The Rumour Thread

Need to watch the preview but just saw all the pics. The models are absolutely beautiful. Nailed the aesthetic of the Orruks, and those Hobgobs, I always pictured them with a yellow/orange skin tone and they look brilliant. So excited la it looks sick. 

However, and that's a big however. I'll probably have to wait till these are released separately. Reading 'we made LOTS of copies but it will be available while stocks last' made my eyes roll. 

So that translates to, it'll be sold out in seconds and Ebay will be flooded with scalpers and hardly any fans will have the chance to get one. 

Unless they said something different on stream, really hoped GW would have changed their habits after the countless other times now. Fool me I guess. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Black_Templar_Lad said:

Need to watch the preview but just saw all the pics. The models are absolutely beautiful. Nailed the aesthetic of the Orruks, and those Hobgobs, I always pictured them with a yellow/orange skin tone and they look brilliant. So excited la it looks sick. 

However, and that's a big however. I'll probably have to wait till these are released separately. Reading 'we made LOTS of copies but it will be available while stocks last' made my eyes roll. 

So that translates to, it'll be sold out in seconds and Ebay will be flooded with scalpers and hardly any fans will have the chance to get one. 

Unless they said something different on stream, really hoped GW would have changed their habits after the countless other times now. Fool me I guess. 

Yeah I rolled my eyes too. Exactly what they’ve said before, ‘we’ve made lots’.

• Like 1

I finally managed to sit down and look at all this tonight... I'm going to preface this by saying that individually I think all the models are stunning...  Even kragnos 

However .... This whole new destruction thing feels badly contrived, rushed and poorly executed ... Kragnos doesn't "belong" .... And it's a real shame.

It feels like the design meeting went a bit like this:

"Guys, destruction focus for 3.0! ... They need a huge centerpiece... Thoughts!?"

"Well, Steve, Destruction all pretty much worship gorkamorka, how about a massive god scale model of him?"

"Great idea Kevin! .... But, we don't have time to design that! .... Is there anything we could use now?"

"Well, I guess I've got this weird centaur guy, he doesn't really fit with anything .... But if we scale him up 309% maybe no one will notice how half arsed it all is?

"Kevin you've done it again!! .... Great work! ... Can you add some kinda orky totem thing to his base? ... Might help us sell this codswhollop to the fans?"

"Leave it with me Steve!"

Edited by CarkFish
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

I finally managed to sit down and look at all this tonight... I'm going to preface this by saying that individually I think all the models are stunning...  Even kragnos 

However .... This whole new destruction thing feels badly contrived, rushed and poorly executed ... Kragnos doesn't "belong" .... And it's a real shame.

"Guys, destruction focus for 3.0! ... They need a huge centerpiece... Thoughts!?"

"Well, Steve, Destruction all pretty much worship gorkamorka, how about a massive god scale model of him?"

"Great idea Kevin! .... But, we don't have time to design that! .... Is there anything we could use now?"

"Well, I guess I've got this weird centaur guy, he doesn't really fit with anything .... But if we scale him up 309% maybe no one will notice how half arsed it all is?

"Kevin you've done it again!! .... Great work! ... Can you add some kinda orky totem thing to his base? ... Might help us sell this codswhollop to the fans?"

Haters gonna hate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

The red could be just the colour of the squig used to make the shield.

Yes, but they look more like metal than hide/leather. Or at least that's my impression.

49 minutes ago, Envyus said:

The Ironjawz actually punch their armour into shape they consider it just like fighting. Ard Boys are considered wannabe by the proper ones cause they had to forge the armour instead of forcing it into shape.

Oh, really? I remember it wrong then. Maybe it was my headcanon for the bright yellow armour, lol.

5 minutes ago, Grotbag Scuttlers When said:

Yes, but they look more like metal than hide/leather. Or at least that's my impression.

The material is quite unclear to me, it doesn't fit the metal bits (the leader has more plates on his mount and body), but it also doesn't really read like leather, or wood.

