The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

So this has cropped up, looks like a prospective AoS model of one of John Blanche's famous pieces.

p6z7i9hqz0x31.jpg

Cool idea and not a bad model, though it's a shame they couldn't translate the wonderful dandelion-clock hair to a miniature.

IdK this doesn't look like a modern GW model to me xD - not a fan
Also the base is weirdly high

Edited by JackStreicher

14 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

So this has cropped up, looks like a prospective AoS model of one of John Blanche's famous pieces.

p6z7i9hqz0x31.jpg

Cool idea and not a bad model, though it's a shame they couldn't translate the wonderful dandelion-clock hair to a miniature.

Thinking about it, an Amazonia faction would be a great human Destruction faction. I know someone who'd instantly buy into them. ^^

@sandlemad ah weird/wow! I was just looking at that picture in an old White Dwarf and the original 1986 (I think) sculpt last week. There's a few standout illustrations from that era I've always wanted as minis and this was always one. nice to have an update. looks like resin though which is a shame but still cool!

now if someone at Citadel reads this please re-do the Chaos Warrior from the old Fighting Fantasy miniatures line who appeared on Chris Achilleos' cover of issue 64! I've always wanted a decent version of this bad boy.

show-pic.phtml.jpg

• Like 1

I like that it's clearly a one-off special miniature - far more exciting than yet another variant pose stormcast or marine - but I think I'd like it more if they'd stuck to the 2D oldhammer pose in the brilliant art. Like Slambo. Lots of the individual details are great and suitably Blanchian but still.

Otherwise I think the Necromund Belladonna is probably a better recreation of the spirit of the artwork, even if it's actually the successor to a very different model.

01.jpg

Oh now that is nice! 

Amazonia was an original faction in the Old World that never came to be. Would be fantastic to see them appear and I agree it would give Destruction something else other than "big hulking monsters". Indeed a lithe Amazonian army would be a really powerful contrast.

Just taking a moment here to appreciate that - if the StD Battletome is released this year, which I assume - GW released a full dozen Battletomes for Age of Sigmar within one year.

(And the year isn't over. There could be one more or so)

If I see that correctly that's twice the average since AoS release in 2015 (before 2019 the average was 6 per year, with a maximum of 8 in 2016).

As far as I can see that number of "army book" releases for any Warhammer product was surpassed only once, by Codex releases for 40k in 2018 (13 releases).

Side note: the total number of GW major book releases per year seems to have reached 20 or so, which includes things like General's Handbooks and boxed games.

In years with more AoS releases there are fewer 40k releases and vice versa. This year was an AoS year, with only 5 major releases for 40k and 13 for AoS.
(The number for AoS includes the GHB. The rest are board games and the like).

Edited by Aginor
  • Like 2

It's probably worth noting that 'Amazon Gothique' was the name of the original 1980's painting rather than being tied to the Amazons of actual WHFB background or the 2002 Mordheim warband of Amazons, who were then re-used in White Dwarf for the WHFB Lustria campaign.

Beyond being female warriors in a time when GW didn't have much of them, there's not really any connection. In the same vein, I wouldn't expect this to lead into a new faction or anything bigger for AoS. If anything her visual style is closer to the other weird and wonderful chaos warriors of the time.

12 hours ago, Overread said:

It might simply be because originally Varanguard were designed to be the battalion option for an army of very few models whilst the dracothian was designed to be one of many within a much larger and more diverse army. So the Dracothain's costs and such might (I stress that might) have been partly rolled into investment in the whole army not just one or two individual models. 

Meanwhile the Varanguard was on its own more or less and thus might have had to have made up more of its own profits and expenses as a single model rather than as one part of a much wider army diversity. 

However such theories are only theories, we've no real idea how GW individually balances investments on that level. They do publish their finances each year (as they are a publicly trading company on the stock market) but these are only overview numbers that present things at a more overall level; rather than drilling into the specifics and pricing policies etc... It's basically designed for investors to get an overall idea of the companies major product lines and profits and investments. 

I´ve had a similar theory: GW prices always end up beeing around 400€ for a 2k army (not counting BCR). This would perfectly fit with your explaintation.

11 minutes ago, Charleston said:

I´ve had a similar theory: GW prices always end up beeing around 400€ for a 2k army (not counting BCR). This would perfectly fit with your explaintation.

This is not a theory: this is their business model! BTW, the "400€" estimation is kinda low.  Their idea is you can play with a bit investment, then you can enter serious ly with some more (1500/1750 points+ hobby things -paints, brushes, etc...) then 2k.  Certain armies goes as low as 250€/300€ but most will need 500€+, especially if you  count the endless spells, the scenery and the book (add here the cards eventually).

