The Rumour Thread

53 minutes ago, Gnawdwell said:

True, I'm starting to wonder if they won't be released before after the new BB edition comes out. Besides, BB is not AOS related in my mind although i see the overlap, it being fantasy,  Necromunda on the other hand can hardly be considered an AOS release :D

Yeah, could be the new season. The new season that also has some glorious human sculpts in them Here. Somehow, I want to make a CoS Warcry team from those guys.

Correct about Necromunda. Just was a bit excited for them.

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 1

Allies rules of SoB are out: this is the worse possible thing that I could imagine and this definitely kills  my interest to SoB miniatures: I wanted to be able to choose the Behemats to ally to each specific build of each specific army that I have. But instead, you only have the choice of ONE giant kind for chaos, one for order and one for Death (and all for destruction). This is a completly dumb restrictive yet arbitrary rule. I won't buy any of those mini. I just play them with proxy that I will print (3D resin).  

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Allies rules of SoB are out: this is the worse possible thing that I could imagine and this definitely kills  my interest to SoB miniatures: I wanted to be able to choose the Behemats to ally to each specific build of each specific army that I have. But instead, you only have the choice of ONE giant kind for chaos, one for order and one for Death (and all for destruction). This is a completly dumb restrictive yet arbitrary rule. I won't buy any of those mini. I just play them with proxy that I will print (3D resin).  

That was released in an article earlier this week I believe. I think it's sorta cool, and it adds some personality with the extra rule. I obviously won't be referring to my gargant as Bundo, but I will be using those rules.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chikout said:

There are a few things to think about when considering gw's release strategy. 

1- they have looong term goals.

Gw wants aos to be a going concern for the next 50 plus years. In order to maintain interest over time they have a slower release rate of new armies than we would like. Currently they tend to do one all new army and 3 or 4 updated armies each year. This year the Lumineth are all new and the gargants are an update. We may yet see updated Slaanesh and daughters this year, but that is still rather slow. With 24 books currently out that's a new update every 6 or so years. 

2- gw relies on known big sellers. 

Gw has survived as long as it has largely thanks to the popularity of the space marines. There was a time when the tactical squad was selling better than the whole fantasy range. This means that gw returns to the well of space marines more than any other army. This has carried over to aos to a limited extent. We can reasonably expect a new range of stormcast minis every two to three years. Unfortunately this knocks back  everything else in the queue. 

3- gw's production and storage capacity is a major bottleneck.

Every kit that gw adds to the kit is something that needs to be manufactured, stored in warehouses and manufactured again when stock runs out. This is why battleboxes have such limited runs and don't usually get reprinted. What gw wants is a limited number of kits that can be produced sold and cleared off warehouse shelves quickly to make way for the next product while giving a guaranteed return on gw's investment. 

There was an interview with Adam Troke when he was in charge of lotr where he said he had to negotiate for warehouse space so that gw would let them rerelease some old minis. 

All this is going to say that gw is physically incapable of producing new minis at the rate that many fans would want. 

Books avoid a lot of these problems. They are printed in China and are available digitally which reduces the amount of physical copies that need to be produced.  (This does make gw's decision to abandon digital codexes in 40k rather strange)

This has led to gw producing a huge number of books in recent years but a relatively small number of minis in comparison. Unfortunately the lack of writing staff, just 8 or so rules writers compared to over 30 miniature designers in the main studio, has led to books feeling rushed.

4- the future

Gw has been working on addressing some of these problems. They have been building new factory facilities and new warehouses in both the UK and America. Potentially this could result in an increased rate of miniature releases. 

Unfortunately what with one thing or another we probably wont see those improvements for a while. 

We also tend to overlook the fact that GW as a singular company produce rules and models for 3 large scale games (40k, AoS, LotR) and several smaller games (kill team, necromunda, warcry, bloodbowl, underworlds) That while being separate dev teams all eat from the same plate of available production capacity. 

• Like 2

Not really apropos of anything, but the more I see of the new giants, the less I like them. I'm of course delighted for the folks who have been looking forward to them, but while I was initially moderately intrigued about the idea of being able to put giants in any faction, I ultimately don't think I have any particular interest in this faction.

I think the problem is that they've gone all in on what I'll call (to put this in terms which will be familiar to any D&D players reading this...) the "Hill Giant" aesthetic. In other words Its all lumbering, slovenly, half naked giants who look a bit dim.

I've always much preferred the Frost Giant aesthetic, heavily armoured, kind of Viking looking giants with magical weapons and ancient lore. I think there was so much potential to have made the Mega Gargants something more primal and elemental than their smaller kin, not just larger. Maybe more civilised giants will come, but until they do I'm not too fussed about this faction.