It also would be strange to paint that metal, but not the nails holding it.

Edited by zilberfrid

4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

The material is quite unclear to me, it doesn't fit the metal bits (the leader has more plates on his mount), but it also doesn't really read like leather, or wood.

It might be wood with a tightly stretched squig hide bolted on it... but again, to achieve such look (there is no loose hide) would require some advanced craftmanship that they just don't seem to have.

EDIT:  Down here it looks a lot more like hide/leather IMO

Spoiler

DomPreview May29 MiscContent5

Edited by Grotbag Scuttlers When
  • Like 1

I think the box looks great, hopefully i can get a copy!

I was predicting a chariot for SCE. I was thinking the rumour engine that turned out to be the Knight Judicator would be for it; i was imagining a Chariot with a Ballista on top so i'm a bit disappointed it's a bog standard Chariot, maybe i'll do a conversion.

Krueleboyz look great, not a fan of the Hobgrots though.

*shrugs*

If you want to think the shield / banner isn't Kragnos' face, then do so. Assume it's Mork's face instead. Or the Orruk Sun. Or whatever you decide it is.

Who cares, anyway ? Once you bought the miniatures, you do what you want. And your opponent do the same with his own miniatures. So don't try to tell someone else what he doesn't want to. ;)

About the miniatures, I like the new style of the Stormcast Eternals to be honest. I also like the troops have mixed genders. But that's not enough to me, that's just a tease. I want to see what they'll really bring with the Stormcast Eternal Battletome. I wonder if they'll add "new" troops with ranged weapons (looking how Sigmar is nostalgic nowadays, maybe storm arquebuses and storm cannons ? :P ) or new cavalry.

About the kruleboyz...really hard not to think "Mordor invades AoS", here. Even with the "not chaos dwarf hobgoblins". I guess they're cool and all, but yeah...the inspiration is very obvious here.

• Haha 1

I’m really liking the new orcs. Love hoe they used the ‘red face shaped’ shields that are a classic orc trope in warhammer and gave it a new spin. They seem like a joy to paint with all the leather, trinkets and face-shields. Ik like hoe they have different proportions, wit relative long torsos and arms and shorter legs. However, those proportions also look a bit funny when mounted. 

the new stormcast have some cool designs, but for the basic design I actually like the more angular, bulky designs of the sacrosanct. The face masks in particular look worse. But things like the bodyguard unit and banner bearer are very nice. Maybe one day I’ll finally paint a small stormcast force with NMM (maybe as a commission?)

the lore for the new orcs and kragnos seems pretty poor. I’ve also read the synopsis of the Kragnos book and I can’t help but feel dissapointed. So much build up, which was all great, with such dissapointing endings. 

Some predictions concerning the starter sets based on how it went in 40k.

The Vindictors, Praetors, Gutrippaz and Hobgrots are all on separete sprues. (Vindicators and Hobgrots have two sprues each)

Yndrasta, Knight-Vexillor and the Annihilators share a sprues same as the Killaboss on Gnashtoof, Murknob with Banna and the Boltboyz.

Knight-Arcanum and Killaboss on foot share a sprue same as Lord-Imperatant and the Shaman.

I can see two ways this can go based on if they do a starter with terrain like 40k or not

With Terrain:

Smallest set: 5x Vindicators, 10x Hobgrots so half as much as in Dominion and have the Killaboss/Knight- Arcanum Sprue

Medium size: will add 3x Praetors and 10x Gutrippaz and either instead of the Killaboss/Knight- Arcanum Sprue or additionally the Shaman/Lord-Imperatant sprue (probably instead of based on 40k)

The big one will have the same models as the medium one together with terrain, maybe some swamp terrain?

