The Rumour Thread

On 4/20/2016 at 6:43 AM, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Rumour: Allegiances of the Realms

Type: Soft cover book

Date expected: September 2016

Contents: New book to update all existing factions with Allegiance Abilities, Command Traits, Artefacts and Lores  

Source: Scanner on Spikybits

Estimated cost: £10-15

So... how likely do we think this one really is? Can anyone send this poor, hopeful sap a link to the Spikybits post where it was revealed?

39 minutes ago, hobgoblinclub said:

I thought this had been confirmed. I find it strange that GW were so up front with the General's Handbook, and let us know it was coming way in advance, yet they make us wait for everything else. I'd love to see transparency when it comes to the release schedule.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Eh. It's a corporate decision-making culture thing. It can take a while for those sorts of things to change, and sometimes they backslide. I've been very impressed with their changes up till now, and one backward step isn't going to change that.

• Like 1

Eh. It's a corporate decision-making culture thing. It can take a while for those sorts of things to change, and sometimes they backslide. I've been very impressed with their changes up till now, and one backward step isn't going to change that.

Absolutely. I wasn't banging on them. They've made some amazing decisions recently. I never thought I'd see White Dwarf proper return, for example. It just seems like other major miniatures companies make their release schedule public and it current hurt them. I get the reasons not too, but I feel it's getting time to 'let us in'.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the downside of having a public schedule is a potential backlash, if you need to change it for whatever reason or being (truthfully or falsely) accused of playing favourites for certain factions.

It's nice to know what's coming, but in practice it only meant that I've looked at the releases when my own faction got something. I feel there is some sense in keeping things air tight, it makes us check whenever there is an update and makes discussion going when small bits of rumours are posted.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

It's Silver Towers. I think this is for the second part of the 40K Fenris Battlezone campaign. So this is probably all the Tzeentch stuff that has been rumoured as well as the ones around Primarch models #wolftime

Be interesting to see if there is anything new for Age of Sigmar though with this release, as it would be cool to see a new Lord of Change model.

21 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm afraid some love for the Thousand Sons will cause me to pick up some 40K stuff, even though I haven't played much at all this edition. I'd love to add to my 30k Thousand Sons I started in 2010?

Same here but I have a small mountain of marines to paint up so heading in that direction anyway (and my local group play a lot of 40K).

10 minutes ago, Shane said:

Sneaky Thousand Sons snake in the background there.

Those Silver Towers are too big. FW would probably do them if they were Khorne.

Fingers crossed for a month of Tzeentch. Let's do this!

Good spot Batman!

Month of Tzeentch would be cool but unfortuanlty I think there will be little Age of Sigmar content bar some model updates. Would be nice to have a Exaulted Flamer model on it's own rather than having to have the Chariot kit.

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Keep in mind that the downside of having a public schedule is a potential backlash, if you need to change it for whatever reason or being (truthfully or falsely) accused of playing favourites for certain factions.

It's nice to know what's coming, but in practice it only meant that I've looked at the releases when my own faction got something. I feel there is some sense in keeping things air tight, it makes us check whenever there is an update and makes discussion going when small bits of rumours are posted.

Not sure I agree with this.  Take a look at Fantasy Flight.  They announce things months in advance.  Then do 4 or 5 preview articles to boot.  They don't give specific release dates, more like time frames.  i.e. an 'on the boat status' means it's still about 2-3 weeks from the store shelves. iirc.  FFG has a great relationship with their customers.  I mean, just look through their forums.  You will see very little FFG bashing in there.

Anyway, they are always going to hear about how they are biased.  That's just how things work. Unless they change the way they do releases to be more like Warmahordes, and release new models for all factions at once, they are never going to get out from under that.  And even if they did change their release planning, they'd still get it, because reasons. ;)

Anyway, all of that said.  I really like the direction they've been going, except for the fact that they hate Grand Alliance Death, my proof is reasons.  Seriously... Where are my Deathrattle and Soulblight at? ;) 

1 hour ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Not sure I agree with this.  Take a look at Fantasy Flight.  They announce things months in advance.  Then do 4 or 5 preview articles to boot.  They don't give specific release dates, more like time frames.  i.e. an 'on the boat status' means it's still about 2-3 weeks from the store shelves. iirc.  FFG has a great relationship with their customers.  I mean, just look through their forums.  You will see very little FFG bashing in there.

Thing is they have a lot of disparate systems without tons of crossover.  If I buy one release I won't feel like I should have waited when something else hits in a different system.  Where with GW it's sort of the opposite.  If people saw everything that was coming you'd see most people just waiting for what they want out of the line-up and not venturing into other areas for their "fix".  

Also, if you spend enough time on Dakka half the conversation is about which army should have gotten the update and whether or not the update was good enough.

• Like 3

Just now, daedalus81 said:

Thing is they have a lot of disparate systems without tons of crossover.  If I buy one release I won't feel like I should have waited when something else hits in a different system.  Where with GW it's sort of the opposite.  If people saw everything that was coming you'd see most people just waiting for what they want out of the line-up and not venturing into other areas for their "fix".  

