Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

46 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Has anyone noticed the symbol on the plates on Teclis' armour?

Curious about what they stand for

Huh, those are odd. GW tend to be pretty consistant when it comes to using or reusing elvish/eldar runes, more so than with their other background, but I think some of these are new.

There's a bunch of recognisable Eltharin runes on the infantry and cavalry - lecai (light, nobility of the soul) is fairly prominent but there's definitely other recognisable ones like daroir (remembrance, memory) and more incongruous ones like arhain (shadows, night) - but some of the more ornate ones and all the runes on Teclis are fresh.

Maybe there have some 40k eldar precedent? The fancy one on the sphinx's collar looks a little like the eldar rune for autarch or maybe another one with a swirly tail.

Edited by sandlemad

4 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

*teleports behind you*

Screenshot_20200124-155546_Gallery.jpg

Slightly off-topic, but what is the current Maneater lore? Are they still master mercenaries travelling far and wide?

The Pirate model is still my favourite of the bunch, even if I'll never stop loving 'Cathayan Cartoon Fan-Maneater' 😜

11 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

The fancy one on the sphinx's collar looks a little like the eldar rune for autarch or maybe another one with a swirly tail.

Probably Teclis’s phone number for when it inevitably goes off wandering for days at a time and starts hassling other Aelven gods for snacks.

Teclis, it’s Malerion. Your bloody cat’s here, again, chasing mum’s snakes. Please come collect it”

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

I know mentioned it before, but now with pictures, the Sphinx for me is the High point of the reveals, it really does match the aesthetic of mtg sphinxes, and I freaking love mtg sphinxes....Now I want a Sphnix army with the Chaos Wild Cat as a core and this sphinx as a lord, sigh.78C785AA-A513-47C6-8694-B9A5963EDFBF.png.6adc84c3b897ab789438be9aabeeb694.pngDE149CFA-0EE3-4863-B211-03A04B470399.png.ecfc72125c7068ceb31864035f661e3e.png9DE506D9-2D1D-44C3-B0B9-D8AA66822F32.jpeg.20a01e1351be997faed5af3aef0d15d9.jpeg80DC368C-5372-4A45-A43D-44BA6D8BE8AF.jpeg.53304272e256870e70e0ae910422a83a.jpeg335DC3A4-4FE2-49DD-BF5C-AE28CAF87D8C.jpeg.046dbfbba986dd62a92188f1b357c085.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kronos said:

I know mentioned it before, but now with pictures, the Sphinx for me is the High point of the reveals, it really does match the aesthetic of mtg sphinxes, and I freaking love mtg sphinxes....Now I want a Sphnix army with the Chaos Wild Cat as a core and this sphinx as a lord, sigh.

It looks great without the pesky god on top of it!

• Haha 1

The Sphinx is so beautiful. I too am a fan of the mtg Sphinx design and I'm losing my mind with this. The aesthetic shown here is beautiful. We have a big high elf fan in our gaming group and he is super excited (hopefully he will finally stick with an army lol)

3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Cross-posting from seraphon thread since I really think this battletome cover mertis more discussion

In addition to the saurus not looking like existing saurus models, there are a lot of goldon icon on pole things that do not match anything we have. 

In green i have circled the Current Carnosaur and Engine of the Gods. They mostly match.  The things in red don't come close to anything we have. (unless I am an idiot and missing something. 

It's unusual for battletome cover art to stray so much from the models, isn't it??They oven go as far as to painting the characters even in the exact same pose as the model. 

What do you guys think? new models confirmed? Artist took too much liberty? 
seraphon.png.d86a8338203ae491091bf1b29988a8c8.png

I'm thinking new models In a vs box with sons of behemat 

Couple thoughts.

1) I'm not a Seraphon player.  I played Lizardmen in 5th edition when they were in the starter set but not since.  I did, however, paint up a Seraphon start collecting set for a local store.  Maybe it's because I've been around for a while, maybe it's because I still include older models in my regular hobby life, maybe it's because I occasionally dip into 3rd party/lower quality models, but I didn't really notice anything out of line with the Saurus (either mounted or on foot) compared to other armies.  They were fun to paint, looked fine, and were just normal models.

2) There are things that are evidence of imminent squatting.  Factions being phased out of the lore.  Models going on Last Chance to Buy.  That sort of thing.  One thing that is NOT evidence of imminent squatting:  the confirmed forthcoming release of a new battletome and new terrain piece.  It's sort of related to an advertising algorithm anecdote:  one time I mentioned on Facebook that I had just received some new business cards.  I was then inundated with advertising for business cards for several days - at a time in my life where my need for new business cards had literally never been lower.  It is the same sort of thing here.  You are never farther away from a faction being squatted than in the period between a new book being announced and the arrival of that book.

