The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

For those thinking warcry units were going to lead into a slaves battletome, have you seen how poor the untamed beasts warscroll for example looks?  That one is even worse than Underworlds warscrolls.

Only 1 fighter out of all of them gets the single ranged attack, and the rest of them have only 1 poor attack...

image.png.820b1ce6bc71bb9572c1009a67b21b9e.png

It's almost like they are regular humans with minimal armor and bones for weapons or some such thing...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Zanzou said:

For those thinking warcry units were going to lead into a slaves battletome, have you seen how poor the untamed beasts warscroll for example looks?  That one is even worse than Underworlds warscrolls.

Only 1 fighter out of all of them gets the single ranged attack, and the rest of them have only 1 poor attack...

image.png.820b1ce6bc71bb9572c1009a67b21b9e.png

In terms of playable warscrolls, they're a huge step up IMO. They're tidy simple and clean whereas the underworlds warscrolls try and cram in different options for every model! 

These guys are a cheap distraction unit as they should be

I also like that GW made their unit specials "must" takes rather than optional. Their special units are specific weapons and things like giant cats, so they work within the team as a multiple model option, even the leader appears once every 9 not as a one off. These multiple make sense more so than if GW mandated taking banners once every 10 models etc...

I also agree they are functional, simple and clean to put into battle. An ideal model for AoS where they don't need a million special abilities or a million weapon choices that leaves a player having to battle between choosing weapon combos for Warcry and weapon combos for AoS. Right now you plunk them down and they work straight out of the box however you build them for your Warcry Warband.

• Like 3

Haha something inside of me is dying when I see those Warscrolls. Like, yeah, exactly how I expect GW to treat an Slaves to Darkness Subfaction. Because, you know, thoose Darkoath perfectly fit into the setting of beeing weaker than the superior Chaos Warriors.

To the guesses of what may stay and what may be gone soon: I think that models that had a price hike in the last time should be quite fine

43 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

In terms of playable warscrolls, they're a huge step up IMO. They're tidy simple and clean whereas the underworlds warscrolls try and cram in different options for every model! 

These guys are a cheap distraction unit as they should be

The problem isn't how "clean" the warscroll looks, it's that they are worse at everything/ have no apparent role. As for being cheap as a benefit...

-Cheap yet can't be used well for screening or objective holding, since cheap units used for screening/ objective holding can either be taken in large groups at a discount or have some sort of defense to make them annoying to get rid of.  These have neither.  These have nothing.

-Can't realistically use their good movement, because their attack is so weak when you compare to the potential of any other faction's far-movers. Skin Wolves are much more expensive they are also 1000 times better than them at everything they can do and more movement (Untamed beasts are so weak they would not even be able to kill a small hero after a flank).  Yes skin wolves are elite and we are comparing to a "cheap distraction", but with no defense, no offense or group discounts to speak of, there's no reason not to take other cheap distractions.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 2

This is only one scroll.

I think the Furies are quite useful. 

2128622509_Bildschirmfoto2019-07-23um22_49_54.png.0272543efadc4c351aac1056b074555c.png

12" move, the ability to just escape close combat and 2 attacks with -1 rend and better than average stats. They dont have any armor but 2 wounds per model. 

Edited by Gecktron
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

So what do we think are the most likely sets to be discontinued when Cities of Sigmar arrives? The article says that they'll let us know in due course, but a few things are already seeming to be sold out...

If pushed, I’d be looking at the contents of the free cities boxed sets that were being sold when Firestorm was new. I think those models and the ones that fit most closely with those themes are most likely to be safe.

Edited by Greyshadow

I actually think the Iron Golems could be fairly good in a large group with their extra bravery (8 with banner) and their 4+ saves and their ranged attacks.  Cypher Lords also have some ranged, plus if you ran 2 of them as separate squads, the shattered orb could be pretty reliable against either a death star squad or large monster.  I agree that Untamed Beasts are pretty underwhelming for the cost though.  Furies and Raptoryxes both seem ~okay.  I compared them to Chaos Warhounds, but they only seem so-so compared to those, and it's not like Warhounds are dominant (at least as far as I know).

• Like 1

To me, and I have a big chunk of chaos warriors/knights/gorteck chariots/manticores not yet assembled, I just have the feeling that those new warscrolls are just there to (pseudo)justify the versatility of the warcry miniatures.

As a (very) long term player (3+ decades), I have now a simple policy when it comes to non mainstream miniatures: take them ONLY if you fancy them, but for the main games, do as if they didn't even exist. They won't have entries in BT or official armies and experience shows that their time in the main games is limited. 

PS: I was also tempted to buy 3 days ago the kroot sniper from blackstone fortress for my new tau army but for the very same reason, I'll pass. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

So what do we think are the most likely sets to be discontinued when Cities of Sigmar arrives? The article says that they'll let us know in due course, but a few things are already seeming to be sold out...

I've had a poke around on the various webstores, and quite a few of the old Empire sets look to be endangered, as do some of the Aelves. However its hard to tell what will just be a reboxing, since basically everything except wanderers is on square bases.

Does anyone who went to the preview have a feel for the kind of units that were prominently featured, and are thus likely to be safe?

