Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, michu said:

@Overread You can still buy them, just without WHU content.

Aye but you can't use them in WHU without the cards for the units at least. 

It makes me think that GW might be launching a combined card pack; a single purchase that has all the cards in one box (including the character cards for the units). That would be a smart move as it also cleans up the whole "gotta get em all" issue because of how GW put universal cards into specific character packs. 

No, I thinks it's rather a rotation like in MtG. With Beastgrave we would have, like, 24 warbands? WHU got a little too big for beginner lately.

• Like 1

I can see them rotation the core cards but not the warbands. MTG can get away rotating a lot of its cards because in the end when you buy a card its ready to use. For Underworlds those models require prep and painting. Furthermore GW can expect a Skaven player to buy the Skaven Underworld models and possibly only those models. So it wouldn't make sense to retire whole races from the game. The only faction that could do that is stormcast becaue they've had several releases - all the others have only one (save I think Khorne got two? )

19 minutes ago, Aipaca said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/09/02/tales-of-forbidden-power-blood-tendergw-homepage-post-4/

New story on community website features a Firebelly, maybe their days aren't as numbered as was generally thought?

Edit: And maneaters!

See now the fact that it's just maneaters and firebelly is curious. I'd like to take it as reassurance that they're staying but then as part of Forbidden Power this feels more closely tied to the mercenary company in the GHB.

It is probably the longest and most consistent bit of fiction featuring ogres and especially ogre dialogue that AoS has seen so far.

Edited by sandlemad

8 minutes ago, michu said:

No, I thinks it's rather a rotation like in MtG. With Beastgrave we would have, like, 24 warbands? WHU got a little too big for beginner lately.

Yeah, I remember seeing a random rumor in the last few weeks that GW was getting ready to axe the first season warbands.

It makes a certain amount of sense, not just because of  bloat but also option/power creep and the constraints of trying to continually refresh and innovate the game while also trying to keep first iteration warbands competitive.

At a certain point the oldest warbands either need a complete refresh (which would require new cards at minimum) or retirement. I don't think it was a huge problem in season 2, but Beastgrave may be another big jump in mechanics.

Edited by madmac

This is clearly tied to the mercenaries in Forbidden Powers - which is shaky protection as the Dwarves saw with the loss of their Cannon. Although the idea of dwarven Cannon is something that I think we will see again released by GW one day we've no date not expectation of having them come back soon. That is unless GW was repackaging them into a multi-gun box

Quick email update on the Battlemage/Empire Wizard box. The the service rep specifically saying to stay tuned to the community site for rereleased models plus the fact the wizards weren't put on last chance to buy with the other kits axed ahead of Cities of Sigmar could suggest the wizards will be coming back in a new box with the book's release. :) 

nBq0q8l.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

List of confirmed "safe" Cities of Sigmar kits from the Open Day article and photos:

• General/Battlemage on Griffon
  • Freeguild Guard
  • Freeguild Handgunners/Crossbowmen
  • Demigryph Knights
  • Pistoliers/Outriders
  • Steam Tank
  • Lumminark/Hurricanum (components used as scenery)
  • Cogsmith
  • Ironbreakers/Irondrakes
  • Nomad Prince
  • Wild Riders/Sisters of the Thorn
  • Eternal Guard/Wildwood Rangers

Those are all probably safe, but the poisoned wind mortar team in the pictured in my Skaven battletome is telling me not to count on photos or any thing else until I have the book in my hand and see warscrolls and pitchbattle profiles for myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michu said:

@Overread You can still buy them, just without WHU content.

If this portends the removal of season one content from the game, my purchases for Underworlds are done. Full stop. I've purchased quite literally every single product in the line (and in many cases two copies so that my gf and I each had access to the cards for our basement games). To think that a third of it (once season 3 hits) will be dead only about a year after release is awful. I don't buy pricey GW product with the expectation of a 12 month shelf life. I expect many, many years, if not a decade or more, of life. 

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Quick email update on the Battlemage/Empire Wizard box. The the service rep specifically saying to stay tuned to the community site for rereleased models plus the fact the wizards weren't put on last chance to buy with the other kits axed ahead of Cities of Sigmar could suggest the wizards will be coming back in a new box with the book's release. :) 

nBq0q8l.jpg

Good to hear, though it shouldn't really be a surprise considering that unlike all the other kits that went on LCTB, they had already been repackaged for AoS.

My suspicion is that they're being repackaged (again) to remove the points cost from the back of the current box. Can't think of any other current kit  with the same issue. I can see the rationale for why they did this at the time, with that wave of allied detachment boxes, but it was always going to come back and bite them.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 1

Its a personal guess of mine for a while that GW would rotate the season 1 generic cards out of 'standard' when season 3 hit.

