The Rumour Thread

@JackStreicher I think divide is normal. Lets also not forget that we were readying ourselves for a "construct undead army". For months the fanbase has been dreaming up its own ideas of skeleton warriors and GW has thrown otu this army which is honestly not what, I think, any of us fully expected. It's not that they've gone outside of GW's design patterns, just that its a very new take on the core concept that we'd had only sketchy rumours of. 

So I think part of the dislike is nto so much dislike but more "this is not what I imagined". 

Also don't forget if 50% of the userbase likes them then that's a great thing! Very few armies (in fact likely all barring marines) command a vast percentage of buyers within the fanbase. So if half the userbase really likes them then that suggests there's actually a very significant chunk of the fanbase being potential customers buying them. That's huge! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Even better than that would be to recognize that the new models are not skeletons. They are constructs.

The whole army echos Nagash's ability to warp bone into shapes of his choosing, according to his whim. It's why there is a bone tithe at all. The bones are used to construct soldiers, which are then infused with (multiple) souls, giving them animus (and protecting those heroic souls from being stolen by Sigmar - which may be a major factor in Nagash's desire to build this army).

The only thing they have in common with skeletons is also a thing in common with orruks, humans, and elves - they have bones somewhere in or on their bodies.

Lore does not justify a subjectively  "bad" design.

@OverreadAlso don't forget if 50% of the userbase likes them then that's a great thing! Very few armies (in fact likely all barring marines) command a vast percentage of buyers within the fanbase. So if half the userbase really likes them then that suggests there's actually a very significant chunk of the fanbase being potential customers buying them. That's huge! 

I like all the existing factions, but that does not make me a buyer. Just because I like it - or in other words: like it just enough not to dislike it doesn't make me buy a product. The product has to be convincing, which this apparently is not to even many players who just "like" it :)

Edited by JackStreicher

I really like how the Mortarch is a diorama kit. I'm not sure if I'll collect this army (I'm way to behind on painting my Gloomspite to be getting a new army anyways) but I think I'll pick him up as a painting project for Halloween assuming he's available by then.

From watching the Warhammer Weekly video I felt like GW has a kind of flippant attitude towards the upcoming Cities/Orruk/Ogre releases that has me a little concerned. Though the rules designers and marketing teams are totally different. It maybe that marketing doesn't care about Cities and the Orruks because they're not coming with new models but the rules writers were still super passionate and on point with them. It does add to my suspicions that Cities and Orruks will be released together. If November = Sisters and December = no army releases we're looking at just September and October now for Cities of Sigmar, Orruk Warclans, Ogre MawTribes, and now Ossiarch Bonereapers.  I think the big question is where will Mawtribes fall into the release schedule. We haven't seen a new faction get a dual set at release (outside of edition starter sets) so maybe Mawtribes will come after Bonereapers kinda like Slyvaneth and Gloomspite worked with Looncurse? There doesn't seem to be enough time unless Mawtribes are actually a 2020 release.

Just now, JackStreicher said:

They'll be too small. Those new Skele-structs are on 32mm bases (at least)

Have you seen the TG heads? 🙂When the TK range came out, there were some who mocked the scale creep of those dudes.

Maybe you'll be right, but I'm gonna try!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JPjr said:

EDIT: actually one small thing, it took a second to figure out what felt wrong but as someone who actually does 2 handed longsword as a martial art the way these boneboys are holding their weapons is doing my head in, poor form skeletons, Master Lichtenauer would not approve.

As someone who trains in a koryu sword art I had a very similar thought!

30 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I have about 50 spare Tomb Guard heads (no horse feet though) that I think will finally see some use.

Now that's an idea! The bandages will seem really weird though, but the champion head is spot on.

11 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

As someone who trains in a koryu sword art I had a very similar thought!

For me, the giant shoulderpads are a thing. I've looked at someone cosplaying a sister of battle, and she could not even lift her arms to stick straight out. These models, as well as Stormcast or Chaos warriors, will have the same issue.

Look at the Lord Relictor for instance. Lifting his left arm would hinge his shoulderpiece into his face, the spikes of the back and on the shoulder would interfere, and the spikes on the inside of the knees would make him essentially unable to walk, except for an awkward waddle.

752130923_LordRelictor1.jpg.dad40e2b3208837b9bfcca4fb9ed3894.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hoseman said:

The thing is that we have to stop thinking of a bone army. They are like stormcast, living armours with souls inside. 

They could be a jade army, terracotta or other mineral army.

Hard to do when the whole army is made of BONE, mate! 😂

Edited by Vasshpit

2 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

The thing is that we have to stop thinking of a bone army. They are like stormcast, living armours with souls inside. 

They could be a jade army, terracotta or other mineral army.

But they literally ARE a bone army and not armour made of some random material.

Jade is made by combining two type of rocks, one of them is almost calcium and magnesium (like bones). Nagash could mix the bones with other rocks to make them harder and then construct that bone-rock-armour.

They are not only bones... in that case what are those bones from? They dont have any sense for a living fantasy animal, is not just bones glued with something. Just see the mortarch, is a jade armour. And all the black dudes, seriously u think they are made of Bones? Bones are white not black so is a bone-rock army for sure.

Btw, other cool colour for them:

https://images.app.goo.gl/srmzr596d8NEihTg6

Edited by Hoseman

11 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

Hard to do when the whole army is made of BONE, mate! 😂

Ah, but the realms being what they are allow the possibility of other substances of bone.  Think of petrified skeletons - they have a wide range of colors.  Perhaps the bones were taken/tithed from certain areas in a realm and when left out were transformed into another mineral/color?  Perhaps the creatures the bones are from (stonetusk creature has stone skeleton) have bones made from another substance.  Lots of ways to justify it in AoS.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

For me, the giant shoulderpads are a thing. I've looked at someone cosplaying a sister of battle, and she could not even lift her arms to stick straight out. These models, as well as Stormcast or Chaos warriors, will have the same issue.

Look at the Lord Relictor for instance. Lifting his left arm would hinge his shoulderpiece into his face, the spikes of the back and on the shoulder would interfere, and the spikes on the inside of the knees would make him essentially unable to walk, except for an awkward waddle.

752130923_LordRelictor1.jpg.dad40e2b3208837b9bfcca4fb9ed3894.jpg

I just can't believe we care about this stuff in a fantasy world where ghosts float around the battlefield, walking trees teleport though non-walking trees, and gigantic piles of fat can walk around and swing magical bells.

Rule of cool should win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

Just now, Hoseman said:

Jade is made by combining two type of rocks, one of them is calcium and magnesium. Nagash could mix the bones with other rocks to make them harder and then construct that bone-rock-armour.

They are not only bones... in that case what are those bones from? They dont have any sense for a living fantasy animal, is not just bones glued with something. Just see the mortarch, is a jade armour. And all the black dudes, seriously u think they are made of Bones? Bones are white not black so is a bone-rock army for sure

Yeah or alternatively bones discolour - hence the black/green etc.. -I reckon these guys would look epic in other schemes.

I like them -they look very different to other undead, very elite and taking the construct idea somewhere else. Be tempted to get a few just to paint- love the floating sorcerer with the black bone.. It seems to me overall to be a very AoS design, which is a good thing- there are already skeleton forces this goes somewhere else. Interested to see what other builds there are..