Which is fair enough, given the price tag I doubt I could afford them anyway!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Not really apropos of anything, but the more I see of the new giants, the less I like them. I'm of course delighted for the folks who have been looking forward to them, but while I was initially moderately intrigued about the idea of being able to put giants in any faction, I ultimately don't think I have any particular interest in this faction.

I think the problem is that they've gone all in on what I'll call (to put this in terms which will be familiar to any D&D players reading this...) the "Hill Giant" aesthetic. In other words Its all lumbering, slovenly, half naked giants who look a bit dim.

I've always much preferred the Frost Giant aesthetic, heavily armoured, kind of Viking looking giants with magical weapons and ancient lore. I think there was so much potential to have made the Mega Gargants something more primal and elemental than their smaller kin, not just larger. Maybe more civilised giants will come, but until they do I'm not too fussed about this faction.

Currently running a D&D game about giants, and I took the hill giants out, not my aesthetic, no interesting story options.

As such, similarely safe.

Still happy for King Brodd though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do we know anything about next "big" release, or will there be any battletomes before when the next edition probably lands around summer time?

My wild guess is no and only releases we are going to get are campaign book with maybe couple model releases with them.

Then new Aos edition in summer with stormcast and new army.

2 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

Do we know anything about next "big" release, or will there be any battletomes before when the next edition probably lands around summer time?

My wild guess is no and only releases we are going to get are campaign book with maybe couple model releases with them.

My hope is that new army is either Grotbag Scuttlers or Chaos dwarfs in full plastic.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

Personally I too wouldve loved the Frost Giant aesthetic with heavy armour or covered in furs such as Game of Thrones. Obviously I'm in love with the current Megas and I look forward to how moving forward the Sons will be updated in the years to come.

They could very well end up doing Frost Gargants at some point down the line, my only concern is they dont do anything extra at all and they remain as the 2 kit army the are.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Personally I too wouldve loved the Frost Giant aesthetic with heavy armour or covered in furs such as Game of Thrones. Obviously I'm in love with the current Megas and I look forward to how moving forward the Sons will be updated in the years to come.

They could very well end up doing Frost Gargants at some point down the line, my only concern is they dont do anything extra at all and they remain as the 2 kit army the are.

Yeah, I definitely hope that they do well enough to merit expansion! While I doubt they'd go the actual D&D route of Hill, Stone, Fire, Frost and cloud giants I could see something themed around the mortal Realms, so Albionesque life Giants from Ghyran, flaming Aqshyian Giants wielding bright magic and so on. Hopefully we'll see some cool conversions in that vein in the coming months.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Yes to both!

I also really want Malerion, but I also think that we have had an over abundance of Aelves lately.

I don't think it, I know it! in the past two-three years We've gotten Deepkin, DoK, and now "Not Hashut" ِelves(not to mention CoS armies), its time the dawi got some love!

Edited by TheR00zle
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Frost titans along with other magic gargants do appear in the lore. During the Realmgate Wars when the Hallowed Knights were taking Alarielle's vulnerable form (as she had not transformed into her war aspect yet) away from encroaching chaos forces a huge Frost Jotunn aided their escape by  freezing a lake so they could cross.

The lore for the Sons so far does some very good things for people not feeling these designs. One is that it's making clear that though Behemat was a life god-beast he had more connections to Gorkamorka and Ghur as a rival and champion so these gargants represent that by being more brutish and even having a Waaagh effect when around Aleguzzlers who sober up and fall in line as Mancrushers.

That makes these a clear Ghur variant and in Behemat's background he saved his siblings from the stomach of their father so this would account for the different gargants mentioned in the lore as they spread out after that. Making different varieties like the Storm Gargants in Azyr that helped God-king Sigmar or the disciplined Aqshy Steppe army of Gargants whose barrier magic and massive spear ranks behind their gatehouses stopped the endless hordes of Khorne for a time before he decided to just break reality and punch the Khanate bastion with his continent-sized fist.

So it's very possible this is holding the door open for more tribe sub-factions, as they're doing with the Lumineth, as we discover the Sons of other God-beasts in the realms that escaped with their brother Behemat.

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

15 minutes ago, TheR00zle said:

I don't think it, I know it! in the past two-three years We've gotten Deepkin, DoK, and now "Not Hashut" ِelves(not to mention CoS armies), its time the dawi got some love!

I wonder if GW's aim is to have AoS full of more aelves than humans - in contrast to so many other fantasy settings where humans are often the default greatest population and elves and dwarves are normally heading on their way out. Heck Tolkien started that and Old World was very much the same - elves and dwarves had blasted each other in the War of the Beard and had never recovered. 

