The Rumour Thread

Adepticon will announce 40k 9th Ed which will be a soft edition (like aos 2) that allows existing codices to be used, but makes some core rule tweaks. The big summer release window will tie into 9th Ed 40k.

So there is no intent to do a new aos edition or anything like that this year. I suspect we will get pointy elves, then campaign books and hopefully a few more battleboxes with new battletomes. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Adepticon will announce 40k 9th Ed which will be a soft edition (like aos 2) that allows existing codices to be used, but makes some core rule tweaks. The big summer release window will tie into 9th Ed 40k.

So there is no intent to do a new aos edition or anything like that this year. I suspect we will get pointy elves, then campaign books and hopefully a few more battleboxes with new battletomes. 

My big hope  is if they do a 3rd edition of aos they work on a lot of the books first, then release a large portion at one time.  Don't make some "3.0 ready" when they clearly aren't. Like how Nighthaunt and Stormcast are 2.0 tomes but pale in comparison to even the less powerful ones that came later.

1 hour ago, SleeperAgent said:

Like how Nighthaunt and Stormcast are 2.0 tomes but pale in comparison to even the less powerful ones that came later.

That has always been the problem of early editions of battletomes/codex. But a campaign can correct that like the Psychic Awekening is currently doing for 40K. While it is not a super elegant solution, at least it makes the low tiers and weak armies (almost) on par with top players. Honnestly, I don't really like this kind of solution because you have to work things out with so many books that it's breaking the fun. But at least, it takes care of weak/forgotten armies...

BTW, it gives also GW the opportunity to test some new mechanics and see how it goes on a larger scale.

PS: LVO has been claimed by GW as the biggest event, ever, for them. (biggest LVO it seems 😎). So, some reveeal are expected here. Hense the relatively poor reveal of open day...

Edited by GeneralZero

2 hours ago, SleeperAgent said:

My big hope  is if they do a 3rd edition of aos they work on a lot of the books first, then release a large portion at one time.  Don't make some "3.0 ready" when they clearly aren't. Like how Nighthaunt and Stormcast are 2.0 tomes but pale in comparison to even the less powerful ones that came later.

Yeah I don't want them to do an AOS 3.0 already. They have almost updated every faction now bar Seraphon. I hope they use 2020 to focus on some of the less-fortunate armies and especially work on the internal balance on many of the books. 

GW is obviously a company whos sole purpose is to sell models, but by fixing internal balance in many of the books, they would still sell models (obviously not new ones) that previously were ignored. Many armies are "ok" competitive, but it is really only a few select warscrolls that are being used. Skaven as an example has been proven to be very successful, but their entire Clan Moulder line is pretty much non-exsistent on the tables, even in casual games from my experience. 

• Like 1

Honestly I'd hope that 3.0 is just 2.0 where GW adds up all the various expansions to the rules; tidies them up, adds the Errata and FAQ into the book and cleans up the balance somewhat. Perhaps introduce a new mechanic or, more likely, just flesh out the current mechanics in a fresh direction. EG GW could choose to focus on sieges and thus adds siege gear to multiple factions - this sparking a block of new models to help generate worth in a new battletome; and also not making huge waves on the games core balance etc....

Basically instead of re-writing the whole game every edition; focus on refining the game every edition. Gamers will still rush out for the Big Rule Book if GW does their work and makes the lore newer, fresher and adds in new art and such. Meanwhile they could easily clean up a lot of profit off existing gamers with a new condensed version of the rules released at the same time. 

It also means there's less of the "oh now your Battletomes don't work any more" and less of the need for GW to put a huge amount of prep work into releasing an index system or a bunch of battletomes on the fast. Instead it lets them easily keep to a slower release pattern and ties releases back toward big model count jumps (either in updating old sculpts and/or adding new ones). 

• Like 6

It looks like a gutplate for a gargant considering the size of the skulls. It looks to piecemeal and shoddy even by Ogor standard (despite it all).

It also does not really fit with Ironjawz either, so the gargant rumor and other large strange objects in the rumor engine lately seems to fit this.

One of my local retailers was talking about a pure Gargant army being released. Battletome and everything.

According to him the Gargants in general will be much much beefier. Think Imperial Knights in 40K beefy. Where you would essentially field an army of few models, that equals in power and points value the army of your opponent.

I personally didnt really give this much credit but.....

Asgard Elves...... vs Jotunheim styled Giants suddenly seems much more reasonable than it did before.

• Like 9