The Rumour Thread

24 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Skaven, Seraphon, LoN, BCR, BoC, Bonesplittas (etc.) all have big issues with old, derpy or even absent models, and FEC - while, Vargulf aside, are technically OK sculpts - don't really match their lore.

I see the FEC argument every now and then, and I think it's rubbish. FEC are deranged, degenerate cannibals. Their current aesthetic matches this perfectly. The fact they have delusions doesn't affect their physical appearance.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

My only issue with so many new side game sculpts is how bad a state many of the main-line AoS sculpts remain.

Skaven, Seraphon, LoN, BCR, BoC, Bonesplittas (etc.) all have big issues with old, derpy or even absent models, and FEC - while, Vargulf aside, are technically OK sculpts - don't really match their lore.

I don't want another Silver Tower situation, where loads of cool new moulds and sculpts are usable in AoS for a while, and then disappear from sale/AoS if/when the game disappears.

To be honest 40k also suffer from this problem especially that the majority of their named characters are in resin or metal currently. GW has only recently start refreshing those sculpt when they redid Marneus Calgar and Abbadon.

I am guessing that it going to be a slow arduous process to update every resin model they still sell regardless of speed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towercap said:

I see the FEC argument every now and then, and I think it's rubbish. FEC are deranged, degenerate cannibals. Their current aesthetic matches this perfectly. The fact they have delusions doesn't affect their physical appearance.

You don't think it would be cooler if the ghouls - or the top guys, at least - were carrying/wearing torn pieces of heraldry and armour that they had scavenged from a battlefield somewhere?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

You don't think it would be cooler if the ghouls - or the top guys, at least - were carrying/wearing torn pieces of heraldry and armour that they had scavenged from a battlefield somewhere?

Personally: hard nope.

I love the contrast between their imagined and physical realities. I reckon the further they stray outwardly from what they believe inwardly, the more evocative their fluff will be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towercap said:

they could be less derpy though and actually more menacing 

• Sad 1

I think that it can be fun to model FEC with the remnants of the civilization they once had, but only if that's what they're actually lugging around with them. It makes sense to me that a ghoul might carry a tattered rag that he thinks is still a beautiful banner. I also agree that it isn't as cool to model the delusions as real.

6 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

My only issue with so many new side game sculpts is how bad a state many of the main-line AoS sculpts remain.

I don't want another Silver Tower situation, where loads of cool new moulds and sculpts are usable in AoS for a while, and then disappear from sale/AoS if/when the game disappears.

Oh please. 

1. GW don't make models on a rota ("this faction hasn't had a  update in while let's fix it"). They go by 'rule of cool' and sales. It would be an inane business decision to update forces that aren't selling until a saleable / cool concept has been achieved in GW.

2. The silver tower models are perfectly usable. Sure the spider grots aren't but get over that please. Who exactly was planning a whole force around them?

3. What is with the whining about cool new stuff? Get some perspective. StD haven't had new model kits in aeons. Warcry or not these warbands all give unique flavours to mortal chaos factions. And this new one even references the Crow tribe from the mid 2000s Whfb Chaos book.

Giving a force with many cultures multiple core kits is a damn good idea. They did this with IG in 40k years ago. I only hope they do it for free people's too.

Edited by zedatkinszed
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

"The Warhammer Age of Sigmar Open day will also be the first time everthat you’ll have the chance to play Warcry – the game of skirmish combat in the Mortal Realms. If you think Warcry looks awesome, just wait until you experience it in action!"
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/01/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-tickets-now-available/

Looks like we'll be getting a look at the rules for Warcry soon then if they'll be showing it off at the open day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lernaean said:

New warband looking great. This one gives me a Tzeentch vibe, even though none of them is explicitly following a certain god.

I think that’s why I’m so taken with them. There’s a focus on pantheistic interpretation and aspects of the deities character which has usually been lost in Khorne= Angry and Red etc.

I always liked Nurgle the most because there is the most in his lore about his multiple aspects and meaning to his followers. 

This is the most complex exploration of Chaos belief since 6th Edition and Mordheim

• Like 5

I think GW has made big strides to show how diverse Chaos is within the Mortal Realms, especially when worshippers are at the lower end of the scale. I think in Old World and also in 40K Chaos has been shoehorned into the "Big bad" faction and most of the forces we see and encounter are frothing -at-the-mouth believers. Those who are so entrapped that they are almost mindless.

