The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, JPjr said:

Louise Sugden should paint every model and be put in charge of all official colour schemes. Really should be no question about it.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/18/peer-into-the-mindstealer-of-the-expertsgw-homepage-post-4/

cant wait to get this model myself (& then leave it unbuilt on a shelf for 6 months before making it look like an ill looking animal that has been left Unloved and unclaimed in a rescue shelter for 5+ years)

0D75D0FF-163E-4C74-BC50-808534E4084C.jpeg

She's the best, her Instagram is a constant delight

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

R u serious? I highly doubt that.

Anecdotal evidence, but i used to work on a restoration lab and was the only men in 8 workers. We had to pick fibers to restore documents and they were all like "cant you see this is the perfect color? really?", and really really i couldnt.

It is pretty normal to restoration teams to discuss every aspect of the work before it start and i would always go for their pick of color instead of the one i would choose myself.

They were always 100% right. And they were always amazed by the fact that i couldnt deduce it by myself.

Of course we had to pick into about 200 beige colors , was no easy feat 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

While males were hunting for brown hares in brown grass, females were looking for red berries, etc.

Eh I dispute that on the grounds that the further back you go and the more base-line and less sedentary a society is, the more even the male/female job roles are. Women would be hunting rabbits and men berries just as much as the other gender. Both are your basic survival elements when you're a hunter-gatherer. 

As for the artistic differences I think much of that is "more" a result of social elements than purely a male/female thing. Much like how many people will say that you've got to be born with an artists eye to create art (despite the fact that the vast majority of top artists often were trained from youth). A bit like how "pink is a girls colour" today and yet historically it was a boys colour if you go back far enough. 

There's also styles as well and any outlier from the current "normal" will be quite evident and doesn't have to be the result of gender. 

Heck even just growing up as children there are lots of subtle things that can influence us. Boy toys being more "war" toys might have more muted colour pallets more so than girls toys which might have more vibrant pallets. This might well have a subtle influence on any artistic choices that they then make in their adult life. Alongside that don't forget many people learn art by copying others. So whatever the current major/popular styles/methods are - they are far more likely to be copied. So if GW and many of the painting pros are putting out a similar style; many iwll follow that style's approach. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Eh I dispute that on the grounds that the further back you go and the more base-line and less sedentary a society is, the more even the male/female job roles are. Women would be hunting rabbits and men berries just as much as the other gender. Both are your basic survival elements when you're a hunter-gatherer. 

As for the artistic differences I think much of that is "more" a result of social elements than purely a male/female thing. Much like how many people will say that you've got to be born with an artists eye to create art (despite the fact that the vast majority of top artists often were trained from youth). A bit like how "pink is a girls colour" today and yet historically it was a boys colour if you go back far enough. 

There's also styles as well and any outlier from the current "normal" will be quite evident and doesn't have to be the result of gender. 

Heck even just growing up as children there are lots of subtle things that can influence us. Boy toys being more "war" toys might have more muted colour pallets more so than girls toys which might have more vibrant pallets. This might well have a subtle influence on any artistic choices that they then make in their adult life. Alongside that don't forget many people learn art by copying others. So whatever the current major/popular styles/methods are - they are far more likely to be copied. So if GW and many of the painting pros are putting out a similar style; many iwll follow that style's approach. 

Well regardless of the reasoning behind it, it is an observable and measurable difference.

Oh agreed, I'm not disputing the differences in eye structure and measurable differences in colour perception and the fact that there are more colourblind males than females. Just the reasoning behind it. Indeed the more they've studied genetics the more they've found that its not as simple as a single gene affecting a single property. Many times its several elements that come together to affect one property as we might understand it. Thus a beneficial element might also be attached to some negative traits as well; allowing those negative traits to be preserved within the genepool. Of course positive and negative can also be variable based on ones viewpoint - but that's getting into a whole other topic and far from colourful shiny winged hypnocats.

Also for those interested the wings used on the sphinx are the wings from the frostheart phoenix kit - which thankfully wasn't axed when GW slashed the highelf range so you can still get them! 

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

Anecdotal evidence, but i used to work on a restoration lab and was the only men in 8 workers. We had to pick fibers to restore documents and they were all like "cant you see this is the perfect color? really?", and really really i couldnt.

It is pretty normal to restoration teams to discuss every aspect of the work before it start and i would always go for their pick of color instead of the one i would choose myself.

They were always 100% right. And they were always amazed by the fact that i couldnt deduce it by myself.

