The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Surely the lore appropriate use for the ogre half is to melt them down and use the plastic to cast more bonereapers! I can't imagine GW endorsing that approach for some reason though...

And the lore appropriate use of the Ossiarch half is to eat them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's interesting as well because normally with these boxes the value is about 50 / 50. But in this case the Bonereapers half is clearly worth a lot more than the ogres. 

I'd want to pay a lot less than half. So I wonder if its better to buy a full set and sell the skeles, or to buy an ogre set off someone. 

3 hours ago, relic456 said:

My only experience has mostly been with Nighthaunt which just aren't hanging competitively at all.  Legion of Grief makes an appearance here and there but straight Nighthaunt isn't even showing up anymore.  NH and LoG didn't even make it on the top 65 at the Warhammer World GT, and at the most recent Facehammer GT the highest Nighthaunt was 67th and highest LoG was 9th (2nd highest was 76th).  

I'm more thinking about where the army will be 3-6 months from now, when people have time to iterate on lists, it'll be too difficult to discern how well the named hero fits in the competitive Ossiarch lists in just one night, unless he's super obviously bad/good but I think the balancing is more subtle than that these days.

All the Nighthaunt players in my area have all quit or switched to different armies. The addition of the ability to ignore the ethereal rule to the game (currently just Bonesplitterz but I bet it will pop up elsewhere) seems like the final nail in their coffin. In my experience their major weakness is a reliance on heroes that are very easy to kill. Points cuts alone won't help since their heroes are already pretty cheap for the most part and are limited to 6. Nurgle is in a rough spot too but with shooting making a come back (which Nurgle is strong against) and some aggressive points cuts in a few areas I could see Nurgle make a strong comeback without a new book.

The newest Stormcast episode reveals some interesting lore behind the Ossiarchs. In addition, some rules were mentioned, like how one of the sub-factions is made up of fiery skeletons that explode when they die, the Petrifex focuses on monsters/constructs and grants a +1 save to all units, and the harvester regenerates units around it.

Edited by Mutton
  • Like 1

Nice rules, I’ll listen to the podcast tomorrow.

I agree Nighthaunt are more on the losing side, BoC also aren’t really top tier, I think they had a couple of Tzaangor lists popping up here and there but for the most part they are more on the fun side than the competitive one.

Im seriously thinking to sell my Ogor part (if I get a box) as I don’t see myself needing them any time soon and I have enough boxes full of unassembled miniatures... anyone in London interested? 😂 

The battletomes  of last year were made with 2.0 in mind, but there is a clear sort of power and design jump that started off in 2019. I mean compare SCE/NH in their disjointed rules design to this year's stuff especially FEC and onward.

I can't blame people for being a bit unhappy with those prior books.

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

All the Nighthaunt players in my area have all quit or switched to different armies. The addition of the ability to ignore the ethereal rule to the game (currently just Bonesplitterz but I bet it will pop up elsewhere) seems like the final nail in their coffin. In my experience their major weakness is a reliance on heroes that are very easy to kill. Points cuts alone won't help since their heroes are already pretty cheap for the most part and are limited to 6. Nurgle is in a rough spot too but with shooting making a come back (which Nurgle is strong against) and some aggressive points cuts in a few areas I could see Nurgle make a strong comeback without a new book.

Yeah, Nighthaunt are in a weird place especially with bits like being more potent in LoN.

Edited by Indecisive
  • Like 1

Really great podcast. I like how there's clearly been an effort to make the Ossiarchs both supremely cold and logical and orderly thinking beings, but also fallible, petty and malicious while telling themselves that they are none of those things. Like how they might give a tithed nation a way out if they can follow some rules but then make those rules almost impossible to follow, so the ossiarchs can tell themselves, well, we were being fair! It's the kind of petty letter-of-the-law and ultimately narcissistic feel that they clearly get from Nagash. Honestly, the characterisation of Nagash and Death more generally might just be the best AoS background. 

I also like the ambiguity they introduced with these Crematorians, the Ossiarch 'fire and forget' suicide troops, some of whom are beginning to worriedly realise that they're not quite the honoured and valued soldier caste they thought they were, and maybe they should be trying to find a way out from Nagash's gaze...

The idea that it's the lower ranking ossiarchs that are made of mashed together souls is interesting too. On one level  I would have thought that more souls mean more power but I can see the rationale here. It's a bit like Dark Magic in WHFB, which was all eight winds of magic crushed together, left to stagnate and lose vitality as they became homogenous, if powerful. Or a blended whiskey vs an aged single malt. You can even see it with the multi-faced Necropolis Stalkers and the higher-ranked, single-faced Immortis Guard. Multiple souls whirred together for their value, still experienced and thinking, but ultimately more artificial and less tolerant of individual genius or creativity.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

The newest Stormcast episode reveals some interesting lore behind the Ossiarchs. In addition, some rules were mentioned, like how one of the sub-factions is made up of fiery skeletons that explode when they die, the Petrifex focuses on monsters/constructs and grants a +1 save to all units, and the harvester regenerates units around it.

