The Rumour Thread

I didn't say that the AoS battleforces sold badly or will sale badly. 

Those that sold out were super good deal. Ex: DoK which doesn't have a SC! . I just say according to the current meta/game/sales, there should be good contenders and some outsiders. If the gloomspite has a good content, it can be sold out quicly. It is easy to do a themed battleforce. On the other hand, for NH, it'd be more difficult. I hope that the Stormcast one and the Skaven one will have the big guys included.

Edited by GeneralZero

55 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Nighthaunt I wouldn't buy, the army is really weak. If it has a lot of bladeghast and some chainrasps it might be decent for a LoN list. Otherwise while the model value may be high, the usable model value will be low. 

Stormcast and skaven may be OK. Gloomspite will probably be the same as nighthaunt. 

Personally I couldn't care less about that. If I think an army is cool I'll buy into it regardless of whether it's strong or not. I'm not playing warhammer just to win tournaments after all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Panzer said:

Personally I couldn't care less about that. If I think an army is cool I'll buy into it regardless of whether it's strong or not. I'm not playing warhammer just to win tournaments after all. 

Fair enough, but losing a lot of games can dent your enjoyment. It's a good idea to consider these things even if in the end you decide it doesn't matter to you. 

Aye the casual scene is always larger, plus GW pushes Nighthaunt well as a starter army so there's likely many who have started and can easily build into a battleforce at christmas; just the same as there are for Stormcast. Heck I've no idea how Tyranids are doing but I'd be sorely tempted by the box if I didn't already have two of the old ones sitting on a shelf waiting to be built. 

7 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Fair enough, but losing a lot of games can dent your enjoyment. It's a good idea to consider these things even if in the end you decide it doesn't matter to you. 

I'm a former Tomb Kings player. Trust me, I know how it is to lose most games. ;)

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Tell that to people playing Halflings in Blood Bowl. If you play weak armies (and you know it) you have lower standards. I, for example, was playing skaven (obligatory "before they were cool") made almost entirely of IoB units for most time. I won only 1 game IIRC (that's because only wizards and leaders with artefacts could score in that game and my opponent had only 1 unit of that kind which I quickly eradicated) but never felt disappointed. I played not for wins but for experience - once, my lowly Master Moulder (then Packmaster) almost (with particular emphasis on "almost") killed opponent's GUO with his shockprod. It was more exciting than any win. If you play an army because you like it, and not because it's strong, you enjoy small things.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, michu said:

Tell that to people playing Halflings in Blood Bowl. If you play weak armies (and you know it) you have lower standards. I, for example, was playing skaven (obligatory "before they were cool") made almost entirely of IoB units for most time. I won only 1 game IIRC (that's because only wizards and leaders with artefacts could score in that game and my opponent had only 1 unit of that kind which I quickly eradicated) but never felt disappointed. I played not for wins but for experience - once, my lowly Master Moulder (then Packmaster) almost (with particular emphasis on "almost") killed opponent's GUO with his shockprod. It was more exciting than any win. If you play an army because you like it, and not because it's strong, you enjoy small things.

I get what you mean but it's not always an either or. If you're eyeing up a new army you might have a few thst you like. All being equal I suspect most would rathe rpick one they know has a good chance of winning. 

10 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

If they put Aventis Firestrike in the SC box, it is day one order for me. But I don't believe such a  miniature in this box.

I was surprised last week when I read this leak. The choice of Stormcast is obvious (as the 2 space marine are) , gloomspite is ok, but skaven?  nighthaunt? I thought that they at least put a CoS box with so many possibilities (or an orruk) . Skaven have already 2 SC! and NH have the starter. Strange choice of army boxes. 

On the other hand I guessed the 40k ones. So no surprise here.

Skaven only have 1 sc and it only includes battleline troops for clan pestilens. Granted the war machines have alt builds but you cant really start an army from it unless you go thay way or buy clanrats seperately.

Its a good box but not representitive of the faction

Personally if I were to do a Skaven Battleforce I'd focus on Verminus. I'm not sure of the total value in these boxes, but I'd imagine it'd end up being something like:

Verminlord

40 Clanrats

20 Stormvermin

Plastic Clawlord

Maybe a Hell Pit Abomination?

Without the HPA that's $250 on the nose, which IIRC is around where these boxes fell last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

I have seen several people in my area say "they don't care about an armies winrate just that its cool" then get frustrated when they get stomped in all their games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forrix said:

I have seen several people in my area say "they don't care about an armies winrate just that its cool" then get frustrated when they get stomped in all their games.

I think that people in general are pretty bad at recognizing when they hold internally conflicting viewpoints. We largely go about life acting as if we need to have one clear take on things, but internally that's often not the case. The way we talk about identity is very categorical and only serves to compound the problem. There's pressure, for example, to identify as a "casual" gamer or a "competitive" gamer which typically means lining up with a general perception of what that term means. And if you don't present yourself as if you line up in the way you are supposed to, you open yourself up to gatekeeping. 

A person might aspire to be casual and legitimately care more about the hobby aspect, but if they have a somewhat competitive personality they still might get frustrated or feel bad when they lose. 

Local culture also plays a role. If being competitive is looked down on in your area, you might position yourself as casual to fit in. But that's not going to magically change how you feel about winning and losing. Similarly, if your area is super competitive and talks down about "casuals" you might position yourself as competitive and act competitive, but that won't magically make you enjoy tournament style gameplay.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, Overread said:

I can't see a Chaos tome appearing before Christmas now. I can well imagine that the original plan was to have one out - maximising the gain on the Warcry warbands and also getting AoS all onto Battletomes for Christmas sales. GW might still surprise us of course, but I can't see it easily happening. Even getting Ogres to fit in is going to be tight. 