The sprue with Yndrasta, Knight-Vexillor and the Annihilators and the Killaboss on Gnashtoof, Murknob with Banna and the Boltboyz sprue will be sold as direct only in a few months (they did the same thing with 40k)

Without Terrain: 

The small and medium sets will be the same but the big one will have the Yndrasta, Knight-Vexillor, Annihilators and the Killaboss on Gnashtoof, Murknob with Banna,  Boltboyz sprues instead of terrain and probably miss the Killaboss/Knight- Arcanum Sprue and the Shaman/Lord-Imperatant sprue so there isn't so much overlap with Dominion.

Additionally the Vindictors, Praetors, Gutrippaz and Hobgrots will probably all be sold separetly, maybe the Annihilators/Boltboyz will get a multipart release but I woudn't bet on it, with Indomitus both the Blade Guard and Eradicators from the SM half got multipart releases but nothing from the necron side got one 

Edited by Matrindur
  • Thanks 1

Wild speculation.

The Kruelboyz are so similar to the LotR Orcs and Goblins that I wonder if GW lawyers didn't have to check with the film company.  😄

In Cursed City we got a hero very much of the traditional Wood Elf vibe.

This makes me wonder if we might see Forest Lords of Arborea or whatever in a very similar vein.

18 minutes ago, elfhead said:

I’m really liking the new orcs. Love hoe they used the ‘red face shaped’ shields that are a classic orc trope in warhammer and gave it a new spin. They seem like a joy to paint with all the leather, trinkets and face-shields. Ik like hoe they have different proportions, wit relative long torsos and arms and shorter legs. However, those proportions also look a bit funny when mounted. 

I also really get an Ian Miller vibe from these orcs. but really, it's the '80's Bob Olley sculpts:

524594138_24thfebruary2015031.JPG.ee10107003fd1ec28440fbdc5b2eff2b.JPG

• Like 9

1 hour ago, EchoHavoc said:

Haters gonna hate.

It’s not hate, it’s poor design. It’s like giving the seraphon a new giant centerpiece model of a giant horned rat. Makes no sense for the seraphon and makes shaven players weep

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

It’s not hate, it’s poor design. It’s like giving the seraphon a new giant centerpiece model of a giant horned rat. Makes no sense for the seraphon and makes shaven players weep

At the same time one thing we see more so with the Mortal Realms over the Old World, is that races in the Mortal Realms are far more inter-mingled. In the Old World most races kept very very much to themselves. Dwarves and Elves might trade and work as mercenaries for humans, but by and large they were outsiders. Same for humans in dwarf cities and the like. It happened, but they were always outsiders and it was often traders and the like not massive intermingling. 

AoS has a lot more intermingling and in the lore we even have Orruks and the like running shops and retail and the like within Cities of Sigmar. Even if their faction at large is more nomadic. 

That said I do see your point and its a fine line for GW to walk. On the one hand intermigling on the tabletop does show that its a living world where not everything fits within specific rigid lines. On the other hand most players do prefer to see unified visual aesthetics within armies. AoS has even taken good strides in allowing alliances, but hindering outright mash-up armies from being a thing. Lets not forget we've hit the 3rd edition and we've not seen a reprint of the Grand Alliance books. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Nos Exactly, the shields look great and distinctively old school greenskins, to the point where if they just said that these are meant to be swamp spirits or the face of Mork or whatever, it would work. The whole faction’s aesthetic is great and clearly well developed, it’s just that when they say “this is all about Kragnos” I’m left thinking “really though?”

A Kruleboys faction which did not have Kraggie in its background would look no different to these guys. It’s like they took a classic bit of greenskin aesthetic, built on it, and then at the last second said it’s associated with another new mini. It’s not a disaster and it can be safely ignored - the only hint of any real association with Kragnos is the word of the WHC crew and those curling horns on the banner - it’s just oddly superficial.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 7

I like the Dominion box very much, but something got me worried. Wit these new SCE models, we didn't see Sigmar pushing THE RED BUTTON. So what about 3 remaining chambers? What would be the better time to introduce a new chamber than next AOS edition? Or maybe GW is going not to mention Covenant, Ruination and Logister chamber in next bottletome... What do you guys think?

