The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2021/11/rumors-old-world-announcements-coming.html?m=1

I feel like I am taking crazy pills as the rumour shared a couple pages ago said 'mid 2022' and it's now '1st of 2022' and 'beginning of next year'. But it isn't like we have any other rumours going on, so I can as well share.

no its just a rumor for an announcement which could just be oh TW is coming out in  early 2022 so lets just have another article on the community around the time with more design art to promote the game and that it.

also that not the same rumor as the other one apparently it two different sources so shrug

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2

Kislev not being a launch faction is illogical, they literally started the news trickle with Kislev concepts.

5 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2021/11/rumors-old-world-announcements-coming.html?m=1

I feel like I am taking crazy pills as the rumour shared a couple pages ago said 'mid 2022' and it's now '1st of 2022' and 'beginning of next year'. But it isn't like we have any other rumours going on, so I can as well share.

That says preview, not release.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Setting aside the fact that "Xenos" is not a faction but literally the lump category for "not power armor" there have been 142 space marine kits released since the last time Tyranid got a new model.

So a revamp of the necron line doesn't really impress me as an eldar player and a revamp of the eldar line isn't gonna make tyranid feel any better, and in between each "huge revamp" of any one faction space marines will get at least the same number of kits if not more.

That's a disparity that doesn't sit well with me.

Wow. As a pure xenos player and fan of tyranids this s crazy. That said, its clear that GW consider the different colours of space marines to be different factions with their own books and models (albeit with a lot of crossover potential). Should we not thus consider spin off factions on the Xenos side as well. So it would be more fair to consider all Eldar together for example. For this comparison I think they consider new stuff for Genestealer cults to be as much a tyranid expansion as Space Wolves are a Space Marine one.

To bring things back to AoS this does put the glut of stormcast in. Perspective at least. Of course the advantage of our more varied range is more variety, but the disadvantage is that there are more old ranges to languish.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, Noserenda said:

Saving my hype for Skaven, well and Sisters of Silence but that aint happening unless i do it myself :D

Regards 40k xenos releases, i am constantly amazed at how neglected they are every time GW does a huge revamp for one of them ;) Something they have been doing annually the last couple of years  and Rumours say huge Eldar waves next year too.

Let's compare this on even grounds. Skaven are not Stormcast, so they should be happy with every other non-Stormcast AoS kit right? Maybe say Skaven are not Order if you feel generous.

Even if we just say AoS Chaos (which is a much smaller subsection), they received Warcry warbands very recently, which are playable in AoS. This doesn't help you in the slightest, but it's a better comparison than saying Xenos had a range refresh.

This also doesn't factor in neglected bits of Imperium (or chaos), like those sisters of silence or Imperial Guard.

Over half the releases in 40k seem to be some flavour of redundant space marine (including chaos ones), while a lot less in AoS is redundant Stormcast.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 3

On 11/12/2021 at 11:24 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

Never say never on the pestigors, after all you’ve only had one model teased and nothing said about the book.

stinky goats might yet be a thing with a side order of other stuff- who knows maybe what’s coming is that good, which might explain the cracking big box nurgle deal. 

I doubt we'll  see more for Nurgle apart from the new fly sorcerer : on the BT cover art it is just him that seems new.

Pestigors would have been great both for Nurgle and BoC .

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Let's compare this on even grounds. Skaven are not Stormcast, so they should be happy with every other non-Stormcast AoS kit right? Maybe say Skaven are not Order if you feel generous.

Even if we just say AoS Chaos (which is a much smaller subsection), they received Warcry warbands very recently, which are playable in AoS. This doesn't help you in the slightest, but it's a better comparison than saying Xenos had a range refresh.

This also doesn't factor in neglected bits of Imperium (or chaos), like those sisters of silence or Imperial Guard.

Over half the releases in 40k seem to be some flavour of redundant space marine (including chaos ones), while a lot less in AoS is redundant Stormcast.

AOS is instead constant new ranges with like 6 units in total while having multiple other factions with horribly outdated models the same age or older than the Craftworlds range.

Neither system is particularly good with regards to sensible release schedules.

But hey, I mean, get hype for Chorfs with a mighty 7 units (4 of which are named characters) while Skaven players have to buy individual finecast Poison Wind Globadiers from 1994. I sure am enjoying my investment in Kruleboyz where half of the units are just some redundant boss on a monster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Indecisive said:

Kislev not being a launch faction is illogical, they literally started the news trickle with Kislev concepts.

That says preview, not release.

