The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, CDM said:

I'm really excited for a death faction and especially one that has some mortal followers ala the malign portent story.

Doesn‘t look necessarily dead != Mortal Followers.

Also

isn‘t necessarily silver != Gold

Don‘t get your hopes up when no evidence whatsoever is provided. 🙃

Edited by JackStreicher

42 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

It seems pretty obvious that this guy carries a tomb stone with candles on his back (Rumors Engine). I hope he‘s not the freed servant since He looks rather unimposing ^^

the new skeletons give me a slight Asian vibe though some remind me of Bretonnian Levy?

May not be on his back, but rather behind him, and is more part of the base than him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mutton said:

That's a weird, almost cartoony design. It looks like it's just a big tombstone with arms and a head.

At 0:35 seconds in we can see this guy is actually laying in a casket but the casket is standing up.

Similar to the casket object marker i would say

I think the humans in the images are just people from the town carting the towns tithe of bone to these guys. If the tithe isn't enough then this guys empire takes what is necessary and moves on.

It's "pay me enough and we wont kill you and we'll move on".

I imagine they want the bones to continue to grow and bolster their forces/ constructs. Sounds awesome.

Constructs, if present, makes a warped kind of sense. A whole undead army on a continual never-ending march. Legions riding and marching in line with constructs that drag and carry and are the support and settlements for them. Perhaps some few settlements nestled deep within the wilderness. The idea being that the army travels forever; forever crushing any who don't offer enough Tithe and taking from those who do. Perhaps their army might come past your city only once in a lifetime; you've got that one chance to stand against them or offer your tithe and hope it is enough for them to ignore you another tithe season .

• Like 3

My take:

Not an entirely new faction for Death. This all looks awfully skeleton-y and it would be downright insulting to those who have been waiting for something Deathrattle not to include those kits if they put out a skeleton faction (this particular view might be influence by me having quite a few unbuild skeletons and black knights biding their time in storage) . Also the Deathrattle kits are still quite serviceable and at least the black riders will stick around for a while due to also building a Nighthaunt unit. Also these guys have been at their tithing game for a long long time and GW has at least been trying to write up a reason entirely new factions haven't been seen so far (Overlords-hiding in the Clouds, Idoneth-hiding underseas, Sacrosanct Chamber-where foretold and named in previous Stormcast Battletomes, but also busy protecting the Anvil).

Not Tomb Kings, not egyptian or mongolian or whatever. GW has been really good about not doing fantastic counterpart cultures but instead forging their own identity for the new factions in AoS. I don't see the breaking the mold here. Does not mean people won't see a tendency to this or that real world culture in the final result, I think that's inevitable. But I'm quite confident these won't be a WHFB type deal of 1 to 1 transferred imagery as some still seem to expect. These might be AoS "Tomb Kings" in army composition though. If so, that would be a core of varied skeleton troops supported by freaky, quite possible construct in nature, special units and lead by hard as nails heroes. Which sounds like a winner to me.

We actually have three dudes to speculate about, with not the slightest idea which of the three are actually one and the same. We've got the monstrously powerful Death entity freed from the Stormvault. We've got the still quite mighty narrator of tithe of bones. And then we have the silhouette of what is quite definitely a new hero, who, while imo quite cool looking so far, does not exactly strike me as mighty mortarch level stuff material. Personally I don't feel the narrator and the freed entity are one and the same, the narrator story strikes me as rather mundane and it also makes no reference to being held captive. But we really won't know until we know.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rogue Explorator said:

We actually have three dudes to speculate about, with not the slightest idea which of the three are actually one and the same. 

I got the feeling that the new "candle on the back guy" is the narrator. I agree he's not the big prime evil released from the stormvault. I expect that to be a new Mortarch and this candle guy is the new hero.... everything else will probably just be a book, some endless spells and combining deathrattle into their own faction (kind of like Legion of Grief perhaps). 

I expect this new hero and the new ogor tryan to be in a dual faction box like Looncurse. 
That will come alongside the two new respective battletomes/spells/terrain.  

I'd be surprised if this ended up being a bigger release than that.   

• Like 2

I think this Death release may end up being quite large. 