I'm hoping that they wouldn't get rid of any of hte centrepiece models like the Phoenixes and the Skycutter, but I worry that the rest of the high elf stuff could be on shaky ground. There are also a lot of old Dark elf units which have never been re-based. Scourge Privateers get talked about a lot in the lore, so it would be a shame if they vanished, but its hard to know. Darkling Covens could be safe, since the Dark Elf Sorceress is popular enough to be one of the last square based models which is still in stores rather than being direct order. Taking away all of her soldiers would seem like an odd move, but if they are really shaking up the list so that the idea of Darkling Covens no longer matters then anything could happen!

I think it will be the plastic kits from Spire of Dawn that did not come on its own sprue.  So spireguard, the high warden, swordmasters. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, xking said:

Remember "Legions of Nagash" did not stop "Nighthaunt"  from getting there own release and battletome. So the armies within the "Cities of Sigmar" could still get there own release and battletomes.  

I've encountered a number of people who think "Cities of Sigmar"  is a one and done  thing for the armies book.

Yeah I think people assuming this book closes the door on all the included factions  are definitely jumping the gun a bit.

The same day Cities of Sigmar was announced we got teasers suggesting a possible Wanderer Book in the future, the Fyreslayer tome teases Grugni/Dispossessed hard while also setting the stage for a combined dwarf tome some day, and GW has been blue-balling everyone about Teclis/Tyrion/Malerion since roughly the beginning of time.  Even new Humans (Cogforts!) have been teased for some time now.

I'm pretty sure the Cities book is, much like Legions of Nagash a way to sweep up Order for the time being and axe a lot of the models they've been wanting to get rid of for a while now. The survivors will largely get rolled up into factions that aren't ready yet, or replaced.

• Like 5

@xking @madmac

I'd go a step further and suggest that the book could immediately benefit subfactions even without their own battletome. Three things are holding back factions like dispossessed, wanderers, darkling covens and especially free people's:

Lack of battalions

Some poor warscrolls

Points costs

IMO there are lots of builds that are very close to competitive that could get there with just a small update from this tome.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:36 AM, JackStreicher said:

I played little with the contrast

CFAF09E3-6B5D-46C6-B618-89BC1B9E107C.jpeg.6f46428dc832850f81e8d4981798bfff.jpeg

It is certainly elven. And you can make out the Pauldron on it’s left side.

It seems to wear a big belt-buckle/stomach protection and a helmet?

1) The only other model with it is a Warcry model
2) Warcry is Chaos themed with "more warbands coming"

3) Centuars are chaos based in "beast of chaos" battletome

9 minutes ago, Rollcage said:

The video was about the new Warhammer Underworlds Season "Beastgrave" not Warcry. 

These creatures have hoves, the beastmen you are refering to are Centigors, which have claws instead of hoves. 

The only other centaurs in Warhammer are the Bull centaurs of the Chaos Dwarfs, but they are way bigger than what we have seen so far. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gecktron said:

This is only one scroll.

I think the Furies are quite useful. 

2128622509_Bildschirmfoto2019-07-23um22_49_54.png.0272543efadc4c351aac1056b074555c.png

12" move, the ability to just escape close combat and 2 attacks with -1 rend and better than average stats. They dont have any armor but 2 wounds per model. 

thats silly.

You can use enemies to leapfrog 36" across the battlefield. Charge 12-24" with no intention to roll combat dice. Move another 12" in combat. Cap

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soots said:

thats silly.

You can use enemies to leapfrog 36" across the battlefield. Charge 12-24" with no intention to roll combat dice. Move another 12" in combat. Cap

Remembering that its a retreat move not a normal move. So they have to finish at least 3 inches away from any enemy units. It's a shame its a cower move rather than a swipe and retreat; but it could certainly use you get some advanced use out of them in distracting and driving your opponent mad. It's the ideal unit to attack an enemy with and, ideally before they attack, to retreat it away leaving your opponent with a unit now doing nothing!

8 hours ago, Rollcage said:

The model is for Shadespire, not warcry

** plus it just has the Silhouette if a centaur, that dorsn‘t Make it a centaur it could be a elftaur, ambertaur, deertaur, moosetaur, kourno-taur

Edited by JackStreicher

4 minutes ago, Huanchi said:

2 Words:
Tomb Kings

Probably the reimagined ones..but thats totally TK

Candles and gravestones arent something I typically associate with Tomb Kings. 

A triangel can also be found in christian imagery (the eye of providance and all that).

9 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

@xking @madmac

I'd go a step further and suggest that the book could immediately benefit subfactions even without their own battletome. Three things are holding back factions like dispossessed, wanderers, darkling covens and especially free people's:

Lack of battalions

Some poor warscrolls

Points costs

IMO there are lots of builds that are very close to competitive that could get there with just a small update from this tome.

That I agree with. I am hesistant to say the FP or Aelves will get another battletome soonish, they have received none so far, but I can hope!

Having options to include units from other factions would give aelves a fighting chance as their roster fills a lot more, and similarely having options for Ironweld, College or devoted working well with the main army and a few batallions would help FP and Disposessed. I am not entirely sure we'll see that, but a batallion that introduces a few out-of army units and changes their keywords to work with the main army would be very nice!