Heh, both you and @novakaimisunderstand me - I might not always act like it, but I still retain my eyesight! It's just that the last rumour specifically talked "no earlier" than mid 2022 for previews - meaning that at least one of these rumours are untrue. Unless it's a fabled Schrödinger's Rumour, but such exist purely within the realm of theoretical science.

16 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Your provocation is nothing but thinly veiled jealousy. And it's arrogant Aelf if you please. ;)

That's just dyslexia with extra steps! Aelf Schmaelf. 

As for how this could turn into bashing those arrogant fools... I live to serve. 😎

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Red King said:

List of Space Marine kits that came since Nids got anything

Ouch, that hurts. And talking about those snobbish Aelves... how come the Space Elfs don't get some proper update? I know they're supposed to be ancient but the kits don't have to be. We got so many aelves in AoS but Eldar get pretty much nothing. What were the last releases? Banshees and the Phantom Guard? 

And they better start going all out for Skaven, Seraphon, BoC, Cities (Crusade, whatever) too...

4 hours ago, cyrus said:

I doubt we'll  see more for Nurgle apart from the new fly sorcerer : on the BT cover art it is just him that seems new.

Pestigors would have been great both for Nurgle and BoC .

look, don't let facts get in the way of a good story - I'm trying to keep the man's spirits up here.

Anyway, I'm not buying that, not for a flagship faction. I think there's going to be more, maybe not much more, but certainly something more than one fly faced wizard.

Yes, if you move the goalposts to a specific xenos race they are mostly neglected, the Eldar are still fielding a considerable number of 90's kits for example. People were not arguing that though were they? Its always xenos as a whole v space marines and as i pointed out, that's an argument based in burying your head in the sand.

Tyranids are pretty hard done by model wise, i suspect by the studio not really having a clear idea about what to do with them, though you could argue if you are going to include a dozen marine dexes as one army you should include genestealer cults under the greater tyranid banner :P

Urgh, i can understand cutting back on 8ths model count but it as a whole was a big relief after 6th and 7th from memory, though 7th was a good step forward from 6th at least. But yeah 8th ed warhammer armies were hugely expensive things, which is far from ideal.

• Like 2

I think AoS has the quite big advantage that complete novelty is a possibility. They could showcase just about anything vaguely fantasy themed, tell us how it will fit into the realms and we'll go "Cool! makes sense". So long as it doesn't get too sci fi, or contradict something existing its basically all good (and even Kharadrons are pretty sci fi really).

Conversely 40K is very established, and when they do bring out new factions is almost always with a view to expanding on some small facet of lore like the genestealers, or the various imperial ordos which are now their own thing.

We would ironically like a bit more of that every so often!

But then you come to Tyranids, and I love them to bits, but really what more do they need? They could bring out plastic lictors and biovores, get rid of the last of the resin. That would be good. But the basic troops, while ancient are fine for what they are. Its a horde army, and I don't want to have to paint dozens of ultra-detailed, really dynamic, monopose hormagaunts. The present kits are all nicely designed, clear and not overly cluttered. They might be a bit lacking in imagination, but that isn't something the army needs.

Given the kind of range updates GW do, its better for them to go all out on the genestealers, who have a lot more variety and a lot more potential for all the fiddly little details and gems, and ornate guns that GW loves so much. They may not be "expanded tyranids" but they expand on the tyranids in a new and valuable way, adding another aspect to the game.

It would be good to get similar kind of updates for AoS, maybe update the clunkier lizardmen, but I argue frequently that most of them are fine. If you are after a horde of naked lizard people, there is only so much design space to explore there, and making them to detailed makes it harder to paint up a big army.

But suppose they were to bring out a new Slann servitor race, for sake of the argument Amazons are probably the closest equivalent to Genestealers vs Nids. Could they do more with making humanoid aztec inspired slann cultists than they could actually trying to think of new lizardmen to fill some niche which the Seraphon are presently missing?

This is why I hope that we get the Kurnothi as their own faction, rather than part of Sylvaneth. We don't need to dillute the visual integrity of the Sylvaneth. We can have an independant faction which can freely ally with them, which has its own design space.

Just think how good Fyreslayers or Daughters could be if they got the Genestealer cults treatment. That's what I'd like to see rather than total refreshes for ranges which are still mostly good. (Skaven get a pass, since they are in dire straights)

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

No Cathay - no buy! 

