The Rumour Thread

10 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Captura.JPG.52c769cd9a2e0308dcdca9281eefc84d.JPG

Bye bye... artifacts and spells.... Bye bye, Aqshy Scales... Eternal Amulet, Doppelganger Cloak....

(The obvious) question is, which artefacts are there in “the following pages”? A selection of the Malign Sorcery ones or new artefacts entirely? Darn, can’t wait to see the whole thing...

Edited by Thamalys

23 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Captura.JPG.52c769cd9a2e0308dcdca9281eefc84d.JPG

Bye bye... artifacts and spells.... Bye bye, Aqshy Scales... Eternal Amulet, Doppelganger Cloak....

It says "if" you decide your army is from a mortal realm use the below rather than malign sorcery. Ok, my skaven are not from any realm at all and my corrupter cant even remember where he picked up his sword of judgement. At least thats how i hope it works. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would actually like to see the realm artifacts be replaced; one of their main purposes has passed, now all armies have their 2.0 battletome, that purpose being to help bridge the gap between old armies and new, much like the generic command abilities, which might be getting removed too (Quote: Vince Venturella iirc).

I feel like the realm artifacts too often were better choices than some tomes' own, and things like Ethereal Amulet on any monster with a 3+ save just seems like a bad play experience if you didn't have the MW output to deal with it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

I would actually like to see the realm artifacts be replaced; one of their main purposes has passed, now all armies have their 2.0 battletome, that purpose being to help bridge the gap between old armies and new, much like the generic command abilities, which might be getting removed too (Quote: Vince Venturella iirc).

I feel like the realm artifacts too often were better choices than some tomes' own, and things like Ethereal Amulet on any monster with a 3+ save just seems like a bad play experience if you didn't have the MW output to deal with it.

At the same time, losing access to a "common pool" of artifacts will widen the distance between battletomes

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Im not ready to let my sword of judgement go just yet!! 

Nor am I interested in having to pick another artefact over the rune blade (😭).

But it does sound interesting.

new rules that not only make the game a bit more balanced (or maybe not, who knows at this point), and brings some new feature in it does sound great.

but since we don’t know much, there isn’t really a reason to talk about stuff that we don’t really know of.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Well, some relatively weak factions (where by "weak" I mean weaker than your average Tzeench, Fyreslayers or even - dare i say it - Lumineth...) rely on artefacts such as the Ethereal Amulet to mereley get a fighting chance. An example would be Soulblight and/or Legion of Blood (which I both play): without the "staple" Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon with th Etheral Amulet, those factions are going to suffer massively...there aren't so many "competitive" builds out there for those factions to start with, and now we risk to lose the few of them that are actually viable.

14 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

At the same time, losing access to a "common pool" of artifacts will widen the distance between battletomes

Precisely. On the other hand, I do agree with @Dankboss that some artefacts are currenlt making strong factions even stronger... it's a tough one, granted, and we still don't know what the pool of "new" ones looks like... 

6 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Im not ready to let my sword of judgement go just yet!! 

That one's just plainly broken on some characters mate ;) . And yes, same here - I don't wan't to let go my Etheral Amulet at all!!!

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Overread said:

Makes sense-  heck Foregeworld is already sold out of almost all the necron models including their titan. I'd figure GW is also seeing a lot more 40K, esp necron and marine, orders in advance of the launch of the new edition. Gives the factory a moment to get some stock together.

Though I'm surprised they didn't sneak out the giants since its technically just one model kit and a book as well. 

I've had my fingers crossed for weeks for a sneaky Sons of Behemat release. Though I'm sure like the Lumineth they would get articles leading up to their release, though they could just as easily do those in the week up to their pre order release.

45 minutes ago, Laststand said:

It says "if" you decide your army is from a mortal realm use the below rather than malign sorcery. Ok, my skaven are not from any realm at all and my corrupter cant even remember where he picked up his sword of judgement. At least thats how i hope it works. 

The current rules require you to declare that your army is from a particular mortal realm and then choose an artefact from that realm's options in Malign Sorcery. I think it's pretty clear that this new rule is replacing the old one. You definitely can't take Sword of Judgment without declaring that your army is from the proper mortal realm (ulgu was it? I forget).