That mini is wierd. It's a resin sculpt so clearly a limited edition. Usually those are done to promote something but I don't see what it is intended to tie into. 

While it clearly mimics the art, the pose is rather awkward when converted into a 3d mini.

As an aside it was pointed out on Dakka that the rumour pic of the tail doesn't match the new chaos lord. While the shape is similar, the texture is totally different.390399373_images(1).jpeg.a4fb26cddb55f7f086a8346c774d75a6.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chikout said:

That mini is wierd. It's a resin sculpt so clearly a limited edition. Usually those are done to promote something but I don't see what it is intended to tie into. 

While it clearly mimics the art, the pose is rather awkward when converted into a 3d mini.

As an aside it was pointed out on Dakka that the rumour pic of the tail doesn't match the new chaos lord. While the shape is similar, the texture is totally different.390399373_images(1).jpeg.a4fb26cddb55f7f086a8346c774d75a6.jpeg

Over at Lustria Online we came to the same conclusion.

Seraphon not ruled out yet! :)

• LOVE IT! 1

8 minutes ago, Chikout said:

Usually those are done to promote something but I don't see what it is intended to tie into. 

my hunch/dream could be it's possibly for the 2020 Black Library Celebration, we already have the Red Gobbo taking this year's novelty Christmas model slot and the BL weekend was in Feb this year so assuming it's the same next it would make sense that a boxed version would already have been produced and doing the rounds. 

the Severina Raine model they released for this year's was in resin too, for what that's worth.

I say above my dream as the obvious reason for its release on that weekend would be an accompanying book of John Blanche's art from the past few decades released that weekend too.  

Edited by JPjr

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

This is not a theory: this is their business model! BTW, the "400€" estimation is kinda low.  Their idea is you can play with a bit investment, then you can enter serious ly with some more (1500/1750 points+ hobby things -paints, brushes, etc...) then 2k.  Certain armies goes as low as 250€/300€ but most will need 500€+, especially if you  count the endless spells, the scenery and the book (add here the cards eventually).

I have about 6000 points for about € 350, but that's because I mostly purchased second hand Empire collections (with some Bretonnia and wood elves) before CoS came out.

My 2000p Bonereapers will cost me about 350€ when I order from a store with a 20% discount and that doesn't include the Battletome or terrain piece (but it does include the Endless Spell pack). Interestingly the first 1000p is just about 150€. 😅

Edited by Panzer

11 minutes ago, Panzer said:

My 2000p Bonereapers will cost me about 350€ when I order from a store with a 20% discount and that doesn't include the Battletome or terrain piece (but it does include the Endless Spell pack). Interestingly the first 1000p is just about 150€. 😅

If you don't care about competitive play, Nagash, Katakros and 2 boxes of Mortek Guard gives you 1900 points for 200£ and you are free to use any Endless Spell roaming freely in your house :)

6 hours ago, Aginor said:

This year was an AoS year, with only 5 major releases for 40k and 13 for AoS.
(The number for AoS includes the GHB. The rest are board games and the like).

I would include also Forbidden Power as technically it's still an important mini-book that gives us some interesting endless spells, the first sight of mercenaries and 2 new allegiance abilities of which one is actually quite played.

Considering Core Book and GHBs and major expansions (Malign Sorcery and Forbidden Power) that brings us at: 4 in 2019, 9 in 2016, 5 in 2017, 10 in 2018 and a potential 14 in 2019. This excludes the Dominion of Chaos and the Grand Alliances books.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, Overread said:

This is exciting!

RumourEngine-Nov5-Content6hvbbs.jpg

Now that looks like a wing or a sail - could be KO; but could also be something more refined - an aelf airship or flying unit?! Though there are two spikes on the forward arm too. It looks too clean for skaven or grots. 

Whatever it is I get a very strong AoS vibe from it. The only thing in 40K it could be is eldar but whilst they do have sails like that it looks not "eldar" enough to my eye (the edges are not smoothed over and there's non of those gemstones that they are fond of)

Could be something for ironwald arsenal.

maybe an expansion for that faction, since the wing kinda reminds me of a part from the gyrocpter or bomber

28 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

If you don't care about competitive play, Nagash, Katakros and 2 boxes of Mortek Guard gives you 1900 points for 200£ and you are free to use any Endless Spell roaming freely in your house :)

I don't care about competetive play but I care even less about passing on models I want just to save money lol

(also before I get Nagash you'll find me quitting the hobby...)

Edited by Panzer