Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 minutes ago, michu said:

Look's like Grashnak's might be the first ever Underworlds warband anyone would consider using outside of in a friendly or narrative game. 140 points for a Bray-Shaman with ablative wounds/Heardstone sacrifices, and an amazing +1 to hit debuff that affects any attacking units, they're a no-brainer for Beastmen, and something worth considering allying into most other Chaos armies.

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Savagebolt3rd

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Look's like Grashnak's might be the first ever Underworlds warband anyone would consider using outside of in a friendly or narrative game. 140 points for a Bray-Shaman with ablative wounds/Heardstone sacrifices, and an amazing +1 to hit debuff that affects any attacking units, they're a no-brainer for Beastmen, and something worth considering allying into most other Chaos armies.

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Savagebolt3rd

The age of the Blight Kings has come...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Part of Skaet's Hunt Warscroll leaked - we know that they have SYLVANETH keyword.

Seems pretty specific that these Kurnothi are just Oakenbrow-affiliated though. I suppose if we take the Moonclan example as precedent - where the keywords refelcted the upcoming release - the amount of Sylvaneth-connected stuff with them suggests that the Kurnothi aren't due for imminent release as a larger faction. Not the biggest surprise considering we know of at least four battletomes due before then.

EDIT: perhaps doubly weird considering Heartwood is supposed to be the glade that's all about Kurnoth.

Edited by sandlemad

That explains their lamentiri. But I think that Kurnothi being part of Sylvaneth is not a bad thing  - how much design space Tree-aelves have? Now we know what kind of direction Sylvaneth can take later. Tree-aelves branch out ( yep ) into Beast-aelves.

EDIT: But that means Wanderers players will be disappointed. They thought Kurnothi could merge with their army...

Edited by michu

39 minutes ago, michu said:

Either Kurnothi will be just an Sylvaneth expansion or that warscroll ability is a temporary solution until Kurnothi will get an army.

My money is on temporary solution, especially when even the community article sounds kinda hand wavy about it. They can't have the Wanderer keyword or they'll be part of Cities of Sigmar, and even Wanderers probably will have a different keyword anyway if they are included in a future Kurnothi tome.

I do expect they'll be allied closely with Sylvaneth when they come out, but not in the same battletome, for now.

Edited by madmac

37 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Well, we now know how to land enough damage 1 hits to sink a Gotrek. :(;) 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Forrix said:

Ghurks big flabby butt will actually be good in combat

Edited by JudgeX83

I don't think Kurnothi are an army or ever will be. We already have a lot of aelves/aelves looking armies - Sylvaneth, DoK, Deepkin + Free Cities stuff and we know Light Aelves and Malerion Aelves are coming sooner or later. I don't think that every warband needs to expanded into full faction. 

• Like 3

Full faction? No. Diversification of Sylvaneth range? Sure.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's a placeholder. Kurnothi are Sylvaneth allies like Fyreslayers and Kharadron. They are protagonist of this new box, it has to mean something.

Edited by Mungrun

GW has said from the first time Kurnothi were revealed that were a first look at a new race. Whether anyone personally likes or wants them to come, it is still going to happen and has a lot more likelihood at this point than Light or Dark Aelves that up to now exists in lore snippets only.  (And I fully expect we will get those also, but there is a lot more evidence for Kurnothi, as it stands.)

I'm not a big fan of Bone Reapers, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming up for Pre-order in October. I simply don't understand this mindset of "I don't like it so it's definitely not a thing."

Edit: Seriously though, in terms of speculation, with so many confirmed battletomes coming out plus the holiday crunch (Cities, Orruks, Bone Reapers, Mawtribes, Sisters, More Marines) Kurnothi could be the next big AoS release and still 5-6 months away at this point.

Edited by madmac

So for sylvaneth you can pick between:

180 points

Ylthari with Guardians: A plain d3 damage spell equivalent to the old arcane bolt, meh  ranged bow attack, squishy melee. Ylthari has 5 wounds.

120 points

Skaeth's Wild Hunt: Spell to buff any sylvaneth melee unit with +1 wound roll, 1 crappy bow attack, 1 ok 9 inch javelin attack, squishy melee, Skaeth has 2 wounds

Edited by Zanzou

27 minutes ago, madmac said:

GW has said from the first time Kurnothi were revealed that were a first look at a new race. Whether anyone personally likes or wants them to come, it is still going to happen and has a lot more likelihood at this point than Light or Dark Aelves that up to now exists in lore snippets only.  (And I fully expect we will get those also, but there is a lot more evidence for Kurnothi, as it stands.)

I'm not a big fan of Bone Reapers, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming up for Pre-order in October. I simply don't understand this mindset of "I don't like it so it's definitely not a thing."

Edit: Seriously though, in terms of speculation, with so many confirmed battletomes coming out plus the holiday crunch (Cities, Orruks, Bone Reapers, Mawtribes, Sisters, More Marines) Kurnothi could be the next big AoS release and still 5-6 months away at this point.

agree, I think Kurnothi is going to be a new army in the near future

also there where a lot rumor engine pics that look very wood elves not that long ago with the fur cloak and glade shield

optimistically they may be the AoS Christmas release for this year once GW finish up their current slate of battletome that haven't been release yet.