That said we don't know what options will be available for each realm, so no reason to panic now!

My gaming group already stopped using Malign sorcery artifacts except for narrative campaigns where you have to roll randomly for them, otherwise everyone takes the same handful....  If the realms limit you to once specific artifact in matched play I'm all for it! Reduced realmscape features are  fine for me as well, we don't use 3/4 of them because the rules are too extreme.

26 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

The current rules require you to declare that your army is from a particular mortal realm and then choose an artefact from that realm's options in Malign Sorcery. I think it's pretty clear that this new rule is replacing the old one. You definitely can't take Sword of Judgment without declaring that your army is from the proper mortal realm (ulgu was it? I forget).

That said we don't know what options will be available for each realm, so no reason to panic now!

is this not already the case. For example my stormcast are from the realm of Ulgu. With my lord celestant going for some judgement bombs. Love it;) 
My other artifacts are also from that realm. But i can imagine that i cant do Ulgu artifacts with my own stormcast artifacts in the new rules.

So far I like the new take on Realm rules a lot. Sure gonna be interessting to see what Ghur is gonna be all about?!

Probably less bannanas than the current version.

Also very eager to see if alligeance abilities will take up any space of the book and in what form.

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

is this not already the case. For example my stormcast are from the realm of Ulgu. With my lord celestant going for some judgement bombs. Love it;) 
My other artifacts are also from that realm. But i can imagine that i cant do Ulgu artifacts with my own stormcast artifacts in the new rules.

Yes, it works exactly like you say. @Laststand was saying that he was hoping he could continue to use Sword of Judgment by not declaring a realm under the new rules.

• Like 1

Just now, swarmofseals said:

Yes, it works exactly like you say. @Laststand was saying that he was hoping he could continue to use Sword of Judgment by not declaring a realm under the new rules.

Aah that would be nice, cause i like the narrative about it. And it could take away some power combo's where people combine realm artifacts with there own.

23 hours ago, Overread said:

GW community reps are mostly stuck repeating the company line; if something people want isn't out the community repss can't change much, so they can note it and pass it along, but otherwise directing people are things like warcry was the right and only choice they've got. And lets be fair some of those warbands - like the Unmade - SCREAM SLAANESH from every oozing wound on them.

Am I the only one who saw the Unmade and thought "Tzeentch"? 

8 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Aah that would be nice, cause i like the narrative about it. And it could take away some power combo's where people combine realm artifacts with there own.

It looks like it's just taking away most of the realm artefacts period. We don't know yet what will be left, but I suspect you can take them in combination with allegiance artefacts.

23 hours ago, Overread said:

GW community reps are mostly stuck repeating the company line; if something people want isn't out the community repss can't change much, so they can note it and pass it along, but otherwise directing people are things like warcry was the right and only choice they've got. And lets be fair some of those warbands - like the Unmade - SCREAM SLAANESH from every oozing wound on them.

That said I fully expect to see Slaanesh get a chunky update at some stage - esp considering the other 3 gods have already got a good display of mortal followers. Then again I'd love them to revise depravity to make the tome more than "just take loads of those awesome keeper models" 

5 minutes ago, Nick Stockton said:

Probably not - there's ample reason for any of the Warbands to worship any of the Chaos Gods. Just as Iron Golems can be said to be military style warriors of iron born and bred to fight and collect skulls; they can be lords of excess. Driven to forge steel like bodies with their addiction to the metal. Or a crafty force of highly trained disciplined troops. A take on the Romans that speaks of the machinations of an malignant intelligence of the great Changer of Ways. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, HollowHills said:

Does this mean you can't ignore realm of battle rules? Most matched play players just never use them.

Looks like it from the previewed page at least. Might not be so bad though, I think most people ignored them because they were a little too extreme. A shooting army in Ulgu could pretty much just pack it in and call it a day, while in Aqshy they might be unbeatable. Since it looks like everything has been reworked it'll hopefully be a lot more balanced so people won't just avoid it. I'm still a little concerned though. They need to make the realm rules strong enough that it makes an impact on the game otherwise it'll just end up as more unnecessary paperwork, especially now that they're mandatory, but they can't make them so strong as to tilt the game right from the start. Honestly I'm not really sure how they can find that balance. 

Edited by Grimrock