The Rumour Thread

I suddenly realised why next week's preorder is so lacklustre. 

The black library is on February 29th. Gw will be shipping a bunch of black library stuff to stores that weekend. If you compare the same dates last year you will see a similar thing. 

As for a route map we do know quite a bit about upcoming releases. 

We know that 40k engine war and the new aeronautica imperialis are coming in April. 

We know that the next wave of sisters and the saga of the beast for 40k are coming in March. We have a zoat coming sometime. 

Aside from from Lumineth and Seraphon, I can't think of anything else which has been officially announced. 

We have the New York toy fair this weekend which may show something and we have Gama starting on March 9th which may show something more. 

If I was going to bet on a preorder schedule I would say

February 29th Seraphon

March 7th Sisters

March 14th side games release-zoat etc.

March 21st Saga of the beast with Ghazghull

March 25th Adepticon with full Lumineth reveal and Sons of Behemat tease. 

March 28th Lumineth.

April  more Lumineth, Engine war and Aeronautica. 

May Sons of Behemat and war of the spider for 40k

• Like 2

@Chikout What's Engine War? Never heard of it.... Though I guess I don't really follow 40K rumours anymore. 

Is there a good summary of all these rumours and spotted shipping dates somewhere? 

EDIT:
disregard, I found that Engine War is just another book in this seemingly never ending Psychic Awakening story arc

Edited by Inquisitorsz

8 hours ago, TheR00zle said:

Agreed, though maybe next time they’ll Do plastic tomb kings kits, that’d sell so quickly they’d need another week to get every order!

That would be great, an d we have now seen them do a plastic made to order, so it might actually be possible. Personally I'd like to get my hands on a few more ushabti, as I have enough of the plastic kits, but anything for tomb kings would be great. Maybe with the Desert of the Dead Kickstarter doing well GW will see that there is still demand.

I agree that made for order dogs of war would also be great, ahile while we 're at it lets have some more chaos dwarfs!

8 hours ago, Overread said:

Least they've got a chance - I'm still waiting for phyrr cats to get remade and released! 

I’m kind of assuming they (and the Kymerae or whatever the Escher brute is called) will come out in Q2 with the House of Blades book, like how the Goliath ‘Zerker came out with their book. 

Also in the schedule, a persistent rumor is that there is a 40k dual army box coming with the next PA Ork vs space wolves, with their respective leaders. 

Side note: I couldn't resist to spiranx and formroid, ordered both despite knowing that they are almost useless. But they look so damn good in a StD army!  (especially here: )5e8053fa.jpg

• LOVE IT! 2

I believe there's also one of the 40K books that is hinted at dealing with spiders - so some are thinking its another Eldar wave with Warpsiders. Which would make sense as Eldar still have a lot of finecast aspect warriors, which are a pretty major deal for their army. So getting more into plastic makes sense. 

28 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Also in the schedule, a persistent rumor is that there is a 40k dual army box coming with the next PA Ork vs space wolves, with their respective leaders. 

Side note: I couldn't resist to spiranx and formroid, ordered both despite knowing that they are almost useless. But they look so damn good in a StD army!  (especially here: )5e8053fa.jpg

Just use them in Warcry (if you play Warcry). Everything has it's niche.

Edited by michu

31 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

My understanding was that the cat was pretty good?

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

I don't blame you.  I couldn't resist them either.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Austin said:

We go round and round on this whenever the GW schedule gets particularly weird (which right now it seems that way  bc of the SoB gap and everyone wanting Seraphon).  Even a simple two month out release schedule would go a long way towards being a reasonable retailer. 

Depends on your definitions of reasonable retailer I guess. I would never advice a company to communicate earlier about upcoming products if that could potentially diminish sales on the products coming before that. (what SoB by the way? Sisters of Battle or Sons of Behemat)

And I think the answer to your question is actually pretty simple.  The advantage to GW for not treating customers like cash bags (with no impulse control) would be long term loyalty (as you point out).  I think you are being a bit too dismissive in your thoughts on the value there, because at some point soon 3d printers are going to be a real threat to GW.  Once that happens, brand loyalty will be a thing.

In the same manner I do think you are overvalue-ing the added benefits  to brand loyalty. GW don't treat us like cash bags, the principle is cash cows. They have several of them. And they are of course milking it, but to be fair also maintaining them. And the financial reports seem to support their strategy . 

I think you have been around long enough to remember the bad old days when GW started actually losing to Privateer Press/Warmachine and X Wing.  That happened for a reason.  And GW came back for a reason also, they seemed to be making and doing things their customers wanted.

That happened for a reason, true. But not because they didn't give a release forecast. The core product just became sh*t and as a result they were overtaken.
Convoluted rules. outdated army books, new models being way too expensive and a stagnant storyline. That's what killed fantasy imo. Not other companies showing their release schedule when GW wouldn't.