• Like 5

57893-663328c15201dfe0958b99f76c5717f6.jpg.8c40100b525390e5d8bb1d416642a9b7.jpg

The Artwork reminds from the proportions rather the new bloodbowl sculpts than the old ones :) I hope for the players that there will be a kit in near future

I think I've figured out why the new Seraphon battletome cover doesn't match existing models exactly... it's not real. That's right, it's a fake battletome. In fact, Seraphon are get squatted and this is just an elaborate practical joke by GW to poke fun at lizard lovers one more time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I think I've figured out why the new Seraphon battletome cover doesn't match existing models exactly... it's not real. That's right, it's a fake battletome. In fact, Seraphon are get squatted and this is just an elaborate practical joke by GW to poke fun at lizard lovers one more time.

Now that you mention it, it's been fully 13 hours since we last heard anything from GW about these pointy elves. That's kind of a suspicious silence, isn't it? Feels like they're trying to downplay their importance... I dunno guys, can't prove anything but feels like they might be about to squat pointy elves.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I was pretty hyped for high elves but the Teclis model really doesn't float my boat. I like the V shaped reference to the older model and clearly it's very nicely detailed but I don't understand why he's just kind of next to the sphinx, it doesn't look right to me. The sphinx is cool- would be great on its own.  Teclis looks ok (the face and super straight legs look a bit off to me) but some magical elements to explain the floating (like on nagash or celestant prime) would look better in my opinion. This looks like a conversion people do when they stick a flying model on some scenery because they need the model to look like it's flying past it- that's ok because you're focus is on the model, but here it's  a confusing as to what is the focal point of the model.

The ghost elf I like a lot better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:53 AM, EMMachine said:

Behemat was a godbeast and was basicly known as the ancestor of the Gargants, who was under the Scabrous Sprawl (this was the story back in the "Realmgate Wars: Godbeasts" Book). He basicly was killed by the Stormcast Eternals to prevent that Archaon got Behemat under his control.

It will be interesting to see if King Brodd, "last true son of Behemat" has survived.

83868632_2232800923690072_8453813940084801536_o.jpg.01a639e3303922e66b81867e07067647.jpg

"Wherever he goes, Brodd carries a huge granite pillar - both his symbol of rulership and his weapon in times of war"

rumor-engine-11-19-2019.jpg.67e27d5b209de7363ee13efdfe0b9d37.jpg

King Brodd miniature?

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, SaJeel said:

I'm thinking new models In a vs box with sons of behemat 

I really doubt it. 2 whole new sets of miniatures in a double box like that would be a departure, and I don’t really see Sons of Behemat working in a double box - the models are gonna be pretty big and expensive. You’d probably get one in there for the price. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaniuBraniu said:

With maritime I agree, however, the Old World high elves had maritime flavor, as they were somehow supposed to portray the British Empire of old.

These new guys are as neo-classical as one could hope. They have greek helmets and plums and the cavalry resemple greek cataphracts with armoured horses and lances. 

I don't see any east asian influence other than the bonsai trees.

In no way way so ever did the High Elves portray a British Empire "of old" besides being an island nation.  Like-theres nothing there at all for that.

There are however masses of comparisons you can draw between two classical civilisations (Greece and Rome)  who lived by the sea who conquered and colonised much of the world before eventually retreating into themselves and antiquity in the wake of a dark age and new beginning in world history while leaving a foundation of classical heritage and impression of a superior and more advanced culture upon which a new world order was built. You know, like what happened with the High Elves.

Greek Cataphract is an oxymoron. Greeks are recorded as having fought *against* Cataphracts. Macedonia and the Successor kingdoms  (not Greece, and both Greece and Macedon were very clear about that fact) used them, although they looked nothing like these.  

Having Greek helmets dosent make them look greek, it makes then have greek helmets. The rest of their stuff, the stuff that makes up their silhouette -flowing robes and trousers, porcelain armour, crescent moons, even the way in which the runes are crafted-these are all much more reflective of Eastern culture than neo-classical.

The Aekheliean aesthetic is much closer to Greek. The Greeks famously celebrated the human form, hence the muscled cuirass of a hoplite, and abundant nakedness. They didnt cover it up with flowing robes and considered it a form of barbarism to do so. 