4 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

Its a personal guess of mine for a while that GW would rotate the season 1 generic cards out of 'standard' when season 3 hit.

I was grudgingly becoming okay with the X-Wing model where you need to buy warbands you don't want in order to get all the cards you want(though I like most of the models well enough alternate AoS models, it was no big deal) as long as they would stay in play the same as X-Wing. But if they're also going to combine the Magic/Heroclix/CCG thing of rotating out sets, I'm probably going to be out of WHU. Might pick up the stand alone releases for models I like, but not more core sets or packs with the cards, which means I'll probably be more picky about which of those I pick up since there won't be cards to push me over the edge of buy models I'm not entirely crazy about.

21 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If this portends the removal of season one content from the game, my purchases for Underworlds are done. Full stop. I've purchased quite literally every single product in the line (and in many cases two copies so that my gf and I each had access to the cards for our basement games). To think that a third of it (once season 3 hits) will be dead only about a year after release is awful. I don't buy pricey GW product with the expectation of a 12 month shelf life. I expect many, many years, if not a decade or more, of life. 

obviously this is clearly something that you feel strongly about, but on the plus side if GW are hiring people to go around to all their existing customers houses and monitor what models are used in their basements that's got to be good for the unemployment rate. think of the economy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

I was grudgingly becoming okay with the X-Wing model where you need to buy warbands you don't want in order to get all the cards you want(though I like most of the models well enough alternate AoS models, it was no big deal) as long as they would stay in play the same as X-Wing. But if they're also going to combine the Magic/Heroclix/CCG thing of rotating out sets, I'm probably going to be out of WHU. Might pick up the stand alone releases for models I like, but not more core sets or packs with the cards, which means I'll probably be more picky about which of those I pick up since there won't be cards to push me over the edge of buy models I'm not entirely crazy about.

Quite understandable. (Rotation is why I don't play mtg at standard level)

I just think it makes sense from a competitive (and shopkeeper) standpoint. Cycle out a bunch of cards, and you can print new cards without worrying about broken combos with earlier cards.  We'll see if it happens, as its just speculation on my part.  

48 minutes ago, JPjr said:

obviously this is clearly something that you feel strongly about, but on the plus side if GW are hiring people to go around to all their existing customers houses and monitor what models are used in their basements that's got to be good for the unemployment rate. think of the economy!

Lol! Yeah, I get your point, but this game is different from, say, AoS. It's built from the ground up as the "ultimate" competitive GW game with full-on tournament support. Yes, we play for fun, but more than any other GW game, the goal here is to practice a bunch at home and then go to events. 

If you've got Total War Access they are giving away a short story "Prince of Altdorf" for the Old World as a tie into their Warhammer Total War game and the upcoming DLC/Free DLC launch on the 11th of this month. Featuring new Empire units and Lizardmen including gun firing chariots and a massive Ancient beast! 

But the game is not gone, just 1st season (and it was here for more than a year). If you have season 2 warbands you can still play with them. Rotation is necessary for the health of game or it will become unwieldy.

Edited by michu

3 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Lol! Yeah, I get your point, but this game is different from, say, AoS. It's built from the ground up as the "ultimate" competitive GW game with full-on tournament support. Yes, we play for fun, but more than any other GW game, the goal here is to practice a bunch at home and then go to events. 

A quick google tells me that no card stays legal in magic for more than two years. So unfortunately it looks like this might be standard for this type of game. That said we still don’t have confirmation that the shadespire  warbands will be illegal when beastgrave launches. 

This sort of rotation is going to be pretty alien to a lot of long time GW folks though, it's much more of a MtG and similar games thing. I don't play underworlds competitively so it won't affect me at all - and there's that, if this is a game you play with friends or in any venue besides tournaments, this will make zero difference -  but if you'd bought into the competitive mindset, I can see how it's frustrating.

It might not be that different from meta-chasing and constantly buying new AoS armies but if it's going to be a blunt "sorry, you can't use those models from about two years ago", it will be irritating for a lot of folks.

Well, maybe we got another MtG thing - non-rotating format! 

I do wonder how many people specifically buy underworld models to use in underworlds though.

Me personally I get them with the cards and all but I don't actively play underworlds, deck building is just not for me. I get them because they're cool models that (lately) tend to be semi-viable in AoS as unique units, otherwise they're good looking proxies, with the added bonus of being playable in underworlds should it happen to come up.

• Like 5

I honestly thought about playing WHU but the sheer amount of cards and warbands scared me off.