The Rumour Thread

7 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I think the keyword with 'Forbidden Power' is that it's described as an 'Age of Sigmar Expansion' in the same way 'Malign Sorcery' was.

So my guess is boxset with chunky models for everyone and new rules of some kind. I had originally thought it would just be more faction agnostic Endless Spells but oddly less sure of that now, it's still the most likely option but could be something similar.

One possibility is it could be a box of weird and wonderful non-faction-specific 'magic' terrain, that would hit the check boxes of making the game more visual, gets more terrain out there onto tables and since all the faction specific terrain is points free it allows armies without those releases yet to take something and not be left out.

You know, 'with magic unleashed across the realms thanks to Nagash's Necroquake the very land itself has become saturated with arcane energy, yadda yadda yadda'

Not sure how they'd get an extra rulebook out of that but guess it could just be an update of the MS one with the realm rules, spells, artefacts etc in again with some additional new nonsense for people to get up in arms about.

maybe we get Realm-specific scenery? (perhaps even a small set for each realm) which then get their own rules?

33 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

They marketed it as game changing for whatever you play, and the best preview ever.

Really? I don't recall either of those statements. I could very well have a poor memory, but I really don't think they said either of those things.

Could your expectations simply have been out of line with what was said?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

maybe we get Realm-specific scenery? (perhaps even a small set for each realm) which then get their own rules?

I did think that, though that's also a bit limiting as to what you can use if it's strictly just for specific realms. Though if (and of course this is a huge ****** if as I'm just riffing on a random thought I had) they were it could be that they are loosely realm themed in the way a lot of the endless spells have obvious ties to specific realms but work anywhere (maybe just more effective in their home realm).

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Really? I don't recall either of those statements. I could very well have a poor memory, but I really don't think they said either of those things.

Also I'm not sure how long you'd survive working in a marketing dept if you started announcing "tune in at 2am for some huge reveals, well when we say huge we mean some big reveals, ok let's just go for reveals. I mean look this is all nonsense and the world is going to hell in a handcart around us, none of this really matters in the grand scheme of things, get an early night you'll feel better for it in the morning, the models will still be there in a few months."

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RipperChameleon said:

Just a personal idea but could the forbidden power have something to do with the lightning gheists mentioned on new SCE lore? Maybe it's something Sigmar has hidden in a stormvault

The Kharadron short story in the January WD hints about a hidden artefact deep under Hammerhal, meant for the God-King. Not a coincidence, I think. :)

"One of the great things about Warhammer Age of Sigmar is the rich, evolving narrative. The background for the Mortal Realms is growing all the time, with the past few years having taken us through the epic battles of the Realmgate Wars, through the fledgling conquests of the Seeds of Hope, to last year’s Soul Wars. This tectonic shift in the status quo sawNagash rise to supremacy, the emergence of the Nighthaunt, and Sigmar forced to open the Sacrosanct Chamber. Now, in 2019, the Soul Wars continue – and something ancient and terrible is awakened…"

Frostmourne Some kind of god beast? Settra? Louens ledger after the big pox-party at Altdorf? xD

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Haha 3

Personally, I'm quite surprised as well at the overall negativity. These are mostly teasers, sure... But actually shows me that they have taken some things seriously: 

- more spread out love for each GA (compare now with 2 years ago)

- extra stuff that benefits all is still being added. 

- Older battletomes are getting a refresh so you don't get left out for too long. 

There's still a lot of stuff that needs work, but it's being done at a pretty high speed. Maybe so much so, that it's creating a lot of entitlement even. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Elmir said:

Personally, I'm quite surprised as well at the overall negativity.

To be fair, just the same couple guys that cry every time.

Especially one of them is notorious for opening "whine-threads" that get closed within a rather short amount of time.

It should go without saying but one should always manage their expectations...

I for one was rather surprised, more announcements and a lot different ones from what I anticipated. Kinda interested how all of this plays out on the tabletop and schedule-wise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never played WHF (but followed closely after 6th). But I'm really happy with LVO. 

Can't wait to see what armies (news and old ones) are going to recieve a battletome, what new mechanics are we going to use, what is going to change with this new campaign,... and I'm sure that all this things were done with AoS 3.0 in mind!! 

And I don't even know if my beloved army will recieve anything, but looking to the future, It can't be more bright!

• Thanks 1

There will always be some negativity because not every army/person gets what they want/expect/hope ;) 

Also lets not forget GW isn't giving us a 6 month or a12 month release window here; they are very tight with their previews at present because they are rolling NEW things out EVERY week pretty much save when there's something super big like a new edition and then its only a two week release. With new stuff every week they don't need to tease a huge amount beacuse there will be another big even and studio reveal hot on the heels of this one.

So lets see AoS gets confirmed a LOT more Battletomes - we suspected but now we know for certain and that is great solid news! Reworked MK1 tomes are also good; it shows GW is keen to get AoS all on the same footing (Even if it means Khorne gets more than others ;)). 

We also get a confirmed Khorne Battletome, expected after Wrather and Rapture and a new Skulltaker. Interesting that they dont' preview new terrain for Khorne right now, but hopefully that will be something more for when its their launch week. The Bleeding Skull I love! 

Then we've got Warcry and no idea what that is but I wonder if it might be more like heroic duels between warriors so instead of armies its down to one or two warriors a bit like Shadspire but more epic. 

Finally Underworlds gets some neat new Sylvanath models and they look great! I can well see those appearing in armies on the table as well as Underworlds. 

