The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, novakai said:

optimistically they may be the AoS Christmas release for this year once GW finish up their current slate of battletome that haven't been release yet.

As an elf/ sylvaneth owner, please not another new elf faction right now.  It is 100% Slaves to Darkness turn for a battletome... All this warcry stuff yet StD are still broken!

23 minutes ago, acr0ssth3p0nd said:

Where are you getting these bits from? All I saw in the article was the spell and the Fleet of Foot rule.

Leaked through a low-resolution image that was originally uploaded to warhammer community. If you click on it, everything on the warscroll is legible:

WHUWNewWarbandsinAos-Sep20-Share3rdg.jpg

Edited by Zanzou

7 minutes ago, PaniuBraniu said:

Race !=faction. They don't have Kurnothi keyword, just plain Sylvaneth. If GW will ever expand on this new race, it will be a Sylvaneth subfaction. Given that the Sylvaneth battletome has just been released I wouldn't expect that to happen in the near future.

depends though, since they have change the keywords of Underworld warbands when tomes of that said faction have been releases. they do this so it doesn't give away their plans of the future but allows them to be playable on the TT without problems

example would be that they added the Gloomspite keyword for Zarbag when the tome was releases

• Like 1

If every warhammer underworld faction would get his own expanded army/subfaction then we are going to see a resurgence also of Gitmobs? Interesting to see which temporary keywords they give to them.

Really unlikely we are going to see anything new before next year although. As someone said above they are already quite packed with releases for this year. Wanderers could still be merged again in Sylvaneth next year. Maybe they are going to create appendix tomes a bit like Space Marines are getting now? That would be cool, imagine all subfactions that could get such expansion...

Honestly I don't think people should pin hopes on GW using Warbands from Underworld to test armies for full releases. I think if such things happen they are a VERY long way of. Underworld lets GW play around with the realm system and the fact that many core factions will have amny subfactions in different realms that are quite unique. Dwarves from the realm of metal will behave and look very different to those from shadow or beast lands. Meanwhile the realms are big enough that there will be a myriad of smaller factions around. Some might even have very large kingdoms and territories, but might never make it into the full game as a major army. 

56 minutes ago, Overread said:

Honestly I don't think people should pin hopes on GW using Warbands from Underworld to test armies for full releases. I think if such things happen they are a VERY long way of. Underworld lets GW play around with the realm system and the fact that many core factions will have amny subfactions in different realms that are quite unique. Dwarves from the realm of metal will behave and look very different to those from shadow or beast lands. Meanwhile the realms are big enough that there will be a myriad of smaller factions around. Some might even have very large kingdoms and territories, but might never make it into the full game as a major army. 

Yeah this is very much what I've been thinking. The original shadespire miniatures were designed as more dynamic models you could slot into existing units but after they decided to make those models the basis of shadespire that role changed. The newer underworlds miniatures seem to have been designed specifically as warbands I think as time goes on we'll see more warbands like the kurnothi where they use them as a chance to explore some interesting bit of the realms without the need to develop a full army. Obviously I could be completely wrong.

24 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Yeah this is very much what I've been thinking. The original shadespire miniatures were designed as more dynamic models you could slot into existing units but after they decided to make those models the basis of shadespire that role changed. The newer underworlds miniatures seem to have been designed specifically as warbands I think as time goes on we'll see more warbands like the kurnothi where they use them as a chance to explore some interesting bit of the realms without the need to develop a full army. Obviously I could be completely wrong.

They did this with Warcry aswell, with  chaos warbands. I expect more of this in future maybe with other alliances.

Edited by Aleser

29 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Yeah this is very much what I've been thinking. The original shadespire miniatures were designed as more dynamic models you could slot into existing units but after they decided to make those models the basis of shadespire that role changed. The newer underworlds miniatures seem to have been designed specifically as warbands 

That does seem to have been the deliberate design behind some of the original S1 miniatures. Can't recall where it came up (a Stormcast episode?) but the liberators and bloodreavers were intended as what we would now call easy-to-build kits but then then an opportunity for a different game was brought up and so they were shifted into that as the rules were written. The S2 and what we have seen of the S3 warbands are clearly purpose-designed for use in Underworlds, with more variety in the models and things that don't slot neatly into pre-existing units.

