The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

If dispossessed don’t get something eventually I will cry. If they happen to get the revamp I’m hoping for I will buy the collectors edition battle tome, a regular battletome and any accessories they add along their release. I know I’m just one person but I have a deep love for my dwarfs. Also as others have said doesn’t detract from me wanting/owning some of the new AoS only factions. I think it would be good idea anyway to have some more grounded factions that people who aren’t entirely convinced on the over the top setting can get into. 

My name may be mentioned a lot in the book of grudges, but we all have to stay together and hope that our beloved beard-things get a book.

my skaven army needs afterall a real foe to fight.

all those stormcast can not compete with the might  and stubbornness the beard-things bring to the fight.

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

There's an import difference here. While DoK and Spiderfang both had "3 kits" to start, 1 of the spiderfang kits is resin. The other 2 kits make 2 warscrolls total.   The 3 DoK kits are all plastic make NINE warscrolls. So it only took 3 more kits (5 more warscrolls) to make a full army.    I think from GW perspective three things being considered:  What is the total investment we have in this / how much existing work do we have to start from (how many models/warscrolls) And does the existing stuff fit in our vision for AoS (or can it fit).    From spiderfang perspective, you're only starting with 2 kits, so it's a big leap to a full range.   From the perspective of say, Greenskinz, you've got a lot of models, but they are older / havent aged as well, and don't fit the AoS aesthetic (too generic / not enough flavor). 

Grot scuttlings have obvious moonclan design features, so the only way they are getting to sigmar is if moonclan and spiderfang are in the same tome. 

The ironic thing is that the greenskin models really shouldn't be as generic as they now seem. GW literally reinvented Orcs when they made them huge green fighting machines. Nothing before looked anything like what is now the default, but so many people have copied them over the years that a core part of their product identity isn't unique to them anymore.

• Like 4

So, i was poking around on the community site, hoping for a new post and I noticed the filenames of the big holiday image that now has a goblin...

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/vtrhevGloomspike_snowy_banner_DAY-03-.jpg
https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/nrfDAY-03_-OUT-.mp4

so a couple of things.  

1. it is a daily thing and we are day 3. 

2. gloomspike.  What significance does that have?   Googling, i found this reference:
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/warhammer-fantasy-a-dynasty-of-dynamic-alcoholism.13745/page-2588
" the deadly Blackvenom forest goblin tribe has been seen riding their horrifying giant spiders south, while still further east the Gloomspike forest goblins of the Forest of Gloom have been doing the same "

but really not much at all. is the term gloomspike really related to Spiderfang? 

Anyone else have anything?

• Like 15
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 12/19/2018 at 6:41 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Only mixed skaven are true children of the horned rat, no place for traitor-things

Yes-yes

ah well maybe will get a game chancing battletome in 2020, year of the rat. (Maybe even with a campaign, determining the uprising of the mighty  (unbeatable) skaven forces)

The wait though... I just cannot enjoy other factions the way Skaven do. There must be a market/plan for Skaven since it keeps being represented in other games? But ah well, we are going into wishlisting territory. I remember some skryre info leaks from the source that predicted sea elves and moon clan, mentioning skryre got a lot of new inventions in the making. But that has gone cold for what? 2 years now?

Edited by Kugane

4 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

The lights in the house have gone out and it's full of grots!

vsefvGloomspike_snowy_banner_DAY-04-.jpg

I'm usually pretty good about not buying into hype. I've done it a couple of times and been let down so now I make a conscious decision to buy stuff long after it's been released and I've had plenty of time to think about it (and often choose not too)

But the moonclan reveal has caught me off guard and has me hooked with every aesthetic I've ever enjoyed about this game. It's like a 90s symphonic black metal album cover! It even matches my current Moonclan colour scheme!

As a skirmish only player, I still have the habit of buying up full size armies, as I love painting and I love having a supply of parts for other conversions. But this battletome could be the one thing that makes me ditch skirmish and try out full size armies (Something I moved over to 6mm to do, as it's cheaper and looks amazing even in smaller spaces) I've enjoyed every AoS release this year so far, some less, some more. But this one is going to be the best yet!

• Like 3

I tell you what, it's clearly not on the cards at all, but just looking at those Christmas scene pictures if they did want to reinvent Gobbos for Aos as something more interesting than just mini, put upon, orcs then turning back the clock and leaning heavily into the traditional folklore of goblins as mischievous, malicious, magical sprites would be fantastic.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, JPjr said:

I tell you what, it's clearly not on the cards at all, but just looking at those Christmas scene pictures if they did want to reinvent Gobbos for Aos as something more interesting than just mini, put upon, orcs then turning back the clock and leaning heavily into the traditional folklore of goblins as mischievous, malicious, magical sprites would be fantastic. 

That's the exact feeling I'm getting with the art though! It is probably just how they have incorporated them in to the art to make it 'christmasy' but the goblins poking out the tree and hiding in the house feels like they are up to no good!
This would be amazing if they went this route for the fluff though, rather than, like you say, bullied mini orcs.
The shadespire defiantly had more of a magical feel to them though- the captured sprite as a lantern gave them a more dark fantasy feel, akin to the dark crystal or labyrinth goblins.

Still, even they don't go the folklore path, it's an easy fix for the collector! A good bits box and some imaginative colour schemes and its all good!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

If dispossessed don’t get something eventually I will cry. If they happen to get the revamp I’m hoping for I will buy the collectors edition battle tome, a regular battletome and any accessories they add along their release. I know I’m just one person but I have a deep love for my dwarfs. Also as others have said doesn’t detract from me wanting/owning some of the new AoS only factions. I think it would be good idea anyway to have some more grounded factions that people who aren’t entirely convinced on the over the top setting can get into. 

