The Rumour Thread

1 minute ago, Aryann said:

@Skabnoze I can see your point but now you just fall overboard. It's not about releasing 5 ork factions and 10 elven factions. When there is a fine theme/subject GW can work on and create around it a new faction then it should IF we agree that so far this is how AoS developed. If somebody decided that Slayers and Witch Elves deserve their own faction then Skaven certainly deserve more than one combo faction. We see how distinct each clan is and don't need any creative team to flesh that out - clans are already pretty much ready. Few models here and there and you have independent and strongly themed factions. It doesn't necessarily have to canibalize each other - it can draw new people into the hobby if they see how rich and unique AoS is. There is probably a faction number that exceeding will give more bad than good. I don't know that number. Yet in my opinion if GW would turn back and now start conglomerating all the dwarfs together, all the elves together, all chaos gods together that would kill this game. We would end up with few messy alliances that would look like several drunk people meet and each throw his 5 cents into combo-faction. Model updates for that kind of factions would satisfy nobody. 

Distinct on there own way and still perfectly able to fit together.

If I had the choice, I’d rather take the mixed version, since it gives the skaven a certain flavor and a distinction from other faction. Beeing able to field an arsenal of horrendous monsters and firepower, while supported by hordes and hordes of clanrats, Stormvermins etc. Is something I really believ fits the skaven perfect.

although I do agree with you in some terms. There definitely could be potential in some clans having their own book. Just I believe we need at least 1where they are all combined, unless you want the Masterclan to vanish, since it wouldn’t had any place in the realms anymore.

3 minutes ago, Aryann said:

@Skabnoze I can see your point but now you just fall overboard. It's not about releasing 5 ork factions and 10 elven factions. When there is a fine theme/subject GW can work on and create around it a new faction then it should IF we agree that so far this is how AoS developed. If somebody decided that Slayers and Witch Elves deserve their own faction then Skaven certainly deserve more than one combo faction. We see how distinct each clan is and don't need any creative team to flesh that out - clans are already pretty much ready. Few models here and there and you have independent and strongly themed factions. It doesn't necessarily have to canibalize each other - it can draw new people into the hobby if they see how rich and unique AoS is. There is probably a faction number that exceeding will give more bad than good. I don't know that number. Yet in my opinion if GW would turn back and now start conglomerating all the dwarfs together, all the elves together, all chaos gods together that would kill this game. We would end up with few messy alliances that would look like several drunk people meet and each throw his 5 cents into combo-faction. Model updates for that kind of factions would satisfy nobody. 

I like Skaven, but who says they *deserve* more than one combo faction? 

I get your point about combining dwarfs and elves back together, but I don't quite fully agree.  Remember that these factions originally started from a more combined place.  It is also worth remembering that AoS has very much been a work in progress and GW seems to have pivoted more than once during the game's short lifespan into their current model.  Fyreslayers were in the original release wave which as @Overread described seems like it was meant as smaller splash releases.  You can put some other armies such as Ironjawz into that bucket as well.  Other armies were designed as similar splash-releases but using already existing Warhammer Fantasy ranges to fill out more faction ranges - such as Flesh Eater Courts, Clan Pestilens, Beastclaw Raiders, Bonesplitterz, etc.  The whole time they started iterating what the concept of a Battletome exactly is and then began adapting new releases to that.  For some of those they reused old kits and made some new ones (Sylvaneth & Daughters of Khaine), made entirely new full armies (Nighthaunt, Idoneth Deepkin), for others they started trying to knit back together disparate factions (Legions of Nagash, Beasts of Chaos), and then they started doing a hybrid of new releases & consolidation (Gloomspite).  They have steadily improved in regards to the state of releases, but the whole game is still very much a work-in-progress.