While I broadly prefer the Old World setting to the AoS one, I think the concept behind the Beastgrave is fantastic. I suppose on a small scale I really like a lot of the locations and lore of AOS, I just find that the big picture falls flat.

In other news, I'm very excited to see WHU warbands that might actually see play in AOS. Both spells are superb and the warbands are reasonably costed. The Bray-shaman's spell effect is really dangerous, especially as it isn't faction specific but the fact that it casts on a 7 with a relatively short range means that it will be unreliable enough to probably not cause too many problems. I really like that Skaeth's warband is a single warscroll and much prefer that design. While the Bray-shaman's scroll is great, the fact that he will take up an extra drop is a heavy strike against him. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, swarmofseals said:

I suppose on a small scale I really like a lot of the locations and lore of AOS, I just find that the big picture falls flat.

That‘s due to AoS only having one city that we know much of: Hamerhall. 

I‘d like to see GW do a cartographic campaign for each realm so that at least there is a huge „known“ space within each realm that holds more history and is the staging place for bigger events. (The Amethyst princedoms would be interesting)

• Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 1:54 PM, JackStreicher said:

A king would be a Vampire which this one is not (they don‘t have facial hair and look more beast-like). (Unless they changed that)

I guess some kind of Sergeant? Or a Crypt Ghoul Courtier? Perhaps you are right and it is a non-vamp King =}

Yeah, I now also think this is maybe a big Ghoul or Horror but I just want to add that Ghoul Kings do have hair. The new Archregent model has a number of fur/hair patches all over his body similar to Ghouls and Horros. 

4 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I‘d like to see GW do a cartographic campaign for each realm so that at least there is a huge „known“ space within each realm that holds more history and is the staging place for bigger events. (The Amethyst princedoms would be interesting)

The different BL books also fleshed out Excelsis in Ghur quite a bit. Id like to see it atleast mentioned in the Cities of Sigmar battletome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

The two big gaps with the lore are time and space.

What we really need is not just a map of many regions to give us the most important/core regions and how they relate to each other; but also a sense of time. It's actually hard to work out what is happening when in the lore, esp when the Age of Sigmar appears to be roughly several generations old already. In Heart of Winter novella there's a city rebuilt and at least several generations who grew up within the city after the Age of Chaos. That suggests its at least 200ish years since the Age of Sigmar began. Those are big skips in time. 

4 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Maybe the Kurnothi being Syvaneth just means that GW is making new models without worry about new armies so they're just throwing them into best fit. I'm kind of hoping for that so maybe those new wolf riding goblins will be Gloomspite GItz.

That would solve a long standing rumour of a dichotomous light/dark elves army which would turn out to be in fact an army of sun/moon worshipping gobbos.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

While I broadly prefer the Old World setting to the AoS one, I think the concept behind the Beastgrave is fantastic. I suppose on a small scale I really like a lot of the locations and lore of AOS, I just find that the big picture falls flat.

In other news, I'm very excited to see WHU warbands that might actually see play in AOS. Both spells are superb and the warbands are reasonably costed. The Bray-shaman's spell effect is really dangerous, especially as it isn't faction specific but the fact that it casts on a 7 with a relatively short range means that it will be unreliable enough to probably not cause too many problems. I really like that Skaeth's warband is a single warscroll and much prefer that design. While the Bray-shaman's scroll is great, the fact that he will take up an extra drop is a heavy strike against him. 

I'm with you on this. The idea that certain places can be affected by permanent whirls of magic winds and become weird is very appealing. A light dragon in the middle of Naggaroth, a real Fountain of Youth because of a Ghyran vortex in the heart of Lustria, copper metal verdigris Cliffs of "Dover", a purple sand desert where the living die and the dead live... there's a lot of cool potential.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Overread said:

The two big gaps with the lore are time and space.

What we really need is not just a map of many regions to give us the most important/core regions and how they relate to each other; but also a sense of time. It's actually hard to work out what is happening when in the lore, esp when the Age of Sigmar appears to be roughly several generations old already. In Heart of Winter novella there's a city rebuilt and at least several generations who grew up within the city after the Age of Chaos. That suggests its at least 200ish years since the Age of Sigmar began. Those are big skips in time. 