This is such a small thing, with potentially big payoff both for GW and for us. 

But to be fair all the above back and forth is just us guestimating at best. So help me understand this last remark. Because I don't see it. What would practically happen/change for you if you had the next three months schedule vs. not having it. And what our those payoffs?

Edited by Kramer
Spelling and my constant battle against auto correct
  • Like 2

I like the way GW handle releases. They are more open with what's coming out and give regular updates and teases.

I can't see any retailer giving a release schedule for months in the future as things can change and if you know X is coming in 3 months time, you may not buy Y coming out next week, simple business practice.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Sleboda said:

They already have long term loyalty, 30+ years of success, and amaaaaazing returns for investors.

Honestly, this recurring, periodic grousing over what they should and should not be doing with "roadmaps" or the like is pointless and tedious.

Dude phrases his thoughts politely and soberly as part of an ongoing convo, but we gotta have someone sticking their oar in to tell someone else why their opinions are wrong and they should stop. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

alternatively I like the backstory to the crushers. Wish we could have a more variety of them

Ditto, i'm thinking of getting two and proxying them as the Gargant brother mercenaries.

Going off their lore as a race of empire builders that were enslaved these can be freedom fighters that join the Order armies that fight to reclaim the All-Gates sub-realm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

Depends on your definitions of reasonable retailer I guess. I would never advice a company to communicate earlier about upcoming products if that could potentially diminish sales on the products coming before that. (what SoB by the way? Sisters of Battle or Sons of Behemat)

In the same manner I do think you are overvalue-ing the added benefits  to brand loyalty. GW don't treat us like cash bags, the principle is cash cows. They have several of them. And they are of course milking it, but to be fair also maintaining them. And the financial reports seem to support their strategy . 

That happened for a reason, true. But not because they didn't give a release forecast. The core product just became sh*t and as a result they were overtaken.
Convoluted rules. outdated army books, new models being way too expensive and a stagnant storyline. That's what killed fantasy imo. Not other companies showing their release schedule when GW wouldn't.

But to be fair all the above back and forth is just us guestimating at best. So help me understand this last remark. Because I don't see it. What would practically happen/change for you if you had the next three months schedule vs. not having it. And what our those payoffs?

I think all of this is overly complicating the point (as I see it).  Would you or wouldn't you like to know some of the release schedule?  If the answer is you actually would not, then we are just in different places. 

Otherwise I would point you to the multitude of other, successful, businesses/retailers that show releases many months out as a sign that release schedules are not some unreasonable demand by the unwashed masses.  They appear to be the way the majority of businesses do business.  Based on that it would be unreasonable to assume that GW is one of the rare businesses that would be impacted negatively by a little predictability.

And so if you would like a release schedule and GW is not hurt by it, why not do it?  It isn't that the payoff would be huge one way or another.  To me its a small but nice thing to have, and the absence of it is very strange.

• Like 1

Other producers do not depend on hype mechanics, GW does. GW administers a not so huge clientele of extremely invested customers. A big part of their business depends not so much on customer growth, but continuous and oft irrational expenditure by their clients.

Businesses showing schedules do not depend on such high per capita expenditure by client. They rather have to draw attention and get as many as they can. Computer games or movies are a good example: you have a pool of millions (even billions) of potential consumers but must face strong competition for their attention. The order of the day is trying to get as many as you can.

With a much smaller potential pool of customers, all of which are extremely loyal to their brands (because of lore, identity and other investments required bynthe hobby, GW does not seek that effect. It seeks to keep your attention with them and expend as much as they can make you. And hype (and constant suspense) is essential for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

Dude phrases his thoughts politely and soberly as part of an ongoing convo, but we gotta have someone sticking their oar in to tell someone else why their opinions are wrong and they should stop. 🙄

Not saying his opinion is wrong or that he should stop. Please don't keep putting words in my mouth.

Plus, I would not exactly say his phrasing was polite when he assumes GW treats us like "cash bags." That makes a few assumptions about motivation, approach,  and attitude that are not the least bit flattering.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Confused 1

We can debate the pros and cons and different marketing strategies till the cows come home - however in the end what we argue here won't change GW's policies. Clearly their policies must be working for them as they continue to use them. 

So lets let that debate site to one side before we get all bent out of shape since, in the end, we all want the same thing - more models and more information on them. Which is why we are all in the rumour thread chomping at the bit for rumours and hints of future releases! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ivo said:

Do they usually show new independent games at the toyfair? Or could there be new reveals :p? Maybe cool seraphon spells

the reveal is usually quite small so don't except anything big or part of the main line, last year it was Dreadfane, Stormvault, Combat arena, and the Funko Pop toys

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/15/15th-feb-new-models-games-and-funko-pop-at-the-new-york-toy-fairgw-homepage-post-3/