The Rumour Thread

Reminds me a lot of Deepkin armor designs. Those little oval designs in the armor (and overall triangle-ish shape) are something that is common to all Deepkin units, and not something I've seen outside of them. Wanderers have very little metal armor to begin with, and the designs are different. High Aelf armor is more lamellar looking.

I took a look at the Tzeentch stuff and didn't see anything that looked all that similar.

Edited by madmac

27 minutes ago, madmac said:

Reminds me a lot of Deepkin armor designs. Those little oval designs in the armor (and overall triangle-ish shape) are something that is common to all Deepkin units, and not something I've seen outside of them. Wanderers have very little metal armor to begin with, and the designs are different. High Aelf armor is more lamellar looking.

I took a look at the Tzeentch stuff and didn't see anything that looked all that similar.

Deepkin were the first elves designed wholly within the new AOS aesthetics, probably other new elves model will share similar concepts.

Rumour engine says "Does it seek to illuminate us or to erode our sanity? " which may be a reference to the duality (light/shadow) of the new elven (elfish?) faction. Shadows in Ulgu are also associated with mysteries, riddles etc., which put sanity in jeopardy.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:52 AM, Bombort said:

Looks a bit like the back of a moth to me. Maybe the light of Hysh is so bright, that all the giant moth creatures of the realms were feeling attracted to it. The Light-Aelves use them as mounts now.

I'm not a big elf fan but aelves riding moths would be a must buy for me. The display boards would be amazing.

7 hours ago, Walrustaco said:

I like the witch aelf design! 

I've got to admit I do kinda like it as well, even though I don't think it's exactly lore accurate/friendly for them to actually be wearing armour so I've got a little bit of mixed feelings over this. I'd probably run them traditionally in my games but I'd give players the option to wear armour if they want.

Trying to claw it back to rumours, what do we think the next new model range will be? It's nice of GW to tinker with existing ranges and release terrain/endless spells etc. but I'm itching for a new army release. The sculpts GW produce keep getting better and better, and for a hobbyist who really values the painting side of the hobby, I would love to hand over a bucket of cash for some gorgeous models. 

I had all my hopes pinned on Deepkin when I first heard hints of them, but when I saw the models I just heard Sebastian the crab singing in my ear. Then I saw Nighthaunt and decided against an army full of animated bedsheets... Yes I'm picky, but I'd love an army that was new sculpts, a range of unit types, and a variety of textures/details for a painting challenge. I think I got unlucky that the Deepkin aesthetic was such a turn-off but now I'm scared that the army of my dreams won't materialise...

So what do you guys think? Should I A) hold my nerve with a new army just around the corner or B) settle on an existing new range i.e. Gloomspite Gitz?

17 minutes ago, NorthernNurgling said:

Trying to claw it back to rumours, what do we think the next new model range will be? It's nice of GW to tinker with existing ranges and release terrain/endless spells etc. but I'm itching for a new army release. The sculpts GW produce keep getting better and better, and for a hobbyist who really values the painting side of the hobby, I would love to hand over a bucket of cash for some gorgeous models. 

I had all my hopes pinned on Deepkin when I first heard hints of them, but when I saw the models I just heard Sebastian the crab singing in my ear. Then I saw Nighthaunt and decided against an army full of animated bedsheets... Yes I'm picky, but I'd love an army that was new sculpts, a range of unit types, and a variety of textures/details for a painting challenge. I think I got unlucky that the Deepkin aesthetic was such a turn-off but now I'm scared that the army of my dreams won't materialise...

So what do you guys think? Should I A) hold my nerve with a new army just around the corner or B) settle on an existing new range i.e. Gloomspite Gitz?

You could be waiting for ages, I'd just find something you like that's already out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I think Gitz will give you a lot of diverse and interesting projects. At my game shop there are three Gitz players, and their armies are absolute riots of color, with variegated spiders and vivid fungi. You really can't go wrong with them, unless the general silliness of the army doesn't appeal to you.

5 hours ago, NorthernNurgling said:

I disagree entirely with your aesthetic critiques of Idoneth and Nighthaunt.  I started both armies at their release and have loved painting them.

There are no crabs in Idoneth (although I would like there to be) and while the Lady Olynder has a "sheet" over her frightful face, most of the Nighthaunts are leering skulls.

I don't think your going to get a good response of ideas for a new army by bashing the last few.   There is a good chance that you will not find what you are looking for.  Next up for all new will most likely be either Light or Shadow Aelves.    I anticipate more of a "reworking" for the Destruction and Death armies that are still due this year rather than an entire force launch.

I highly doubt we will see an All New army this year (the warbands for Warcry will fill that slot) but I do hope to see reworkings of all the major players with perhaps a new miniature and the obligatory Endless Spells and Terrain.

• Like 1