We also don't know of any important person who's not a Stormcast or a Chaos warlord (or at least, we don't know many), and it's not like in 40k, where you have an Imperial bureaucracy which always looks the same, and then every planet is whatever you want. Easy and streamlined.

When I was creating my free city, I wanted it not to be alone, so I created a Steel Road of trading cities in Ghur, where (I imagined) metal is scarce, except for weird kinds of metal. But I don't really know if Sigmar has superintendents, if the Kharadron enforce tariffs on ground trade, if Hammerhal and other cities have hinterland territories (and therefore my cities too), if there's a universally accepted currency (having twenty realmstone currencies is not practical in the slightest), if there's a lingua franca, and what it is... I'm sure the novels flesh out some of that, but I think the army and rule books should take care of these basic strokes.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

We also don't know of any important person who's not a Stormcast or a Chaos warlord (or at least, we don't know many), and it's not like in 40k, where you have an Imperial bureaucracy which always looks the same, and then every planet is whatever you want. Easy and streamlined.

When I was creating my free city, I wanted it not to be alone, so I created a Steel Road of trading cities in Ghur, where (I imagined) metal is scarce, except for weird kinds of metal. But I don't really know if Sigmar has superintendents, if the Kharadron enforce tariffs on ground trade, if Hammerhal and other cities have hinterland territories (and therefore my cities too), if there's a universally accepted currency (having twenty realmstone currencies is not practical in the slightest), if there's a lingua franca, and what it is... I'm sure the novels flesh out some of that, but I think the army and rule books should take care of these basic strokes.

I mean that’s not really accurate, there’s many new original characters, some of them have multiple books crafted after them. 

• Like 3

I think the lack of locations and dates makes it harder to relate to some of the other faction characters. Because you're not quite sure how they relate to each other, even without considering that a human might have a very short lifespan compared to an aelf who in turn might be short compared to an ancient tree. 

I think once we can start to see the connecting links on the spiderweb that is the lore things will start to settle down. Though we might well go for a while before we get dates and maps. So the opening of AoS might well be a selection of stories all in a chaotic period where things aren't easily related before order and structure appears. 

18 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think the lack of locations and dates makes it harder to relate to some of the other faction characters. Because you're not quite sure how they relate to each other, even without considering that a human might have a very short lifespan compared to an aelf who in turn might be short compared to an ancient tree. 

I think once we can start to see the connecting links on the spiderweb that is the lore things will start to settle down. Though we might well go for a while before we get dates and maps. So the opening of AoS might well be a selection of stories all in a chaotic period where things aren't easily related before order and structure appears. 

Sure, it took time for the Old World to settle down. This will too, eventually.

When people say "this setting lacks characters", like I said before, I think the real meaning behind this is "the setting lacks the possibility of character conflict". I actually like the bickering of the Pantheon. They're characters. I want to see them bicker and have conflict and resolve it. But I also want to see the leader of X, the seneschal of Y and the abbess of Z, the matriarch of A, the shaman of B, etc etc. 

I'd like to know, for example, how did the Lantic Empire fall. It had the potential to be an epic tale, especially if the staff take inspiration in what should inspire them (Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. And please, make Chaos insidious and corrupting, don't bring out the "Chaos corrupts the inside, but there's doomstacks of troops at your doorstep" train) and be the cultural bedrock of the new setting, like the Trojan War for the Greeks or the tale of the Three Kingdoms for the Chinese.

Or if there are any non-Free Cities states left. Are there?

Edited by Cèsar de Quart
  • LOVE IT! 1

I guess warhammer fantasy lore was not build in a couple of years but the absence of a timeline really weights in. 

For example now we know there has been the Necroquake but we don’t know how many years since Age of Sigmar it was and how much time passed since the event. Many new novels, are those before or after the Necroquake? The recent battletomes we know are all after, but not how much after.

In synthesis we really miss the Imperial Calendar!! But I guess it’s on purpose to give them freedom to put things here and there without following a strict line that forced them a lot in the old world 

• Like 1