I really enjoy this game right now, but when you take the entire whole state of the game it is still a mess.  In a perfect universe they could fully explore every interesting nuance of all of the factions.  But that is not the world we occupy.  I feel that the best thing for GW to do is to put some brakes on releasing brand new factions into the game and get the current factions into a better state.  The early factions were not fully fleshed out and they should probably do that.  They massively split up the stuff carried over from Warhammer Fantasy and that no longer seems to fit the vision for the game - so they should fix those factions also.  Then other factions have books that are not functioning well or not updated to the current template for Battletomes and they should probably fix that.  And then once they get these things nailed down they can work to drop a ton of new stuff into the game or expand existing factions.  This is just my opinion, but I am really tired of the sloppy state of the game factions as a whole and I am very glad to see GW issuing these umbrella style books to correct that sooner rather than later.  If GW can roll allegiances up into these umbrella books (like putting Pestilens into the new Skaven book) then there is nothing stopping them from breaking them out at a later date.

But when GW manages to address issues with multiple allegiances in a single book we should be collectively glad to see that they are improving larger chunks of the game at a quicker pace rather than getting upset that they are not deep-diving into what we individually think they should.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I really enjoy this game right now, but when you take the entire whole state of the game it is still a mess.

I guess the game always has and always will be in a state of being unfinished. In the dark days before Age of Sigmar but after The End Times I was ready to dig in and keep playing an unsupported 8th Edition. It didn't take too long before this dynamic, evolving game with exciting new stuff drew me in.

Is the game too much of a mess though? Yes, I think it is a little but GW are on to it with their lastest releases and the tidying up of the web store. Be interesting to see where we are in 12 months.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I guess the game always has and always will be in a state of being unfinished. In the dark days before Age of Sigmar but after The End Times I was ready to dig in and keep playing an unsupported 8th Edition. It didn't take too long before this dynamic, evolving game with exciting new stuff drew me in.

Is the game too much of a mess though? Yes, I think it is a little but GW are on to it with their lastest releases and the tidying up of the web store. Be interesting to see where we are in 12 months.

It's an interesting point.  Agreed that the game will always be unfinished - finished means dead in the water.

I agree that it's messy, but I don't agree that it's too much of a mess (but that's subjective) :)

14 minutes ago, Greyshadow said:

I agree that the game will always be in a state of unfinished.  If they ever finished it then it is likely it would start to fade away.

But, the mess I speak of is mainly because they changed their design vision for the game faster than they could update (or chose to) the various factions in the game.  So what we now have is a large number of factions in various states depending upon when their book was released (if they even have one).  Only a small handful of books have been reworked so far, so that leaves most factions with some combination of their release book and the GHB.  If GW can get most of the armies onto a close footing in regards to army-wide rules updated to the current state of the game then the game as a whole will be in a much better place.  We will all have a rough idea of what the armies will look like moving foward.  There will be less worry about armies being removed or no longer supported simply because GW will not have made a book of rules for them.  If any armies get cut from that future vision then we would at least know what they are and can better move forward as customers with purchasing decisions.  Also the more armies are updated and brought current then theoretically the more vibrant and diverse the player-base is and I think everyone benefits from a broader and more diverse array of opponents.

I agree with you that they seem to be getting onto this path.  My personal opinion is that so far GW is announcing exactly what I would like to see at least in regards to book releases so far this year.  They appear to have an emphasis on updating the state of the factions.  If they can knock out a lot of the rules updates at least (lets put model releases aside), then they should be positioned well for doing a number of really neat things for 2020.  

11 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Really ? Slaughter Queen gets her ability to work a lot of time for me and take note that it is really powerfull for an army like DoK as almost any unit that you will use it on hits like a truck. 

I'm taking Melusai build to Heat 1 and it's really good, and you can still take Blood Sisters in any Slaughter Queen build. 

You still get no command abilities if you want to run snakes proper. They just need to make melusai battleline for Morathi.

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

You still get no command abilities if you want to run snakes proper. They just need to make melusai battleline for Morathi.