Love the new orcs, don't like the name its a touch too much a Blood Bowl team name.
Love the new sculpts on both sides. Tad annoyed the new orcs are as large in scale as they look, as its going to be harder to mix them with the already huge collection of other orcs I have from other collections, but I kind of expected that anyway to be honest. Want to paint those orcs so much though. I've always been a greenskin collector, but always Goblins, grots, snotlings and very rarely do I paint orcs/ork.

Love the shields, though they do appear to me as if they were meant to be squig faces and the 'Oh they don't know what Kragnos looks like' seems like something they slipped into the love to cover for the fact that these orcs are missing squigs now or for inserting Kragnos into their lore.

Love the stormcast chariot. Its not the best sculpt but I'm pleased that chariots are back as I keep buying them from elsewhere and want to see more races get new ones.

Core book art is one of the best bits of AoS art we've had so far. Seen a lot more art in the past couple of months that I think is much better than the usually AoS art they've been using.

Nothing in the rules talk that says to me that we really needed to move from 2nd ed to a 3rd, and nothing at all that makes me think that my group will switch from our games of 1st & skirmish.

DO NOT like they basically introduced this set by doing the FOMO 'We made lots, buy it quick, quick, quick.' Which just says to me they didn't make anywhere near enough (why would they, how would they shift these models and new starter sets later on at increased price points if this was available to all that want it). And then they were cagey about the prices 'inferring' that it is about the same size content wise as the 40k one, which says to me it will be at a higher price point. No mention of a MTO, though I don't expect they would, as AoS isn't as popular as 40k.

If I am able to order this set in the 7 minutes its available, I'm likely to expand the Orcs with the other kits. Many of the stormcast will be converted to chaos warriors, so that's another set or two of Slaanesh kits that will brought alongside them. Plus I tend to paint armies up for group to use/borrow for campaigns, so that's the chance more kits get brought if they want other stuff added to the borrowing armies from this set. But if its too much of a hassle to buy, sells out or as I've most commonly been affected by when ordering in the couple of years- overselling the item and not informing me then I won't be making further purchases this edition. I'm already not thrilled at the prospect at getting up and hammering the refresh button (which just adds to the issue) in hopes that I can get a copy before the website zonks out or it sells out. Really takes the fun out the hobby and feels like a chore. GW might not care about one person not being able to buy this, but it really will affect quite a number of sales going forward over the next year or two from my group for sure. I'll spend the money that was going in to this into more oathmark& Victrix kits most likely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CarkFish said:

Said the thing as well.... Kragnos is a BOC reject with a terribly unfortunate face sculpt. Destruction deserved a way more fitting leader (if they ever needed one, they're Destruction.... one big bad really doesn't fit their style).

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Corrected name of Kragnos as was swear word
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Three years seems like a long time to drag out that hint. Chaos is the only GA that hasn't had a completely new army that AoS can safely call it's own* and Chorfs seem the perfect way to go about that, especially with Legion of Azgorh gone and a Chaos Dwarf DLC for Total War: Warhammer 3 being a definite question of 'when' and not 'if'. 

*By which I mean, almost the entire range being brand new kits without having a large proportion of recycled WHFB kits.

We're AoS' sisters of battle... just a bit shorter and more burny.

1 hour ago, Souleater said:

Not my work, so kudos to the unknown creator but I now believe that the Lord-Impertinent got his title from calling Sigmar 'Dave'

FB_IMG_1622314150403.jpg

If I had likes left, you could have had them all..  This sir... is inspired.

All we need is Sigdel and Rodders. It probably explains why he looks like he's been reforged so many times.

Edited by Kaleb Daark

The new Dominion box set is magnificent. I wasn’t initially a huge fan of the new Stormcast design but as a cohesive collection of models - wow. I thought the last box set was incredible but I think this is even better. As for Kragnos, perhaps not my cup of tea but I think he will look just fine leading a bunch of these swamp goblins.