1 minute ago, novakai said:

optimistically they may be the AoS Christmas release for this year once GW finish up their current slate of battletome that haven't been release yet.

As an elf/ sylvaneth owner, please not another new elf faction right now.  It is 100% Slaves to Darkness turn for a battletome... All this warcry stuff yet StD are still broken!

17 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Skaeth's Wild Hunt: ...1 crappy bow attack, 1 ok 9 inch javelin attack, squishy melee, Skaeth has 2 wounds

Where are you getting these bits from? All I saw in the article was the spell and the Fleet of Foot rule.

23 minutes ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Where are you getting these bits from? All I saw in the article was the spell and the Fleet of Foot rule.

Leaked through a low-resolution image that was originally uploaded to warhammer community. If you click on it, everything on the warscroll is legible:

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Share3rdg.jpg

Edited by Zanzou

Race !=faction. They don't have Kurnothi keyword, just plain Sylvaneth. If GW will ever expand on this new race, it will be a Sylvaneth subfaction. Given that the Sylvaneth battletome has just been released I wouldn't expect that to happen in the near future.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

Race !=faction. They don't have Kurnothi keyword, just plain Sylvaneth. If GW will ever expand on this new race, it will be a Sylvaneth subfaction. Given that the Sylvaneth battletome has just been released I wouldn't expect that to happen in the near future.

depends though, since they have change the keywords of Underworld warbands when tomes of that said faction have been releases. they do this so it doesn't give away their plans of the future but allows them to be playable on the TT without problems

example would be that they added the Gloomspite keyword for Zarbag when the tome was releases

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

Leaked through a low-resolution image that was originally uploaded to warhammer community. If you click on it, everything on the warscroll is legible:

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Share3rdg.jpg

Ooo, ta!

If every warhammer underworld faction would get his own expanded army/subfaction then we are going to see a resurgence also of Gitmobs? Interesting to see which temporary keywords they give to them.

Really unlikely we are going to see anything new before next year although. As someone said above they are already quite packed with releases for this year. Wanderers could still be merged again in Sylvaneth next year. Maybe they are going to create appendix tomes a bit like Space Marines are getting now? That would be cool, imagine all subfactions that could get such expansion...

Honestly I don't think people should pin hopes on GW using Warbands from Underworld to test armies for full releases. I think if such things happen they are a VERY long way of. Underworld lets GW play around with the realm system and the fact that many core factions will have amny subfactions in different realms that are quite unique. Dwarves from the realm of metal will behave and look very different to those from shadow or beast lands. Meanwhile the realms are big enough that there will be a myriad of smaller factions around. Some might even have very large kingdoms and territories, but might never make it into the full game as a major army. 

56 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly I don't think people should pin hopes on GW using Warbands from Underworld to test armies for full releases. I think if such things happen they are a VERY long way of. Underworld lets GW play around with the realm system and the fact that many core factions will have amny subfactions in different realms that are quite unique. Dwarves from the realm of metal will behave and look very different to those from shadow or beast lands. Meanwhile the realms are big enough that there will be a myriad of smaller factions around. Some might even have very large kingdoms and territories, but might never make it into the full game as a major army. 

Yeah this is very much what I've been thinking. The original shadespire miniatures were designed as more dynamic models you could slot into existing units but after they decided to make those models the basis of shadespire that role changed. The newer underworlds miniatures seem to have been designed specifically as warbands I think as time goes on we'll see more warbands like the kurnothi where they use them as a chance to explore some interesting bit of the realms without the need to develop a full army. Obviously I could be completely wrong.

24 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Yeah this is very much what I've been thinking. The original shadespire miniatures were designed as more dynamic models you could slot into existing units but after they decided to make those models the basis of shadespire that role changed. The newer underworlds miniatures seem to have been designed specifically as warbands I think as time goes on we'll see more warbands like the kurnothi where they use them as a chance to explore some interesting bit of the realms without the need to develop a full army. Obviously I could be completely wrong.

They did this with Warcry aswell, with  chaos warbands. I expect more of this in future maybe with other alliances.

Edited by Aleser

29 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Yeah this is very much what I've been thinking. The original shadespire miniatures were designed as more dynamic models you could slot into existing units but after they decided to make those models the basis of shadespire that role changed. The newer underworlds miniatures seem to have been designed specifically as warbands 

That does seem to have been the deliberate design behind some of the original S1 miniatures. Can't recall where it came up (a Stormcast episode?) but the liberators and bloodreavers were intended as what we would now call easy-to-build kits but then then an opportunity for a different game was brought up and so they were shifted into that as the rules were written. The S2 and what we have seen of the S3 warbands are clearly purpose-designed for use in Underworlds, with more variety in the models and things that don't slot neatly into pre-existing units.