Yes you have generic CA and its possible to easy build all snake comeptitive army(or almost all snakes very comeptitve army) I just hope GW maksa Blood Stalkers 120-140 and battleline (with or without Medusa) 

Melusai Battleline if Morathi is general will be quite useless as you wont be able to take HaggNarr or Khailebron temple abilities like 5++ or Teleport

13 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I get your point about combining dwarfs and elves back together, but I don't quite fully agree.  Remember that these factions originally started from a more combined place.  It is also worth remembering that AoS has very much been a work in progress and GW seems to have pivoted more than once during the game's short lifespan into their current model.  Fyreslayers were in the original release wave which as @Overread described seems like it was meant as smaller splash releases.  You can put some other armies such as Ironjawz into that bucket as well.  Other armies were designed as similar splash-releases but using already existing Warhammer Fantasy ranges to fill out more faction ranges - such as Flesh Eater Courts, Clan Pestilens, Beastclaw Raiders, Bonesplitterz, etc.  The whole time they started iterating what the concept of a Battletome exactly is and then began adapting new releases to that.  For some of those they reused old kits and made some new ones (Sylvaneth & Daughters of Khaine), made entirely new full armies (Nighthaunt, Idoneth Deepkin), for others they started trying to knit back together disparate factions (Legions of Nagash, Beasts of Chaos), and then they started doing a hybrid of new releases & consolidation (Gloomspite).  They have steadily improved in regards to the state of releases, but the whole game is still very much a work-in-progress. 

I'm not sure we can speak of evolution of some kind. Latest factions/battletomes were combo ones but now they might return to release small factions again. And in some way they do that - Flesh-Eater Courts second battletome. They could have just implement them in the next Legions of Nagash book instead of releasing their own "small" battletome again.

Then again latest battletomes might be combo style by people demand. Battletomes created of left-overs (no aversion meant) that were not intended to receive new models (LoN, BoC, Spiderfang, Skaven). Spiderfang could have been adapted into Gloomspite battletome or left abandonded. GW decided former. There are not to many "left-over" factions left - Aelves? with Free People? Dispossessed with Ironweld in addition? That's one battletome. Now we will probably receive Slaves to Darkness + Archaon + new Darkoath. That's second combo battletome. MAYBE Ogors if that counts. After that I'm pretty sure GW will return to mono-faction battletomes with Malerion aelves, Tyrion Aelves, Slaanesh and so on.

5 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

What are the possibility of "do-over" battletomes? Where they go and rewrite, revise, etc some of the older books and AoS factions that haven't held up as well as newer factions. 

Well, with the release of the new FEC Battletome I'd say roughly 100%.

• Haha 7

I predict we'll see a Battletome: Freecities to clean up the Order micro-factions and turn them into something more playable. GW have already laid the groundwork with Firestorm and with the current direction of the lore, which seems geared towards creating fleshed out locations, rather than attempting to map an entire realm.

Duardin and Aelves are in a different position to the factions that have received large catch-all books (LON, BOC and GSG) in that part of their factions have already been built out with the introduction of Idoneth, DOK, Fyreslayers and KO (BOC not withstanding the inclusion of Tzaangor) .  I would also imagine that we'll see something big for Humans, as the relatable window into the Mortal Realms, that has a less generic (German) feel. Possibly realm themed forces, with different Allegiance abilities and visual signifiers depending on the realm they hail from.

GW is clearly trying to move away from the more generic fantasy tropes and the visual-style of the new releases is an indication of this. We will likely continue to see small factions used as inspiration for larger releases (part of the old High Aelf faction used to create the much rumoured Light Aelves for example), but it would seem an odd change of direction to organise along racial lines, not to mention an unnecessary labour when the groundwork has already been laid.

Just my perception. I've certainly been surprised by GW before and there does appear to be an appetite for an Aelf or Duardin book from reading this forum, it just feels as though it would run counter to the work and effort GW has already made.

Slightly more on topic (although in my defence it's hard to tell what's off topic in this thread these days 😉): I'm sure I've heard mention of a second set of generic Endless Spells available to all factions, which would fit the 'something for everyone' line. Would be a little lack luster given previous LVO, etc. reveals, but was where my mind went. I'll try and remember exactly where I got that from...

• Like 2

The reveal isn't until 9pm in the USA so its something like 3-4 am in the UK. So basically if you're in the USA get ready for some late night joy; if you're in the EU might as well pull an all nighter OR go to bed and wake up early to news! And if you're in Ozland er - I dunno what time that would be early evening? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2