What gives me some hope for Dispossessed is my memory of the 8th edition Dwarf releases. I remember at the time there was a lot of grumbling (for Dwarfs, anyway) about the new aesthetic of the Ironbreakers/Drakes in particular, that their design seemed a bit too curved and flat, almost closer to Space Marines than they were befitting the traditional Dwarf. Considering AoS - despite how obviously rushed it was - would presumably have been on the cards at this point, it's entirely possible that was deliberate.

It could just as easily mean absolutely nothing mind you and be me reading too much into it. I think if Dispossessed get anything it will be in a Battletome: Free Peoples rather than their own dedicated book however.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

What gives me some hope for Dispossessed is my memory of the 8th edition Dwarf releases. I remember at the time there was a lot of grumbling (for Dwarfs, anyway) about the new aesthetic of the Ironbreakers/Drakes in particular, that their design seemed a bit too curved and flat, almost closer to Space Marines than they were befitting the traditional Dwarf. Considering AoS - despite how obviously rushed it was - would presumably have been on the cards at this point, it's entirely possible that was deliberate.

It could just as easily mean absolutely nothing mind you and be me reading too much into it. I think if Dispossessed get anything it will be in a Battletome: Free Peoples rather than their own dedicated book however.

I think the greatest issue with Dispossesed  is the lack of centerpiece modelas and variety. They would need a DoK revamp, not just a Bt.

Thing is DoK only got 3 new sculpts. Morathi and two duel kits. And GW has done triple kits in the past so its not beyond them to do a couple of new sculpts and kits to flesh out a faction. 

So they could be very readily brought up to standard with only a few minor additions to their current army. Heck look at Fyreslayers, they are not that big a faction in terms of model diversity. 

18 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

think the greatest issue with Dispossesed  is the lack of centerpiece modelas and variety. They would need a DoK revamp, not just a Bt.

Let me disagree. I invite you to the Dispossessed page, Order. 

We have an healty debate, down there, on the matter 🤗

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

I think the greatest issue with Dispossesed  is the lack of centerpiece modelas and variety. They would need a DoK revamp, not just a Bt.

Aye that’s true, but like @Furuzzolo said, we’ve had this debated a lot in the Dispossessed discussion. Basically to sum it up, new cavalry, and maybe an avatar of an ancestor god.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

IIRC, there were rumours of a stone golem before the army book was released. A model like that would be enough for a Dispossesed battletome, since as others have pointed out, the aesthetic doesn't look out of place in AoS (unlike other old armies).

I think a Dispossesed Tome could happen once GW decides to bring back Grungni back into the lore and have him guide the Duardin into retaking Chamon from Tzeentch. GW could also use Grungi to forge all sort of new machines and weapons for the Disspossesed.

though I am not sure how strain his relationship is with the Duradin that it could be irreconcilable at this point in time

Grungni is back in the lore. He appears in the Eight Lamentations novels. The duardin seem to know about him, since he has a bunch as his buddies and servants. He is out there doing stuff, though he isn't necessarily 100% aligned with Sigmar (pretty sure he is on Sigmar's side, but disagrees on how to handle things)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Furuzzolo said:

Let me disagree. I invite you to the Dispossessed page, Order. 

We have an healty debate, down there, on the matter 🤗

8 hours ago, Ragnar Alpaca said:

Aye that’s true, but like @Furuzzolo said, we’ve had this debated a lot in the Dispossessed discussion. Basically to sum it up, new cavalry, and maybe an avatar of an ancestor god.

8 hours ago, Jator said:

IIRC, there were rumours of a stone golem before the army book was released. A model like that would be enough for a Dispossesed battletome, since as others have pointed out, the aesthetic doesn't look out of place in AoS (unlike other old armies).

It is indeed the kind of models i would expect for a Dispossessed revamp!

As a player from an old armie (High Elves) myself, it would be great to see this classic Dwarf range back into the tables.

Fascinating that Firebellies are still stated as separate in that article.

From the day the factions were announced, I have had an inclining that the meme-worthy, solitary Firebelly might be on its own for a reason.

Ice Ogres and Fire Ogres. It would be a nice juxtaposition too...

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kyriakin said:

Fascinating that Firebellies are still stated as separate in that article.

From the day the factions were announced, I have had an inclining that the meme-worthy, solitary Firebelly might be on its own for a reason.

Ice Ogres and Fire Ogres. It would be a nice juxtaposition too...

If they built gutbusters into a new faction centred around a buffed Firebelly, I would be A-OK with that. Also cool if it was new barefoot sculpts instead.

17 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

In the early days of citadel and Warhammer the dwarfs had lots of great ideas.  Nick Lund's Chronicle range for citadel was going to expand if it wasn't for some manager and him not seeing eye to eye and leaving.  he'd already dreamed up dwarf bear cavalry, and the fluff back in the day talked of animated stone statues infused with ancestor runes.

Think of them like this...

They got quite a few new bits and pieces during 8th ed near end times.  That's important because by the time end times hit the shelves the mothership had already pushed the button on AoS, and anything that came along in the Warhammer 8th ed and specifically end times as we now know, was sculpted with an AoS aesthetic in mind.

Like beasts, they're not dead and gone.  They'll get their moment, whether written into their own disposessed book as beasts were or rewritten into an entirely new faction with a brand new lore and back ground as the Flesh eaters and daughters of khaine were. 

I think what might be a plan is for a thread to pull together references and mentions in the extended fluff such as Hammerhall herald and various novels.  Sure it's nothing concrete but can give an indication of which way the faction is going in the eyes of the writers.

I can't wait for that moon to come into full view and it be the bad moon, I'm going to be really surprised and a bit disappointing if they don't do that tbh. Do you think this is a sort of countdown for some Moonclan info maybe being posted on the community site on Christmas day? 

• Like 2