The real steal was new Chaos for 40K, which most of us suspected. They get a new leader, new Chaos warriors, new really great looking and hulking obliterators and a huge spider beast that looks out standing (I really love a lot of the Chaos War Engines)

So yeah Chaos 40K Stole the thunder, but we mostly suspected it. We've got one new Tome coming and another somewhat surprise of no Slaanesh as yet - that means they are either holding back or its going to  be big and needs a bigger window for production (or its tiny and its all a tease) 

• Like 3

Personally I can see both sides. From a definitive this is something you are getting, there was only one reveal - Blades of Khorne (although as somebody said this is actually a big deal from the point of view of getting a new Battletome when there is an existing battletome in the 1.5 mode) but this is pretty well required at this point given the changes in the game. It was nice to see the Sylvaneth warband and I think pretty much a confirmation that we will see a new battletome, hopefully with a few new models.

On the other hand. Warcry. That is where I am at. Underworlds is great, Kill Team has led to more 40K than any other game being played so I have high hopes for the core game. And then the images that we have seen are redolent of so much potential - new terrain, new models, a new aesthetic like the old Realms Of Chaos books. So much hype from me.

(also from a purely personal point of view I have a gaming group that love the Age of Sigmar models but still can't get behind the fixed to wound rolls. If this bridges that gap, Age of Sigmar could easily replace 40K as the game I play the most)

I also have to defend the "whiny" people. Because I think, looking at the "whiny comments", nobody really "cried" or has voiced his opinion in a toxic  or too negative way. 

I can also understand why many people think the preview was lackluster and boring. I don't care that much, because i got my Gloomspite Gitz at the beginning of the year and this will keep me interested and motivated for a long time. So I wasn't expecting too much. But there was also a point, where I was sad that Destruction didn't get anything cool. So I know how some people might feel.

Most of the "negativity" were just statements, like "The preview was lackluster" or "I am disappointed by the preview". There were only a few, which got too negative (I think it might as well have been just one comment).

I find the reactions towards the "negative" reactions more extreme than the actual "negative" reactions. In this thread I see people calling people "whiny" or "spoiled" just for voicing their opinion. I don't think that saying " I was disappointed" is a toxic or whiny way to voice your own opinion. 

It is just how it is for them: They were disappointed by the preview. I can understand this. I may not share the same sentiment, because I didn't expect anything, but I can sympathise with my fellow wargamers without thinking they are spoiled. I also have to add that I am playing Warhammer since 6. Edition. I don't know if this counts, because someone said you have to have played 5 years in order to voice your opinion.

I also have to add that "Warcry" just seems to me like another small side game, which will be forgotten very fast. I am not a fan of games like this. But I may be wrong. To me it often seems like GW is starting too many different side-projects, but never finishes them or completes them. This results in a lot different small games, which often start with a cool concept, but are abandoned very early and you won't hear from them again. But this is also just my opinion. I am not trying to be "whiny" or "toxic". This is just how I feel about some of those side-games for AoS.

Edited by Infeston
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Serious question:

How many people complaining here have been in the hobby for under 5 years?

This would be quite nice statistic.

For me 23 years and counting.

For AoS:

Skulltaker, wasn't fan of the previous iteration and new one keeps the trend for me. If he will have good rules, will buy him. Think my main problem is that I am not a fan of existing bloodletters aesthetic. Technically model is coolb but not my cup of tea.

Endless prayers: give it to me, only worry is that the skull will break too often.

Sylvaneth, hate the walking trees ;) but would be insta buy for me if I would be Sylvaneth player. Lovely models. As with every underworld warband, rules will suck big times for matched play purposes, unfortunately.

The trailers - this formula is terrible IMO, it brings nothing aside of wild speculations and hypothesis most of the time far away from the truth and how the final product will look like. Would much prefer picture of single model connected with the release instead. All in all it gives something to talk about, but picture of model would give something more solid to talk about instead. To sum up I really don't give a FAQ about them just like old GW didn't in the days of long forgotten past.

40K Chaos. Not a player, but spider and Obliterator, give it to me, let the grey horde of unpainted plastic grow...

Like clockwork, after people being disappointed by something, comes all the people accusing them of whining. It is routine by this point. Perhaps there should be a sticky saying that only positive reactions are allowed?

There was only one AoS announcement, and that's that Khorne is getting a... third (?) book. Everything other than that was what we already knew (Sylvaneth for Underworlds) or just an announcement that there would be an announcement. When GW hype this stuff up, is it any wonder why people might be a bit deflated at a bunch of words in trailers? Yes, of course it's good to get more definitive proof of life for older battletomes, but we're here for the models, and of those- as far as Age of Sigmar is concerned, which I point out because this is an AoS board- there were... four?*

*Or eight if one includes the Sylvaneth.

Edited by Kirjava13
  • Like 2

Maybe this was mentioned before, i'm sorry in that case.

But taking a closer look into this image:

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-BoKBattleshot29hvr

You can see the BoK fighting against the Deathrattle. Do you think Deathrattle will have his own battletome this year? 

Edited by Mungrun
  • Like 1

Huh so they sort of recycled on an old rulebook image. Some people speculate it might mean nothing, others something. Some are taking stock in the fact that the chaos panel was altered to not have Khorne, which just got a battletome announcement. Sort of makes sense, except for the squigs behind the Ogor on the destruction pane.

If it had been Ironjawz behind him then I'd be all guns a-blazing, but... this makes me hopeful, especially the whole 'classic armies updated for the new edition' thing. Unless GW is stretching the meaning of classic to be like Seraphon battletome is a classic, instead of WHFB armies like mine.

Either way, I have a little bit of hope, like I've said before, I'm even willing to be subsumed into Beastclaw Raiders to get into a battletome. Do me dirty if you must, just do me.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1