All signs point to it being a skeleton based release. I think there have been two characters tease now. You have the released entity, which will presumably end up as the Mortarch of this faction. You then have this smaller, secondary hero who will maybe be the hero included in the box against the Ogurs. 

I strongly doubt that a duel box would deserve at least 2 animated trailers. Must be something more than a rebranding of the Deathrattle faction, most likely including some new kits for elite as they really need some (even if they merge the Morghasts) and would be cool if they add some shooting models as Death is lacking them direly...

I think it’s going to be huge, I’m just surprised it would start with a duel box with an already existing faction, that would be a first for AoS

9 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

GW has been really good about not doing fantastic counterpart cultures

They have been pulling inspiration from historical cultures though, you only need to look at the IDK and DoK to see it. I do think this is going to be the new Deathrattle which will probably get a name change and a new aesthetic with the classic aesthetic staying with LoN if the new faction really is going to be an elite one, what we can make out of the silhouette of the armour the troops are wearing in the Tither part 2 vid doesn't really look a whole lot like the current armour either the skeleton warriors or grave guard are wearing. The silhouettes look almost like the armour soldiers would wear in feudal japan, whatever they're wearing  definitely has an asian flavour to it imo. That said though it could also  just be the old aesthetic just with a more AoS spin on it for all we know.

45 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

They have been pulling inspiration from historical cultures though, you only need to look at the IDK and DoK to see it. I do think this is going to be the new Deathrattle which will probably get a name change and a new aesthetic with the classic aesthetic staying with LoN if the new faction really is going to be an elite one, what we can make out of the silhouette of the armour the troops are wearing in the Tither part 2 vid doesn't really look a whole lot like the current armour either the skeleton warriors or grave guard are wearing. The silhouettes look almost like the armour soldiers would wear in feudal japan, whatever they're wearing  definitely has an asian flavour to it imo. That said though it could also  just be the old aesthetic just with a more AoS spin on it for all we know.

It's kind of hard to do fantasy and not draw inspiration from historical cultures (and by hard, I mean near impossible here). Thing is, GW hasn't made a single faction for AoS that draws on just one culture or even worse just the pop cultural image of just one culture and I doubt they'll go back to that game now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, michu said:

But GW doesn't have a tradition of replacing serviceable kits - it happened once with Moonclan Fanatics.

Actually they replace them all the time; its just that Old World got ignored for a long time (partly because for a big chunk of time Lord of the Rings was the fantasy focus); and AoS has had one of the most erratic and mad release windows ever. Even now GW is mostly only focused on updating all the rules and sculpts where they can as well as adding the odd new army and force here and there. So some armies have old stuff that is still hanging around, GW will likely replace them but its goin to take time. WE might see a surge when the new factory is online and GW has some additional power from their local grid. 

8 minutes ago, Overread said:

Actually they replace them all the time; its just that Old World got ignored for a long time (partly because for a big chunk of time Lord of the Rings was the fantasy focus); and AoS has had one of the most erratic and mad release windows ever. Even now GW is mostly only focused on updating all the rules and sculpts where they can as well as adding the odd new army and force here and there. So some armies have old stuff that is still hanging around, GW will likely replace them but its goin to take time. WE might see a surge when the new factory is online and GW has some additional power from their local grid. 

🤨

Warhammer stuff was released as regularly as ever during LotR's height (2001-04), with most of the 6th edition army books and two global campaigns being released in that time, with multiple core units being replaced (then) modern multipart plastic kits.

The Hobbit movie tie ins hardly made a dent in GW's regular release schedule with only a month dedicated to the launch, and then a few sporadic releases alongside regular WFB and 40k stuff after that, with no slowed pace of 8th edition army book releases and large scale plastic kits.

How is this relevant to what @michu said about recent trends in GW's releases, and what on Earth are you talking about?

My impression was that many of the Warhammer armies in general lagged when it came to releases, if not for LotR then for 40K as well during a long period. Heck look at Skaven, an army that is very popular in general and yet the vast majority of their core units are very old sculpts indeed. As for replacing serviceable models GW has just been updating core Chaos models for 40K including warriors, jump infantry, obliterators, heck the new Blackstone has new cultists who will very likely get their own set and blend out into the main game to replace the existing ones.