Which is great for a generic big-bad faction, but harder to write stories about. AoS has a lot more open chaos, we see into the mind of Nurgles Knights who consider themselves noble; we see into the background of Warbands who worship the Chaos Gods like old-world-gods. Some Chaos here and there, but by and large they are human and normal. They have loves, lives, desires and goals beyond their dark gods desires. Indeed they are fickle and willing to transfer their belief to another of the dark gods if they are tempted; or if their current patron god starts to show disinterest in them or isn't holding up their side of the deal. Which is very fitting because most Chaos Worshippers never interact with the actual gods, but instead with their Greater Demons. Individual powerful demons who fight and compete with each other; so one who was falling down might well start to lose followers to a competing demon which gets reflected in battles and wars and the shift of beliefs in the Mortal Realms.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

"The Warhammer Age of Sigmar Open day will also be the first time everthat you’ll have the chance to play Warcry – the game of skirmish combat in the Mortal Realms. If you think Warcry looks awesome, just wait until you experience it in action!"
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/01/the-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-open-day-tickets-now-available/

Looks like we'll be getting a look at the rules for Warcry soon then if they'll be showing it off at the open day.

Hope there will be something about aos in Aos open day, warcry miniatures are stunning but I want preview about aos not about is skirmish brother. 

2 minutes ago, Arael said:

Hope there will be something about aos in Aos open day, warcry miniatures are stunning but I want preview about aos not about is skirmish brother. 

I think that's a pretty safe bet.

and, most exciting of all, a Warhammer Preview giving you a glimpse into the future of the Mortal Realms…

I think July 20th will probably be the preorder date for Warcry.  I also don't think we will see another battletome except Sylvaneth before August.

1 hour ago, Nos said:

I think that’s why I’m so taken with them. There’s a focus on pantheistic interpretation and aspects of the deities character which has usually been lost in Khorne= Angry and Red etc.

I always liked Nurgle the most because there is the most in his lore about his multiple aspects and meaning to his followers. 

This is the most complex exploration of Chaos belief since 6th Edition and Mordheim

Great post 

Imagine how great it can be in later release waves if they explore other corners of the Mortal realms in this depth top! 

37 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Great post 

Imagine how great it can be in later release waves if they explore other corners of the Mortal realms in this depth top! 

Yep! Bringing this approach to other factions/places could be really cool. Love the crow tribe - I'm not interested in chaos at all but as models they look fantastic.

Honestly I don't think we will see GW do this for other factions. 

We might see some in Free Peoples, but otherwise I think it would bloat the model line far too much trying to realm-scape every faction. Now GW could release realm decoration features. Upgrade packs and bases and the like which might have a generic realm feel and could be used on any faction. 

5 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Yep! Bringing this approach to other factions/places could be really cool. Love the crow tribe - I'm not interested in chaos at all but as models they look fantastic.

Well, if they continue Warcry with a seasonal model like Underworlds, later seasons could be focused on different factions.

So you could get something like Season 1-Chaos Tribes fighting in the varanspire; Season 2-minor Greenskin tribes duking it out in Ghur; Season 3-Gangs of the Free Cities; etc.

An Death focused one would be a bit out there, but maybe something like the remnants of different lost civilisations fighting begone wars. It would be a neat way to flesh out the Age of Myth a bit more and bring some of it into the current Age, something AoS sorely needs imo. We keep hearing about these diverse and grand civilisation of the Age of Myth and I'm a bit sick of being told but never shown, tbh. Death would be the place for remnants of a begone Age and it would give the GA some needed differentiation.

Not saying any of this will happen, but Warcry is definitely a broad enough name to span a number of settings, which is a stark contrast to the previous naming of similar games for their narrow narrative and setting (Nekromunda, Gorkamorka, Mordheim, Battlefleet Gothic).

14 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly I don't think we will see GW do this for other factions. 

We might see some in Free Peoples, but otherwise I think it would bloat the model line far too much trying to realm-scape every faction. Now GW could release realm decoration features. Upgrade packs and bases and the like which might have a generic realm feel and could be used on any faction. 

It is a huge jump from "for other factions" to "every faction".

As you yourself concede when you say we might see Free Peoples, there is a big scale inbetween not giving such warbands to anybody else and making a bunch for every conceivable model line.

If GW is true to their claim that Warcry is to be a fully supported gameline, they'll have to expand it in some way. Doing so in the way the original lineup was done seems like it would be the logical choice.

Lots of ifs, yes. GW doesn't always keep to statements like that and they certainly don't always act logical to an outsiders point of view. As always, not getting ones hopes up is a good policy to keep. But it remains a distinct possibility.

New Gotrek audio drama and new book, Ghoulslayer on the way.

Warcry is getting an anthology release of the different chaos warbands

New neferata book as well and what appears to be a deepkin novel.

Edited by RexHavoc