The Rumour Thread

9 minutes ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I wish we knew how long Rumor Engine lead times were... what if I start buying Cities and then Sky Grots happen!?!

The oldest currently unsolved rumour engine is from April this year.

I think the longest gap between rumour and reveal is 18 months. (The shortest was minus 2 days! It was revealed before the rumour engine image was published.)

3 hours ago, SpectralHunter said:

I don't think it is 40k not technological enough.  it is too clean for grots/skaven, it doesn't have the aesthetic of KO as their flying units are all big balloons. Aelves aren't really technological and free people just came out with a book. Clockwork soldiers as mentioned in the stormvault fiction? Though I am pretty sure it is not.

A kharadron ornithopter is mentioned in the novel Overlords of the Iron Dragon. 

8 minutes ago, Travis Baumann said:

Those guys look pretty cool and fit right in with the new guys.  I never looked at Varanguard before somehow.

well seeing as they're around a million quid each that's understandable.

actually will be interesting to see if with the new book they make them more financially viable as they are cool models. I know GW never ever seems to drop the price of a standalone product once it's out but if they bring out some kind of infantry option I could see them bundling them with the Gaunt Summoner in a a Start Collecting Everchosen box. But we shall see...

The problem Varanguard always had is that they are priced as leaders at around £20 each but GW tried to sell them under Everchosen as a battleline model. I think if they became more like leaders and heavy hitters - a pure elite unit - then at least one set per army would see more table time. The models themelves are big and look fantastic, they are just priced wrong for their (current) army slot position. Even though ,all told, they are not actually that "expensive" when you compare them to the price of a full army (its just that an Everchosen army of just Acharon and Varanguard and a gaunt summoner isn't as interesting) 

14 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

They could always do the old double the models for less than double the price adjustment

Or as for Fireslayer, do a start collecting box with them.

I would be happy to buy 6 of them packed with... why not... Archaon, for a SC price 😜

• LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, calcysimon said:

What I am expecting is Varanguards taking a huge buff, I hope it, they deserve it

It makes sense lore wise for them to be insanely powerful or at least way better than they currently are as well, if they did give them a substantial buff (with appropriate point cost) then that while also taking into account the extra bits and options of the kit might justify the price. They might be ridiculously expensive but boy are they cool to look at, I really wish you could make a Slaanesh themed one as well though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I just got an idea: for those who already have the classic knights, buy & use the new ones as varanguards! Maybe  with a bit of kitbash?

I don't see the point of the varanguards price: you get 3 riders. At the SAME price (even LESS !) you got the new SC! with 5 knights, a big hero on monster and 10 new warriors.

Varanguards are like to times bigger in length and Height. Just no. I'm totally in proxy when it's creative not when it's cheap.

• LOVE IT! 1

It might simply be because originally Varanguard were designed to be the battalion option for an army of very few models whilst the dracothian was designed to be one of many within a much larger and more diverse army. So the Dracothain's costs and such might (I stress that might) have been partly rolled into investment in the whole army not just one or two individual models. 

Meanwhile the Varanguard was on its own more or less and thus might have had to have made up more of its own profits and expenses as a single model rather than as one part of a much wider army diversity. 

However such theories are only theories, we've no real idea how GW individually balances investments on that level. They do publish their finances each year (as they are a publicly trading company on the stock market) but these are only overview numbers that present things at a more overall level; rather than drilling into the specifics and pricing policies etc... It's basically designed for investors to get an overall idea of the companies major product lines and profits and investments. 

22 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I didn't know that. I googled it and indeed, they are way bigger. It explains a bit the price. They are very big cavalry.  As big as a dracothian. But why not the same price as him then....GW mistery....

img_3358.jpg?w=816&h=612

varanguard_size

Varanguard are £60 for Three.

Dracoth are £40 for two, so they're pretty much the same cost.

• Like 6

I've wanted an excuse to pick up a unit of varanguard for ages, but they've never justified the massive cost and hobby investment. I'm really hopeful this book gives me a reason to buy them!

It's tricky for GW though. Varanguard need to be elite enough to justify a big points cost, thereby justifying the big monetary cost, but when things are that expensive it's super easy to be too strong or too weak. Same goes for Archaon, but the way Nagash is sitting gives me some hope.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

Out of curiousity, Azgorh aside (and OOP/eBay, obviously), what "fundamental" unit (i.e. one you could reasonably make the bulk of your army) has the worst points-to-dollar ratio in the game?

I always felt that a Spite Revenant Dreadwood-type army would be insane. Getting pretty close to a dollar-per-point for those guys.

@Kyriakin on that I can help you as I have an Excel with every single AoS miniature with stats and other.

The top point per pound (dollar should be similar ratio) unit in AoS is the Giant Rats. You need 2 boxes of 25£ each to make a 10-rat unit valid 60 points (0.83 ratio). Arguably the box comes with other stuff, but if you only want Giant Rats, that's your price.

At the same place and more fundamental you have Skryre Acolytes, with their new price of 10£ per model, you need 5 blisters for 60 points, making it the most expensive essential battleline (0.83 ratio). 

The most expensive pure battleline would be Zombies for Legions of Nagash, 60 points for 22.5£ at a 0.38 ratio.

The most expensive ForgeWorld per point is the Dreadquake Mortar of Legion of Azgorh, with 0.51 ratio.

And finally the most expensive Leader is the Bloodthirster with 85£ for 270 points (0.31 ratio).

Anyone interested in useless stats feel free to ping me privately 😂

Ah I forgot, you were not far with the Spite-Revenants being quite high, they are 4th battleline per ratio (0.42), the 3rd being the Saurus Guard at 0.44.

Edited by alghero81
added Spite-Revenant stats
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

10 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

@Kyriakin on that I can help you as I have an Excel with every single AoS miniature with stats and other.

The top point per pound (dollar should be similar ratio) unit in AoS is the Giant Rats. You need 2 boxes of 25£ each to make a 10-rat unit valid 60 points (0.83 ratio). Arguably the box comes with other stuff, but if you only want Giant Rats, that's your price.

At the same place and more fundamental you have Skryre Acolytes, with their new price of 10£ per model, you need 5 blisters for 60 points, making it the most expensive essential battleline (0.83 ratio). 

The most expensive pure battleline would be Zombies for Legions of Nagash, 60 points for 22.5£ at a 0.38 ratio.

The most expensive ForgeWorld per point is the Dreadquake Mortar of Legion of Azgorh, with 0.51 ratio.

And finally the most expensive Leader is the Bloodthirster with 85£ for 270 points (0.31 ratio).

Anyone interested in useless stats feel free to ping me privately 😂

Ah I forgot, you were not far with the Spite-Revenants being quite high, they are 4th battleline per ratio (0.42), the 3rd being the Saurus Guard at 0.44.

Any chance to get my hands on that file? :D 

• LOVE IT! 1