The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Ah, that explains things :D

Could you check if there are arcanites or bloodbound in there as well? If so, then its just leftover database code. 

No, in Azyr you can only see tags that they are available on the GH19... but Gitmob was removed months ago...

I suspect it's probably there to accommodate the inevitable AoS warscroll for the Beastgrave wolf riders warband (which is probably only a few weeks out as one of the warbands to get background in the rulebook) rather than anything beyond that... for now.

Edited by sandlemad

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Skyrgots has always seemed to be a bit like skyskaven - ergo neat ideas that are more thrown out there to encourage someone to go buy a load of two armies and build their own conversions based on the KO models (esp since a lot of those sky factions are described as having gained their skyships by stealing and modifying KO ones). 

They might also be the sort of things that could be fleshed out if GW ever does a warmaster scale game for AoS or a Man-O-War style game. Ergo games where big skyships and dragons and leviathans and such work within the game well. 

You mean Skyven?

I also don't think we'll get more skyship factions. But I'd love to.

12 minutes ago, Tenshi said:

I also don't think we'll get more skyship factions. But I'd love to.

I'm not so sure, maybe not for a bit but I could see at least one faction in the main game getting something along those lines in the not too distant future.

I mean the fact they added a whole section on aerial battles to the last core book suggests it's at least something they'd like to explore.

Plus as the two we always think about, Skaven or Grotz, are classic Dwarf adversaries they would be a perfect foil for the KO, who knows maybe when their line gets refreshed or even just a new Battletome we'll get a lot more of an idea.

just in terms of making the game more 'cinematic' and getting more some big, cool, crazy models on the table it's a pretty decent way to go anyway.

saying that I'd also love them to do a more epic sized game with sea- and air-ships but we'll see about that.

I don't think Grotbag Scuttlers are a stretch at all. We have two types of Orcs and two types of Ogors, and GW has very consciously left themselves an open space for the Evil Sun worshiping Gitmob Gobbos who enjoy a bit of outdoors action vs the Manky Gloomspite Gits lurking in caves worshiping the Bad Moon.

Just being Gobbos with a tan isn't enough to hang a full faction on though, but add in Airships for the goblin subfaction that always leaned more towards tinkering, artillery, and Wolf Riding, and there you go. They'll probably be a bit stronger and braver than Gloomspite also, as Moonclan were always the individually weakest and most craven brand of Goblin in old fantasy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Seraphon by all accounts are a popular faction that sells well and shows up a lot at tournaments, despite their dated unit line and ancient armybook. There's no reason for GW to get rid of them. Their battleforce box last year also sold out almost instantly, as I recall.

Plus honestly, the model range isn't that bad. There's a lot of finecast and old cruft, but also a good number of modern plastic kits. The big impressive kits are all solid, Stegadons, Bastilladons, Carnasaurs, and the Flyers are their most modern kits, along with the Skink Starpriest.

The things that need updated are primarily the characters (Slaan, Kroak, Astrolith, Skink Priest, Sunblood, Starseer, and Eternity Warden are all finecast) and the extremely dated Saurus unit range. The Kroxigors and Salamanders/Razardons are also still finecast and could use new sculpts.

I think the problem with Seraphon is just GW struggling to know what direction to take them in combined with the model range being all over the place and not easy to update.

All that said I fully expect we'll get their updated armybook early to mid next year.

I always thought Seraphon look a bit gimmicky and a bit out of place in the mortal realms. Maybe GW think theyre a bit outdated now and will slowly phase them out?

Saw a pricing sheet from a FLGS employee and it looks like the Free Cities Start Collecting kits will be $100, which to my knowledge is a new high, at least for AoS going off of the gameworkshop store.  I'm not sure how that compares to the others nowadays but for the Greywater Fastness one its a 1/3 savings (basically get the heroes for free) which is always nice but seems like less savings than you normally get.

Edit: Did the math on the loser elf one and its about 40% savings so more in line with the other SC.

Edited by Forrix

Many people say that the Lizards are "tied to the Old World". I understand why they say that, but honestly, it's a meaningless observation. They are the same guys. The Slann sent their temple ships to the Heavens and they dreamed the Seraphon into existence or some such thing. 

You can expect them to just poop into existence the same Kroxigors and Saurians they remember. The Aztec Lizardmen aesthetic doesn't have to go. Also, it'd be a hell of a project to update the ENTIRE lizard line of minis with a different feel.

6 hours ago, Overread said:

Exactly. Heck the way the Mortal Realms works it actually throws up huge problems in some very simple areas. For example consider trade. In the Old World it was easy to assume that most traded with minted coins and gold, gemstones etc.... A very simple analogy to our own world and many of the items would have held relative similar values. A Diamond the size of a fist would be darn valuable. 

