The Rumour Thread

Book looks great if that article is any indication. I really like the buffet style approach! I really enjoy flexible battletomes and am looking forward to creating some spicy brews with this one. 

For me the biggest bit is the confirmation of significant warscroll updates. The biggest obstacle for this book IMO is the fact that so many of the warscrolls are outdated. Knowing that there has been a substantial attempt to correct this is pretty huge.

29 minutes ago, michu said:

GW already said that Orruks has the same bonus.

Which is a bit eh... It's appropriate for CoS as they're to some degree the baseline of the mortal realms and attuned to the spells of the different realms, etc, so they should be using the standard endless spells and using them well. With the bonesplitters/ironjawz, they're so distinctly associated with Ghur (I know orks get everywhere but still) that this feels more half-assed than for CoS.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 2

All the people on Facebook asking for new Cities of Sigmar sculpts are missing the point of this army, IMHO.

This army is designed to appeal to older gamers, converters, retro collectors and/or the general niche crowd.

A model release would railroad the aesthetic so as to say "Cities of Sigmar is specifically this...", rather than "Cities of Sigmar can be, aesthetically speaking, pretty much whatever you want it to be".

While one upside of new sculpts would be new warscrolls to convert your models to fit, I don't think we'll be hurting from a lack of warscrolls in this faction.

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 21

3 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

All the people on Facebook asking for new Cities of Sigmar sculpts are missing the point of this army, IMHO.

This army is designed to appeal to older gamers, converters, retro collectors and/or the general niche crowd.

A model release would railroad the aesthetic so as to say "Cities of Sigmar is specifically this...", rather than "Cities of Sigmar can be, aesthetically speaking, pretty much whatever you want it to be".

While one upside of new sculpts would be new warscrolls to convert your models to fit, I don't think we'll be hurting from a lack of warscrolls in this faction.

100% agree. My only complain is the lack of (traditional) war-machines.  I can only count 3: Helblaster Volley Gun, Helstorm Rocket Battery and Celestar Ballista.
I'm not saying that this is not enough but knowing that the Greywater Fastness cannons are fake...it saddens me.

• Like 1

Eh, we can always convert one, Peachy showed one made out of stormcast crossbow and Volley Gun (or old cannon) wheels. And rules are still here with mercenary companies - only bad thing (and pretty big honestly) that the Greywater Fastness rules won't work on it.

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

100% agree. My only complain is the lack of (traditional) war-machines.  I can only count 3: Helblaster Volley Gun, Helstorm Rocket Battery and Celestar Ballista.
I'm not saying that this is not enough but knowing that the Greywater Fastness cannons are fake...it saddens me.

I just noticed that both cannon variants were removed, I thought the human one stuck around.  I also noticed that the Cogsmith and the Gyrocopter and bomber are listed under Free People in the webstore :P.

1 minute ago, Forrix said:

I just noticed that both cannon variants were removed, I thought the human one stuck around.  I also noticed that the Cogsmith and the Gyrocopter and bomber are listed under Free People in the webstore :P.

Yeah Cannon are one of those "surely GW will be returning these at some point" models - its especially frustrating that they put them into the mercenaries group and then took the models away not a month later. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Overread said:

Yeah Cannon are one of those "surely GW will be returning these at some point" models - its especially frustrating that they put them into the mercenaries group and then took the models away not a month later. 

May be another serious case of lack of communication/ understanding between corporate, rule writers, designers, artists.

Edited by Zanzou

1 minute ago, Zanzou said:

May be another serious case of lack of communication/ understanding between corporate, rule writers, designers, artists.

Yeah I put it down to the internal segregation of departments and possible some internal power struggles going on within GW. Whislt it might keep the leaks and such down it also plays a mess with their products at times. Heck when you hear that people in fairly decent positions at GW were shocked when AoS first launched and had on idea it was coming that tells you there's some oddities in how they distribute information between teams

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mutton said:

Hopefully some kind of regular cannon is still in the book. I'd hate for my multitude of great cannons and flame cannons to sit around gathering dust (like they currently are). Not sure what I'd even be able to proxy them as otherwise.

No Model No Rules likely means there's no cannon in the book. 

However I'd hang onto them - the chances that AoS runs its course without dwarves and such getting a new cannon is very tiny. 

4 hours ago, Ironbreaker said:

I still don't understand why the got rid of duardin artillery. Do they not want me to be able to play pure duardin?

To be blunt?  Probably not.  Duardin are (wisely) being relegated to a small facet of the conglomerated Order races.  They were apparently not interested in selling those models anymore.

Playing all-Duardin will in the future probably be sort of like playing all-Troggoths in a Gloomspite list.  You can certainly do it, but it probably won't be the most competitive option, and you will almost certainly have a lot of duplicate units/models.

In the setting, most "traditional" Duardin are going to be living among humans and Aelves in the AoS settings.  Enclaves of only Duardin are pretty rare - so rare that they really don't need much representation as models that GW sells and promotes.

8 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Which means all of us interested in it need to buy it and run it and prove to GW that it is a viable army worth supporting.

Can't say I'm surprised that GW weren't interested. Cities is a niche interest. Didn't Josh Reynolds recently post that his Eight Lamentations novel didn't sell well?

That would be a shame if so. I thought the main book was great and the short stories that accompanied it were too. 

• Like 2

Cities of Sigmar looks like a really nice book, unfortunately so far has also the look to be a one-off book before forgetting altogether about all those models and subfactions. I hope I’m wrong and I hope AoS in 2020 or 2021 will get the same treatment as 40k with smaller updates and older models replacements. It could be the right moment to drop a cannon.

Also I don’t think it was ever mentioned that the Ogors battletome would come out this year, it could still be next year as outside of Carrion Empire there’s usually a delay between book and duel box.

• Sad 1

I wonder if BL has had trouble shifting non-release tied books as of late. The early AoS novels were not bad, but they were VERY Stormcast heavy and very battle focused so they lacked a lot of worldbuilding as most of it was "might stormcast being mighty and beating up chaos". Now that's a gross simplification and there were many allies through that such as the Sylvaneth - however I think it tainted some against AoS and the novels in general. 

It might be that the stigma has stuck a bit and that thus books tied to battletomes and launches have done better (by association); whilst something like the new Gotrek stuff could be doing far better based on his past and fanbase. 

Without any hard numbers its really tricky to tell. Hopefully the lore parts of the Cities books and the general increasing Battletomes and things like the novellas will steadily push back and get the AoS lore far more popular in general. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mutton said:

Hopefully some kind of regular cannon is still in the book. I'd hate for my multitude of great cannons and flame cannons to sit around gathering dust (like they currently are). Not sure what I'd even be able to proxy them as otherwise.

I really want to be able to use my cannons as well, but it would not be a shock (and I'd support it) if removing them was part of the overall design philosophy of AoS not wanting to be a static, gunline, unfun kind of old style wargame.

• Confused 1