The Rumour Thread

26 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

They also spilled the tea that Sigvald is, in fact, Slaanesh‘s offspring (Newborn). At some point Eddy Eccles called him a Demi-God.

I wouldn't treat it as evidence, personally. They've used that term for various powerful heroes through the ages, and the newborn is described as serpentine and winged. Plus there's this mirror subplot that seems to relate to Sigvald, too.

• Like 2

The Twinsoul heads are kind of growing on me. I can see the intent, the broadening and smoothing out of the face making something quite inhuman. It doesn't always land but even where it's funny looking, like this dude, it has a certain creepy, sweaty, giggling, psychopathic charm. Looks like someone who'd cut himself while staring at you, grinning, before going for the kill.

1091016181_Screenshot2020-11-21at21_26_04.png.a81eff16c1fd42ba0be83bcbd5f6a664.png

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, sandlemad said:

The Twinsoul heads are kind of growing on me. I can see the intent, the broadening and smoothing out of the face making something quite inhuman. It doesn't always land but even where it's funny looking, like this dude, it has a certain creepy, sweaty, giggling, psychopathic charm. Looks like someone who'd cut himself while staring at you, grinning, before going for the kill.

1091016181_Screenshot2020-11-21at21_26_04.png.a81eff16c1fd42ba0be83bcbd5f6a664.png

I tend to think the silliness of these heads is 95% just due to the standard Eavy Metal high contrast paintjob.

Something more pallid, shaded in light purples would look suitably alien and creepy and I kind of love what these faces offer to other painters. 

• Like 2

Just now, sandlemad said:

I'm on the opposite side. At first they didn't bother me but now I just find them ugly. If, and that's a  big if, I do a Slaanesh army one day, I'll just cut their head and swap for a Sister of Silence head instead. It'll just look like the one whose already bearing a mask.

3 minutes ago, Benkei said:

The Newborn is obviously Fulgrim

Newborn/Fulgrim dual kit is actually a solid idea, design wise. I'm sure sales departament is not happy that Magnus and Mortarion are 40k only, sole exceptions in the entire daemon range. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they actually did this.

1 minute ago, dekay said:

Newborn/Fulgrim dual kit is actually a solid idea, design wise. I'm sure sales departament is not happy that Magnus and Mortarion are 40k only, sole exceptions in the entire daemon range. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they actually did this.

Well in that case they shouldn't be happy with Archaon being AoS only...

If you're right however, I fear that the price of that kit would be insane..

So, I definitely don't like the faces, but I 100% think that that's the point, and that they are supposed to be disturbing. I think they are precisely what they were intended to be, so the fact that I find them creepy in all the wrong ways and don't like them paradoxically means that they are great!

But then I don't collect Slaanesh, so I don't have to paint any. If they were for one of my armies then I would be put off, however thematically appropriate the aesthetic was. I can thus understand people who were hoping to like them being put off.

I guess that's why I prefer pretty models to grotesque ones in general.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

On a different note, I had the same initial reaction to the twinsouls heads as everyone else, but having thought it through a bit I kinda like them. They are definitely in that uncanny valley territory where they are close enough to human to make their wrongness genuinely unsettling. That makes them difficult to look at, but isn't that the point? They could have totally beautiful human faces or totally alien and horrific daemon faces and either of those would be pretty easy to look at because they look like we expect them to. These faces are somewhere in between, which fits the lore perfectly.

I hate them, but at the same time I kinda think they are exactly as they should be.

I feel you have absolutely nailed the design impetus of these models. I think that the uncanniness of the Twinsouls is totally part of their appeal.  Their grotesque features contrast to the intricacies of their weapons and armour creating a disturbing unease. I feel these models tell a fantastic visual story of aesthetic obsession has gone awry.

Which brings us to @Clif Blunderbrows fantastic points:

6 hours ago, Clif Blunderbrows said:

Just want to throw out there that I, for one, am actually a huge fan of the unhelmeted twinsouls faces. It’s like they were once conventionally attractive, but then just kept pushing the sliders further and further until they warped into grotesque.  I think it’s a very nuanced sort of disturbing that is difficult to pinpoint, and the sculptors really nailed it!

Slaanesh has always been about the slide between the beautiful and abject. I love how these models have an almost Francis Bacon sensibility to them. Of all the Chaos gods Slaanesh seems to be the most brazenly affective and that is why the line always appealed to me. Khorne's gore, Nurgle's rot and Tzeentch's mutations seem to make people much less uncomfortable than mixing allure with revulsion. I am just sad that Slaanesh has been tied to homophobic and transphobic memes and stories as I otherwise adore the models and even a lot of the lore. 

I also like how they directly contrast Sigvald who I can imagine smugly thinking, "I totally pulled off the demon-hybrid thing way better than any of you".

Also, I hope none of this comes off as me trying to tell people to like the models, as everyone has their own tastes. I am simply explaining why I think they are really well designed and interesting in my personal opinion. Particularly that the response they elicit seems to be part of the design sensibilities.

Or just read @EccentricCircle's post above, as it says the same thing a more coherent fashion. 😅

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 8

9 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

Amazingly, when I saw Step 9 to Step 10, I pictured the exact same owl meme in my head.

That meme is how I feel about a very large number of step by step painting "tutorials". So many of GWs feel like thinly veiled paint adverts. There is so much more to good painting than just telling people what order to highlight things in, and that, by the way, they should thin their paints...

5 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

I'm sorry to say this but deamonettes to me are probably the most ugly models in whole aos range. The first thing Slaanesh needs is a new battleline. Slaangors are a good way to go. Not a new elite unit presented today. Although their armor is cool.

Not a huge fan of Daemonettes myself (they are too static, IMHO), but...

image.png.ca8ca233e8e6f2159826b610c06aa0d1.png

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

To me personally it evokes the feeling of celebrities who chase beauty with such zeal (or perhaps excess?) that their tightened, botox-filled faces start to look unnerving. Thematically that would fit Slaaneshi mortals well!

• Like 10

So, considering at least 1multibuild kit, 1 named hero, and the new lord of pain. Plus the very likely (seen in video) Slaangors and archers, plus another Hero (looks like a sorcerer). Seems like a probable 6 new kits.

Does that make Slaanesh the first non Stormcast AOS army to get a wave 2 release that was more than just a hero?

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sandlemad said:

Is that tri-blade also functioning as a mirror?!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Overread said:

ALSO in other good news the new Gotrek and Felix Omnibus 5 goes on sale with all these stories inside it Road of Skulls, The Serpent Queen, Charnel Congress, Marriage of Moment, Berthold’s Beard, The Reckoning, The Contest, Into the Valley of Death, Curse of the Everliving. 

And the Kindle ebook version is (at least on the UK amazon) on sale right now, so if you want all those stories to read a week in advance of the book going live for sale next weekend - get it now!

The Lost Kinsmen is now the only short story about Gotrek from Myth and Legends never to have been republished. All other stories from the main story arc, Myth and Legends and Lost Stories are in a new omnibus.

6 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

The Lost Kinsmen is now the only short story about Gotrek from Myth and Legends never to have been republished. All other stories from the main story arc, Myth and Legends and Lost Stories are in a new omnibus.

Far as I can tell these are the stories which are as yet not currently in one of the Five Omnibus editions

City of the Damned 
Golgfag’s Revenge
Gotrek & Felix: Myths and Legends (Death and Glory!, Lord of Undeath, The Lost Kinsmen)

End Times stories
1 Kinslayer
Rememberers (short story)
2 Slayer

So there's potential for 2 more Omnibus. One that includes the last two stories and then the myths and legends stories of the original tales and then a final "End Times" collected Omnibus.