In the Mortal Realms there's a whole realm made of metal. Gold, iron, steel, tin, bronze - in the Realm of Metal all those things are laying around on the surface; they even have rust storms not dust storms (how on earth anything survives breathing in a rust storm is a miracle - you'd think the lung cancer rates would be through the roof). So this one realm alone already throws up huge issues with basic trade. How can gold or even minted coins have value when the metal is as common as mud to that realm, which then trades with the others. Indeed how can the other realms trade back to the metal realm? Well the realm of beasts likely trades back a lot of food supplies to a metal realm. So now we have to deal with the concept of huge value swings. Meat might be pretty cheap in the Beast Realm - but super valuable in the metal and vis versa for base metals. 

However how to you organise trade so that one market doesn't flood the other. How do you organise trade disputes. Then lets throw on top that there are only specific points (Realmgates) where this trade can be conducted; how do you then have many vast kingdoms operating. Some must be trading only locally, not through the realm gates. So now how do you avoid supertraders? Why aren't the KO, who appear to have a tight monopoly on a lot of transporting, utterly rich beyond words. 

The Realms are fantastical, but at the same time so far removed that even a basic concept like trade has to be worked out a bit. Even if what gets worked out isn't "perfect" it needs structuring. There's already Realmstone, which appears to be far too valuable for regular trading; there's also UR-Gold which is in the same boat. Both good for trading at the kingdom to kingdom level, but rather impractical for your larger traders and citizens. 

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. It's not that we're obsessed with death and taxes, it's just that it was easy to imagine taxation, trade and customs in the Old World. GW didn't have to flesh out every village and city from Sylvania to Brionne because it was obvious. Even Cathay,  Nippon and Araby were very obvious places to imagine. And you could go nuts if you wanted.

But now, we do need some information on what Kelly and the rest have imagined for the Mortal Realms. I can imagine, for example, some Ghur floating man with a strange Middle Eastern accent saying "Azyr meteor coins are no good out here, I need something more real!". Azyr credits may be fiat money backed by the might of Sigmar's hammer, but out there, Sigmar's might means nothing. I need more little things like these.

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Saw a pricing sheet from a FLGS employee and it looks like the Free Cities Start Collecting kits will be $100, which to my knowledge is a new high, at least for AoS going off of the gameworkshop store.  I'm not sure how that compares to the others nowadays but for the Greywater Fastness one its a 1/3 savings (basically get the heroes for free) which is always nice but seems like less savings than you normally get.

Both sets will cost 80€, which is in line with the SC! sets for Kharadrons, SCE Vanguard and Fyreslayers. 

7 minutes ago, JangutzKhan said:

I always thought Seraphon look a bit gimmicky and a bit out of place in the mortal realms. Maybe GW think theyre a bit outdated now and will slowly phase them out?

I can't see that happening, as I said they're popular and sell well. Kids in particular love the guys, you don't have to go any further than "dinosaurs" to make the sell to a lot of the younger demographic.

What will probably get overhauled is their fluff, I think their 1st armybook just didn't resonate with a lot of people, and I know GW on social media repeatedly directs people asking about Seraphon to that one Malign Portents short story that demonstrates working spawning pools and more pro-active Skink/Saurus characters.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, Overread said:

No a squeak yet, not even any hints of the models save for potential images in the photo hints GW releases each week - though they can be super hard to predict what they will be. Eg the lizard skin turned out to be a cloak of dead lizard hung over a space marines shoulder rather than any beast or monster or seraphon lizard.

I thought as they were shown in the rule book that they would be released quite quickly, heres hoping before Christmas. Also, I'm hoping that the Varanguard guantlet rumour mill isnt Spire tyrants, and is actually more Slaves/Everchosen. 

4 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Both sets will cost 80€, which is in line with the SC! sets for Kharadrons, SCE Vanguard and Fyreslayers. 

Then they might have adjusted their currency conversion since those sets are $95 not $100. Looking at the KO SC* they have a savings of 41% so in line with Anvilgard but more savings than Greywater.

*Since Fyreslayers is weird with the Magmadroth kit not available separately anymore and the SCE Vanguard has some odd unit sizes compared to the regular kits.

6 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I've said it before AT TEDIOUS LENGTH but there's a fix for Seraphon here I'd be happy to flesh out if anyone from GW would like to pay me to spend more than 5 minutes thinking about it...

That's cool. Lone Saurians gone rogue, like those from the Dragon Isles back in the Old World. I'm also loving the new Sotek-like feathered serpent.

