The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

So there you have it, thanks to me having an article that I need to have written by this afternoon that I really can't face doing until the last minute I have scientifically proven why the contents of this box is as it is. As for a lack of synergy, personally I think outside of people that like to fetishise spreadsheets that doesn't hugely matter to most people and almost certainly not Gloomspite Gitz players/collectors!

Just to clarify I am ok with the models inside, sure they could be better (Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig would have been possible as the SC Primaris Space Wolves box also came with a character that was only available in the Tooth and Claw box before that) but thats fine. I just think that the price point of 80€ (IF those prices are real, I couldn't find them anywhere else) is too much when nearly all other start collecting sets have either more stuff inside or a lower price point, still I am happy about any savings I can get on my Gitz

Edited by Matrindur
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kasper said:

I don't mind adds, but some of these seem kinda odd. 😂

let's be generous and say too much Googling 'Slaves to Darkness'... still you might want to clear your browser's cache and history... 

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, JPjr said:

let's be generous and say too much Googling 'Slaves to Darkness'... still you might want to clear your browser's cache and history... 

🤔

Haha. This is from my work PC though. ;) The cache is very much clean!

• Haha 1

Just now, michu said:

Neat that Dracothion is the one who saved the Seraphon with breathing new magical life into them. He did the same with Sigmar in the Stormcast battletome when he discovered his body floating in thr aether.

So it looks like the big split will be between Starborne which will probably be an allegiance to get their daemon stuff like bravery and Azyr bodies that explode into light while the Coalesced is their magic bodies attuned to the other realms instead but more meat behind their attacks.

Awesome!  :)

I'm curious what they'll do in realms like Chamon and Shyish for their jungles. Sylvaneth work with duardin to grow fortresses of iron oaks & metal pines as an example in the realm of metal so seeing silvery Seraphon roaming metallic jungles would be amazing.

• Like 2

I think it is a very fitting adaptation of old Lizardmen lore to AoS. Very nice. I read then the lore introduction to Space Wolves in Psychich Awakening. It's amazing how AoS seems to be a good job of keeping things moving and creating a crescently more interesting setting, while 40k is getting ever less interesting. Lore is just: "they fought there, then there, always almost losing almost winning." So bland!

• Like 3

The Community article is very stripped down and short. I think that the Seraphon will retain the old lore, it will just be an evolving part of the lore. Ergo that originally they were all summoned, but that as time when on more and more "mortal" lizardmen were born and as their populations grew the Slaan mages no longer had to use great power to summon "clones" and instead could summon armies directly. Saving their vaulted powers for other uses and also letting the Seraphon act outside of needing a Slaan mage on the battlefield to keep them empowered. Although we've seen several stories where created Seraphon have lasted for generations. Gotrek encounters some in Realmslayer.

• Like 2

Tbh this seems like the seraphon have a much stronger continuity with the world-that-was than basically any other faction. Not completely unbroken but there's a solid cultural throughline. Gives them even more of an ancient resonance.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Turgol said:

Actually it is quite explicit that they were left in stasis (so alive) on their ships. So they were always alive but inhabitanta of the realms did not know what to think of them.

Yes but in earlier stories, like Pestilens, the Slaan mage summons them new bodies into the battlefields when they are needed. They are, at the time, likened to be like Stormcast, but different as a result of the fact that they aren't "remade" but copied with their original forms hidden away on their ark ships (which I think were first properly looked at in a short story during the Malign Portents series of stories) 

• Like 1

Just now, sandlemad said:

Tbh this seems like the seraphon have a much stronger continuity with the world-that-was than basically any other faction. Not completely unbroken but there's a solid cultural throughline. Gives them even more of an ancient resonance.

At least it holds true for the original creatures; those born in the realms are likely many many generations removed from them (depending when they settle from the arks). 

Skaven at much the same as the Great Horned One basically grabbed their huge midden of a home and threw it into the Mortal Realms underside. Of course skaven are not well known for living long lives, so chances are only the Vermin Lords would recall the past and they likely don't bother with it. I believe only Thanquol and perhaps Ikit Claw have survived and would recall the world of old (with Thanquol outraged that a certain Dwarf might also have survived). 

The only other skaven that might have lasted longer are some of the clan leaders and perhaps, if GW ever delves into their lore, ancient Broodmothers. However the whole subject of Broodmothers is a grey area for the Skaven at present. Though the newest Battletome does hint that they are not totally as dumb and that some might be colluding to secure power of their own. Of course that might only be seen within the home and might never be something we see on the battlefield. Yet we might one day see "Amazonian Skaven" style warriors (since Skaven females only grow to gross size and mutation through warpstone influence; how they'd look if they were hidden from the males and not twisted that way with the warp is unknown). 