It might be nice to have a setting with humans but where humans are far from top dog (save for Slaves to Darkness who kinda are top dog) 

• Like 4

Haha, would explain all the little Hyrule nods like the Moonclan warband with a shroomsniffer sprite that looks like Navi and that symbol that looks like the Triforce on the Seraphon Realmshaper. xD

But yeah, I love that aelves, duardin and even other races like Sanskrits of Ghur and underwater daemons in the big Deepkin novel show they're expanding races and empires that are flourishing alongside humans who are just carving out kingdoms again as colonists or recovering tribes in contrast.

Edited by Baron Klatz

29 minutes ago, Overread said:

I wonder if GW's aim is to have AoS full of more aelves than humans - in contrast to so many other fantasy settings where humans are often the default greatest population and elves and dwarves are normally heading on their way out. Heck Tolkien started that and Old World was very much the same - elves and dwarves had blasted each other in the War of the Beard and had never recovered. 

It might be nice to have a setting with humans but where humans are far from top dog (save for Slaves to Darkness who kinda are top dog) 

The D&D campaign I'm cooking up is similar to this idea.  Dwarfs and Elves are the major civilizations while Humans are just short lived people living on the outskirts.  I think it's more interesting then the constant "Humans are special" we see in most Fantasy.

But for AoS I think the general idea is that the majority of Humanity fell to Chaos.  So when someone asks for an  "Average" Human, you can just point them to SoD

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I'm fine with it because it ties Sons back in better with their 'home' faction of Destruction. I never liked the whole mercenary thing because it took away from a GA that really needed a big (no pun) unique novelty to it and giving out Giants left, right and centre to everybody soured that. Now everybody 'can' get their big centre piece model if they want, but ultimately Destruction get the most options by virtue of it being their home faction.

Besides, you can just model 'em how you wish. It's not like the rules are really that different. 

6 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

My guess is we'll get a Christmas Day reveal for the next army like we did Gloomspite. That or they always do New Years Day event where they show off a lot of Quarter 1 releases. 

I think most of AoS' release cycle up until 3.0 in June/July will be the Not-Psychic Awakening books with a few releases, probably Heroes, sprinkled in with each book and maybe a sizeable release for one or two armies in a similar vein to Mechanicus in Engine War but I wouldn't expect any new Battletomes save the new army (if we get one) as they'll probably use Not-PA as stopgaps leading into 3.0.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Overread said:

I don’t think so. Humans are again the ones being basically everywhere. They are even the most populous people in places like Ulgu. I doubt that elves and dwarves can ever challenge them in this setting. 

But I agree, and I’m super happy that they did away with the elves and dwarves are on their way out trope. This has been done to death and is the default position in 99% of fantasy settings. I don’t think they’ll rival the humans, but at least if you are an elf or dwarf players you are not constantly in that - everything can only become shittier whatever you do, because numbers lol - position. 

Im a bit afraid though that with Broken Realms we are heading exactly that way again with the elves. They have a bloody civil a war, Slaanesh coming back and boom again 90 % of the elves gone and everything is totally ******, and doom and gloom going forward. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LuminethMage said:

I don’t think so. Humans are again the ones being basically everywhere. They are even the most populous people in places like Ulgu. I doubt that elves and dwarves can ever challenge them in this setting. 

But I agree, and I’m super happy that they did away with the elves and dwarves are on their way out trope. This has been done to death and is the default position in 99% of fantasy settings. I don’t think they’ll rival the humans, but at least if you are an elf or dwarf players you are not constantly in that - everything can only become shittier whatever you do, because numbers lol - position. 

Im a bit afraid though that with Broken Realms we are heading exactly that way again with the elves. They have a bloody civil a war, Slaanesh coming back and boom again 90 % of the elves gone and everything is totally ******, and doom and gloom going forward. 

Even the duardin will be sad, as who will we have too make fun of? Seriously though, would be a real shame if the aelves were all massacred because we all know who would be next on the chain.

• Like 2

Has there really been no word on the upcoming Tome Celestial Troggoth stuff? I guess there will be some previews of the WD tomorrow, it just seems rare that nobody saw or heard anything about the potential rules. If they get anything like Jawz of Mork I'd wager a bunch of Troggoth players would be rather excited about that.

14 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

Has there really been no word on the upcoming Tome Celestial Troggoth stuff? I guess there will be some previews of the WD tomorrow, it just seems rare that nobody saw or heard anything about the potential rules. If they get anything like Jawz of Mork I'd wager a bunch of Troggoth players would be rather excited about that.

Sry, this is the 'GW Pricing' thread you need to go to rules section. :D  just kidding

Think could be amazing for the gloomspite players. The army has a lot of potential for different playstyles with a huge model range, hope this will help the troggoths.

Troggoths vs Giants will be cool looking table.

Edited by FireAbend
  • Haha 2