Of course we had to pick into about 200 beige colors , was no easy feat 🤣

They propoably simply have a better understanding of color due to their background ^^. But nice story :D

Edit: NVM I just reread the study! Females can see more colors than males. (Which means more shades of a color)

DE36462C-1A92-4C5F-8DFB-3BF8F07E63F4.jpeg.b8ab0b2c1a815530e4c564800b201625.jpeg

now I am a sad panda 🥺

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Haha 3

I'd still be extremely leery of any reduction of her style to "oh she's a girl, their eyes are like that" when her work is still the result of a lot of effort and craft, there's male painters who work in that same style, and there's prominent female painters whose style is radically different.

The chain of 'female painter doing excellent work -> ah, here's a biological reason based on her eyes' seems to me to be a drastic oversimplification of what makes a good painter and what goes into the development of a particular painterly aesthetic. Comes off as a very Just-So story kind of situation. It's also not something anyone would say about a male painter; 'he's a dude, so he can paint like that'.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 14
  • LOVE IT! 2

23 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

They propoably simply have a better understanding of color due to their background ^^. But nice story :D

Edit: NVM I just reread the study! Females can see more colors than males. (Which means more shades of a color)

DE36462C-1A92-4C5F-8DFB-3BF8F07E63F4.jpeg.b8ab0b2c1a815530e4c564800b201625.jpeg

now I am a sad panda 🥺

Don t be sad m8.At least we have simpler time buying clothes.If its a red shirt it goes with ma red shoes.Don t have to get my brain in a twist to make the shades to match.

Edited by The lord of murder
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I'd still be extremely leery of any reduction of her style to "oh she's a girl, their eyes are like that" when her work is still the result of a lot of effort and craft, there's male painters who work in that same style, and there's prominent female painters whose style is radically different.

The chain of 'female painter doing excellent work -> ah, here's a biological reason based on her eyes' seems to me to be a drastic oversimplification of what makes a good painter and what goes into the development of a particular painterly aesthetic. Comes off as a very Just-So story kind of situation. It's also not something anyone would say about a male painter; 'he's a dude, so he can paint like that'.

I'm not suggesting she paints that way because she's a woman at all. I just thought it was an interesting bit of trivia is all. I am colorblind myself, so I always find the ways in which color perception can differ between people (and populations, in this case) quite interesting. 

@JPjr Thats not really what happened at all, but you do you, I suppose. 

Edited by Deepkin

26 minutes ago, JPjr said:

Post pic of awesome, colourful, paint job.

Go for a walk.

Return 4 hours later to find discussion of the genetic makeup of 'females'...

Insert Homer-Simpson-Disappearing-Into-Hedge.GIF

Hey we were talking about genetic makeup of men and women at the same time. 

That said lets not also forget that we've got release information this weekend too!! Though its likely to be supporting games or boardgames; but one never knows what might appear and some of the 3rd party licence GW stuff is a LOT of fun

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying, that she is a great painter because she is a woman. That said, I believe that what is so stunning in her style is somehow shared by other great female painters, like Kaha (I have linked her facebook site above).

Every good painter develops his own, unique style with time. When it comes to female painters, it is often, that the style distinguishes itself by the unique use of colours. And I am not talking only about miniature painters. 

I love her work and it's super fun and colorful.

Back on topic of rumors,

That mask seems like it could go with the sons of behecet too. Like on some random strapped on armor or whatnot. But I think more likely it will be something for a smaller release. Like a 1 off armor plate for a Minotaur shadespire band or something. 

Hey, boneheads, if its only "wimmenz" that see better colours, how come all you menz can see and appreciate the art she does?

Where's the studies on that?

You should all be "whatever, looks like a blue and pink cat, who gives a fudge, where's beer?"

Why are there men judging painting contests at all? Am I taking crazy pills here or is this like skipping out on the massive fact men are looking at and appreciating these magic invisible colours?

Really though, it's a great rendition of that model. She paints great. I can see that. 'nuff said.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Welp now after seeing that Louise Sugden model I'm now gonna have to learn to paint bright colours and get myself pastel colour paints because boy does that seem exactly the sort of style of colour I'd love painting!

Looks like that dark elder covens project I was about to start is gonna get loud and pastel!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lightbox said:

Welp now after seeing that Louise Sugden model I'm now gonna have to learn to paint bright colours and get myself pastel colour paints because boy does that seem exactly the sort of style of colour I'd love painting!

Looks like that dark elder covens project I was about to start is gonna get loud and pastel!

''dark elder covens project I was about to start is gonna get loud and pastel! '' You do your archon proud.

• Thanks 1

While it's true that women naturally see subtle color differences better than men, I've also read that people (no matter if male or female) that have to do with colors (let's say artists) develop a greater eye for color differences irregardless of gender. That said it really doesn't matter here anyways.

But that Tzeentchian Sphiranx is absolutely beautiful (and cool and very unique) and Louise is a truly worthy champion of Tzeentch. I've seen stuff from her before but she got even better. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1