Also, if you spend enough time on Dakka half the conversation is about which army should have gotten the update and whether or not the update was good enough.

Fair points... But I'm relatively certain Death should have gotten the update, and the update was ****** anyway... ;)

Seriously though.  I understand what you mean, and don't necessarily disagree with you.  But I also feel like that is somewhat a product of GW's previous standard operating procedure, which 40k is still suffering from.  

AOS has many differences in it's mechanics and presentation that I think will limit it's exposure to those issues.

• AoS doesn't have killer armies.  There is no Eldar here.  Most armies can pull out wins if lists are built well and played well.
  • AoS has smaller armies.  Meaning I can have a few favorite armies.
  • AoS Grand Alliances encourage you to be interested in at least (theoretically) 1/4 of the AoS world... Although at this point, Death and Destruction lag behind in updates and armies, I don't suspect this will always be the case.
  • AoS has more ways to play.  Not everything in AoS is about the competitive player.  Meaning that as long as they continue to put forth armies who at least seem like the writer(s) of their battletomes cared about them, there should be generally positive reception.

That's all I can think of for now. ;)

But at the end of the day, I guess my main thrust is that GW has been making the move toward being a more customer focused organization, and that can be nothing but good for them.  Visibility in terms of releases can't really hurt them I don't think. I'm not suggesting they go as far as FFG with months lead on what is coming out, but I think a few weeks lead up, with a couple of articles discussing mechanics and fluff would be well received in general. 

Also, if you are correct about this, what does it say about GW that the only way they can get people to buy their latest product is if they keep what you really want hidden away, so you have to get your fix somewhere else?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Also, if you are correct about this, what does it say about GW that the only way they can get people to buy their latest product is if they keep what you really want hidden away, so you have to get your fix somewhere else?

It isn't the only way, but when your competing for dollars against video games, movies, and the like you need to capture interest at every corner to be successful.

I like GW's direction as well. There is just a je ne sais quoi with the nature and spontaneity of the unknown in the rumor mill.  Instead of checking GW's web page every month or so for updates I'm hitting the forums on a regular basis to see what else might have popped up.

Edited by daedalus81
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

There is just a je ne sais quoi with the nature and spontaneity of the unknown in the rumor mill.  Instead of checking GW's web page every month or so for updates I'm hitting the forums on a regular basis to see what else might have popped up.

This is an excellent point.  In a way, the mystery behind the releases may even bring the community together a little more.

• Like 1

Not to be off topic here but I think the rumour aspect of GW, in some ways at least, is a positive for them. I'm always going through my feeds looking to see any hints of what's coming. It creates excitement. There are pluses and negatives to anything of course. For me, when the reveal finally does come, I am more inclined to spend money because of that wave of excitement, rather than after the news has worn off a few weeks later. They could do with more hints and teasers though just to keep everyone on the hook and not make the future look bleak at times.

1 minute ago, daedalus81 said:

Reeealllly.....guess there is a book I need to go read.

Well it's the end of the all - gates book I can type it out if you want but it's got a lot of good stories in there. They also note Grungi vanished and sigmar is looking for him and they drop that the realm of light and shadow are opening up. 

Oh and the ironjaws have a really orky story in there. 

• Like 2

warhammer+ageof+sigmar+artwork+all+gates

"The battle for control of the mortal realms continued. While gods and demigods pondered their next moves, and the sigmarabulum rang to the hammer blows of reforging, an insidious evil was taking form, solidifying out of the pure madness that is the realm of chaos. 

Nine in number, the gaunt summoners hailed from the Crystal Labyrinth. There, the coven had created Whisperfane - an impossible mind - maze filled with deadly illusion, and one of the dreaded Silver Towers. With a push of their unfathomable minds, the Gaunt summoners could shift these twisted citadels into the reality of the Mortal Realms. There, many a brave warrior would be lured inside with the promises of riches untold. Many entered, yet few returned. 

Plans within plans, plots within plots. Who can tell the endgame of those cabalistic sorcerers? Their methods insane, their goals inscrutable - yet it is said in ancient and little understood rhymes that `death becomes the smallest fear when the Sliver Towers appear`

Fear them, for they are coming............. "

Yeah this image is a two spread image and the last page of the story of the All - gates campaign book with this passage on the right hand side. Plus Grungi has gone missing suddenly. Coincidence? Oh and all the sliver tower stuff is part of the tzeentch Arcanites don't you think it's strange that GW told us to use other profiles when points came out? 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, polarbear said:

Not to be off topic here but I think the rumour aspect of GW, in some ways at least, is a positive for them. I'm always going through my feeds looking to see any hints of what's coming. It creates excitement. There are pluses and negatives to anything of course. For me, when the reveal finally does come, I am more inclined to spend money because of that wave of excitement, rather than after the news has worn off a few weeks later. They could do with more hints and teasers though just to keep everyone on the hook and not make the future look bleak at times.

So this.

Not even been on the gw website since the monthly magazine. Read it in a morning, now nothing until next month..

Previously every sat I'd be waiting for my magazine, popping on their website waiting for the update checking out the newest models etc.

The lack of information coming out is a real downer