My wallet and my soon to be wife will be thankful. 😂

I have hoped they would sneak a barebones Cathay list in the compendiums so that you can counts-as Empire figures as them, to tide people over haha

However a real Cathay army is something I'd splurge on - I have dreamt of them being playable since I first read a lore snippet about them years upon years ago!

• LOVE IT! 1

40 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I think AoS has the quite big advantage that complete novelty is a possibility. They could showcase just about anything vaguely fantasy themed, tell us how it will fit into the realms and we'll go "Cool! makes sense". So long as it doesn't get too sci fi, or contradict something existing its basically all good (and even Kharadrons are pretty sci fi really).

Conversely 40K is very established, and when they do bring out new factions is almost always with a view to expanding on some small facet of lore like the genestealers, or the various imperial ordos which are now their own thing.

We would ironically like a bit more of that every so often!

But then you come to Tyranids, and I love them to bits, but really what more do they need? They could bring out plastic lictors and biovores, get rid of the last of the resin. That would be good. But the basic troops, while ancient are fine for what they are. Its a horde army, and I don't want to have to paint dozens of ultra-detailed, really dynamic, monopose hormagaunts. The present kits are all nicely designed, clear and not overly cluttered. They might be a bit lacking in imagination, but that isn't something the army needs.

Given the kind of range updates GW do, its better for them to go all out on the genestealers, who have a lot more variety and a lot more potential for all the fiddly little details and gems, and ornate guns that GW loves so much. They may not be "expanded tyranids" but they expand on the tyranids in a new and valuable way, adding another aspect to the game.

It would be good to get similar kind of updates for AoS, maybe update the clunkier lizardmen, but I argue frequently that most of them are fine. If you are after a horde of naked lizard people, there is only so much design space to explore there, and making them to detailed makes it harder to paint up a big army.

But suppose they were to bring out a new Slann servitor race, for sake of the argument Amazons are probably the closest equivalent to Genestealers vs Nids. Could they do more with making humanoid aztec inspired slann cultists than they could actually trying to think of new lizardmen to fill some niche which the Seraphon are presently missing?

This is why I hope that we get the Kurnothi as their own faction, rather than part of Sylvaneth. We don't need to dillute the visual integrity of the Sylvaneth. We can have an independant faction which can freely ally with them, which has its own design space.

Just think how good Fyreslayers or Daughters could be if they got the Genestealer cults treatment. That's what I'd like to see rather than total refreshes for ranges which are still mostly good. (Skaven get a pass, since they are in dire straights)

I will have to disagree unfortunately mate when it comes to Seraphon and Tyranids, design wise I completely agree that AOS has a much easier time and that is due to not having nearly as much history. 

But there is so much they can do with the Nids, we know they take in biomass to create more Nids so they could go the Xenomorph route and have different flavours of Hormagaunt, Termagaunt, Genestealer, Warrior the list goes on and on.

Same for Seraphon, the Saurus and Cold One Knights at the very least need updating to make the Saurus at least slightly intimidating and the Cold Ones not so deeply. This is coming from an old school Lizardmen collector. 

Go all out and make them a Land of the Lost/Dino Riders Faction, give them Ape Men and monstrous Primordial beasts, give us Howdahs loaded with Skinks atop Sauropods and Kroxigors loaded onto Dimetrodon!!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Zeblasky said:

Which were for TW:W3, not for Old World. And I'm not even sure that those concepts were done by GW employees and not CA ones.

This is just rewriting history. We were getting Kislev updates from the Old World team for ages before they were announced by CA for TWW3. Literally the first couple previews we got for the Old World were just Kislev and a map. It's what makes me doubt these rumors so hard, "ignore the thing the literally started doing Old World Previews with, it doesn't mean anything" feels like pure wishlisting.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, madmac said:

This is just rewriting history. We were getting Kislev updates from the Old World team for ages before they were announced by CA for TWW3. Literally the first couple previews we got for the Old World were just Kislev and a map. It's what makes me doubt these rumors so hard, "ignore the thing the literally started doing Old World Previews with, it doesn't mean anything" feels like pure wishlisting.

WH3 was already heavily in development at that point though.

Edited by Zeblasky

I mean the development of Old World and TWW3 seem very deeply interlinked. It seems to me that as the success of Total War Warhammer has evolved the relationship with Games Workshop has become much stronger. I can imagine the choice of Kislev being something that would be worked out alongside eachother. Wasn't there also even an article stating that GW had access to all the model files that Creative Assembly developed? I think it was sometime during the Kislev announcement but it could have been someone speculating on this forum...

All of this is to say, that I am desperately hoping for some Tzeentch Cavalry.