No joke: If you have any interest in the army, or hate them but have an open mind, watch the new Stormcast episode. It's amazing.

This army speaks to my soul (s). It's everything I want in an army and takes my personal views on life and translates them to my hobby tables.

Watch the video.

If you are a D&D fan, think Lawful Evil. Cold. Precise. Honorable. Trustworthy. Sincere. Motivated. Logical. Ruthless.

Love it.

Absolutely love it.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Indecisive said:

The battletomes  of last year were made with 2.0 in mind, but there is a clear sort of power and design jump that started off in 2019. I mean compare SCE/NH in their disjointed rules design to this year's stuff especially FEC and onward.

I can't blame people for being a bit unhappy with those prior books.

Yeah,  the bonereapers sound like a large power jump as well.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Indecisive said:

The battletomes  of last year were made with 2.0 in mind, but there is a clear sort of power and design jump that started off in 2019.

Exactly. When deepkin came out they were the only army that could fight first in combat. Now there are multiple that can make units fight last or fight first. One (slaanesh) can effectively ignore the idoneth ability. 

People don't realise how bad a spot the deepkin range are in because one list does fairly well at tournaments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Whilst they could do with a bit of a spit & polish I sometimes wonder with Nighthaunt is if the issue with them is that people, certainly at tournaments perhaps, are playing on boring tables.

if you’re playing games on much densely terrained boards, streets of death games, games with multiple vertical levels, games set in cave systems etc then you can get a lot more out of them

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HollowHills said:

It's interesting as well because normally with these boxes the value is about 50 / 50. But in this case the Bonereapers half is clearly worth a lot more than the ogres. 

I'd want to pay a lot less than half. So I wonder if its better to buy a full set and sell the skeles, or to buy an ogre set off someone. 

Looncurse also wasn't close to 50/50, although not anywhere near as egregious as Feast of Bones. People blamed that on the Gloomspite models being so new, less of a discount. With this box, that logic is completely blown out of the water as the Ogors get a single updated model and the Death an entire new model line except for the Archai. As much as people don't seem to want to admit it, Destruction just seems to be the red-headed step child of AoS, getting the short end of the stick at every turn. 

Assuming flat 20% discount, 25% price increase on the Tyrant because GW, and pricing for Bonereapers equivalent to other death units of the same size, the Death half is worth $152 and the Ogor half $116. For equal savings off the value of the models, the Ogor player is paying $60 and the Bonereaper player $96, each saving $56. Valuing the Tyrant at his current resin value, we're looking at $56 for the Ogor half and a flat $100 for the Bonereapers, each player saving $52.

Edited by Intrinsic
  • Like 1

I think Destruction will get its own spot under the light. Before AoS 2.0 Death was totally in disarray and now they have a soup tome and 2 solid allegiances plus OBR coming soon. Sure you can complain how much Nighthaunt are viable, etc. but at least they are a full range of new miniatures.

Gordrakk super ram has been mentioned multiple times and I’m ready to bet Destruction is coming next. As an allegiance is also the one that leaves more space to new armies never saw before as they don’t have to remain in the greenskinz or Ogor theme, they could have insects or anything else with destructive power. I’m sure in the next 2/3 years we will be surprised.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm not sure but this image make me think: will those minis be sold by units of 20 making the deal of the Feast of bones less appealing?

OBR-Hero-Oct21-MortekGuard9dbg.jpg

1 minute ago, Panzer said:

I doubt it. GW doesn't really sell many boxes with 20 models, not even for horde armies.

It was said again in the most recent one on Bonereapers too. Though its clear that GW isn't making it a full link. For example Glomspite was released for Destruction right in the middle of the "Death" focus period in the story. Meanwhile Slaves to Darkness are likely going to land with some noise as they get new models through warcry and get a new tome next year even though that would be during the Death cycle (or at the near start of the Destruction cycle). 

That said I'd welcome Destruction getting some attention, of all the four Grand Alliances they've done worse. Gloomspite aside they've had very little, Orruks lost a chunk of models; meanwhile Ogors are only getting one new model - though recombining the two forces is going to at least boost what people can use in a single force. So giving them some lore, story and attention focus is going to be good. Hopefully GW can then release some new fresh stuff for the Orruks and Ogors and heck perhaps even a new surprise army. 

5 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Exactly. When deepkin came out they were the only army that could fight first in combat. Now there are multiple that can make units fight last or fight first. One (slaanesh) can effectively ignore the idoneth ability. 

People don't realise how bad a spot the deepkin range are in because one list does fairly well at tournaments. 

Wasn´t there an FAQ which said Fight First and Fight Last both cancel each other out?

• Like 2