GW should embrace the absolute crazyness that is Aztec myth. Go nuts with it. Own it. Not move away from it. "Doesn't fit AoS" is not a good argument because anything can fit AoS. If slick fantasy armoured Marines, puffy hats and extravagant staches, weird fish elves and steampunk flying dwarves can all be part of the same universe, I'm saying Aztec Lizardmen are a perfect fit.

1 hour ago, madmac said:

What will probably get overhauled is their fluff, I think their 1st armybook just didn't resonate with a lot of people, and I know GW on social media repeatedly directs people asking about Seraphon to that one Malign Portents short story that demonstrates working spawning pools and more pro-active Skink/Saurus characters.

It's a weird scenario, basically a tacit acknowledgemnt that a fundamental aspect of their background has changed significantly and in a way that seems directly in response to fan's pretty widepsread dislike of their 1st ed. background. It was part of the same Malign Portents realignment of the background but this new stuff is basically confined to that one short story.

Either way I think there's 0% chance of them being squatted. They've been infamously popular for years, their rules have always been at least fairly powerful, they have obvious widespread appeal (dinosaurs riding dinosaurs),  they already had a unique GW-specific visual design (no one else doing Mesoamerican ancient alien lizardmen in this fashion), they have nearly a dozen plastic kits (of which easily half a good and modern), a lot of their kits have been transferred to round bases, and they received a two page illustrated spread in the main rulebook. They're far, far from the firing line.

The basic saurus warriors could do with a refresh and I would not be surprised to see some of their finecast characters/small mixed units disappear but there's seriously no way they're going anywhere.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Chikout said:

You won't hear another word about bonereapers until the preorder announcement which will be on the 13th or 20th of October after more marines and phoenix rises.

Regarding the lore , I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with lore and trade in AOS when it didn't seem to matter in the old world. I l know more about how the realm of death functions as a society than I ever did about Khemri.

Can anyone of the top of their head day what the major export of Altdorf was? I know that Hammerhall Gyran exports water. 

I know that the gloomspite gits covet glass objects because they don't have the ability to make them themselves. Does anyone know anything similar about old world goblins? 

As someone who was around for the early days of Warhammer and 40k , I feel that AOS is in a better state  lorewise than either of those games was after 3 years.

Warhammer Fantasy didn't exactly need to go into logistics because for the most part the setting was medieval and you can extrapolate what their trade would be like from that. Age of Sigmar on the other hand is full of high fantasy dangerous realms and fantastic landscapes with magic in their very core.  I can look at the WHFB Empire and figure out they must have farms like in real life. How people grow food in a place like Chamon is an entirely different question. Do the people living there consist on a diet of excessively enriched grain due to all the metal? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Do the people living there consist on a diet of excessively enriched grain due to all the metal? 

Yes. No. Maybe. It depends on how far from the centre of the realm you are.

There is really small difference between trade in the Old World and Mortal Realms. the only difference is that besides regular wares like copper and wheat you have also things like glimmerfish, sun-stones, wheat with slightly unnatural properties (e.g. eating bread baked from it can heal wounds).

tl;dr It works like in normal world, just some of the wares are different. Simple. I think this webcomic sums it best.

AoM_010_CosmosCattle.png

EDIT: And maybe we really should move this discussion somewhere else.

Edited by michu
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ranz said:

Well, bonesplitterz are sold as THE monster killer army and the biggest and meanest hero monsters out there (read VLoZD or Frostlord on stonehorn) can be ethereal with an amulet, so I think it is really fitting for them to be able to bypass ethereal. 

I totally agree that this was the intent. Rules as written however, the ethereal amulet does not actually grant 'ethereal' keyword. It just states that the save of the bearer cannot be modified. I expect an FAQ update almost immediately after release to cover this.

In an ideal world this would be a hint that GW is going to go back through the books and begin using generic keywords to denote effects like MTG but they seem to be strangely reluctant to streamline some of the rules bloat by using easy to remember keywords. 

By another strange twist the Drakkfoot ability counters all ward/shrug saves but also technically counters Morathis Iron Heart ability by forcing wounds to occur to models that would otherwise ignore them (morathis ability specifically states she takes them but ignores them). Expecting another FAQ for this as well.

Edited by TheCovenLord

6 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

As for rumours, has anyone seen the Luminarch somewhere in CoS art? It has not been rebased, and is not seen in the pictures I can find so far. I have a sneaking suspicion about it.

Just a follow up - in the latest Community article (the Free Cities Primer) they specifically mention the Hurricanum kit in the last sentence or two, so you are pretty clearly safe getting that kit.

• Like 2