right all 4 have issues that could be easily fixed with a quick and simple update.

5 hours ago, novakai said:

58952007-B9F9-40A1-AB0D-35ED353A92E1.jpeg.fc7d1077ab6d3b8b8d1d2cfce1e702a8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chumphammer said:

If its a DOK for underworlds or Beastgrave I will also be happy as means new models I can sub in my army

I agree with @CommissarRotke it's too static for an underworld's warband element. If it is an underworld's thing it's probably not for Beastgrave - could be Underworlds 4.0 terrain/objectives markers.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Sorry but no. IDK and DOK have no endless spells

Yeah? CoS, Seraphon and KO also don't have them - and yet they are 2.0 battletomes.

Listen, DoK, Nurgle and IDK are 2.0 battletomes. Yes. they are not perfect and need an update but it's GW who decides what is and what isn't a 2.0 battletome. Quality of rules nonwithstanding. If it has darker logo and white books spine then it is a 2.0 battletome.

But that doesn't mean they won't get updated 2.5 battletomes.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, zedatkinszed said:

Sorry but no. IDK and DOK have no endless spells.

While I agree that having endless spells for those factions would be cool, I think the sad fact is that not everyone is getting those.  

Orruks never got any (even though they would have made total sense).
Nurgle never got any (again, would have been easy to do).
Cities never got any (the did get empowered standard spells though, but that lack of flashy new models is still somewhat felt for me).
Kharadron never got any (I know, I know, they have no priests or wizards and they do have spell in a bottle.  However, I see no reason why navigators and khemists couldn't "manipulate the aetheric winds" or whatever and have and "endless chemical monstrosity" or something).
Seraphon won't get any (though like cities they do get a twist on the standard ones which is awesome, but still sort of a bummer).
Ogors never got any (and they would have made perfect sense to have them.  1 butcher themed one, 1 firebelly themed one, and 1-2 endless prayers for the huskards).
IDK and DoK as you mentioned.
Legions of Nagash (though nagash can cast the FEC, OBR, and NH ones, plus many neutral endless spells do have a strong death theme).

My point is that I would love to see every faction get some version of endless spells, but there are just so many that DON'T have them that it's hard to see it ever happening since many of those armies just got books.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1