• Like 1

Aren't there rumours that Ikit Claw survived?

Also some of the Stormcast are technically from the Old World, but most have forgotten it (there's an Inferno short story about one stormcast questing to find parts and memories from the past by visiting a library which holds something very special).

Also don't forget the Mortarchs from Death. Three of them (the ones riding huge bone beasties) are all from the Old World. 

There's also Chaos Greater Demons and Verminlords. 

Just now, Overread said:

Aren't there rumours that Ikit Claw survived?

Also some of the Stormcast are technically from the Old World, but most have forgotten it (there's an Inferno short story about one stormcast questing to find parts and memories from the past by visiting a library which holds something very special).

Also don't forget the Mortarchs from Death. Three of them (the ones riding huge bone beasties) are all from the Old World. 

There's also Chaos Greater Demons and Verminlords. 

Ikit Claw is in the Blacklibery Hamilcar novel

Just now, Overread said:

Yes but in earlier stories, like Pestilens, the Slaan mage summons them new bodies into the battlefields when they are needed.

Yeah, the Seraphon tome had a part calling them "evolving memories" which works that their magic bodies would slowly change over time to where now we have two types between the Starbourne and Coalesced.

So the Slaan likely conjured Azyr forms to give the stasis bodies more time.

Species-wise this is a better survival move as the memories beginning, though gave the Slaan the power to match daemon hordes, meant each Slaan death crippled their race by thousands disappearing with him. Now they can magically spawn on their own and keep populating the heavens and realms even if the Slaan aren't around.

Just now, BrownDog said:

Gorgeous!  But darn, they just put the city under "Aqshy". I wanted to know what city it was. xD

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fellman said:

Archaon
3 Mortarch
The Glottkin + 3 magot lords + Festus The Leechlord
Skarbrand + Valkia the Bloody

True. Although daemons are not technically from the old world! Glottkin has always been a weird shot: a young, never heard of trio of brothers then reappears with a different background in AoS?. It is almost as if an AoS model was released sooner.

But Archaon and Mortarchs are relics for sure. Wish they would exploit that more. As with Gotrek: make them trully mystical creatures with memories that span before time.

Eh the problem is much of what they knew before doesn't really have any relevance in the Mortal Realms. Especially now, several thousands years later. Gotrek finds this constantly; he knows stuff, but almost all of it relates to places, people, things and such from his world. Almost all is basically useless. He's a little like Chriton in Farscape - knows stuff but is just woefully out of his depth and any references he makes zoom right over the heads of his companions - just as their references zoom right over his crest.. er head. 

Even technologies are far more advanced in general; perhaps up there with the height of the Dwarf empire of old before they shut down much of their technology and isolated themselves. So whilst Gotrek might get some ideas and concepts, he's not perfect in this world. 

The others are much the same, what they know from the past isn't really all that important. Skills still are, but specific world knowledge just doesn't have a place. 

From what I understand — I may well be wrong on this — the Mortarchs aren’t quite the same as those who walked before them in the world-that-was.

The way I understood it, they are Nagash’s memories made manifest, tied to him (and his will) more strongly than ever before. Nagash needed generals to lead his armies, and his memories of the Mortarchs’ victories (and some other notable characters — the Blood Dragon and Ushoran, for example) weren’t entirely dissatisfactory, and so in true Undead style he brought them back to serve him again. 

I’d love if someone who knew more about this stuff could expand on it for me!

EDIT: That Seraphon artwork in the Community article is gorgeous!

Edited by The Brotherhood of Necros
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

From what I understand — I may well be wrong on this — the Mortarchs aren’t quite the same as those who walked before them in the world-that-was.

The way I understood it, they are Nagash’s memories made manifest, tied to him (and his will) more strongly than ever before. Nagash needed generals to lead his armies, and his memories of the Mortarch’s victories (and some other notable characters — the Blood Dragon and Ushoran, for example) weren’t entirely dissatisfactory, and so in true Undead style he brought them back to serve him again. 

I’d love if someone who knew more about this stuff could expand on it for me!

This is precisely my point: the mortarchs have a very ambiguous background and thus are hard to grasp and get involved with characters. And they would be quite wonderful characters, either as disadapted old entities (like Gotrek) or something else. IMO they should be made less ambiguous, just as GW is approaching lizardmen. 

1 minute ago, Turgol said:

This is precisely my point: the mortarchs have a very ambiguous background and thus are hard to grasp and get involved with characters. And they would be quite wonderful characters, either as disadapted old entities (like Gotrek) or something else. IMO they should be made less ambiguous, just as GW is approaching lizardmen. 

Really? For me this makes them so much interesting. Especially Manfred. him being a self destructive part of Nagash which he fondly looks down upon is really cool to me. 

• Like 2