The three eyed king is stirring....

and its going to be a good one.

colour me optimistic :)

Edited by Kaleb Daark

6 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I didn't say that the AoS battleforces sold badly or will sale badly. 

Those that sold out were super good deal. Ex: DoK which doesn't have a SC! . I just say according to the current meta/game/sales, there should be good contenders and some outsiders. If the gloomspite has a good content, it can be sold out quicly. It is easy to do a themed battleforce. On the other hand, for NH, it'd be more difficult. I hope that the Stormcast one and the Skaven one will have the big guys included.

Olynder+Kurdoss+Banshees+Harridans+something else
That'd be something

3 hours ago, Forrix said:

I think part of this is also because people expect a "low win rate" army to be comparable to the "low win rate" for characters in competitive video games.  In video games, a low win rate character is often in the 44-46 percent range.  In Age of Sigmar, we've seen factions be as low as 10-20 percent.

Edited by Zanzou
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Forrix said:

Oh it definitely sucks to lose most games. That shouldn't stop you from starting an army you like though, especially not if GW offers a super box deal. You just have to manage your expectations. If you are super competetive though and care more about winning than about the models and the fluff of your army then yeah you are probably better off staying away from this cool army you actually like but don't.

1 hour ago, Panzer said:

What Panzer just said

To add to that, I'd point out that whatever army you choose, there's a decent chance it'll have its day at some point. Before their new Battletome, Flesh Eater Courts were widely considered awful. It's entirely possible that this time in 6 months we'll be discussing how to deal with brutally powerful Gutbuster or Slaves to Darkness lists. In many ways, what you think looks cool is the only reasonable way to select armies.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Skaven have already 2 SC

Well with the exception of the pestilence start collection, I don’t seem to have seen any others for the skaven, unless you’re talking about the small armypack where 2units of 20clanrats a unit of 20plague monks and 2packmasters/mastermoulder a few giant rats and 2rat ogres were sold, although that was a very very long time ago when the old world was still a thing.

16 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well with the exception of the pestilence start collection, I don’t seem to have seen any others for the skaven, unless you’re talking about the small armypack where 2units of 20clanrats a unit of 20plague monks and 2packmasters/mastermoulder a few giant rats and 2rat ogres were sold, although that was a very very long time ago when the old world was still a thing.

It may be Island of Blood, which was neither a SC, nor has much of its models legal anymore, but it was an AoS branded starter box.

Island of Blood was a starter set for the Old World that survived for a time into AoS. Hence why I think we didn't see any of those models resculpted for the Skaven release at the time. However it was a short sighted release because GW put all the elf and skaven models on the same sprues so the only way to sell Island of Blood was as Island of Blood. I think it got caught up in those dark early days of AoS when everything was basically a mess and GW was having to change direction (game and company wise). 

Hopefully now that the set is gone we might well see those sculpts, at least for Skaven, return to being made. We might even see some like the weapon team get advanced up to a multi-kit setup. 

7 minutes ago, Overread said:

Island of Blood was a starter set for the Old World that survived for a time into AoS. Hence why I think we didn't see any of those models resculpted for the Skaven release at the time. However it was a short sighted release because GW put all the elf and skaven models on the same sprues so the only way to sell Island of Blood was as Island of Blood. I think it got caught up in those dark early days of AoS when everything was basically a mess and GW was having to change direction (game and company wise). 

Hopefully now that the set is gone we might well see those sculpts, at least for Skaven, return to being made. We might even see some like the weapon team get advanced up to a multi-kit setup. 

Yeah, I did try and specify AoS branded vs AoS.  Rereleasing it with an AoS logo was a big mistake, if there is AoS on the box, people will expect to be able to use it a few years in, and they weren't. I think about 60% of the warscrolls in it are now dumped? Not that the high elves were ever really supported anyway.

Similar with Warhammer quest I heroes, these are mostly phased out as well. (Mistweaver, Excelsior warpriest, that assassin dude, the darkoath one is just waiting for a slaves book to be culled).

And yes, you could play GA order, or legends. Technically.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/16/2019 at 7:00 PM, Nerdkingdan said:

What kind of content would another Stormcast box have?   What wasn't explored in a previous one?    

Stormcast box should be a true SC for Sacrosanct. Maybe it will even allow Soul Wars to have the proper unit numbers. But that would be weird numbers... 12 sequitors, 2 or 7 evocators, and 4 castigators :/ Not sure if it'd even make me return my unopened SC Vanguard box to buy this Battleforce, even if the models were actually from the boxed sprues.

edit: people are hoping for dracs in the box, I can see that but definitely not Aventis. Maybe Astreia for the dracs since she buffs them.

Edited by CommissarRotke

I could be mistaken,  but I don't think they generally include named characters in the battleforce boxes?  Certainly I can't think of any off-hand.

Though of course the SCE unique characters have generic options on the sprue, so they could still be included, but I would not expect to see the likes of Lady Olynder.

4 hours ago, Overread said:

The Skaven content is all supported, its the high elf from Island of Blood that was basically dropped. Skaven actually survived AoS transition with pretty much everything more or less. A few things like the warpglobe thrower were lost. 

The poisonwind mortar was dropped as well, right?  I also thought the packmaster was, but that has just been changed to need 3, or so it seems. So 55% was lost.