The Rumour Thread

2 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

GW's profits are up, and 2017 is starting with a bang. Looks like the ship's turned around. After 15 years, we may finally be hearing the end of the constant "GW is going under any day now" talk.

Mate, I have read people on internet forums say in all honesty that Games Workshop has been circling the drain since they raised prices to 1GBP per model, or moved from lead to pewter / white metal.

For the people who want to see GW fail, all the evidence in the world will not change their view in the slightest.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mhsellwood said:

Mate, I have read people on internet forums say in all honesty that Games Workshop has been circling the drain since they raised prices to 1GBP per model, or moved from lead to pewter / white metal.

For the people who want to see GW fail, all the evidence in the world will not change their view in the slightest.

Did they even have the internet back then?

• Like 1

Just been for a quick nostalgia lurk on Dakka. There is still one guy I knew I could rely on for rolling out all the favourites. Exchange rate, computer games, price gouging, increasing prices, closing stores. Even the old "AH, BUT AOS DOESN'T APPEAR ON ICV2!!!"
Totally cannot countenance the possibility GW is doing well.

Although he did have a new one on me - AoS isn't outselling 40k because it's doing well, 40k is selling poorly because people are worried it'll get AoS'd. ?
Anyway, back to regular programming...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Just been for a quick nostalgia lurk on Dakka. There is still one guy I knew I could rely on for rolling out all the favourites. Exchange rate, computer games, price gouging, increasing prices, closing stores. Even the old "AH, BUT AOS DOESN'T APPEAR ON ICV2!!!"
Totally cannot countenance the possibility GW is doing well.

Although he did have a new one on me - AoS isn't outselling 40k because it's doing well, 40k is selling poorly because people are worried it'll get AoS'd. ?
Anyway, back to regular programming...

As someone who is new to warhammer and aos. I would like a 40k army too, but it seems too confusing with too many rules and things which is what is putting me off. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mhsellwood said:

Indeed, many people still feel that AOS is going to get canceled and it's not selling at all still people are also starting admit that in the end people are voting with their wallets. 

You should of seen the total war forums with the beastman DLC release oh boy. 

5 minutes ago, Riavan said:

As someone who is new to warhammer and aos. I would like a 40k army too, but it seems too confusing with too many rules and things which is what is putting me off. 

Trust me mate I am the same way I am not bothered to go through all of it and I personally don't want to deal with all the rule arguments that go on in my GW store either on not being clear on something. Or a rule that cancels another rule etc. 

Edited by shinros

Wellp all I know is after talking to a buddy of mine, he wants to start AOS doing a Nurgle mixed army, which I was originally going to do.  So in light of that, I think it's time for a change.  Happy Tzaanuary!

RE: GW itself, my view is as it always has been lately:  They are improving, but time will tell if it's legit.  If 8th edition 40k doesn't fix it, if prices continue to go up (a few bundles here and there aren't enough IMHO) it will show that everything they are doing is just token "Hey look we've changed" and not real change.  Color me skeptical but for over 15 years this company was probably giving EA a run for its money as the worst company in the world.  A few improvements within the past year isn't enough to wash away that stink, especially not when the same people seem to keep gushing over everything they do as the absolute best thing ever.

Edited by wayniac
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

Did they even have the internet back then?

Nope. You know the complaint was forged in those days because it is recalls ancient writings.

"ye, the wolf of hunger known as Kirby fell on the flock in those times and much treasure was drained. Skies darkened, and some say a calf with two heads and eight legs and two bodies was born. And when prices went to 1 GBP the end times were upon us. Verily, since then the once great Games Workshop has been digging its own grave."

• Like 2

Just now, mhsellwood said:

Nope. You know the complaint was forged in those days because it is recalls ancient writings.

"ye, the wolf of hunger known as Kirby fell on the flock in those times and much treasure was drained. Skies darkened, and some say a calf with two heads and eight legs and two bodies was born. And when prices went to 1 GBP the end times were upon us. Verily, since then the once great Games Workshop has been digging its own grave."

You forgot "So let it be written, so let it be done" :P

Seriously though, the complaint has never been "GW is going bankrupt" it has been for many years that GW keeps turning a profit at the expense of dwindling sales, ergo was not sustainable longterm (because if your sales constantly decrease, even if you are profitable there's a point at which you will no longer be profitable).  however the pro-GW crowd turned that into "People have been saying GW is dying for years" when nobody said "GW is dying" they said "GW is losing sales" which was proven by the financial reports.  On forums like Dakka and Warseer we had actual financial analysts say this stuff, and it was still dismissed by the GW "fanboys" as being nonsense.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Riavan said:

As a long time vet, I'm starting to find AoS going that same direction.  Maybe I'm getting old, but compared to AoS at its beginning, I'm finding it confusing to make a force now. 

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

You forgot "So let it be written, so let it be done" [emoji14]
Seriously though, the complaint has never been "GW is going bankrupt" it has been for many years that GW keeps turning a profit at the expense of dwindling sales, ergo was not sustainable longterm (because if your sales constantly decrease, even if you are profitable there's a point at which you will no longer be profitable).  however the pro-GW crowd turned that into "People have been saying GW is dying for years" when nobody said "GW is dying" they said "GW is losing sales" which was proven by the financial reports.  On forums like Dakka and Warseer we had actual financial analysts say this stuff, and it was still dismissed by the GW "fanboys" as being nonsense.

I take your point, but certainly on WS and DD the voices of legitimate (balanced?) concern are the minority.
Even with the latest set of financials, there are still those arguing (in a couple of cases, screaming) that AoS remains the beginning of the end.
You don't need to be a fanboy to see that objectively, the company has improved dramatically over the last 18 months on all fronts.
For myself, I think that a large number of "splash" box releases and IP licensing have certainly helped, but I think the biggest light in the company right now (and the surest sign things are on the up) is that they have at long last acknowledged the community exists and are actively engaging with them beyond operating a till.

• Like 2

There will be limited Tzeentch dice!

I might actually look at buying those if possible if I am going to do the Tzeentch army. I just wish that they gave more dice because with the amount of dice that you end up rolling you sometimes need a lot.

And let's be honest here they are grossly overpriced for just being dice but they damn sure look cool

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

I heard the dice had been specially manufactured to guarantee that they always come up the result on the opposite side of the die to the one that it would have been.

Haha 

I am so torn over limited dice! I totally don't need them and honestly my money is better spent elsewhere but DAMN THEY ARE COOL

• Like 1