I do enjoy the echoes of the Aekhelian style in these but part of that is because of how narrativley clever it is. You can tell by looking that while both share the same progeny there is a wild and muscular (Spartan) cunning  to the Aekhelians vs the more effortless and disdainful martial tradition of these guys.

Realistically though the biggest inspiration to the range by far is 40K Eldar of course, a model range which has very little Greek in its visual language.

Edited by Nos
  • Like 1

On the Seraphon cover art not matching the current models.  I believe that is a good sign there are new sculpts on the way.  About this time last year the Chaos Space Marine/Space Marine art for Vigilus was available (with no hint of new models) and there were a couple of tiny little paint brush stokes way in the back that turned out to be the models for Shadowspear.  I truly believe Games Workshop no longer commissions art that doesn't look like their model line anymore.  I think the Chapter House case has made them paranoid to the extreme on this sort of thing.  People talk about no model, no rules.  I think this also applies to their art.  As I can't remember the last time they had a image (especially so prominent as the cover of a book) that featured art that didn't look like their model line. 

As for the pointy elves, I am glad their is another faction that looks to be sticking to fighting battles with line infantry, cavalry and archers (mostly likely).  I play my army very much like a rank and file one, but I haven't encountered another faction that wasn't trying some kinda of crazy way of fighting.  "Not that that there's anything wrong with that."  I would just find it refreshing to face another army who is interested in fighting with solid rank and flank fundamentals like mine.  These pointy elves look like they just might do that.

• Like 1

If I can find a way to model the sphinx and Teclis separately and then cover Teclis' face up I think I can work with them and be happy.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

On the Seraphon cover art not matching the current models.  I believe that is a good sign there are new sculpts on the way.  About this time last year the Chaos Space Marine/Space Marine art for Vigilus was available (with no hint of new models) and there were a couple of tiny little paint brush stokes way in the back that turned out to be the models for Shadowspear.  I truly believe Games Workshop no longer commissions art that doesn't look like their model line anymore.  I think the Chapter House case has made them paranoid to the extreme on this sort of thing.  People talk about no model, no rules.  I think this also applies to their art.  As I can't remember the last time they had a image (especially so prominent as the cover of a book) that featured art that didn't look like their model line. 

As for the pointy elves, I am glad their is another faction that looks to be sticking to fighting battles with line infantry, cavalry and archers (mostly likely).  I play my army very much like a rank and file one, but I haven't encountered another faction that wasn't trying some kinda of crazy way of fighting.  "Not that that there's anything wrong with that."  I would just find it refreshing to face another army who is interested in fighting with solid rank and flank fundamentals like mine.  These pointy elves look like they just might do that.

There have been pieces of art that don’t match the models though. There was art of a keeper of secrets with cool Slaanesh mortals cavorting around it, but they’re nowhere to be seen. 

44 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Now that you mention it, it's been fully 13 hours since we last heard anything from GW about these pointy elves. That's kind of a suspicious silence, isn't it? Feels like they're trying to downplay their importance... I dunno guys, can't prove anything but feels like they might be about to squat pointy elves.

Yeah, looks like the Pointy Elves were squatted, instead we got these fancy "Lumineth Realm-lords"...not happy about this development!

4 minutes ago, Hyperion said:

If I can find a way to model the sphinx and Teclis separately and then cover Teclis' face up I think I can work with them and be happy.  

They look easy to separate. 

5A91AAED-7113-49D6-A55E-B2F6FDCFE9B8.jpeg

1B46B03F-00A0-4012-92C4-4E8D158F0040.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Still-young said:

5A91AAED-7113-49D6-A55E-B2F6FDCFE9B8.jpeg

1B46B03F-00A0-4012-92C4-4E8D158F0040.jpeg

Yeah, I was thinking more of in base size, if teclis is by himself, does he have to stay on that massive base haha.  hopefully he has an alternate profile with just him and no ''mount''. 

24 minutes ago, Nos said:

In no way way so ever did the High Elves portray a British Empire "of old" besides being an island nation.  Like-theres nothing there at all for that.

Colonies all over the world, strongtest navy, their former colony in "not-north-america" fighting a war against them and becoming independent. 

Its not on the nose but there is some stuff in there. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Still-young said:

It looks easy to break.

My initial thought would be to take him off the top of the wing and instead attach him somewhere near where that tree is. Hopefully get him on a little more securely and to get the idea that the wing of the sphinx is sort of enveloping/protecting him.

• Like 1